• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Vidanta resorts?

abbyz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We have been going to Cabo San Lucas for years and had a timeshare at what became Hyatt Ziva. We left after they took out the kitchens, blaming it on the hurricane back a few years ago. So we got into Vidanta, which may have been a mistake? The one in San Jose badly needs updating. And my partner got covered with no seeum bites which had not happened anywhere else. And we love San Jose town.
That said, we would like to try Riviera Maya or Nuevo Vallarta. We have grand luxxe level. And I do not want to be bombarded at a sales presentation to upgrade. I have been through this racket so much I would not buy another timeshare , so, what do you suggest. It sounds like the NV grand Luke has access to a beach? Or you have to get there. We don’t have kids so none of that stuff is of interest and we would like to be able to use the kitchenette, not do all inclusive. Do you have to do all inclusive?
Thank you in advance. Abby.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @abbyz
Nuevo Vallarta is a lot closer to San Francisco.
however Vidanta NV & RM are large scale resorts with shuttle transportation.

If you want a footprint scale closer to Vidanta GM St Jose try out the Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta Marina.
It is about 200 units. The one bedrooms all have kitchenettes [ 2 burner stove - large bar fridge - coffee maker - microwave]
There are a lot of walk to restaurants in the PV Marina & easy cab access to Centro Puerto Vallarta.

The Mayan Palace 1 bedrooms are about 700 sq feet . Bedroom has a king bed
2 bedrooms are lock- off format and add about 400 sq feet with 2 double beds

I hope that helps you.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Hello,
We have been going to Cabo San Lucas for years and had a timeshare at what became Hyatt Ziva. We left after they took out the kitchens, blaming it on the hurricane back a few years ago. So we got into Vidanta, which may have been a mistake? The one in San Jose badly needs updating. And my partner got covered with no seeum bites which had not happened anywhere else. And we love San Jose town.
That said, we would like to try Riviera Maya or Nuevo Vallarta. We have grand luxxe level. And I do not want to be bombarded at a sales presentation to upgrade. I have been through this racket so much I would not buy another timeshare , so, what do you suggest. It sounds like the NV grand Luke has access to a beach? Or you have to get there. We don’t have kids so none of that stuff is of interest and we would like to be able to use the kitchenette, not do all inclusive. Do you have to do all inclusive?
If you have Grand Luxxe, I would suggest using it to book the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta (west coast) or Riviera Maya (east coast). No Vidanta resort is all inclusive. The Grand Luxxe units have large kitchens with all the amenities (except for an oven). The units are quite a bit better than the Vidanta Grand Mayan units in San Jose del Cabo. One exception is the distance to town. The Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo is close to town. That is not the case with either of the two I mention above. If walking to off the resort restaurants is important, then the suggestion of the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta, mentioned by T-Dot-Traveller is the way to go. But although I am a Mayan Palace "owner", the Grand Luxxe would be my first choice. Or, if you have two weeks, try the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta for one week and the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta for another week. Great way to compare for future visits.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Hello,
As far as being "bombarded at a sales presentation to upgrade", just firmly decline at check in and be done with it. Take the welcome drink and walk away.
If you really like San Jose del Cabo, you might want to try Cabo Azul (Hilton) which is next to the Grand Mayan that you have stayed at. It is an excellent resort.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I am a GL "owner". I have been a Vidanta 'owner" for 25 years at all levels and know the system quite well.

You did not say what size GL unit you have and that makes quite the difference in your accommodations.
  • A GL Hotel unit gets you a 1 bedroom unit at MP, GM, GB, but just a bedroom at GL. (In my opinion, I would choose GB when possible.)
  • The GL 1-bedroom will get you a nice 1-bedroom, 1-1/2 bath GL unit, or a 2 bedroom unit at the lower levels or a 1-bedroom plus a hotel unit for a total of 2 weeks at the lower levels. They do not have to be consecutive.
  • The GL 2-bedroom gets you an awesome unit or a1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom at lower levels. Sometime they let you reserve at different time and other times, they have to be consecutive. (I have been able to do both over the past few years.)

