• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does vinyl really sound better than other formats?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I loathe vinyl--heavy, clunky, delicate things that require expensive, delicate equipment to use. I absolutely don't get the appeal, especially for most people's ears.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Audio-Technica Announces New Stylus For Vinyl Enthusiasts

Richard

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
ScoopKona thinks vinyl is better

And I think 30ips 1" magnetic tape sounds best of all.

Most people aren't comparing apples to apples or even apples to pineapples. They're comparing crappy, scratched-up record-club records to CDs. Meanwhile, the audiophile labels are still selling small-batch 45rpm two-disc releases of classic albums. And they're being snapped up faster than they can be pressed. A CD player digital audio chip can only create so many different sounds. It generates the sound which is closest to what was on the master tape. It's just as much as compromise as any other format.

Thankfully, I'll be alive to see quantum computers and quantum sampling. That means any title I enjoy will be available in "master audio tape" quality thanks to the same technology currently used to create astrophotography images.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Records skip

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm enjoying our steaming Yamaha receiver and Bose speakers. I do fondly remember my record collection and Marantz amp and Toshiba turn table. Out of all the records I once had, the only one remaining is the Rolling Stones Some Girls with the banned sleeve and I don't remember where I put it, lol.

Bill

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I still have a bunch of LPs from the '60s and '70s. Unfortunately by now a bunch of them sound like they were recorded on sandpaper. There are several favorites that I'm on my third copy.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Me ex got all LP's and cassette tapes in the divorce.
- 24 years ago - I was glad to see 'em go.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are several favorites that I'm on my third copy.

So what are they Doug ? I'm also curious about your stereo system. Mine didn't make it through my kids teen years.

Bill

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still have over fifty plus vinyl LP’s in my collection. Vinyl records are more durable than cassettes. However, vinyl is heavy, the proper storage of a large vinyl LP’s collection can take up a huge amount of space and you will need more electronics equipment to play and hear vinyl. IMHO

The art work on old vinyl album is just incredible and the information on the back of old LP’s is liked a music history lesson.

Last edited:

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I think 30ips 1" magnetic tape sounds best of all.

Most people aren't comparing apples to apples or even apples to pineapples. They're comparing crappy, scratched-up record-club records to CDs. Meanwhile, the audiophile labels are still selling small-batch 45rpm two-disc releases of classic albums. And they're being snapped up faster than they can be pressed. A CD player digital audio chip can only create so many different sounds. It generates the sound which is closest to what was on the master tape. It's just as much as compromise as any other format.

Thankfully, I'll be alive to see quantum computers and quantum sampling. That means any title I enjoy will be available in "master audio tape" quality thanks to the same technology currently used to create astrophotography images.

This does depend on how the audio was mastered in the first place. A lot of mid 80's and beyond was mastered for digital reproduction. I have a decent size CD collection and there is a very wide variety of quality that comes out of my system. Some music just pops using CD because the audio engineers took advantages that digital offered.

Then again there is only so much many of us can hear anymore. I took a quick you tube audio test a few years ago and I don't think I am hearing anything over 16,000 hz. I can still tell if a recording is well mastered and reproduced but would have a hard time taking advantage of any small audio quality changes.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
This is all so outdated - Vinyl might ... maybe ... be "better" than an average MP3 the first time it's played if played on a very expensive soundsystem. But it degrades every time it's played. CDs degrade much much slower, but what really people are comparing to (for anyone serious about this) is going to be FLAC or high quality encoded opus, or other less known compression system. FLAC is lossless and perfect - it never degrades. It can be encoded at better than CD quality, but I strongly doubt there's actually a noticeable loss on a good CD equivalent.

And all of this goes out the window when you're considering most people are NOT using high end audio systems to even potentially notice - most people are using earbuds or car audio. Higher bitrate MP3 max out the reproduction of those speakers IMO.

The reason to use vinyl is the same reason some people get collector press books - it's not about the audio / text alone, it's the entire experience.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Remember the lovely scent after slitting the plastic on a vinyl record? That scent is emblazoned on my brain. Love that smell from my younger years. Nothing like it.

Streaming is great, but no smell.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a very large vinyl collection because I bought most of my records prior to CD's. Although I currently don't have a stereo setup, I plan to put one in a room we are currently remodeling and will definitely have a turntable. When I bought a new album, I usually recorded most of my favorite songs on reel-to-reel and then put the album in plastic envelopes. Most of my records are still in very good condition. I really enjoyed opening the new album and reading all of the information. It was also helpful to have the lyrics for the songs. Queen II is still my favorite. I prefer the sound quality of vinyl unless the record is scratched. I never used a record changer because that was the most common cause of scratched vinyl.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I only buy them for the labels
1726586238862.jpeg

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Thankfully, the vinyl fad peaked years ago.

Since people don't take care of their records, they'll get rid of their entire collection for the same reason they got rid of them the last time. The best part is, they have no idea which records are valuable. They think it's the Beatles -- despite the fact a gazillion copies of the White Album were pressed. Good. Hoard those White Albums. Younger collectors think Thriller is the be-all-and-end-all of valuable records. Again, good. A gazillion copies were made. I don't own one for the same reason I don't own any Tiny Tim.

Meanwhile, the actual rare records -- on labels like Chess and Blue Note -- aren't even noticed. People pass right over those so they can snag a copy of "The Best of the Doobie Brothers."

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, the vinyl fad peaked years ago.

Since people don't take care of their records, they'll get rid of their entire collection for the same reason they got rid of them the last time. The best part is, they have no idea which records are valuable. They think it's the Beatles -- despite the fact a gazillion copies of the White Album were pressed. Good. Hoard those White Albums. Younger collectors think Thriller is the be-all-and-end-all of valuable records. Again, good. A gazillion copies were made. I don't own one for the same reason I don't own any Tiny Tim.

Meanwhile, the actual rare records -- on labels like Chess and Blue Note -- aren't even noticed. People pass right over those so they can snag a copy of "The Best of the Doobie Brothers."
I have the Nazz Nazz album that is on red vinyl. I read that there weren't many produced on the red vinyl, but don't know whether it is valuable. It is a great album with excellent drumming.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Remember the lovely scent after slitting the plastic on a vinyl record? That scent is emblazoned on my brain. Love that smell from my younger years. Nothing like it.

Streaming is great, but no smell.

I remember leaving some records on the coffee table. They got sun warped. They sounded kind of funny so I gave them away to unsuspecting stoners.

Bill