• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DEX EU trading power with Craigendarroch Lodges HGVC ownership

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
i'm considering a resale purchase(s) in scotland. i'm currently an MAX (sadly) HGVC owner.

when considering the possibility of purchasing 2x 1Br units vs. purchasing a single 2Br unit, which would have more favorable trading options in DEX EU? i understand getting specific weeks is important too.

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Depends where u want to go. What resorts interest you? What do you need? 1 bdrm or 2?
i don't have a clear understanding of 'where' is available via DEX EU. i'm not yet a member.

we like to cook in, if possible, but usually just the two of us, so small is fine.

a once in a lifetime 'big'trip to europe' with the entire family might also happen this decade.

i'm also interested in the canada embarc locations. not sure if craig ownership would open that up?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
2x 1Br units vs. purchasing a single 2Br unit, which would have more favorable trading options in DEX EU?
Like @CalGalTraveler said, it depends on what you would normally want to book. I have a 3BR platinum season Craig which equals tier 6 DEX exchange. 2BR Criag platinum season is also tier 6. Honestly, what I would like is a 1BR platinum season tier 4. That would be best for me. Look at the tier charts on where you want to go and also Craig tier chart (EU, second pdf. Sorry, I couldn't attach it here because it was too big).

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Like @CalGalTraveler said, it depends on what you would normally want to book. I have a 3BR platinum season Craig which equals tier 6 DEX exchange. 2BR Criag platinum season is also tier 6. Honestly, what I would like is a 1BR platinum season tier 4. That would be best for me. Look at the tier charts on where you want to go and also Craig tier chart (EU, second pdf. Sorry, I couldn't attach it here because it was too big).

another owner there said the same thing - go for 1Br.

is there any cost savings to do (2x) 1Br at the same time, compared to 1 now, and another later?

i understand closing costs are much lower, since it's not a deed.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
is there any cost savings to do (2x) 1Br at the same time, compared to 1 now, and another later?
You can try. I bought three at one time. They were 1900, 1900, and 1800 then I offered 1500 for all three and they accepted it. These three were Hilton owned versus owner owned so I think on those, there is more flexibility. With owner owned, Andrew will present it to them and they will decide. If they don't want to pay MF in 2025, then they may be willing to wiggle.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The guide is here, https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/depositing-craig-lodges-and-other-hgvc-weeks-into-dex.364062/ , in the first post.

Look through it at the properties, unit types, and seasons that you would use the most. That should guide what you want to use. From there, you can decide what makes sense to buy. I would not buy a Tier 6 unit to trade for Tier 4 units and when I look through DEX, there are a lot of Tier 4 or below, for instance a 2 bed premier unit at Sandestin is a Tier 4 but a 2 bed OV unit at Cabo Azul is a tier 6. Now if you plan to stay in a lot of studios or maybe 1 bed, then maybe using a Tier 6 exchange for two 2 tier units isn't a bad idea since you get the 2 for 1 deal but if you plan to stay in tier 3 or 4 most, then I would get a Tier 4 unit.

To me there are multiple things to look at, cost (I can dump a 2k pound unit easier than a 4k pound unit), I can pay the upgrade fee from a Tier 4 to a Tier 6 for the few times that I would need a Tier 6..and, by the way, when you calculate the price of your week + the exchange fee + the upgrade fee, it is still pretty cheap for a Tier 6 unit but if you plan on using a Tier 6 unit often, then I would get a Tier 6. The 2 Bed plat units have a better MF/pt than a 1 bed plat.

Here are a few DEX examples, the number on the right is the Tier:

1728823776807.png

1728823835280.png

Nothing higher than Tier 4 at Sandestin:

1728823897258.png

1728823959192.png

1728824026077.png

When I search Portugal, nothing higher than a Tier 4:
1728824141408.png

1728824210797.png

1728824241207.png

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
@HuskerATL thx for the detailed info, i need to take a closer look and then decide what to put offers on at Craig!

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, in DEX, it is more than DRI, HVC, and Embarc. You can see the list of partner properties at the bottom of each search and the number of entries for the each search are listed. In this example from above, it shows that there are 1,444 available weeks for Kaanapali between now and two years from now.

1728831802486.png

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You cannot go wrong with any size Craig as long as it is platinum. It really depends on where you want to trade and how much you want to spend to buy-in:

1 bdrm Plat best for low entry point and low absolute MF. Best for Tier 1, 4 and 5 exchanges. Not as good for HGVC points - only 7680 - so higher MF/pt but lower buy-in.

Tier 4 can be split into two Tier 1s: @HuskerATL can tell you where Tier 1s are as I am not sure. Probably low-season studios.

Tiers 4 are Sandestin, Portugal and KBC, Cabo Azul resort view, smaller units. If you regularly want a larger unit, Ocean view or Front you need a 5 or 6 for KBC and Cabo Azul and should get a Tier 6 Craig 2 or 3 bdrm.

2 bdrm Plat gives you the best flexibility. Best for Tier 6, 2, and 5 exchanges.
  • What you lose for a Tier 5 exchange from greater MF is about a wash today with a Tier 4 + Tier Upgrade fee. However you have locked in the Tier 5 upgrade fee difference because there is no Tier upgrade fee from a Tier 6. Upgrading fees on Tiers could increase in the future.
  • 2 Bdrm is also good for HGVC 11,200.
This is why 2 Bdrms give the most flexibility.

Tier 6s can be split into Tier 1 or 2. This is like a lockoff in MVC/Vistana terminology. Resorts that have 1 and 2 bdrm Tier 2s include Embarc Panorama (winter ski/summer), Embarc Palm Desert, Modern Honolulu (mountain view), plus several resorts in Europe in studio and 1 bdrm category.

Tiers 5 and 6 are Cabo Azul, and Kaanapali Beach Club.

3 Bdrm plat Good for Tiers 2 and 6. Best for HGVC points MF/pt. Highest cost to buy-in

Craig has currency risk so you need to factor that into your equation. But little in terms of weather related disasters.

You can also gain access to DEX in several other ways:

1) Gulf Coast Affiliates. But that is Florida real estate which IMO has risks of insurance and reserve assessments.
2) Buy or pick up free a resale DRI deed. This could be a great option with reasonable MF.
3) Pick up free trust points. MF are expensive but if you only plan to own a few years then Free may be better ROI.

One thing I really like about DEX is that you can see inventory by week. RCI and II is 20 questions and an ongoing search to see if anything is available.

Last edited: