• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car at Los Suenos?

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had driven in Costa Rica. Never again. The freeways are fine but the other small roads are pretty crazy. Distances may seem small but its very mountainous. I would take excursions instead of choosing to drive.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
We did the same last year and arranged for transfers from the airport to the resort and excursions with a private guide. We will do the same this coming August.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
We drove 2 years ago [during COVID] and even though the distances were quite far we faced no problems.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
We just returned from there (1st time). We used Piko Travel for our private transport from and to the airport and for a Manuel Antonio excursion (great company, highly recommend). There is also Swiss Travel at the hotel and their prices were reasonable (we did not use them though for anything). We used Uber and walked the rest of the time. If/when we return to Costa Rica we would consider renting, but I don’t see it as a must. If you are comfortable with foreign driving and remote road conditions, go for it. Understand that Los Suenos is isolated from some of the more popular areas and attractions, so the excursions could be 10-14 hour long days. Uber was great for 30 minutes or less drives, you might just have to wait longer for one since most drivers are based out of Jaco. The nearby local attractions have shuttles also and might include for free if you ask. Renting a golf cart is also an option, but they are pricey, and they cannot go past the main highway (but might be handy for local restaurants, shops, and grocery in Playa Herradura). There is also Avis at the hotel and National/Alamo at the marina, so handy for short term rentals. Did not price them out, but also something to consider.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
We enjoyed having a car as it allowed us to stop at some of the roadside "restaurants" and stalls as well as not be restricted when planning to eat out or do excursions elsewhere.
Saying that however, there is a marina with some restaurants within walking distance including some island excursions leaving from there as well. Many excursions will also come and pick you up at the hotel. The restaurants at the hotel are pretty good. There is a supermarket within driving/taxi distance that has good options.
I did not find driving a problem but I am not a stressed driver and love driving.
My take was that due to the winding roads and being unable to safely pass slower trucks and farm type vehicles at times added to the time it would normally take to cover those distances.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I love driving in CR. There is a great local car rental company Vamos. Check them out.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from there (1st time). We used Piko Travel for our private transport from and to the airport and for a Manuel Antonio excursion (great company, highly recommend). There is also Swiss Travel at the hotel and their prices were reasonable (we did not use them though for anything). We used Uber and walked the rest of the time. If/when we return to Costa Rica we would consider renting, but I don’t see it as a must. If you are comfortable with foreign driving and remote road conditions, go for it. Understand that Los Suenos is isolated from some of the more popular areas and attractions, so the excursions could be 10-14 hour long days. Uber was great for 30 minutes or less drives, you might just have to wait longer for one since most drivers are based out of Jaco. The nearby local attractions have shuttles also and might include for free if you ask. Renting a golf cart is also an option, but they are pricey, and they cannot go past the main highway (but might be handy for local restaurants, shops, and grocery in Playa Herradura). There is also Avis at the hotel and National/Alamo at the marina, so handy for short term rentals. Did not price them out, but also something to consider.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
We are supposed to go to Los Suenos for the first time in November. I was going to post about transportation, but I found this thread. I will look up Piko Travel for the transport as we were hesitant about renting a car and sounds like shuttles may be the preferred transportation - thought pricey from what we were seeing. Would you say there are plenty of restaurants and activities within walking distance or an easy uber ride from the property? You mention nearby attractions with shuttles - any recommendations? There will be three adults on this trip - no kiddos. And I am a huge nature lover so tend toward those kinds of excursions. Also, good to know there are rentals at the hotel in case we need one. Did you fly into San Jose? I read there is another airport closer but not nearly as big.

shaxs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Grand Chateau 2 Bedroom Lock-off
We are supposed to go to Los Suenos for the first time in November. I was going to post about transportation, but I found this thread. I will look up Piko Travel for the transport as we were hesitant about renting a car and sounds like shuttles may be the preferred transportation - thought pricey from what we were seeing. Would you say there are plenty of restaurants and activities within walking distance or an easy uber ride from the property? You mention nearby attractions with shuttles - any recommendations? There will be three adults on this trip - no kiddos. And I am a huge nature lover so tend toward those kinds of excursions. Also, good to know there are rentals at the hotel in case we need one. Did you fly into San Jose? I read there is another airport closer but not nearly as big.

Uber is technically illegal in Costa Rica. But it sounds like it is still used a lot by locals and tourists.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@hcarman There's a nearby marina you can walk to with a few restaurants and shops. It's a very safe and cute walk. There's also a bank with an ATM. There are more local options if you taxi or cab.

There's a stand at the marina for fishing excursions and a boat ride to a nearby island with white sand beaches.

I'm planning a trip in August and will be looking into excursions. I'll post more once I finalize. We used an excellent tour guide when we stayed in Manuel Antonio area last year. He said he would be willing to travel to the Marriott resort to take us on tours. We will be inquiring about that as well.

shaxs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@hcarman There's a nearby marina you can walk to with a few restaurants and shops. It's a very safe and cute walk. There's also a bank with an ATM. There are more local options if you taxi or cab.

There's a stand at the marina for fishing excursions and a boat ride to a nearby island with white sand beaches.

I'm planning a trip in August and will be looking into excursions. I'll post more once I finalize. We used an excellent tour guide when we stayed in Manuel Antonio area last year. He said he would be willing to travel to the Marriott resort to take us on tours. We will be inquiring about that as well.

We will be there in August as well. Looking to go to Tortuga Island and do a monkey tour. My daughter is obsessed with Monkeys.

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
With only 24 units, this is one of the harder properties to get into but if you have flexibility, it can be done. We have been 2x and go back in Jan 2025. We have always rented a car (https://vamosrentacar.com) and can't imagine not having one. Driving is easy but slow going due to the slow speed limits and be prepared for some construction. The last couple of times we have stayed up in Guanacaste at the JW for a week and have driven down (4 hr drive) to Los Sunos for an additional week.

The far end of the MVC property is in the trees, if you want more of a view, ask for a unit close to the hotel when they reach out to you a couple of weeks before your rezy. When you get to Los Suenos, take advantage of the free golf cart tour of the property, well worth it….bring tip money.

If you end up getting a car, drive down to Manuel Antonio National Park (get a guide for the park tour) and Rainmaker Waterfalls. Check out the black sand beaches on the way down.

The marina is a short walk and well worth it…..some amazing yachts! Try The Hookup for dinner. From the Marina you can also take the Costacat tour to Tortuga island. ( https://costacatcruises.com/isla-tortuga/ )

Other restaurants to consider:
El Anzuelo, great local find. Cheap authentic good food. Beer only
Koko Castro Bar - Jaco
Villa Caletas
El Pelicano
Bahia
Coco
Cardumen
La Puesta Del So
Obama Sushi in Jaco
Try Villa Caletas Hotel for a sunset dinner

Assuming you get a car, the grocery store is a 5 minute drive, Auto Mercado • Garabito. They have a great selection of food and alcohol.

Last edited:

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

That would be great if you could let us know what you found for excursions on your August trip. And if you have a tour guide or driver you recommend. Thanks!

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
With only 24 units, this is one of the harder properties to get into but if you have flexibility, it can be done. We have been 2x and go back in Jan 2025. We have always rented a car (https://vamosrentacar.com) and can't imagine not having one. Driving is easy but slow going due to the slow speed limits and be prepared for some construction. The last couple of times we have stayed up in Guanacaste at the JW for a week and have driven down (4 hr drive) to Los Sunos for an additional week.

The far end of the MVC property is in the trees, if you want more of a view, ask for a unit close to the hotel when they reach out to you a couple of weeks before your rezy. When you get to Los Suenos, take advantage of the free golf cart tour of the property, well worth it….bring tip money.

If you end up getting a car, drive down to Manuel Antonio National Park (get a guide for the park tour) and Rainmaker Waterfalls. Check out the black sand beaches on the way down.

The marina is a short walk and well worth it…..some amazing yachts! Try The Hookup for dinner. From the Marina you can also take the Costacat tour to Tortuga island. ( https://costacatcruises.com/isla-tortuga/ )

Other restaurants to consider:
El Anzuelo, great local find. Cheap authentic good food. Beer only
Koko Castro Bar - Jaco
Villa Caletas
El Pelicano
Bahia
Coco
Cardumen
La Puesta Del So
Obama Sushi in Jaco
Try Villa Caletas Hotel for a sunset dinner

Assuming you get a car, the grocery store is a 5 minute drive, Auto Mercado • Garabito. They have a great selection of food and alcohol.
Great information! Thank you. Wow - I didn't realize it was only 24 units in the vacation club - I assume those are 24 two bed units - so if locked off there are more. I know ours is a one bedroom unit - lockoff master. Good tip on room location and restaurants. Interesting sounding sushi - Obama sushi?

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great information! Thank you. Wow - I didn't realize it was only 24 units in the vacation club - I assume those are 24 two bed units - so if locked off there are more. I know ours is a one bedroom unit - lockoff master. Good tip on room location and restaurants. Interesting sounding sushi - Obama sushi?
Ha.....no, not Obama, Ohana Sushi. And yes, I assume the 24 are 2 bedrooms.

shaxs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I am renting a vacation club from Marriott directly. It is a studio with 2 queens. So maybe not all are 2 bedroom.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am renting a vacation club from Marriott directly. It is a studio with 2 queens. So maybe not all are 2 bedroom.
That's the studio side of a 2 bedroom lock off.

shaxs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's the studio side of a 2 bedroom lock off.

Oh duhhhhh. Sorry, I should have known that :) I wish I was able to find the 1 bedroom side or 2 bedroom, but since there are only 26 units inventory is tough.

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be great if you could let us know what you found for excursions on your August trip. And if you have a tour guide or driver you recommend. Thanks!

We have narrowed down to these excursions for our stay next month:

-Bird watching at Carara
-Night walk tour in the rain forest (we did this in Manuel Antonio during a rain storm and it was pretty fun)
-Canopy /hanging bridges and waterfall tour (full day)
-Rainforest aerial tram and butterfly garden tour
-Mangrove fishing and monkeys tour

Our guide is Geiner Murillo and his contact info (Whatsapp) is on his FB page: