• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Critters in the House

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My DW seems to have a knack for finding critters in the house.

Thursday, DW reached into her makeup desk drawer and something moved. She screamed, stumbled backwards and fell on her rump. With her mobility issues, I had to call EMS for a lift assist. She said she had seen a snake. We look around, but do not see a snake. We all thought maybe she had hallucinated.

Later, I open the drawer, and a snake rests it's head on the edge of the drawer. I arm myself with her cane and a shovel. I yank the drawer out of the cabinet. The contents and the snake fall on the floor. The snake slithers off to a dark corner behind a waste basket. Shortly thereafter, the snake met its demise. It turned out to be a 5' long harmless garter snake.

Today, she sees a green frog in our LR. Thinking it a leaf, she bent to pick it up when it hopped. She runs over the hapless frog with her walker. She had me dispose of the now lifeless frog.

She now wants me to call a pest control service to keep these critters out of the house.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That's wild. I'm glad it wasn't something more dangerous. Where do you folks live?? I've never had a snake in the house.

Dave

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely call pest control. Don't like bugs, insects, critters, you name it. We are in our home 37 years and twice we had the tiny ants. We took the house apart and ripped up the dirt in front of the house near the foundation. :sneaky::LOL: more than once, sprayed and sprayed. It worked -but I was ready to call pest control.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same question. Where do you live and it sounds like your home is not sealed. Besides pest control, it is time to close up the house to outside critters.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Same question. Where do you live and it sounds like your home is not sealed. Besides pest control, it is time to close up the house to outside critters.
We live in North Florida on the border of a natural wooded area with a pond.
It's rather suitable for all sorts of wildlife, from armadillos to owls, and snakes.

It may have come in thru our sunroom when doors were open to air out.
But how it ended up residing in a table drawer is a mystery.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Friends of ours who live in an old (early 1900's) farmhouse a couple miles from us occasionally get garter snakes in the house. One evening they were entertaining friends for dinner. They were all sitting around the dining table enjoying desert and coffee and something caught Jim's eye in the chandelier. He tried not to stare, and didnt say anything, but he saw a small garter snake in the 'bowl' of the bottom part of the light poking its head over the side. He quickly suggested they take their coffee into the living room. After everybody moved out of the dining room he climbed up on a chair caught the snake and threw it outside. He didnt tell his wife until after their guests had left. She freaked, but not as much as when she went to pull out her crockpot a few days later and found 3 live baby garter snakes in it! We still tease them about having snakes for dinner!

~Diane

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... She freaked, but not as much as when she went to pull out her crockpot a few days later and found 3 live baby garter snakes in it! We still tease them about having snakes for dinner!
DW is worried that our snake may have family somewhere nearby.
We've checked just about everywhere, but...
It may be time to clean out the cabinet under the sink. :eek:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to say that whenever I find one of something, there is usually a second one of the same. Snakes, mice, centipedes, cockroaches, lizards, porcupines and what have-yous used to share my childhood home with us. I shudder when I think of it.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
My worst nightmare . . We live close to water now and so far have only seen two snakes outside (one that slithered away when the lawn guy was weed whacking and one curled up in a pile of brown leaves alongside the golf cart path…..most likely a copperhead. All outside doors are closed immediately. The garage doors are up only long enough for the car to clear. Our decks are elevated (second floor with no stairs to the ground) and screened, but I do see small geckos that can squeeze thru the cracks. I’m hoping the cracks are too narrow for a snake.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I wanted to say that whenever I find one of something, there is usually a second one of the same. Snakes, mice, centipedes, cockroaches, lizards, porcupines and what have-yous used to share my childhood home with us. I shudder when I think of it.
Yes! What is it with that? At my first apartment about twice a year I’d find a pretty big spider in the bathroom. I KNEW within 24 hours his “friend” would show up so I just left the bug spray on the bathroom counter. At our last home it was house centipedes that could run like the wind. There wouldn’t be any for a year, then suddenly two in two days.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Some family members were up at our cabin this winter having a party. They were woken by shouting. A bat had made it into the cabin then while being chased, the bat had disappeared. A few hours later my nephew woke up and there was the bat hanging on the window curtains a few feet over his head. He left the room and close the door. His wife , who is a doctor, wasn't on this trip. When he told her about it she said to call his doctor and see if he needed to get the rabbis vaccination which he ended up getting.

I was up to the cabin yesterday and did notice on the eves of the cabin there was guano stains near some of the rafters. I also noticed tiny gaps between a couple of the rafters and roof sheeting. This spring I will be sealing it up. I'm sure any bat that was in the wall or cabin is dead because we don't heat the place in the winter unless some one is there and it was multiple days of minus temps. Bats are mammals and will die of exposure to cold.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Friends of ours who live in an old (early 1900's) farmhouse a couple miles from us occasionally get garter snakes in the house. One evening they were entertaining friends for dinner. They were all sitting around the dining table enjoying desert and coffee and something caught Jim's eye in the chandelier. He tried not to stare, and didnt say anything, but he saw a small garter snake in the 'bowl' of the bottom part of the light poking its head over the side. He quickly suggested they take their coffee into the living room. After everybody moved out of the dining room he climbed up on a chair caught the snake and threw it outside. He didnt tell his wife until after their guests had left. She freaked, but not as much as when she went to pull out her crockpot a few days later and found 3 live baby garter snakes in it! We still tease them about having snakes for dinner!

Nope. Time to burn the house down and start over.

Kurt

nomoretslt

Reaction score
@Talent312 wanted to add that I hope your DW is okay after her stumble. Could have been bad if she hit her head on the floor. you just don’t expect to see a snake in your drawer….

In our previous home one night, our cat suddenly alerted to something …we were on the top level. She ran down two flights of stairs to the basement…ran across the floor and sat and stared at a spot on the wall. Sure enough a small bat was hanging there, how on earth she heard it…so weird. Ended up opening the basement windows and blocking the space under the door, as the bat did not want to be there…not sure how it got there in the first place. Still had a few sleepless nights.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
@Talent312 wanted to add that I hope your DW is okay after her stumble. Could have been bad if she hit her head on the floor. you just don’t expect to see a snake in your drawer….
Thanks. Yeah, coulda been worse. EMS checked her over.
No concussion and nothing broken or dislocated.

The drawer is back in it's place. Damndest thing I ever saw.
From time to time, I look over there to see if anything moves.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It can help to make sure there isn't excessive cover around the foundation of the house, i.e. weeds, leaves, overgrown shrubs. If it's weeded, trimmed, and mulched, critters will be less likely to get in. Also it only takes one tiny hole for things to enter. We kept getting mice in the basement and hired pest control. He helped find some holes I didn't find. However, every fall we'd still get mice in the basement even though there was no water or food. Oddly, it finally stopped when we replaced our old vinyl siding with Hardie Board. They also did a better job installed soffeting that didn't have any gaps.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I just bought 2 jugs of Ortho Snake B Gon.
ThisOldHouse.com has a page on dealing with snakes.