• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancelling vacations not due to flu...:(

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your news! And thanks for the reminders - those are things I do every year without fail.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you for a fast recovery. Having been going thru chemo since last Sept. with my hubby I certainly understand where your at right now. God Bless.

Suzanne

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an update once again......

Sorry for causing many of you to worry, but I am still kicking, just had a 5 week complication or setback. Haha..Just had like it was nothing...it was for me terrible. I am back now though. I want to thank all of you who were so concerned etc. I am so fortunate to have such a support system here. Thank you all so much, words cannot express how I feel after seeing so many inquiring about me etc. I love you all. I am trying to respond to all the PM's so please be patient.

If weird, strange things can happen they happen to me.

First I had the fever at home, the Oncologist put me on Cipro and an anti-fever med. Well no better. Called in 6 days, days before my next chemo treatment and was told, no way you can receive your chemo treatments and since Cipro works in 80% of cases you need to see an Infectologist ( Dr. of Infectious Diseases). He gave me number of bilingual Dr. of such but lo and behold, his secretary could not speak very good English and could not seem to get my spanish either. My son was not around at the time so I called my cancer Surgeon ( he is my favorite on my team of Dr's anyway). I explained the situation and while I waited on the telephone he got a hold of the DR. They both agreed it would be best if I went to hospital as many tests would be needed to be done, plus they could also do my 4 month checks while I was there. Now I am petrified. I pack a few things, locate my son and well he bring me to ER at hospital an hour away in Guadalajara. My port a cath is immediately hooked up for blood draws and IV antibiotics etc. In the coming days I am poked, prodded, tested, more than ever in my life. Plus I am petrified and feel horrible and the fever just keeps climbing and or returning. Hubby has flight due in on the 10th, but has been cancelled by airline so won't get here til the 11th boo hoo.

Well they find I have a urinary tract infection, but that is not the biggie. My chest X-Rays look bad so they want to do a bronchoscopy. So now I am off to surgery. They are checking for any and all lung diseases, like swine flu, TB, cancer, etc. etc. ( They also checked me earlier for dengue fever but that was negative). Okay I have the bronchoscopy and lo and behold I have a seasonal influenza virus,( not swine flu) pneumonia, and mold ie candidia has grown on top of it all, so I have all these germs and fluid in my lungs along with a small area of lung collapse. Lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I am on anti-fever meds, anibiotics, antivirals, antifungals, and the list goes on. They continue doing tests relative to my illnes and also to get those 4 month cancer check tests done.....here we go again......my liver is fine, but oh something is up with gall ladder. Off to nuclear medicine I go and I have gall stones, one quite large, along with what they call a diseased bladder which has to come out. The Ca Surgeon and I agree we should do this during this hospital admssion as soon as infection is gone due to distance for me from hospital, but after speaking with oncologist he says no, best to wait till chemo treatments done unless an emergency arises. Okay whatever, hope luck stays with me on this one.

In about ten days I have been fever free for 3 days so they say I can go home tomorrow, hahaha.......that night the fever returns.....they are baffled and blood work shows extremely low potassium levels, this is quite painful, all you skin actually hurts. They cannot figure out why the potassium has gone so low. They put me on immediate cardiac monitors, whih means I am now totally bedridden..ugh......then they pump me with potassium, next morning my potassium has been dumped again. They are now in agreement with me that is something strange can happen it will happen to me. They review all my drugs and find one drug, an antifungal that can cause this, so they change that. Well needless to say I spent 3 weeks in hospital and finally was potassium stable and fever free for 48 hours. Discharge............but I am weak and well not feeling too great and very blue thinking of all the chemo treatments I have to make up, plus hubby leaves in just a few days. I cannot return to chemo for another ten days until all oral meds are complete and I get a clear bill of health. crap!!! I just want this over.

I am home 3 days and develop a skin rash and weakness in my legs. Call the Pnuemonologist as I think it might be the antifungal drug, he agrees and has me stop it. Thinks I should be fine without any antifungals. Few days later I develop unstoppable diarrhea ( does this ever end), call Dr. again, he has me stop Potassium and also take probiotics. Well finally after another week, other than a persistent rash to my hands I am actually beginning to recover. I return in ten days from discharge to Pnuemonologist and my Chest X-Ray is clear. I do have a new strange rash to palms of my hands, which he says he could give me steroids for, I refuse, I have enough steroids with my chemo, I have gained 20 pounds and look like a swollen balloon LOL. He calls the oncologist and yes he says I can return to chemo.......who would have thought I would be happy, (petrified it is like starting over again from the beginning), but I want it to be over. So I schedule my first of the remaining 6 treatments for Oct 13th, strangely the actual day I would have completed all my chemo treatments...cry!!! I spend the remaining days before the treatment recovering and in a funk, a big blue, depressive funk.

On Oct 13th, I had that chemo treatment ( taxol). I was really anxious but all went well. For 3 days I felt okay, well almost good to say, today beginning to feel a bit foggy and tired but I am back on track ( trying to catch up on so many missed things, like bills, emails etc.) so 5 treatments left, if I can just get thru these without any complications or setbacks, then I can have my gallbladder surgery and then in Jan. my 4 month cancer check tests again. Wish me well.

