• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun Timeshare with Sunset World through Sunset Royal

cadmxtm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset World
We purchased the timeshare through Sunset Royal in Cancun. They insisted in the beginning that what they’re offering is not a timeshare but an investment opportunity. They offered us discounted vacations as well as commission payouts after five years our investment matures. How this works is that if they book the room we “purchased” we get a commission/portion out of it.

Now, we made 3 payments and on December 2022, they added on another fee that goes directly towards our “investment” that I was not given a receipt/invoice of after they charged an unauthorized amount. I called them and they explained to me it’s supposed to start on December 2022 and then I realized, it was the amount I did agree with the condition that we pay it after 12 months. They didn’t put im writing at all. So I told them give me invoice and the guy just insisted they can’t do that because it’s already in our contract and we agreed to pay it. Yes we did agree to it but after 12 months of us signing the contract. Now I got suspicious because if they can lie about this, they can lie about everything they offered us during the presentation.

The other thing they offered us is if we changed our minds, we just need to hold the ownership for a year and they’ll buy it back and refund our money. Guess what, I called them to confirm that again and they denied that they said it and it’s not in our contract so the commission and the cancellation they guaranteed us was all a lie!

Never believe anything they say unless they put it in writing.

I just talked to one of the people who went to the same presentation and that person said they didn’t get the same info/offer during the presentation. Now we are wondering if they’ll say whatever just to make you sign up.

I just want out this stupid mistake and if I can go back in time I would never have purchased their lies!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind!

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

If you have passed your rescission period, then you have a couple of options, neither of which is very palatable.

1) Stop any further payments and let your membership lapse. You will likely face a barrage of collection phone calls and letters. You might also face a hit on your credit score but at least you won't be throwing more money into this.

2) Try to make good use of what you purchased.

Just make sure you don't use any of these firms or companies that claim they can get you out of this deal.

cadmxtm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset World
Rescind!

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

If you have passed your rescission period, then you have a couple of options, neither of which is very palatable.

1) Stop any further payments and let your membership lapse. You will likely face a barrage of collection phone calls and letters. You might also face a hit on your credit score but at least you won't be throwing more money into this.

2) Try to make good use of what you purchased.

Just make sure you don't use any of these firms or companies that claim they can get you out of this deal.
Thank you. But the benefits they’re offering is less than desirable. You need to pay $809 for seven day’s accommodations and if you want it to be all-inclusive, you have to pay $50 per day/person. That’s what they explained first. Then we were only convinced when they said there’s an investment opportunity for us as well. But yeah,you’re right I’ll pick the best option I have right now.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thank you. But the benefits they’re offering is less than desirable. You need to pay $809 for seven day’s accommodations and if you want it to be all-inclusive, you have to pay $50 per day/person. That’s what they explained first. Then we were only convinced when they said there’s an investment opportunity for us as well. But yeah,you’re right I’ll pick the best option I have right now.
$ 809 = $ 115.57 per night
That is pretty reasonable compared to many hotel room prices

Forget your sunk cost and go enjoy a vacation
[Consider the sunk cost an "investment " in your well being ]

Lots of us in TUG started this way - and then learned to use what we bought

Last edited:

cadmxtm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset World
$ 809 = $ 115.57 per night
That is pretty reasonable compared to many hotel room prices

Forget your sunk cost and go enjoy a vacation
[Consider the sunk cost an "investment " in your well being ]

Lots of us in TUG started this way - and then learned to use what we bought
I don’t mind that part but the sad part is, the selling point for us is the commissions they said we would get after five years. They told is we are buying a unit of their hotel and we can make money by them booking the unit for people who non-members and pay full prices for the hotel packages. Then we would a portion of whatever they charge for it. We would not buy the “membership” if they didn’t tell us the “investment” (commissions) benefits. I was like ok if we can make money out of this and get discounted accommodations I guess it’s not bad at all. They misrepresented the package they sold to us and that’s what hurts the most. We thought we were being careful and smart enough to know that it was a good investment for us but all they sold us “Vacation club membership”.

PPAES

Reaction score
I don’t mind that part but the sad part is, the selling point for us is the commissions they said we would get after five years. They told is we are buying a unit of their hotel and we can make money by them booking the unit for people who non-members and pay full prices for the hotel packages. Then we would a portion of whatever they charge for it. We would not buy the “membership” if they didn’t tell us the “investment” (commissions) benefits. I was like ok if we can make money out of this and get discounted accommodations I guess it’s not bad at all. They misrepresented the package they sold to us and that’s what hurts the most. We thought we were being careful and smart enough to know that it was a good investment for us but all they sold us “Vacation club membership”.
“Vacation Club” is the term used in Mexico for timeshare because a foreign individual cannot own any property located within one hundred kilometers (sixty-one miles) of the international border and fifty kilometers (thirty-one miles) of the seacoast. It is called “Fideicomiso” and it is part o Mexican Constitution. Therefore, deed units like the ones sold in the US, are not available and all the vacation club members have RTU (Right to Use). Some are perpetual and some not.
Although you are not the “owner” you can rent it out.
I understand your frustration because 99.9% of the sellers lie but as mentioned before, the MF is not bad if you divide it by 7 nights and enjoy it. Cancun is my go-to place and I love that area.

Last edited:

cadmxtm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset World
“Vacation Club” is the term used in Mexico for timeshare because a foreign individual cannot own any property located within one hundred kilometers (sixty-one miles) of the international border and fifty kilometers (thirty-one miles) of the seacoast. It is called “Fideicomiso” and it is part o Mexican Constitution. Therefore, deed units like the ones sold in the US, are not available and all the vacation club members have RTU (Right to Use). Some are perpetual and some not.
I understand your frustration because 99.9% of the sellers lie but as mentioned before, the MF is not bad if you divide it by 7 nights and enjoy it. Cancun is my go-to place and I love that area.
I love Cancun as well but how can we enjoy the discounted accommodations if we were tricked into buying it? And it doesn’t makes sense for us to just keep vacationing in one place when we can just save up all the money we’re supposed to give them and experience new place every year. I am not comfortable giving my money to people who conned me into signing up on something I did not want in the first place.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I love Cancun as well but how can we enjoy the discounted accommodations if we were tricked into buying it? And it doesn’t makes sense for us to just keep vacationing in one place when we can just save up all the money we’re supposed to give them and experience new place every year. I am not comfortable giving my money to people who conned me into signing up on something I did not want in the first place.

Every timeshare organization has a sales function that "cons people into signing" .

Last edited: