• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach chairs and umbrellas at Costco

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Costco on Maui always carries beach chairs,and umbrellas? If so, the cost? We are trying to determine if we will rent the equipment, or purchase if Costco has it. We will be at the WKORV for 2 weeks late October and early November.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
They had them when we were there about a month ago. I don't recall the exact prices, but I want to say around $33 for a two pack of nice chairs. We were able to borrow chairs from the resort, but the ones at Costco were much nicer. I remember remarking that it would have been worth the price for the more comfortable chairs. I remember seeing umbrellas, but I didn't look at the price. We usually selected beaches that had some shade and used it instead of an umbrella. The DT Fleming Park was great for that. Lots of trees around the top.

Sheila

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
It is usually cheaper to buy it than rent - everyone discount store on Maui has LOTS of beach equipment for sale.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
If you buy an umbrella - buy a good one - the cheap ones are too flimsy and will get turned inside out the first day. Maui beaches are breezy.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We recently bought a nice Tommy Bahama umbrella from Costco in San Jose. Took it with us to San Diego. The pole screws into the sand and is very sturdy. The umbrella is rated either 50 or 100. I think it was around $25-30. It worked great for us.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chairs are $34 each and the umbrella is $25. The WKOVN charges $40 a day for 2 chairs and an umbrella (on the beach). The best way to secure the Tommy Bahama umbrella is to buy a small shovel at Home Depot for $12 and dig a hole 24" deep in the sand. Then screw the Tommy Bahama umbrella which has a built in sand anchor into the ground as far as it will go without breaking the handle. Cover the hole. That should withstand winds up to 20mph without damaging the umbrella or having it fly away.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may want to consider a beach tent instead - about the same price as a good umbrella and less likely to be damaged by the wind. You can use a sand pail to fill the floor with sand to help anchor it.

Beach-Tent.jpg

It's easier to just sit in the shade - but remember, the sun is intense in Hawaii, and you can get a bad burn in the shade, from the reflection off the sand and water. My DH did this on our last trip. He didn't put sunscreen on, because he stayed in the shade, and he got burnt anyway.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Be cautious about thinking about buying chairs from Costco in Hi.

Costco is very big on inventory turns, they stock stuff when it is in season and expect it to be gone long before that season is over. So I do not know if I would expect the Costco to still stock chairs in HI in Oct/Nov.

So right now they have summer lawn stuff. As expected, but they should be either discounting it, with the vendors approval, or pulling it and shipping it back to the vendor by Early Mid September. At that point they will be putting up Holloween and Christmas stuff up.

You may want to give them a call first.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That seems odd, since Hawaii is warm year round, and doesn't have the traditional warm weather seasons, like other areas.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
That seems odd, since Hawaii is warm year round, and doesn't have the traditional warm weather seasons, like other areas.
That's what I was thinking, but also why I asked the question. Maybe someone who travels to Maui in October/November every year or someone who lives in Maui could chime in as well.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Costco will have them - plus places like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc. You won't have trouble finding them, because the demand is year round.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Be cautious about thinking about buying chairs from Costco in Hi.

Costco is very big on inventory turns, they stock stuff when it is in season and expect it to be gone long before that season is over. So I do not know if I would expect the Costco to still stock chairs in HI in Oct/Nov.

So right now they have summer lawn stuff. As expected, but they should be either discounting it, with the vendors approval, or pulling it and shipping it back to the vendor by Early Mid September. At that point they will be putting up Holloween and Christmas stuff up.

You may want to give them a call first.

My spouse works for Costco. I'm told beach chairs and umbrellas are considered Garden Department, and Christmas/Halloween things are considered Holiday or Seasonal Department. Hawaii Costco stores will have beach chairs year-round, as part of their normal Garden Department things. What may be changing would be patio furniture options and more "permanent" items. Those would be reduced in the Fall and Winter months. But something with year round demand there, like beach chairs, umbrellas, swimwear, and snorkeling equipment wouldn't go away, as they do here on the Mainland. The number of choices may be reduced some, but it's doubtful they would go away entirely. Sort of like inflatable boats in Montana Costco stores - they're available year round, with a larger number of choices in the Spring and Summer seasons.

But as you say, if there are questions, call the warehouse ahead of time to ask. And if all else fails, I'd wager WalMart will have something, or your neighborhood ABC Store. But as we all know, you get what you pay for. ;)

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Last year DW and I bit the the bullet and bought a Sunsail cabana.

http://www.sunsailcabana.com/

It's a little big and we have to check it but we get free bags with United but
Boy it's nice and we never have to worry about the wind.:D

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. We are not looking to spend a fortune, as the resorts we normally go to (not in HI) have palapas and chairs on the beach...included with the resort. This trip is probably a once in a decade trip for us, as HI is so expensive compared to where we normally go.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Last year DW and I bit the the bullet and bought a Sunsail cabana.

http://www.sunsailcabana.com/

It's a little big and we have to check it but we get free bags with United but
Boy it's nice and we never have to worry about the wind.:D

Jeff, that looks interesting, but I have a question: Does it NEED wind in order to work? The video shows it on a windy day. What about if there is no wind? Does it droop all over you? What do you NOT like about it?

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
No, it's tall enough so it doesn't lay on you with no wind. It sets up really
Fast. The only two things I don't like are the initial expense, like most things
I'm over that now and that we have to check it on flights. The main pole is the longest
One and I'm thinking of experimenting with a PVC pipe cut in half and then use
A union to put them together but i don't know if that will compromise the
Strength it has in the wind.

It really shines in a moderate to heavy winds that most umbrellas can't take.
We get Lot's of inquiries about it, especially because it goes up so quick in
Heavy wind.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it's tall enough so it doesn't lay on you with no wind. It sets up really
Fast. The only two things I don't like are the initial expense, like most things
I'm over that now and that we have to check it on flights. The main pole is the longest
One and I'm thinking of experimenting with a PVC pipe cut in half and then use
A union to put them together but i don't know if that will compromise the
Strength it has in the wind.

It really shines in a moderate to heavy winds that most umbrellas can't take.
We get Lot's of inquiries about it, especially because it goes up so quick in
Heavy wind.

Jeff: Can you tell us how long the main pole is? Is it over 50"?

Last edited:

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Be sure to factor in the checked baggage charges...

It is usually cheaper to buy it than rent -

...both ways.
We check one dive bag containing snorkel gear, water shoes for two and one shade tent.

A $25 baggage check each way almost makes buying and abandoning cheap beach chairs a likely choice.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The longer pole is 48 inches. That one is metal. I didn't try any modification
Because like KauaiMark says it is pretty cheap taking checking it and it just
Slings over my shoulder and is not heavy at all. We always check bags anyway
So it has worked out great for us.

It really is amazing how easy it is to set up in the wind. We find ourselves at
The beach more since we have it.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider a beach tent instead - about the same price as a good umbrella and less likely to be damaged by the wind. You can use a sand pail to fill the floor with sand to help anchor it.

Beach-Tent.jpg

It's easier to just sit in the shade - but remember, the sun is intense in Hawaii, and you can get a bad burn in the shade, from the reflection off the sand and water. My DH did this on our last trip. He didn't put sunscreen on, because he stayed in the shade, and he got burnt anyway.

I was in the shade for 2 full hours. Knew that I had to be careful with reflective sun. I had my sun hat on, swim suit, hawaii shirt with only neck and button below unbuttoned. When I got back to the condo, had pink under my chin, down my neck to the first buttoned button. I don't like using sun screen.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
...I don't like using sun screen.

What ever your reasons for not liking sunscreen, you definitely won't like any type of cancer that sun burn can cause you.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
But something with year round demand there, like beach chairs, umbrellas, swimwear, and snorkeling equipment wouldn't go away, as they do here on the Mainland. The number of choices may be reduced some, but it's doubtful they would go away entirely. Sort of like inflatable boats in Montana Costco stores - they're available year round, with a larger number of choices in the Spring and Summer seasons.

My parents live on Oahu. They are retired and enjoy going to Costco weekly -- from their observations, there are beach chairs and umbrellas available everytime they go. Selection varies year round as with most Costcos -- the model you liked last time you went might not be there the next time. But there should be some chairs and umbrellas when you go barring some stock outage.

Can't advise as to Kauai or Maui, but I would suspect it would be similar.

-ryan

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Beach chairs and umbrellas seem to be available at the Maui Costco every time we go.

As mentioned - they also sell these at KMart - but Costco tends to be sturdier.
Obviously better than renting at WKORV/N if you use more than 2-3 days.

You can borrow shovel from the WKORV/N guys that set-up the rental umbrellas

Last time - we rented from an on-island company that delivered and picked up at WKORV (can't recall name - but should be searchable) - quite reasonable. They were Tommy Bahama brand.

Don't like sunscreen (?) - get a of couple sun-shirts - I have tried a few - by far my favorite are the UnderArmour HeatGear Loose fit (incredible comfort and fit loosely) - I found a couple on-line at a discount ($25 each - that is like 2 cans of sunscreen spray)... these are a must-have.

like this...
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-catalyst-tshirt/pid1210671-325

Last edited: