• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island- Waipio Valley

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never gone into this valley. I understand it's rather steep, and requires a guided tour or the use of a four wheel drive vechicle?

Does anyone have first hand experience with this area of the Big Island?

Has anyone done horseback riding while in the valley?

thanks
don

Tiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the guided van/truck tour about 8 years ago. It was interesting but I wouldn't miss it if I hadn't done it. If you want a change from the beach and you've done the volcano and seen the petroglyphs it's another part of the Island. It's more like Kauai than the rest of the big island and interesting from that aspect.

Werner

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two summers ago, we took the Wapio Valley tour that starts with a 4WD trip down into the valley and switches to a horseback ride in the valley. Waipio is a working valley of mostly taro farmers. The most spectacular view is from the small park on the rim where you can park without going down into the valley. There is a waterfall at the end of the valley that you can see from the horseback ride. It features prominently in many photos of the valley but it wasn't running very well when we were there. It's an interesting way to see a bit of an old Hawaii farming culture.

PS, We are experienced 4-wheelers but I wouldn't want to take a typical rental SUV down that steep valley. A real Jeep with a Low/Low 4WD gear might be OK but there really isn't any reason to drive yourself. I think most of the interesting roads back into the valley (where the horses go) are private so you can't do much when you get there.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
An alternative is to pop for a helicopter tour that flies into the Waimanu Valley, which is the next valley over from Waipio. There are dozens of waterfalls in the Waimanu, including a formation that is a geologic clone of the Wai'ale'ale "crater" on Kaua'i. Simply spectacular.

Waimanu_Valley_03_waterfalls.JPG

Waimanu_Valley_05_Keyhole.JPG

Waimanu_Valley_08_Keyhole.JPG

Waimanu_Valley_11_waterfalls.JPG

Waimanu_Valley_02_waterfalls.JPG

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those are amazing photographs.
You're making me think that maybe our trip to Kauai this summer is the time to finally pop for a helicopter tour (5 trips and we've never done one).

We've driven TWICE down into the Waipio Valley. Once in a crappy rental jeep, once in a Chevy Blazer. I'm not sure either one was truly a 4WD. No problems either time, just put it in low gear and go.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Two summers ago, we took the Wapio Valley tour that starts with a 4WD trip down into the valley and switches to a horseback ride in the valley. Waipio is a working valley of mostly taro farmers. The most spectacular view is from the small park on the rim where you can park without going down into the valley. There is a waterfall at the end of the valley that you can see from the horseback ride. It features prominently in many photos of the valley but it wasn't running very well when we were there. It's an interesting way to see a bit of an old Hawaii farming culture.

PS, We are experienced 4-wheelers but I wouldn't want to take a typical rental SUV down that steep valley. A real Jeep with a Low/Low 4WD gear might be OK but there really isn't any reason to drive yourself. I think most of the interesting roads back into the valley (where the horses go) are private so you can't do much when you get there.

I would not advice driving yourself! My kids, BIL, and DS went down to go horseback riding via the jeep and driver the horseback riding business provided. My BIL is not a faint hearted person and he was scared! He said he looked out the window and looked down and could not see the road! The road is very narrow and for very experienced drivers only ( the ones who do it daily.)

Once down in the valley, they had a wonderful time! They got to see the waterfall and loved it! There is no electricity, maybe some generators..a very different lifestyle, but worth seeing!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those are amazing photographs.
You're making me think that maybe our trip to Kauai this summer is the time to finally pop for a helicopter tour (5 trips and we've never done one).

We've driven TWICE down into the Waipio Valley. Once in a crappy rental jeep, once in a Chevy Blazer. I'm not sure either one was truly a 4WD. No problems either time, just put it in low gear and go.

Just to be clear; those photos I posted are from the Waimanu Valley on the Big Island, and not Wai'ale'ale on Kaua'i.

Here are some more of the Kohala Coast, just outside the mouth of the Waimanu Valley.

Kohala_Seacliffs_03.JPG

Kohala_Seacliffs_05.JPG

Kohala_seacliffs_07.JPG

Kohala_seacliffs_09.JPG

Kohala_seacliffs_10.JPG

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Waipio Valley Wagon Tour

We took a wagon tour of the valley in 2007 and it was a lot of fun. They take you down into the valley in a van and then you tour the valley in a mule drawn wagon. Our guide lived in the valley and she was very good. If you take an early tour and they have room, they are willing to drop you off a short walk from the huge black sand beach and let you take the next van back up. I highly recommend this tour. Here is a link to the web site ---> http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com/

Do not even think about driving down into this valley on your own! It is a very steep one lane road with pull over passing spots that only people who know the road well should try. When you are going up you can not stop because you will stall and you will have to back down to the bottom to restart your vehicle. :eek:

Before we meet for the tour, we went to the park at the start of the road and view was fabulous. It is a must even if you don't take a tour into the valley.

Enjoy Joe

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
we took the Wapio Valley tour [/URL]that starts with a 4WD trip down into the valley and switches to a horseback ride in the valley.

We did this tour as well. My sister said it was one of her favorite parts of her Hawaiian vacation. We always go to the lookout point.

