• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does your credit card cover rental car accidents?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. I think the Chase Sapphire Reserve covers that. But, I had an issue when I rented a car to tour colleges with my daughter in unfamiliar territory. Use AMEX or Chase Sapphire but check the coverage first. I took out a right view mirror once and it cost mega-bucks since I waived the insurance.

Yes, CSR covers up to $75,000 as primary insurance before you have to go to your own insurance. Max rental day is 31 days. Every scenario different, so always read the fine print!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many years I never had an accident with a rental car. This year I had my first. I cut a corner too tight on a narrow road with a rock wall. I heard a crunch, and this was the damage.
View attachment 74984
Just got the estimate from the rental agency, $2600. It doesn't seem unreasonable since 3 panels were damaged and were starting to rust 7 days later when I returned the car (in Kauai). Fortunately, my the insurance for my car at home covered everything except the deductible, and my credit card covered the deductible. I won't owe a thing except perhaps an increase in my premium. I've probably saved a great deal over the years by not paying extra for the rental agency's optional insurance. If you have a credit card that covers rental car accidents, be sure to use it when you rent a car.
I posted on TUG a few years ago about our drive to Montana when a turkey hit the rental car headlight bounced twice on the hood before hitting the windshield. We were left with a hanging passenger side headlight,2 dents on the hood. I can't remember the total cost but think it was something like $2800. We had to pay it then our insurance reimbursed us for all except our $1000 deductible which our Mstcharge card reimbursed us for. Keep good records and make sure all travel expenses done on that same card. Both insurance and credit card were great to deal with. Just took a while.
Bart

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Costco a few weeks ago about CDW coverage for travel in the USA. Coverage is up to $50,000 but it is secondary to our primary insurance. The free, second driver, does not need to be a Costco member.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the Amex Premium rental car coverage include loss of use? Rental car companies often tell me that "those types of insurance" don't cover loss of use and they can still charge me for loss of use in an accident.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have an umbrella policy which covers literally everything. Last time I used it was when I managed to knock out cable TV and internet for 750 people using an excavator. I'd rather have that (and enjoy the better sleep that comes with never having to worry about lawsuits), than trust a credit card company to uphold their end of any contract.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Discover

Discover cards limit CDW coverage to $25,000 and don’t cover loss of use fees.
didn't realize Discover had rental car coverage at all til this

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have an umbrella policy which covers literally everything. Last time I used it was when I managed to knock out cable TV and internet for 750 people using an excavator. I'd rather have that (and enjoy the better sleep that comes with never having to worry about lawsuits), than trust a credit card company to uphold their end of any contract.

Since you’re posting in a car rental thread you might want to confirm your umbrella covers car rentals similarly to credit cards. Based on what I know, it does not. It simply provides excess coverage for numerous items.

In my experience, there’s nothing easier than the AMEX premium coverage. Of course, it’s been a long time since I had an AMEX claim so perhaps it’s not the same. But, I’d rather not have to involve my personal policies when renting a car (which is the case when renting internationally) whenever possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Does the Amex Premium rental car coverage include loss of use? Rental car companies often tell me that "those types of insurance" don't cover loss of use and they can still charge me for loss of use in an accident.
Last time I checked it did.

Kurt

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
About 4 years ago, while on Maui, someone damaged my rental car when parked. No witnesses - - just some damage that I noticed after-the-fact. IIRC, something under $1K. My credit card covered most of the damage. But I ended up having to submit about 45 pages of documents. That included some rental car contract documents that I didn't originally receive (and had to have sent to me). It seemed to be hurdle after hurdle. Three or four times I thought that I had provided everything that they wanted and .... then they demanded yet more documentation. I suspect that they were trying to wear me down. But in the end, the credit card covered the majority of the claim. My own insurance paid $7.
I had the same thing happen to me on Maui, at roughly the same time. The $ value was only in the $400-$500 range. Our United Mileage+ folks handled it with little fuss.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your
Wow. I think the Chase Sapphire Reserve covers that. But, I had an issue when I rented a car to tour colleges with my daughter in unfamiliar territory. Use AMEX or Chase Sapphire but check the coverage first. I took out a right view mirror once and it cost mega-bucks since I waived the insurance.
You didn't have credit card insurance to help with the cost?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Over the last 25 years, we’ve had a few incidents.

Rock chips to the windshield while driving in the mountains - covered

Rear ended by an inattentive, texting driver - her insurance paid that claim. No cost to us

We had a hawk fly into the side of our rental car while driving down the highway and it knocked some molding off the car - covered

Ran over a nail causing a flat tire - not covered by the CC or our insurance. $250 charge for a new tire.

Overall the savings have far outweighed the cost of the CDW. We’ve rented cars from 14 to 28 days per year. We’ve never been asked to pay a “loss of use fee” to this point.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Costco a few weeks ago about CDW coverage for travel in the USA. Coverage is up to $50,000 but it is secondary to our primary insurance.
I checked my coverage online with Costco VISA and also found that to be true. But it's primary coverage internationally, so I plan to use it next year when I go to France and rent a car as part of my trip.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've probably saved a great deal over the years by not paying extra for the rental agency's optional insurance. If you have a credit card that covers rental car accidents, be sure to use it when you rent a car.
The sad part I find with us is that, when we go to the rental counter, the agent there tries to sell us the extra coverage that you mentioned. The agent also tries to convince us that our CC and personal car insurance do not cover things like CDW loss of use, etc. Heck, I wonder if some of these agents used to be timeshare sales people.

ChicagoDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe x2
Hyatt Highlands Inn
Renaissance Aruba
Westin Lagunamar
As someone who works in the insurance business, I can tell you firsthand that most personal automobile insurance (and umbrella) policies will not cover loss of use or diminished value resulting from an accident. Not all rental car companies are as aggressive as others when it comes to pushing for payment under these categories of loss (Hertz is extremely aggressive). Your personal automobile insurance policy will cover you for collision/comprehensive damage as well as any liability you might cause when driving the rental car. You will be responsible for a deductible, which may be covered/reimbursed under your credit card additional benefits.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
For many years I never had an accident with a rental car. This year I had my first. I cut a corner too tight on a narrow road with a rock wall. I heard a crunch, and this was the damage.
View attachment 74984
Just got the estimate from the rental agency, $2600. It doesn't seem unreasonable since 3 panels were damaged and were starting to rust 7 days later when I returned the car (in Kauai). Fortunately, my the insurance for my car at home covered everything except the deductible, and my credit card covered the deductible. I won't owe a thing except perhaps an increase in my premium. I've probably saved a great deal over the years by not paying extra for the rental agency's optional insurance. If you have a credit card that covers rental car accidents, be sure to use it when you rent a car.
Final chapter:
1) There were some issues with the "out of service fees" and "admin fees". My auto insurance said they wouldn't pay, but said that sometimes they can get National to drop the charges.
2) The credit card said they would pay the fees if my auto insurance didn't, but they wanted National to provide more detailed logs and repair receipts.
3) I'm not sure if National dropped the extra charges, or if they gave the credit card the extra info, but today I got a letter from National saying that all the necessary payments had been made and the case is closed. :cheer: