• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bluegreen Upgrade pros and cons. Need help.

Marksnet

Reaction score
Ok
We are Current Owners and get 7000 points every other year
Charter members
Unlimited bonus time
Travelers Plus
VIP program but not VIP premier
Maintenance fees are 800 per year

Upgrades offer
Make our points annual 7k
Can now use points for maintenance fees
1500 per year offsets the maintenance fee

This is the break even for us because it costs 8000 and we get double the points and we are spending 8k over 10 years anyway with points only half the time.
This package breaks me even and gives me a lot more points

Package 2

Next up is 10k points per year
Cost +4500 over first package offered so total 12500
Maint fee offset is 2k points per year
Net increase in points but costs me 4500 real money

Package 3
VIP premier package bronze with their added benefits yada yada
18k total
Net increase 10k out of pocket
15500 points annually
3k points used annually for maint. Fee

Help

If my out of pocket for maintenance is going away
If I bought someone's bluegreen on the secondary market my annual maint fees are going to be my current 800 per year plus the new deed I buy right?

So over time I could end up paying more for a secondary package right?

Help help haha!

I took a lunch and this is my first post so try to be kind. I'm a veteran on a lot of fishing forums and we had first time posters pretty good.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marksnet

Reaction score
Am I crazy for asking?
Just trying to look at long term cost and if buying or having a current bg owner transfer me their deed would be better I'm all for it.
Just don't wanna have out of pocket fees forever.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about BG, but giving up 1500 of 7000 points to pay your MF seems a bit too good to be true.

Is that clearly guaeanteed in writing?

Marksnet

Reaction score
Yes in writing.
This is now for all points
You can use points for maint. Fees

I'm guessing it's a way to say "free" haha

I'm just torn. I have not brought myself up to speed on this used market for TS and I don't want to go further in with a TS if I can get them for pennies on the dollar secondary.

And if I do I'm not sure the annual maintenance fees alone would not eventually add up to more than what they are offering.

Have a out an hour to make a decision.

Thank you for chiming in

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to go to Bluegreen Timeshare Secrets on Facebook. I believe getting your maintenance fees paid is a matter of having friends come in and buy. I know it was debunked on the Facebook page. You do know that many people are giving away their Bluegreen packages for just closing costs, and you already have the benefits which come with being an owner. Sara Strock is the administrator for the Bluegreen timeshare Secrets ebsite on Facebook.

Last edited:

Marksnet

Reaction score
You need to go to Bluegreen Timeshare Secrets on Facebook. I believe getting your maintenance fees paid is a matter of having friends come in and buy. I know it was debunked on the Facebook page. You do know that many people are giving away their Bluegreen packages for just closing costs, and you already have the benefits which come with being an owner.

I do but the annual fees are there forever.

I'll at least break out this way.

Maint fees paid by referrals was the old way yes.

Now if I have 7000 points per year I can use 1500 of those for the fees and pay nothing.

So my net increase in points is 4000 every 24 months

At 8k I am doubling my points and eliminating perpetual maint fees.

The only reason to pull 8k out of the check book.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Is it in writing in the contract or on the piece of paper they gave you? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of charging going on using a bluegreen credit card to get those offsets. Generally if you give back 100% of your points, you will still owe some in MF's. The offset from one point isn't going to be enough to cover the MF on that point.

I found this as of May of this year.

If you want to use points to pay maintenance fees, you must be Silver, Gold or Platinum and you get $0.01 per point ($10.00 per 1,000 points) if you are Silver or Gold and $0.02 per point ($20.00 per 1,000 points if you are Platinum.

They may be trying to tell you that you would be able to rent your points enough to cover MF's and more but they aren't going to be doing it for you and handing you cash.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I am a Bluegreen owner since 2000, began with 8000 EOY.

Do not buy more points from them at this time.

Pay off your mortgage. If you want more time to use, do it via Bonus Time and rent out your points.

Forget the "use points to pay maint fees" as even if you were to attain "status", it is terrible value for your points.

The key thing is for you to determine if you ever want to "attain status" or just want more points. If you just want more points, look up timeshare kahuna. it is run by a reputable man and his staff. they can talk with you to fit your needs with a secon dary market package that can get you more points for less upfront. You do not need more debt, pay less for the new points and still have same increased maint without higher upfront.

