• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bethel Inn no longer an RCI Member? No longer a timeshare property?

rjpdld4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just searched RCI for exchange vacations in Maine and see that the Bethel Inn & Resort no longer comes up as an option. Does anyone have any recent news on this?

I know that Giri Hotel Management purchased the hotel last December. (See the Sun Journal article located here for more details.) I stayed there using RCI points this past July. Are current owners being bought out? Are available weeks still being sold? (I can say from having stayed there multiple times in the past two years, each time except this past July, I was given a listing of available weeks for sale each time I checked in.)

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
It is still in the RCI weeks resort directory...I just searched and found it. I haven't seen any availability in quite some time. I have stayed there several times over the years. Dated, but I love the space in the townhouse units. I'm going to Bethel in October with my daughter. We're staying at a B and B just down the street from the Inn. I'll have to investigate further. :)

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trapp Family Lodge, Hillcrest Inn, The Village Green
It is still in the RCI weeks resort directory...I just searched and found it. I haven't seen any availability in quite some time. I have stayed there several times over the years. Dated, but I love the space in the townhouse units. I'm going to Bethel in October with my daughter. We're staying at a B and B just down the street from the Inn. I'll have to investigate further. :)
For 17 years, we lived about 10 miles from the Inn and often cross country skied there. Friends did a timeshare exchange there a couple of months ago (exchange completed in fall). This was their 2nd/3rd exchange there and really liked the golf course. Their understanding is the golf course will now be used to build condos on. They were very disappointed to hear this as are we.

sofreemac

Reaction score
I just searched RCI for exchange vacations in Maine and see that the Bethel Inn & Resort no longer comes up as an option. Does anyone have any recent news on this?

I know that Giri Hotel Management purchased the hotel last December. (See the Sun Journal article located here for more details.) I stayed there using RCI points this past July. Are current owners being bought out? Are available weeks still being sold? (I can say from having stayed there multiple times in the past two years, each time except this past July, I was given a listing of available weeks for sale each time I checked in.)
We live in Freeport, Maine, and own two weeks at Bethel Inn and Resort (Giri Hotels?) (weeks 12 and 16, Fairway, Millbrook) and belong to RCI as Platinum. We pretty much exclusively use our two weeks at the Bethel Inn in the Winter, via RCI, to enjoy time away from home XC skiing and snowshoeing. We love the quiet, unruffled, beautiful wintery scenery. We are now concerned about what this change means! We received a letter today from the Bethel Resort, recemntly bought out by Giri Hotels, saying they've dropped RCI (it was the Millbrook unit, we didn't get [yet] a letter about Fairway). I texted RCI "chat" tonite and they stated that resort #4026 (Bethel) is in the catalog. But I can't find it listed at RCI online. So, very concerned about what this means for: 1. Staying at Bethel using our two weeks back to back, 2. RCI future sharing if we want to elsewhere, 3. Fees we've paid to RCI potentially rendered moot if our units are "unshareable", and 4. Potential saleability of these units if not shareable. I think we Bethel Inn Timeshare Owners need to do some research! I am calling RCI as well as Bethel Inn's Timeshare Office Monday.

Are there any other Bethel Owners out there on this site? Thoughts? Info?

Mark C

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who controls the timeshare HOA? If it is the developer, you need to get owners geared up to take over. In these situations, you clearly need a member controlled HOA.

Some examples from my neck of the woods:

First Flight Builders developed four timeshare resorts on the NC Outer Banks, and the developer stayed in control of the HOAs of all of them as well as management of all of them. Members at Dunes South got control of their HOA and dismissed First Flight as their manager, which led to a lawsuit that the HOA won at every stage all the way up to the state supreme court. Ocean Villas II owners then got control of their HOA and sued First Flight, which surrendered in a settlement. The token member-oriented board member at Ocean Villas then started rattling the cage, and First Flight bailed out of that one without a fight.

You also need to find out how proactive your state Real Estate Commission is on timeshare controversies. Another Outer Banks resort, where the developer more out its welcome was Bodie Island Beach Club, and there Blackwell Brogden, the timeshare guy at the NC Real Estate Commission got actively involved, and informed the developer that he was going to initiate a proceeding against the developer's real estate license if he did not relinquish HOA control and management of the resort to the members. The developer quickly caved.

SimonUK

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
Who controls the timeshare HOA? If it is the developer, you need to get owners geared up to take over. In these situations, you clearly need a member controlled HOA.

Some examples from my neck of the woods:

First Flight Builders developed four timeshare resorts on the NC Outer Banks, and the developer stayed in control of the HOAs of all of them as well as management of all of them. Members at Dunes South got control of their HOA and dismissed First Flight as their manager, which led to a lawsuit that the HOA won at every stage all the way up to the state supreme court. Ocean Villas II owners then got control of their HOA and sued First Flight, which surrendered in a settlement. The token member-oriented board member at Ocean Villas then started rattling the cage, and First Flight bailed out of that one without a fight.

