• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did I get a terrible deal?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland
Fiancé and I caved in on our vacation.

3 days in and coming up on our 5 day cancel period and wondering if we should cancel?

I do feel like ultimately we got a pretty good discount for paying retail price (I found out about re sale after) but the MAX program seems like a plus for us
What we got talked into:
1 bedroom, kings land Hawaii
19,000 purchase price
7,680 every other year points
16,000 bonus points
1,700 maintenance fees / eoy

We have 2 kids that are small, and in a couple years think we would need a 2 bed but retail was double the price

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
You paid more than you should have. Rescind immediately. Then come back and here and research resale. But rescind now!

What is it about MAX that seems advantageous?

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I would rescind. For comparison, we paid about $2k for an annual 7680 point on the resale market.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland
You paid more than you should have. Rescind immediately. Then come back and here and research resale. But rescind now!

Cheers.
I like the idea of the over seas resorts we were told they added thru MAX available to use your points for. Since outside us travel is on our bucket list as we get older

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In Max, you get a 6 month window into the DRI/HVC properties. If you want a longer window then either but in DRI or buy a Craig Lodges resale. They give you access to DEX and then you have a 2 year window into DRI/HVC for much less money.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
W57th
Back door “Max”

Cheers.
Yes rescind now.

As for Max, they really do market it well it seems. Getting Max for free, the only thing it seems useful for is the 1 free guest certificate, and possibly some additional properties on par with RCI with lower fees, but other than that, pretty much a big “meh” from me. Would be worth whatever a guest certificate costs to me, nothing more.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
You aren’t getting enough points. You will need at least 11,200 annual pts to make the system work. Rescind now and then research. You paid too much. Resale is ~10% retail.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Chrissymariie

Welcome to TUG.

Rescind now.

You have much better uses for that amount of money.

If you still want to learn about Hilton timeshare, you have found the right place, and no one here will be pressuring you. You could easily get the points for a 2 bedroom unit, for a fraction of the price.

And you don't need MAX. For the few times you might want one of the Diamond resorts, just rent it.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
You aren’t getting enough points. You will need at least 11,200 annual pts to make the system work
BINGO! This is the other thing I don't get about what people don't get when the salesppl have them under some kind of spell. even if they SOMEHOW think "The Price Is Right", what the heck can they do with 7,680 pts EOY? Go to HI EOY? Orlando? ugh. For $19,000!

and the 16,000 bonus points are worth about $1,000+, unless they can be sure to use them well. BUT, they obviously expire and here's the other wonder of it ...
if you can figure out how to use 16,000 pts in the next yr, then how will you be happy with 3,840 pts/yr? That is <25% of the bonus pts.

The bleepin EOY deeds make me want to start a class-action suit, but who am I to "save the world"?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
no need to throw away 19k on that. rescind and check out the resale market. you will be MUCH happier....and save a fortune in the process!

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
OK, for the OP, here is a calmer version of my prev statement.
The 16,000 bonus points are designed to make you dis-satisfied.
If you can figure out how to use 16,000 pts in the next yr, you will think "How great it is to have 16,000 pts." Then you will realize you have < 25% of that and be dis-satisfied. They are TRYING to make you dis-satisfied with your purchase.

and you can find threads here about how much trouble people have using the bonus pts due to the limitations. So, in addition to all the correct advice you get about rescinding, remember for the future, for future encounters, these salesppl were trying to make you dis-satisfied. That is really the point of the bonus pts. It is like putting a hook in your mouth to try to reel you in

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
BINGO! This is the other thing I don't get about what people don't get when the salesppl have them under some kind of spell. even if they SOMEHOW think "The Price Is Right", what the heck can they do with 7,680 pts EOY? Go to HI EOY? Orlando? ugh. For $19,000!

and the 16,000 bonus points are worth about $1,000+, unless they can be sure to use them well. BUT, they obviously expire and here's the other wonder of it ...
if you can figure out how to use 16,000 pts in the next yr, then how will you be happy with 3,840 pts/yr? That is <25% of the bonus pts.

The bleepin EOY deeds make me want to start a class-action suit, but who am I to "save the world"?
We are actually quite happy with our 7680 EOY, but we typically just do 4 or 5 day gold season trips in Myrtle Beach or Orlando each year. Next year, we are going to Chicago and Hilton Head, in addition to (hopefully) a Myrtle Beach trip the following year, but we can only do trips 3-4 days in length because of Chicago and HHI costing more points. We also used open season to add a couple days to one of our trips in Orlando once.

BUT, that being said, we paid $1700 for our resale 7680 EOY, which I think ended up being a little under $4000 after all the transfer fees, activation fees, closing costs, etc.

I agree with what one of the previous posters said about using RCI to book resorts in places where HGVC isn't, instead of paying so much extra for MAX.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land

3 days in and coming up on our 5 day cancel period and wondering if we should cancel?
Hey, you are in great company! I bought, if I recall correctly, this EXACT same deal in Kings Land! And then I cancelled, did a little research, and got triple the points, every year, still in Kings Land, for a lot less than you just paid. It's insane how much better the deal can be with a little looking. And my wife and I have been loving it! It really is a good system.

The instructions to rescind are at the back of your agreement and I didn't have any trouble with them at all. Just do what they say (make sure you both sign) and you are good to go. Then do a little more research and get exactly what you want for less money!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland
I would rescind. For comparison, we paid about $2k for an annual 7680 point on the resale market.
Oh wow! For platinum season as well? I've had a lot of luck finding kings land

I do feel like ultimately we got a pretty good discount for paying retail price (I found out about re sale after) but the MAX program seems like a plus for us
What we got talked into:
1 bedroom, kings land Hawaii
19,000 purchase price
7,680 every other year points
16,000 bonus points
1,700 maintenance fees / eoy

We have 2 kids that are small, and in a couple years think we would need a 2 bed but retail was double the price
Thank you everyone! Mailed the rescind letter today! Now on the hunt for kingsland resale. Appreciate the feedback and showing me our deal wasn't really a deal after all!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Oh wow! For platinum season as well? I've had a lot of luck finding kings land

Thank you everyone! Mailed the rescind letter today! Now on the hunt for kingsland resale. Appreciate the feedback and showing me our deal wasn't really a deal after all!

This is a good site to find Hilton resales. There is a King's Land 2bd Premier Platinum, 23,040 points for the same price I paid over 10 years ago, a good price with plenty of points and ratio of maintenance fees under 10 cents a point.

The original list price when KL was built in 2008 was $87k!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the over seas resorts we were told they added thru MAX available to use your points for. Since outside us travel is on our bucket list as we get older
FWIW - I am an owner in HGVMax. Eyes wide open when we made our decision.

That out of the way, in the presentation they make a big pitch on the ability to reserve anywhere, and they do mention the 6-month before check-in window. What they conveniently don't mention is that the window effectively means that all you reliably have access to is the picked-over inventory remaining after everyone who has priority ahead of you. So what you have bought will not get you access to any of those overseas resorts during high demand periods.

With two small children, going forward your reservation options will be constrained by school calendars. Times when schools are not in session generally are the high demand seasons, because that is when everyone who has school age children are trying to make reservations. So, I'm skeptical that this ownership will do that for you.

IMHO, a basic principle of timeshare is to decide where you want to go, then find a resale opportunity where you can reserve directly at those locations, in the seasons that you want. It strikes me that this doesn't do that for you.

And that is without even considering that you could get what you are actually thinking you are buying for a fraction of the cost.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am an owner in HGVMax
You are an owner in HGVC with HGV Max or The Club with HGV Max. Both ownerships have HGV Max. Max itself isn't an ownership, it is a program. You probably know this but just wanted to add this to be clear about the ownership.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are an owner in HGVC with HGV Max or The Club with HGV Max. Both ownerships have HGV Max. Max itself isn't an ownership, it is a program. You probably know this but just wanted to add this to be clear about the ownership.
To my dismay, I find that my Club ownership has been transferred to HGVMax Club (without my permission and without any notice to me), and my former Gold membership benefits in the Club have been stripped by HGV. Will be posting in detail about this soon.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To my dismay, I find that my Club ownership has been transferred to HGVMax Club (without my permission and without any notice to me), and my former Gold membership benefits in the Club have been stripped by HGV. Will be posting in detail about this soon.
Ah .. So you are The Club with HGV Max. I didn't think you were supposed to lose any benefits with Max....or, at least, that is the sales pitch. We do know that HGVC Legacy EP folks lose the unlimited free guest certs when they join Max.

Yzfguy06

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Crane, Borgo alle Vigne x2
As others have stated too few points to do much with. It really limits you on where and how long you can stay with those points. We are spending on average 30k points a year for vacation(Hawaii twice). The price per point is too high also.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ah .. So you are The Club with HGV Max. I didn't think you were supposed to lose any benefits with Max....or, at least, that is the sales pitch. We do know that HGVC Legacy EP folks lose the unlimited free guest certs when they join Max.
Yeah - that was the pitch. I only learned of how we had been shafted a couple of weeks ago when I was making 2025 reservations, and all of my Gold reservation benefits were gone. That started me tracking down what happened. I'm working up a complaint to HGV making that point and that when we joined HGVMax there was zero mention of a change in Club affiliation.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah - that was the pitch. I only learned of how we had been shafted a couple of weeks ago when I was making 2025 reservations, and all of my Gold reservation benefits were gone. That started me tracking down what happened. I'm working up a complaint to HGV making that point and that when we joined HGVMax there was zero mention of a change in Club affiliation.
Corrina, in the FB group, has had similar happen. She lost some The Club benefits, Platinum I think, and has not been happy