Decline their offer. You may do far better cobbling together other resale pkgs and if you want to attain status, that kahuna I recommended will help you with factual information about the best way for you to do this.

I also recommend the Yahoo Group for Bluegreen. real owners that know the ins and outs. I don't do fb so have no comment on that resource.

DECLINE. you can always buy direct from BG later if it suits your purpose, but, determine your purpose - status or just more points. Don't forget bonus time. Take people with you and charge them a little rent or let them buy the big dinner out. Look at RCI last minute whatever for full weeks out of pocket cash. Also look at your Travellers Plus membership for ways to travel on few or no points.

good luck.

geekette

Reaction score
At 8k I am doubling my points and eliminating perpetual maint fees.

No, you cannot eliminate perpetual maintenance fees. You may be able to offset some, but they are never eliminated, although ability to offset may be eliminated.

Do not buy with this justification of offset, it is unlikely to work out near or long term. Do not sign anything. Get your gift and go.

Marksnet

Reaction score
I am a Bluegreen owner since 2000, began with 8000 EOY.

Do not buy more points from them at this time.

Pay off your mortgage. If you want more time to use, do it via Bonus Time and rent out your points.

Forget the "use points to pay maint fees" as even if you were to attain "status", it is terrible value for your points.

The key thing is for you to determine if you ever want to "attain status" or just want more points. If you just want more points, look up timeshare kahuna. it is run by a reputable man and his staff. they can talk with you to fit your needs with a secon dary market package that can get you more points for less upfront. You do not need more debt, pay less for the new points and still have same increased maint without higher upfront.

Decline their offer. You may do far better cobbling together other resale pkgs and if you want to attain status, that kahuna I recommended will help you with factual information about the best way for you to do this.

I also recommend the Yahoo Group for Bluegreen. real owners that know the ins and outs. I don't do fb so have no comment on that resource.

DECLINE. you can always buy direct from BG later if it suits your purpose, but, determine your purpose - status or just more points. Don't forget bonus time. Take people with you and charge them a little rent or let them buy the big dinner out. Look at RCI last minute whatever for full weeks out of pocket cash. Also look at your Travellers Plus membership for ways to travel on few or no points.

good luck.

We don't have a mortgage.

Thanks for the info I'll check that out.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
There is no way in the world your points will convert at any favorable rate to pay you MF.

I am a BG owner and belong to the face book group "Bluegreen timeshare secrets." The expert over there on conversions is Bob Baty, Tag him in a post asking this same question and he has the amounts that points convert to.

You will not get anywhere near what you pay for those pts each year. I hope you did not sing anything yet.

Marksnet

Reaction score
They are quoting a new program
Gold elite program in travelers plus
Where each 1000 points that I have annually I can convert them and they state that
1500 points per year will trade for the 800 in maintenance fees.

Marksnet

Reaction score
Ok more info.

The points that I turn in do go into a pool so BG can rent those points out.
So basically 1500 of my points would be worth the 800 in maint fees

They are still holding to 1500 points will pay my fees annually.

The only reason I am entertaining dropping 8k is because we are paying 800 per year for 7k points every other year.
Kind of a bad deal.

The way the salesperson pitched the sale was
Use 8000 bucks to fill in the years we were not getting points and in 10 years we would be scratch if we used 1500 points off of the 7000 per year we would now be getting.

That's why I saw some daylight.

Now with all this being said.
Salesperson admits it is NOT in writing.
What is in writing is the choice points which are a horrible return as an above poster mentioned.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
So basically he's lying to you, and hopes you don't figure it out until after the cooling off period is over.

Marksnet

Reaction score
Yep.
I paid
But have ten days in Florida
Also paid with Amex and they are happy to scratch the charge.

Big thanks on the private messaging advice to csxjon.

I've joined the Facebook page and I'll be educating myself on how to buy a resale and avoid this retail sales.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Generally if they say they will rent out your points for $0.10 per point, they are lying. In your case he was saying BG could rent your points at a $0.53 a point. That would mean that for a single night for an average high season one bedroom they would be renting it out at $1000 per night keeping their 20% commission-which would actually probably be closer to 30%. If BG could rent out 1 br high season units for $7000 a week, they wouldn't be trying to sell points. They would be trying to get back as many points as possible to rent out the units.