You also need to find out how proactive your state Real Estate Commission is on timeshare controversies. Another Outer Banks resort, where the developer more out its welcome was Bodie Island Beach Club, and there Blackwell Brogden, the timeshare guy at the NC Real Estate Commission got actively involved, and informed the developer that he was going to initiate a proceeding against the developer's real estate license if he did not relinquish HOA control and management of the resort to the members. The developer quickly caved.
Absolutely agree with everything here. Letter sent out by Giri dated 1st November stating Bethel de-affiliated to RCI. That is a clear first step to trying to take owners weeks without paying for them in my opinion. It has already devalued everyones weeks. If it was an issue with RCI they could have affiliated with Interval. No consultation appears to have taken place. Disgusting.

207Dawn

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn

I also received a letter with my annual timeshare maintenance fees. Indicating Giri Hotels purchased the Inn . Indicating they are no longer apart of the RCI program. Then offering the the Timeshare giveback program. First our timeshare fees are now up to $1035 and I see no representation for timeshare owners. Where did it go. I feel we are getting railroaded here and pushed out. I have owned my unit since 1989. Where is our say in any of this? Seems to me that we need to come together and see what our rights are in this situation. I live in Norway Maine and have the week of the 4th of July and have always enjoyed our week. Anyone else have these concerns?
Dawn

SimonUK

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
I also received a letter with my annual timeshare maintenance fees. Indicating Giri Hotels purchased the Inn . Indicating they are no longer apart of the RCI program. Then offering the the Timeshare giveback program. First our timeshare fees are now up to $1035 and I see no representation for timeshare owners. Where did it go. I feel we are getting railroaded here and pushed out. I have owned my unit since 1989. Where is our say in any of this? Seems to me that we need to come together and see what our rights are in this situation. I live in Norway Maine and have the week of the 4th of July and have always enjoyed our week. Anyone else have these concerns?
Dawn
Is there still a Fairway Townhouses Association. There is a website but no apparent contacts details. It looks luke a work in progess. You all need to complain to the resort and advise any other owners. There may be legal avenues open to pursue. If there is no pushback Giri will make it impossible to continue ownership.

Chipsofacto

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn, Lighthouse (Sanibel)
I’m also hoping that the owners can come together and fight for our rights. Please keep me posted and let me know what I can do. Can we get a list of all current owners? Can we speak with a lawyer about a possible class action lawsuit or other legal action?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
When is the annual homeowners meeting? Most state laws allow any member to demand a mailing list of all members within a certain wiindow prior to that meeting. With that list, you can try to organize the members to fight back. Check the state laws in the state where the timeshare is located.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
My wife and I have been staying in the Bethel area for over 30 years and purchased our week in Millbrook +/- 18 years ago. We have used our week on property more times than not. It is sickening to think that we're now being forced to give up something we paid for and loved. I can remember the sales pitch Craig, I won't say his last name, but his pitch was " A tank of gas and a bag of groceries you will always have a vacation" I truly fell for that line. I'm sure Craig and the previous owners have a pocket full of money and its sounds like we have nothing. This might also be the demise of one of Maine's most beautiful towns as we know it. I hope not. I agree, this doesn't feel right. JM

handsla36

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn, WEstgate Resorts
Hi my husband and I have been going to Bethel inn for years, bought a timeshare with friends in 2018. Got the letter and in August talked to Katie about the future. It was not promising. I was trying to find my paperwork, wondering if they can just do this. I asked Katie about how we would work our unit if we couldn't make it for our week. She said we could rent our week but the inn would take 50 percent and we would have to try to book another week at our own expense. Can they do this? Does anyone know how many timeshare owners there are. I left a message to talk to Diane, Ownership coordinator. Has anyone talked to her? Does anyone have more information? thanks

handsla36

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When is the annual homeowners meeting? Most state laws allow any member to demand a mailing list of all members within a certain wiindow prior to that meeting. With that list, you can try to organize the members to fight back. Check the state laws in the state where the timeshare is located.
I would be interested in finding out and trying to fight back.

handsla36

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m also hoping that the owners can come together and fight for our rights. Please keep me posted and let me know what I can do. Can we get a list of all current owners? Can we speak with a lawyer about a possible class action lawsuit or other legal action?
I would be in on trying to fight. It's crazy that they can do this. I also heard they were going to eliminate golf course. Any truth to that?