You definitely should not and can not drive yourself. Once when we took my husband's family they decided we could all walk down. We only went about 100-200 meters down. It was crazy. It was so steep we had great difficulty walking the short way back up.

citymouse0_1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to the valley two years ago. I had the same question before I went. Our group of four took a Jeep Wrangler down, explored, and then back up. I believe that there are some spots that are only wide enough for one vehicle (so the vehicle going down has to yield). It wasn't that bad and I would probably do it again.

If you aren't confident I would just avoid the drive down altogther.

Last edited:

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Wow! We are going to Big Island this June, and I think we will want to do this. So, these photos are taken from a helicopter ride? I think I may need to do so more research....

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
The waterfalls are abundant throughout the Hamakua Coast thanks to the rainfall we have had this year. It has been raining almost every day since January. Some days 1/4 - 1/2 inch, some days 3 inches. Very unusual but for visitors who want to see waterfalls, it is a bonus. The mornings have been very sunny and by afternoon the clouds start to roll in and with that, the rain.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done horseback riding while in the valley?

We enjoyed the horseback trail - - closer to nature than riding in a wagon. No experience needed.
DSC05065.JPG

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We took a wagon tour of the valley in 2007 and it was a lot of fun. They take you down into the valley in a van and then you tour the valley in a mule drawn wagon. Our guide lived in the valley and she was very good. If you take an early tour and they have room, they are willing to drop you off a short walk from the huge black sand beach and let you take the next van back up. I highly recommend this tour. Here is a link to the web site ---> http://www.waipiovalleywagontours.com/

Do not even think about driving down into this valley on your own! It is a very steep one lane road with pull over passing spots that only people who know the road well should try. When you are going up you can not stop because you will stall and you will have to back down to the bottom to restart your vehicle. :eek:

Before we meet for the tour, we went to the park at the start of the road and view was fabulous. It is a must even if you don't take a tour into the valley.

Enjoy Joe

We did this same tour, also in 2007 (Sept) . . . and enjoyed it. I also echo the comments about taking your own vehicle down the very steep road to the valley floor!

Here is the link to the travel journal review I wrote for the travel site IgoUgo.com: http://www.igougo.com/story-s1339981-Hawaii_(Big_Island)-Waipio_Valley_Wagon_Tour.html .

AKE

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I dont think that rental cars are allowed to go into the valley - check first because if you do drive down there and get into trouble then it could be $$$.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow! We are going to Big Island this June, and I think we will want to do this. So, these photos are taken from a helicopter ride? I think I may need to do so more research....

Yes they are taken from a helicopter. We took off from Kona, flew over the top of Hualalai volcano, past Mauna Loa, over the eruption zone on Kilauea, up the Hamakua coast, along the Kohala seacliffs and into the Waimanu Valley, then returned to Kona via Waimea and Waikoloa. Here is a link to a slide show from the trip.

And here is a link to a thread on the topic: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63113

Last edited:

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Great pictures, Steve. Thanks for sharing. Our family can't wait to get there!:)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great pictures, Steve. Thanks for sharing. Our family can't wait to get there!:)
Dawn - be aware that on the Big Island a full island helicopter tour such we took is more expensive than a full island fly-around on Kaua'i. That's because the Big Island is, well, bigger, which means more air time to move among the sites. IIRC - our flight was almost two hours long. But as I think the photos show, there's really nothing like it for being able to see some parts of the Big Island.

When we flew we took the first flight of the morning, at 7 am. I insisted on that specifically because the lighting for picture taking is better in the early morning and the late afternoon. I opted for the morning because when the trade winds are blowing the windward parts of the island generally have fewer clouds in the morning. In fact, on the day we flew the clouds closed in over Kilauea about an hour after we were there, so that most people that day were unable to see the lava flowing.

If you want photos check into the available equipment carefully. Our helicopter said the windows opened; that was only about a four-inch by six-inch opening near the bottom of the window. I could bend over and point the camera lens through the opening and use the LCD display to set up a picture, but it certainly wasn't convenient and I couldn't shoot forward or rearward or adjust any settings on the camera.

If I flew again I would certainly look for a heli with no windows or at least windows that truly opened. But helicopter options are much more limited on the Big Island. so sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Put on some insect repellant -- lots of mosquitos there.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve: Thanks for those heli pictures. Now I KNOW I will never ride a heli again :eek:. But at least I have seen the Waipio Valley thru your eyes. We took the tour thru their valley years ago with the signing driver with no teeth.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve: Thanks for those heli pictures. Now I KNOW I will never ride a heli again :eek:. But at least I have seen the Waipio Valley thru your eyes. We took the tour thru their valley years ago with the signing driver with no teeth.
The pics I posted are not the Waipio Valley; they are the Waimanu. The only way into Waimanu is by foot. You can get there by descending into the Waimanu, then crossing the next set of cliffs. Or from the other direction you can start hiking at Polulu then cross two set of ridges. It's a hike I would like to do sometime. Need to talk one of my kids into doing it with me, though.

But if you're not up for the heli ride, how about a mule ride into Kalaupapa, instead??

100_2221.JPG

kalaupapa%20pali.jpg

100_2244.JPG

switchbacks.jpg

100_2372.JPG

Last edited:

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
lynne: Wow, so much rain! Ever wish you were back in New York :) ?