Oh good news, I had all the cancer check tests, blood, scans etc., except the digital mammogram as DR. says the machine is old in hospital and he does not like it, so referring me elsewhere but I forgot to get info, so have to do that, but either way, all was free of disease ( cancer) ( NED) with exception of missing digital mammogram an one blood test that was elevated but dr. feels due to body being ill, so will repeat in Jan. or before. This is of course all good news.

So anyway I am sorry for all your worrying, I was worried too. Was a long 5 weeks of illness of which I thought I would never feel better again LOL.

Thank you all again for your never ending support. Many hugs and happy vacations to all.

taffy19

Reaction score
I cannot believe what you have gone through these last few weeks. How awful but you still sound so positive, bezerk. Keep it up as it must help you. I really hope that you will feel a lot better soon.
hug.gif

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pam, Being unwell is such a bummer! You've been in the thoughts and hearts of many here, but you know that. We're pulling for you.

Get well soon! We need your sunny beach pictures to brighten our days.

Jim Ricks

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! When all this is over, you should write a book. All the info you've shared with us is a great beginning. I think of you often, and was just thinking last week that you hadn't posted in a long time. I am so glad you're well enough to feel like writing again. What a gutsy lady! I hope I can meet you some time in our travels. I hope it's smooth sailing from here....
Rest,
Eileen

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pam, you have been to hell in a handbasket. I am so glad you are on the mend. You are one brave lady and you have been missed. You are in the prayers of many!!!!!

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, somehow I missed the May posts. I will put you in my thoughts and prayers. What an ordeal. I'm glad your tests came back negative. That is such good news.
Liz

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Pam, what an awful experience (or set of experiences). Thank goodness you have access to good doctors. I'd been wondering why you hadn't posted lately.

Just keep getting better and looking forward to having you back here as frequently as you used to be!

Many Hugs

bass

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pam.

I will definitely pray for you and toast you too! You are in my thoughts. Get well soon!!

Nancy

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
:whoopie: I am finally recovering......it has been a long 15 month roller coaster journey that is not over but at least is getting better. I finished my chemo in Nov. 2009. I was yes, bald, very bald, no eyebrows, no eyelashes, no body hair. Liked not having to shave my legs though. The hair gradually grew in....I tried and son tried to spike it, I was hoping I liked that and then I would keep it very short spiked...no go it just flopped over or would not hold a spike ...my hair grew in a bit thinner, I had very thick hair so that is okay, it also grew in softer and less coarse, but it did grow in curly as it was yuck, but seems not to get a frizzy as it used to.

In Jan 2010, I had my gallbladder out laproscopically, just in time, it had developed many more stones and was beginning to petrify....
My tests showed NED ( no evidence of disease) ( Cancer free that is) so that was great news. OH in Dec. I had a PET Scan and it showed some areas in my head, sinus, vocal areas etc, that they say hot, so I had to have a mini endoscopy under local, scary but was not as bad as I thought and thankfully as they suspected it was not cancer but most likely just a cold or something I had when they did test. whew!

I was tired, no drive or ambition, difficulty sleeping etc., but these were all side effects of the chemo and well takes a long time for all the steriods and chemo to leave your body. I set up a vacation for Feb., to meet a freiend another breast cancer survivor, I had just emailed her that I was booked, went into my closet and took a small tumble or so I thought. Hah.....I tried to stand up, no way....PAIN..... I yelled for my son who was in garage washing cars, he could not hear me.......I dragged myself one inch at a time across house, my wrist was hurting as well...finally son on a fluke came in house and found me in hall on floor....called ambulance and Ca. Dr. I told him my hip is broken. He said okay I will set everything up and meet you at hospital. Well my insurance ambulance is from Guad. ( hour away) so they called and said might be best if Red Cross ambulance comes and brings me to Red Cross facility to stabalize me plus easier to find...ok whatever. So I had my first and second ambulance ride in my life. Arrived at hospital and yup broken hip and wrist. Needed a total hip replacement, was so bad. Scheduled for tomorrow. Splinted my arm....son was wonderful, hubby tried to get flight and did but was cancelled so he never did arrive for like 5 days....I had the total hip replacement and wrist splinted and spent about 10 days in hospital as was slow recovery due to breaks on same side ( right) so using walker etc. very difficult and not sending me home until hubby was sure he could handle my care until I was up and about.

My bone density shows I have progressed from osteopenia to Osteoporosis so am at a high risk for another hip or spine fracture so caution is the buzz word. I am now receiving Zometa infusions via my port-a-cath ( my friend), they make me sick as chemo for 2-3 days. I was receiving every month. After 2 or 3 treatments I had a severe reaction to the pre-meds which they cannot figure out why, was touch and go situation. Anyway I now receive the Zometa in outpatient so I am in hospital is strange reactions occur. It has now been decreased to every other month.

