• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did You Ever Actually Run Out of Toilet Paper

Did You Ever Actually Run Out of Toilet Paper?

• No, was able to hoard enough and didn't run out

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No, had plenty or was able to buy it as needed to get through

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Never ran out, but were down to the last scrap/roll at least once

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Yes, ran out and has to use the phonebook/magazine/hand to wipe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A, had a bidet

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am curious, looking back at the hysteria that was the toilet paper hoarding and stores running out and limiting quantities, did you ever actually ran out of Toilet Paper?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Do you really think those who frequent TUG would have not found a way to acquire some, even if they were running low? IMHO, this isn't the right audience for this question. There are certainly some out there that had a much more difficult time than we did.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
My husband is not a Prepper, and probably doesn't even know what it means, but he has always stocked up on essentials, so we have at least a month's worth of TP at all times.

Also:
tissue
napkins
cleaning products
laundry soap
deodorant
toothpaste
bath soap
liquid soap
dishwasher detergent
all your basic dry goods
and probably more

Last edited:
Reactions: DrQ

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It was close for us. This all happened when we lived on Oahu. I ended out buying a large box through work. It was quite a while before our Safeway had it back in stock.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you really think those who frequent TUG would have not found a way to acquire some, even if they were running low? IMHO, this isn't the right audience for this question. There are certainly some out there that had a much more difficult time than we did.
You take things far too seriously Ken... If someone paid $100 to buy a pack of Ebay, I suppose. Perhaps that should have been one of the poll options....

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Some of the "running out" issue has to do with being tied up with other things, and not being able to drive all over town to look for toilet paper. I remember someone on Nextdoor posted that she had a family of five, and was desperate. People came to her aid.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my father's genes. When I was growing up, we always had at least 100 bars of soap, 100 toilet rolls, hundreds of trash bags, many bags of rice... you get the gist. I wasn't hoarding toilet paper more than usual but we had alot.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You take things far too seriously Ken... If someone paid $100 to buy a pack of Ebay, I suppose. Perhaps that should have been one of the poll options....

Sometimes I do!

But this question… I don’t know, it causes flashbacks of our Covid forum, since its directly related to that event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For fun, I marked one package of TP “Bought 3-26-20. When will I need it? Coronavirus!”
It is in a bathroom closet and I am not touching it!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Growing up my family always had extra supplies of TP, rice, canned goods etc, as much as they could afford. A habit like @VacationForever 's family. My parents were the greatest/silent generation, and lived thru WWII.

Around 1970, while in middle school, there was a long 4weeks?? stevedores strike on Honolulu. We conserved but used up our supplies. At that time, the vast majority of supplies came into Hawaii by cargo ship, air freight was very expensive. Big sigh of relief when the strike ended.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was actually out of state away from my family on military duty for about a year and a half during that time. My wife and daughter back home did run out and my wife called me crying, because she had gone to every store imaginable over the course of six hours and could not find any. She resorted to taking a roll from the restroom of some public park.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in an area where there are groups known to stock pile , so our shelves were bare at one point. Stores eventually posted limits on many items and enforced at the check outs. I did have to go all over on a day off work looking to find some. I saw a couple at Walmart looking at the empty tp shelves and one said ''what are we going to do?'' to the other.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
My employer(think large retail Rx chain) gave each employee(I work at a distribution center) a 4 pack of TP and a case of water early on in the pandemic. It was so bizarre. :p

This spring we were offered gallon bottles of hand sanitizer, as many as we wanted to take. Because it was overstock and they wanted it gone.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't run out, but only through sheer luck. I had placed a bulk order through Amazon a month or so prior to everything going to crap for like 3 cases of TP and Paper towels (they had some special going where you got like a $10 credit or something). We ended up giving some rolls to people who had run out, or exchanging for things we couldn't get (barter) like tomato sauce and stuff when there was a run at the grocery stores for food/canned goods.

Now I have become a food and product hoarder (haha).

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
My husband is not a Prepper, and probably doesn't even know what it means, but he has always stocked up on essentials, so we have at least a month's worth of TP at all times.

Also:
tissue
napkins
cleaning products
laundry soap
deodorant
toothpaste
bath soap
liquid soap
dishwasher detergent
all your basic dry goods
and probably more
I grew up the same way in the upper midwest. You never knew when there could be a snowstorm that you could hunker down for a day or two.

Down here in Texas, it gets nuts whenever there is even a hint of snow/ice. The stores are filled with panicked shoppers.

Another item that we have discovered is A2 ultra-pasteurized milk. It keeps in the fridge for months (even open) and sure beats powdered milk.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
There were a few times that I ended up driving arround looking for TP. I think there was only a time or two that we got down to the last roll,

While TP was kind of the big headline item, there was a lot of other misc items that went out of stock regularly. Eggs, meat, deli meats,, fresh veggies etc.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our wonderful fabulous forwarding thinking governor ensured we would never run out of TP.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We bought bidet attachments 2 months into the pandemic and never looked back. I always wanted them and finally convinced hubby. Now we hate when we have to use toilets and paper outside our home. Lol!

We never had a reason to hoard toilet paper and to this day rarely use much. I personally use a specific towel to dry off. Hubby uses just a bit of paper to dry.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I never really stocked up any more than I normally would. I live alone but buy costco brand and size of TP, which is months of supply for me. I likely purchased another package when I was 1/2 through instead of 90% through. I will buy more when it is on sale

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
LOL, I’m amazed this thread is still active!

For the record, we had just gone to Costco and bought our usual supply of TP the week before the world changed. It lasted for months, as usual, and got us through.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, I’m amazed this thread is still active!

For the record, we had just gone to Costco and bought our usual supply of TP the week before the world changed. It lasted for months, as usual, and got us through.
I did the same thing, although if both my daughters would have lived here at the time we would have run out in a week.

Cornholio was the real reason for the shortage.

HedonisticEpicurean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*Kings Land - 2 weeks
*Phoenician - 3 weeks
*Table Rock (RCI) - 2 w
*St. Regis NY - 4 w
*La Pacifica - 1 week
If you don't have at least one Japanese toilet in your home you are missing out. WinniWoman knows what I mean.

Fell in like with them while traveling in Japan years ago. Decided we had to have one in the early 10's. If you are skeptical and happen to be flying through HNL you can sample heaven right outside the Admirals Club which is run by JAL. It is the hidden gem of Honolulu airport toilets. The toilets outside the club, accessible to all, are all Japanese state of the art toilets. Once you experience the easy to use Bidet functionality, Heated seats, Air deodorizers, Music and sound effects (crazy!), Automated functions, Customizable settings, and Self-cleaning features you will wonder why anyone uses a boring toilet again.

Note: If ever building a home make sure you have an electrical outlet installed near the toilet to make installation of a Japanese toilet a breeze.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually had a bidet in our house when we lived in Lancaster, PA. Although I thought this was a novelty at first, it was very useful and we wish we had one now. It definitely reduced TP consumption.