• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Encore presentations?

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
How often do they let you sit through a sales meeting and then an encore presentation?

Can you get encore offers on an encore stay?

I’m really good at saying no and I like staying for cheap at Marriott properties :)

Jerrygomi

TUG Member
Reaction score
How often do they let you sit through a sales meeting and then an encore presentation?

Can you get encore offers on an encore stay?

I’m really good at saying no and I like staying for cheap at Marriott properties :)
It seems one can do encore presentations quite frequently. I did my third consecutive in San diego today after the previous one in September. Marriott offered me another encore today: four nights at San Diego pulse and 200,000 bonvoy points for $1495 or 125,000 bonvoy points for $995, valet parking included. I said no thank you because the value of bonvoy points has been diluted so much recently.

Reactions: jme

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think you can have more than one open Encore. Meaning you would have to take a presentation on the first before you could buy a second. Though I am sure some people have had multiple open at the same time. As indicated, the Encore person is always going to try and sell you another. Their bonus and commission is based on it. I recall a presentation in Myrtle Beach and overheard the sales person tell the Encore guy that we weren't to be offered a package. We didn't have one open, but for some reason they always thought we did. I suspect the thought in his head when the sales person told him that was "to hell with that" and he offered us one anyway.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
I don't think you can have more than one open Encore. Meaning you would have to take a presentation on the first before you could buy a second. Though I am sure some people have had multiple open at the same time. As indicated, the Encore person is always going to try and sell you another. Their bonus and commission is based on it. I recall a presentation in Myrtle Beach and overheard the sales person tell the Encore guy that we weren't to be offered a package. We didn't have one open, but for some reason they always thought we did. I suspect the thought in his head when the sales person told him that was "to hell with that" and he offered us one anyway.

So on each encore presentation expect to be offered another? That’s pretty sweet. I have a week at cypress harbour in Orlando effectively for $950 after the $550 GC to show up that is pending. My husband laughs because they can’t talk me in circles and they get flustered and frustrated.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
I can confirm you cannot have more than one open at a time. I have one for July and received a call offering me a package. Once they figured out I had an open encore they told me I had to wait until after that trip to book another.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
It seems one can do encore presentations quite frequently. I did my third consecutive in San diego today after the previous one in September. Marriott offered me another encore today: four nights at San Diego pulse and 200,000 bonvoy points for $1495 or 125,000 bonvoy points for $995, valet parking included. I said no thank you because the value of bonvoy points has been diluted so much recently.

Are Encore presentations so great? Are they in peak seasons or are they typically in shoulder or off seasons? My thinking - lets say a 4 day stay was worth 400 points per night for weekdays and I rented points at $.70 per point. So 1,600 points at $.70 equals $980. So, why would I spend 2 to 3 hours, the normal presentation time, plus pay $1,500 for an Encore presentation? It certainly isn't the now devalued Bonvoy points that I would get. It must be a really boring resort when one resorts to spending vacation time in sales presentations.

It seems timeshare people pay outrageous prices for vacations and then are so starved for bargains that they do it again for a sales presentation.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Are Encore presentations so great? Are they in peak seasons or are they typically in shoulder or off seasons? My thinking - lets say a 4 day stay was worth 400 points per night for weekdays and I rented points at $.70 per point. So 1,600 points at $.70 equals $980. So, why would I spend 2 to 3 hours, the normal presentation time, plus pay $1,500 for an Encore presentation? It certainly isn't the now devalued Bonvoy points that I would get. It must be a really boring resort when one resorts to spending vacation time in sales presentations.

It seems timeshare people pay outrageous prices for vacations and then are so starved for bargains that they do it again for a sales presentation.
I've never spent more than 90 minutes much less 2-3 hours. That's plain crazy.

Encores can be a good deal, but you do have to do the math on the particular offer. I certainly don't pay outrageous prices for my vacations.

Jerrygomi

TUG Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, the Marriott sales people seem to be as eager as I am for a short presentation. I haven’t spent a full hour in one recently, though most of them have been virtual presentations. My salesperson yesterday Claims they are so busy with virtual that they don’t won’t to waste time.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

For the most part, they aren't a great deal. Think of some of the offers. $1000 for the Encore and you get 100,000 Bonvoy or equivalent. There may be a $200 add on fee for certain times of the year or additional fees for a larger unit. In most cases, I can book a getaway for a few hundred dollars and they will invite me to a presentation where I get 30-40,000 Bonvoy and I paid nothing except my time to attend a presentation. Which I have to do with the Encore anyway. They can sometimes be an okay deal in places where getaways or exchanges are not as easy to get, but in those places, the Encore might be more like $1,500 or $1,900.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I've never spent more than 90 minutes much less 2-3 hours. That's plain crazy.