Feel free to ask me questions.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at a 1 bed 2 bath GL in Riviera Maya and absolutely loved it. Fully equipped, just missing an oven. No walkable restaurant that is not on a resort but I had a rental car so I was okay with that.
All the units at RM have beach access. The resort is huge and they have small shuttle always available to take you to the beach and different areas of the resort. We liked to walk so we did sometimes. Allowed us to enjoy the beautiful property.

You can only be bombarded at a sales presentation if you choose to attend one. Just say no at check-in and go about your business.

Lves2raft

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Scotland
Does anyone know how to get an offer to come visit a Vidante property on a good deal for a vacation if I sit through a presentation? I own with Marriott already but thinking of getting something in Mexico since that’s where we always end up. High income family - would be 2 adults two older teenagers (adults) and two you teens. So kind of need a 2 bed or two 2 bed units properties

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Hello,
  • RM & NV GL both have beach access and great dedicated pools. It is an easy walk from your unit, or you can take a shuttle.
  • Just keep saying no to the "update". They will call you at least one or two times after your NO at check-in. Just stay firm. It is not required.
  • Vidanta does not have A/I. They sometimes have an offer that is similar - prepaid credit, but we have never used it because we buy groceries, snacks and beverages when in town and eat breakfast and some other meal in our unit. I do not go to resorts for the food - I prefer local fare. A/I makes me feel like I have to eat and drink too much to ups up the $$. I do not eat after 5pm and most of the dinner restaurants do not start until 7pm. I am a eat to live person, not live to eat one, so do not spend a lot on food.
  • In NV, you can walk down the beach and find restaurants, bus to PV, or Uber to go for lunch or dinner. The last 2 stays at NV GL, I did not spend more than $150 at check-out for either week and most of that was the room taxes. We had a pastry charge and 3 pool happy hour charges. We do a day at the resort and a day out and about where we eat lunch and then buy something for the next day at the resort. (I took a friend in April to NV and we spent $350 each for the week including taxis and uber.) We ate in Bucerias once and PV twice and did breakfast and late lunch/early dinner either in our room or at Taco Break. We bought pasteries and beverages at Mega or LeComer. We bought a rotisserie chicken, fresh guacamole, fresh salsa, chips, beer, and wine for resort days.
  • You have to take a taxi out, but can return via Uber for about 1/2 the taxi fare.
  • I am going to RM GL with some gals in late April and am thinkng of ordering the basic groceries and beverages to arrive around the time we do. Then we can use Salum for a couple of meals and go to Playa del Carmen and Puerto Morales for some day trips and eat there. One day we will go to Cozumel via the ferry from Playa. There is a shuttle to Playa that is cheaper than a taxi, depending on how many are traveling.

ecassidy6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony
We will be going to GL Riviera Maya in April 2025. From where do you recommend ordering groceries and beverages for delivery to resort arriving at same time as you?

BTW: For those ‘trading into resort’: only Grand Luxxe owners have access to GL pool and beach area.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We will be going to GL Riviera Maya in April 2025. From where do you recommend ordering groceries and beverages for delivery to resort arriving at same time as you?

BTW: For those ‘trading into resort’: only Grand Luxxe owners have access to GL pool and beach area
As a Vidanta Mayan Palace brand owner - I also cannot use Grand Luxxe pools or beach area
so "IMO " this is fair- since I didn't pay more for that access and neither did exchangers.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

BTW: For those ‘trading into resort’: only Grand Luxxe owners have access to GL pool and beach area.
https://www.pigoutgroceries.com/ Gets great recommendations. It used to be another gal that did it, but she sold to the gal that owns Whiskey Kitchen restaurant. Just look at the website.

I've read that Walmart will do grocery deliveries too. With either, you have to meet them at the taxi station area.

ecassidy6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Manor Club at Ford’s Colony
I will keep this info on file in case I return to Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta. Do you know of a similar delivery grocery service that delivers to Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya?

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just to clarify, those in non-GL units at RM still have access to the beach. Just a different section (more crowded).