Golfski

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
We own 3 weeks of timeshares at the Bethel Inn and bought our first one 2003. We are in a dispute with current owners about a variety of issues especially the increase in maintenance fees without justification, charging $90 a week for use of a substandard health club (pool is OK but that’s all), removing free cross country skiing for winter weeks, and the list goes on And on. FYI- In October 2023, RCI filed a lawsuit that is now in federal court in Maine against both the former and current owners for canceling the timeshare exchange program. It was reported in www.law360.com last week that Allen Connors, one of the former owners, said that the timeshare exchange contract with RCI was included in the P and S. Giri said it was not. RCI‘s agreement with Bethel Inn is supposed to go through 2025. This lawsuit could take a while to get to a decision. So it appears that both the current and former owners are spending a lot on this litigation. All owners need to confront the current owners with their grievances. It also looks like they want to get rid of all the timeshare owners so that they can take back these properties and sell them as nightly hotel rooms.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
Just for the record I reported to this to the Office of the Maine Attorney General Consumer Protection Division on May 30, 2023. Kate Murphy's replied, "Thank you for filing your complaint and inquiring about Giri Management. At this time, we have had no complaints filed against Giri Management. While we are unable to mediate this type of complaint, we encourage you to seek legal advice and answers from a private attorney, due to the nature of your complaint. Additionally, as Giri Management is located out of Massachusetts, you may consider reaching out to the Massachusetts Attorney General for information and assistance. We appreciate your interested in reporting this information to our office. We will report this to the Federal Trade Commission and will keep it on file. I didn't go any further and now wish I had, but isn't there some kind of statue of limitation? Maybe We should still contact Mass Consumer Protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

smiller8256

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn Bethel, Maine
Just for the record I reported to this to the Office of the Maine Attorney General Consumer Protection Division on May 30, 2023. Kate Murphy's replied, "Thank you for filing your complaint and inquiring about Giri Management. At this time, we have had no complaints filed against Giri Management. While we are unable to mediate this type of complaint, we encourage you to seek legal advice and answers from a private attorney, due to the nature of your complaint. Additionally, as Giri Management is located out of Massachusetts, you may consider reaching out to the Massachusetts Attorney General for information and assistance. We appreciate your interested in reporting this information to our office. We will report this to the Federal Trade Commission and will keep it on file. I didn't go any further and now wish I had, but isn't there some kind of statue of limitation? Maybe We should still contact Mass Consumer Protection.
RCI is currently suing the Bethel Inn for breach of contract. Apparently their agreement ran through 2025. I intend to contact RCI lawyers and see if they want the owners on their side. Without RCI or a similar organization the value of the timeshare is greatly diminished.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
RCI is currently suing the Bethel Inn for breach of contract. Apparently their agreement ran through 2025. I intend to contact RCI lawyers and see if they want the owners on their side. Without RCI or a similar organization the value of the timeshare is greatly diminished.
I would be willing to join anyone who wants to make a case against both Connors and Giri. CROOKS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn 2 units
I would be willing to join anyone who wants to make a case against both Connors and Giri. CROOKS

My wife and I have been staying in the Bethel area for over 30 years and purchased our week in Millbrook +/- 18 years ago. We have used our week on property more times than not. It is sickening to think that we're now being forced to give up something we paid for and loved. I can remember the sales pitch Craig, I won't say his last name, but his pitch was " A tank of gas and a bag of groceries you will always have a vacation" I truly fell for that line. I'm sure Craig and the previous owners have a pocket full of money and its sounds like we have nothing. This might also be the demise of one of Maine's most beautiful towns as we know it. I hope not. I agree, this doesn't feel right. JM
Craig Hanson.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn 2 units
I have also emailed Mr. Wright. His colleague kindly replied that KL Gates' main goal is to get Bethel to comply with existing obligations under the contract with RCI. They are unable to represent individual unit owners. He suggested that individual unit owners pursue their own legal counsel if deemed necessary.

Barnyard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn
I think we need to hire an Attorney to review the Timeshare Ownership Agreement. I'm particularly interested in number 9 on the second page. It reads;
"9. Termination of Condominium. In the event the Condominium is terminated, the Resort shall from proceeds derived from any sale of the Condominium property distribute such sums as are fair and just to the Timeshare Owner in full liquidation of Timeshare Owner's Timeshare pursuant to the provisions of the Condominium Documents." Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bethel Inn 2 units
I think we need to hire an Attorney to review the Timeshare Ownership Agreement. I'm particularly interested in number 9 on the second page. It reads;
"9. Termination of Condominium. In the event the Condominium is terminated, the Resort shall from proceeds derived from any sale of the Condominium property distribute such sums as are fair and just to the Timeshare Owner in full liquidation of Timeshare Owner's Timeshare pursuant to the provisions of the Condominium Documents." Any thoughts?
None of us know who each other is. There are potentially hundreds of time share unit owners. Who said anything about the condominium being terminated?