Encores can be a good deal, but you do have to do the math on the particular offer. I certainly don't pay outrageous prices for my vacations.
I suspect you are in the minority with the 90 minutes and I admire your ability to control the behind the scenes deliberations about how to convince us to buy and then the follow-up people trying to sell us some other trinket. We and many others have never experienced your success. Good for you.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau

I have a one week stay at MGO July 8th - 15 for $1799 in exchange for a 90 minute presentation. I thought that was a pretty fair deal. The last 90 I did was 90 exactly and I told them that when the 90 was done we had an appointment to get to. They respected that and didn't bother us beyond that.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a one week stay at MGO July 8th - 15 for $1799 in exchange for a 90 minute presentation. I thought that was a pretty fair deal. The last 90 I did was 90 exactly and I told them that when the 90 was done we had an appointment to get to. They respected that and didn't bother us beyond that.
Interesting, but does not sound like an Encore presentation. Was this an Encore promotion or something else? I'm glad they let you escape to make it to your other appointment. Now they have another bite at the apple - not a bad deal for MGO stay.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Great deal! You can’t rent a week at MGO that inexpensively during ANYTIME in summer, so based on that alone, it’s a winner. Take a look at Redweek rental listings and it’ll startle you. And I suppose you got another incentive gift or two thrown into the mix…I’ve never seen an Encore pkg that didn’t have multiple items included—-gift cards, Bonvoy Points, Destination Points, etc….Enjoy, you’ll love it. Hope the temps are ok, but expect some 90+ days. No problem, there’s always some water to jump into.

Last edited:

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great deal! You can’t rent a week at MGO that inexpensively during ANYTIME in summer, so based on that alone, it’s a winner. Take a look at Redweek rental listings and it’ll startle you. And I suppose you got another incentive gift or two thrown into the mix…I’ve never seen an Encore pkg that didn’t have multiple items included—-gift cards, Bonvoy Points, Destination Points, etc….Enjoy, you’ll love it. Hope the temps are ok, but expect some 90+ days. No problem, there’s always some water to jump into.

Mine im waiting until next spring break to use had a single $550 gift card

Reactions: jme

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
I suspect you are in the minority with the 90 minutes and I admire your ability to control the behind the scenes deliberations about how to convince us to buy and then the follow-up people trying to sell us some other trinket. We and many others have never experienced your success. Good for you.
I’ve done at least a dozen in the last 2 - 3 years and have never come close to one going 2 - 3 hours unless you end up buying something. I set my alarm for exactly 90 mins and when it goes off I say times up and thank you very much. They can’t keep you longer. And I always get the incentive beforehand so they can’t hang that over your head either.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Never receive < 1c per point (that's a choice I make), and never go 2 hours let alone 3. I guess YMMV. As others have mentioned, you are free to leave after 90 minutes whether they want you to or not. Just leave. It's not rude, that was the agreement.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the most part, they aren't a great deal. Think of some of the offers. $1000 for the Encore and you get 100,000 Bonvoy or equivalent. There may be a $200 add on fee for certain times of the year or additional fees for a larger unit. In most cases, I can book a getaway for a few hundred dollars and they will invite me to a presentation where I get 30-40,000 Bonvoy and I paid nothing except my time to attend a presentation. Which I have to do with the Encore anyway. They can sometimes be an okay deal in places where getaways or exchanges are not as easy to get, but in those places, the Encore might be more like $1,500 or $1,900.
You sure those numbers are right? I'd do that deal. 100,000 Bonvoy when I use them are $1,000. So, if the Encore was $1,000 I'm even, it's free.

Of course, it's free anyway using your Getaway example. It all comes down to the time of year and what is included. But I wouldn't call your sample numbers a not great deal. It would take a few getaways to make the same points and that means more time. Sort of a wash at those numbers, at least the way I look at it.

dj_drf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a sales presentation at MOC in January. Because we have an open Encore package, they told us we weren't eligible for another. In conversation, we were told that MVC considers acceptance of an encore offer to be an indication that a member's vacation wishes exceed their ownership level because they often aren't a great financial deal. And so they use this as a means to identify targets.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
We did a sales presentation at MOC in January. Because we have an open Encore package, they told us we weren't eligible for another. In conversation, we were told that MVC considers acceptance of an encore offer to be an indication that a member's vacation wishes exceed their ownership level because they often aren't a great financial deal. And so they use this as a means to identify targets.
But they ARE a pretty great financial deal. I've bought a ton of them, they're always a great deal.

The one I have currently is four nights in 1 1-br Premium at Westin Desert Willow, $695 including 50,000 Bonvoy points.

Online valuations for Bonvoy points are about 0.84¢ each, so the points are worth $420 (though I can usually get more value out of them than that.) So I'm paying $275 for four nights in a one bedroom premium (the larger size of the lockoff, with full kitchen.) That's a great deal.

Deals are similar at other properties, in my experience.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
We have found the marketing preview presentations offered by specific properties to be a great value. Our favorite is Newport Coast. Package starts at $99 prepaid upfront. Price goes to $299 for dates in March, April, July and August (previously was $199 for those months). 2 bedroom villa for 3 nights/2 days. Several rules if you can deal with them ($99 prepaid up front, you can only book 10 months out, you only have 1 year from purchase to use, must attend a presentation. The first two times we bought the package it came with $99 Amex gift card after presentation. Headed for 3rd trip in June which includes a Friday and Saturday night stay for $99