I made my first VACATION in May 2010, with hubby and parents to Ixtapa. It was fun, scary and tiring all at once. In July we went to PV for 2 weeks, in resort where we own so could just relax. A few weeks before this my son and family came to visit and I met my grandson 10 months old for the first time, it was incredible. Unfortunately it was also very exhausting for me. The day after my son arrived we got terrible news, my youngest brother who lived in Mexico around the corner for many years, but had moved to MO. had passed away in his sleep. We were very close mentally. I was totally devasted and am still mourning the loss of my buddy!! OH while in PV, I ended up in hospital for 3 days with what they think was a food poisoning I should have fought off, they did and endoscopy which showed a small ulcer so we have that to deal with now too. I was sweverly dehydrated and ended up with an ileus from my potassium levels dropping so low due to exorcist vomiting. We were lucky the resort was Velas Vallarta as they were wonderful, working with us on the finances of AI and also just totally pampering me when we returned to resort.

So it continues to seem to be one thing after another but I am making it. End of Sept. we head to Mazatlan , was supposed to be for 2 weeks but due to scheduling and finances had to change to one week. Hubby has to get back to work. Two days after we return I will have my final surgery for reconstruction called exchange surgery. I am very nervous. I will also have my 4 month cancer checks and a repeat endoscopy to check on that ulcer. Should be a 2-4 day hospitalization and then few stitches to be removed a week later, hubby will leave after stitches are out I think.

In Dec. I will have another PET scan. So in essence, though so much has occurred I am recovering, I grow stronger day by day. The steroids and chemo must finally be leaving my body. A lot of the chemo fog has lifted and I have lost a lot of the steroid weight thankfully. I am still on meds so I do have good and bad days and still a lot of nausea but so much better than before. My only issues now are with my psyche.....I am having body issues and inability to sleep even with sleeping pills and also opposite of what you would expect, I cry a lot, when I should be so happy I think. Anyway I am back for now...:cheer:

Yes, I am booking 2011.....I have Jan. 10 days booked, Feb. 2 weeks booked and next up going backward a girls getaway this November...with my mom and maybe some friends...:wave:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Welcome back! Pam, you have no idea how often you have been in my thoughts. I always looked forward to your most knowledgeable and upbeat posts. I was devastated when you just disappeared. Other TUGgers have had their challenges, but in the back of my mind there was always Pam in Chapala.

It still looks like you have some ongoing health issues to deal with, but I know you will take them as they come and beat them.

So on the whole, now that you know all about the Mexican health system, how is it? I imagine you can write a book about it.

Anyway, welcome back. I couldn't be happier to hear you are starting to vacation again even close to home. We'll be in PV in a short few weeks, and try out it's healing powers too.

Keep getting stronger and enjoying life!

Jim Ricks

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Pam! You have been through way too much - yet you continue to sound upbeat and positive - something that I am in awe of. You are an inspiration. Thanks for keeping us up to date and all my love.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your update. You have gone through so much but you take it in stride. I hope that you are feeling better and stronger each day.

I am so happy that you are thinking about going on vacations again. Enjoy. :cool:

My sincere condolences to you with the loss of your brother. This sad news must have been devastating for the whole family and that while you were on vacation.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Welcome back to TUG. I was so glad to see that you had posted again. :cheer:

I look forward to seeing posts from you again soon. Like others have said, you are upbeat and helpful. You can even put some humor in the situation you have been going through. :)

I am also glad to know that you are making vacation plans for the upcoming months and year. There is nothing like having a vacation scheduled so that you have something to look forward to. :)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Hi, Pam:wave: It's so great to see you back on TUG. I've thought about you so often, especially when I was reading some thread from awhile ago that you had posted on.

So sorry you've had to endure so many uncomfortable things, but so thankful that you are getting stronger every day. Hope you have great trips.

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW ! Pam, it never rains, but it pours! I am so glad to hear you've recovered enough to resume doing the things you enjoy so much. This old nurse just has to put her 2 cents in: You have every right to cry! In fact, it's good to cry, you are acknowledging the loss of so many things. You are balancing so well, as is evident in the humorous parts of your post! No one expects to have to go through all that you've been through. It sounds like you've done it with grace and dignity! Enjoy the coming months and I hope you continue to improve every day.
Eileen

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
:whoopie: I am finally recovering......it has been a long 15 month roller coaster journey that is not over but at least is getting better. I finished my chemo in Nov. 2009. I was yes, bald, very bald, no eyebrows, no eyelashes, no body hair. Liked not having to shave my legs though.

You brought a chuckle to my morning. :) I am very happy to hear you are on the road to recovery and have your sense of humor intact. Don't worry about the crying. It is to be expected as your body finds its return to normal. Bravo to you for your valiant fight! :clap:

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This ones for your Pam and I hope that you have a speedy recovery. God Bless

Suzanne

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, you sure have been through a lot. I was wondering about you the other day and checked Users - saw that you had been on TUG recently.

Good to have you back and posting!

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
So good to hear from you Pam. I can't believe everything you've been through, and yet you still keep rolling with the punches! Good for you! Your morale and sense of humor seem so upbeat - like nothing's gonna keep you down. Keep up that attitude and keep gettin' better every day! Baby steps...........you'll get there!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Good for you Pam.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy to see you back and posting Pam.