• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Value in Travel Agents?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have always been a Do It Myself type and I think most Tuggers are probably like me. I just booked a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises on the new ships Icon and Utopia for 2024 and 2025 since they are kid friendly and my daughters really want to go. On Facebook, many people say you should use a travel agent to advocate for you with cruises. There is no additional cost and they offer an on board credit and can monitor prices changes. I am able to transfer my reservations to a travel agent within 30 days of booking. I tend to like to have control of my vacations and not sure giving up control to a travel agent is worth an on board credit. Do others use a travel agent? If so, what are the pros and cons for you?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Like you, I am a DIY travel person.

First time cruisers on Holland America. We used Costco travel. Is that a travel agent?

Costco offered a lot of free perks that the direct purchase did not. We also could see the cabin and deck location on Costco.com and received a Costco gift card as rebate.

I tried Cruisecompete.com to see if other agents could do better than Costco deal. So far not better.

I heard that booking your next cruise while onboard is best deal. Then transfer to agent to get free perks. Havent tried that yet.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My experience: Costco Travel was able to negotiate a discount on the fare for a Celebrity cruise we're taking next year around Italy and Greece. I had the Celebrity cruise credit from a previous cancelled cruise, but Costco was offering the same new cruise at a lower price. I let Costco do the heavy lifting, and I ended up with the stateroom I wanted, application of my Celebrity cruise credit, a major fare discount, a military discount, and then a substantial second fare discount. All in, I ended up with an excellent cruise that I specifically wanted, at a price that saved something like 60% off the listed fare. I paid with my Costco Visa, so will get a rebate from Costco AND a rebate from Citi. And when the cruise is all done, I'll receive a Costco Gift Card, too. It's a solid win all the way around. I'm really pleased.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that Costco and many large travel agencies have group rates on certain cruises and stateroom categories. Those are usually launch day prices which the travel agencies secured. With group rates, your stateroom can end up costing 1/2 or 2/3 of the current rate.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
With Costco, are you assigned one of their travel agents or do you just call in and speak to anyone who can help you? What is their availability like if you need something? Do they advise on all aspects of the cruise as well?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With Costco, are you assigned one of their travel agents or do you just call in and speak to anyone who can help you? What is their availability like if you need something? Do they advise on all aspects of the cruise as well?
You get whoever answers the phone everytime. But there are enough notes in the system to make it seamless. They are super helpful but they are mainly just order takers. They are not true travel agents. Having said that, many of them do have experience with certain cruise lines and will share their experience.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A travel agent can be great or not so great. There were times when wait times to call in to make a change or request a price adjustment could take hours. Would you rather be doing that or would you rather the agent be doing that? I am referring more to small independant agents, not just another online booking conglomerate like Cruise.com or Costco. When you book yourself directly with the cruise line you may not get certain perks, especially with RCCL as most of the travel agents out there can offer certain perks like free gratuities or additional onboard credit. Some cruise lines you may find the prices the same regardless if you book directly or with an agent but some agents are able to access group space that was blocked back when the cruise originally went on sale and the prices can be cheaper. It is good to shop around some and have an independant agent on hand to check prices. The reality is though, many small agents work purely on commission and if you are just "best price" shopping, you are better to just book yourself or go through some other large online cruise booking agent (Costco, Cruise.com) instead of tire kicking with an independant agent.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You get whoever answers the phone everytime. But there are enough notes in the system to make it seamless. They are super helpful but they are mainly just order takers. They are not true travel agents. Having said that, many of them do have experience with certain cruise lines and will share their experience.

If there is a problem with the sailing, does the Costco agent help or are you on your own?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with @dioxide45. Independent agents can provide really personalized service, where you can text and email them. The only caution is that you need to make sure that you are making payment directly to the cruise line via the agents instead of to the agents, before the agents routing the payment to the cruiseline. There have been cases of shaddy travel agents taking the money and disappearing.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is a problem with the sailing, does the Costco agent help or are you on your own?
What sort of problem with the sailing? Before you leave, if they change itinerary or cancel the cruise, then it is straight forward, you just contact Costco. If you have an issue while you are on the cruise, then you deal with the cruiseline. If you want someone to go to the mattresses for you, then you should go to a good independent travel agent.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
On cruises, we DO have 'our guy', Donald, at vacationstogo. He seems to be available night & day & weekends, and has always come through for upgrades and rebookings if there is a price drop. Oftentimes, we'll book directly with the cruise line. It just depends on the comfort level with a certain cruise.

Jim

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What sort of problem with the sailing? Before you leave, if they change itinerary or cancel the cruise, then it is straight forward, you just contact Costco. If you have an issue while you are on the cruise, then you deal with the cruiseline. If you want someone to go to the mattresses for you, then you should go to a good independent travel agent.

It is little details like adding the names of everyone to the reservation. I can‘t seem to do it online myself for the second cruise I booked. Also adding insurance to the bookings. I could call Royal Caribbean for these things and I will call them tomorrow to find out what the problem is. Looks like Costco will offer over $500 in shopping credit for each of my sailings so it is tempting. The independent agent mentioned $400 per sailing but I am super cautious since he is independent. The pricing with Costco and Royal Caribbean direct for the Icon cruise is about the same. Costco does not have the Utopia cruises loaded in their system yet. Utopia was just released for sales on Thurs/Fri.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is little details like adding the names of everyone to the reservation. I can‘t seem to do it online myself for the second cruise I booked. Also adding insurance to the bookings. I could call Royal Caribbean for these things and I will call them tomorrow to find out what the problem is. Looks like Costco will offer over $500 in shopping credit for each of my sailings so it is tempting. The independent agent mentioned $400 per sailing but I am super cautious since he is independent. The pricing with Costco and Royal Caribbean direct for the Icon cruise is about the same. Costco does not have the Utopia cruises loaded in their system yet. Utopia was just released for sales on Thurs/Fri.
Think of an independant agent as more like concierge travel services. Their business is gaining and retaining customers and the commissions aren't high for mainline cruises. If they have good reviews and are working with a licensed host agency, you have little to worry about. They don't want a bad reputation and it is very rare that you are going to get ripped off by an independant agent. Many independant agents do travel services for people who don't have the time to research and just want to be presented with several options to pick from and then they book. For many, time is money and when an independant agent doesn't cost more, that time can be rather valuable.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some independents are very good. I use one on and off. I think @dioxide45 can help with one ;) , if I am not mistaken. You can PM him directly.

Reaction score
I look at Travel Agents like Insurance Agents. If you do it yourself, you don't have a go-to person for questions, you get whomever answers at a call center. Having an agent means you have a person - usually who is local and you can see in person - who can answer questions. There is no cost to have an agent, the company (insurance or cruise/travel) pays the agent. The number of "shady" agents is small, since both are required to send all money received from the customer to the company immediately (fiduciary responsibility). The best bet is to find an agent who has been doing this for at least a year, the shady ones are those who just opened up. For instance, I know a woman in Jacksonville FL who is a cruise agent, her business has been ranked as the best in the city for a couple years.

TS

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
There is no cost to have an agent, the company (insurance or cruise/travel) pays the agent.

Of course there is a cost to have an agent. Same thing with real estate agents. "The seller pays the agent."

Oh? And who is spending the money on the house? The buyer ultimately pays for all agents. No exceptions.

You pay to have an agent. Just because they've made the process transparent so that few people notice doesn't mean you're not paying for it. That's why they were the first casualty of the internet. And it's why airline tickets cost considerably less compared to when there was a travel agency in every other strip mall in North America.

The same thing that happened with travel agents is currently happening with real estate agents. Buyers are getting wise to the fact that they're spending an extra 6% on what is usually the biggest purchase of their lives.

When the dust settles, there will still be real estate agents -- just like there are still travel agents. But the days of a real estate office in every other strip mall in North America are numbered.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have always been a Do It Myself type and I think most Tuggers are probably like me. I just booked a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises on the new ships Icon and Utopia for 2024 and 2025 since they are kid friendly and my daughters really want to go. On Facebook, many people say you should use a travel agent to advocate for you with cruises. There is no additional cost and they offer an on board credit and can monitor prices changes. I am able to transfer my reservations to a travel agent within 30 days of booking. I tend to like to have control of my vacations and not sure giving up control to a travel agent is worth an on board credit. Do others use a travel agent? If so, what are the pros and cons for you?
Not for a cruise, but we actually just came back from a tour booked through a travel agent, even though I researched what we wanted on my own and just told her to book it.

First time using an agent - and doing a tour - in like forever. We always travel independently and arrange everything on our own.

The reason we did this was because I am the travel planner in our marriage and I wasn’t really feeling up to dealing with the logistics since my back issues and subsequent spine surgery this year.

So she handled everything the tour company offered - the airfare, hotel transfers, cancel for any reason insurance, we also would have gotten free bus transfer to the airport from home and back, compliments of the travel agent, but our flight time changed and we ended up having to hire our own car service ( mucho dinero).

So for me the main thing with using the travel agent was relieving me of the responsibility of dealing with all the logistics and fine print. She was also helpful in terms of some suggestions regarding our concerns.

Would I use her again? Sure- depending on what it was we were doing. I feel there is some clout the travel agents have with these tour and cruise companies. But we’re not cruise fans so I can’t advise you in that regard.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Adding names or insurance is something they should easily be able to handle.

If you see the cruise line booking the same cruise for lower price than you paid to Costco, call Costco and tell them about it, requesting a reduction on the price. They'll confirm and book you in at the lower rate. That was part of how I got such a reduced cost on the cruise we're doing next Summer. They may ask you to wait while they contact the cruise line, so in that sense act very much like a travel agent. The difference is they can't book you into something specific that isn't offered on the Costco Travel website.

It's important to note that Costco Travel is a separate arm of the Costco corporation, and the people who work there often have experience in the travel industry. One person I spoke to had been a travel agent prior to Covid, but the company closed down. She moved to Costco Travel, and was able to share her industry experience with Costco customers. So it was like having a little of both.

Dave

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Adding names or insurance is something they should easily be able to handle.

If you see the cruise line booking the same cruise for lower price than you paid to Costco, call Costco and tell them about it, requesting a reduction on the price. They'll confirm and book you in at the lower rate. That was part of how I got such a reduced cost on the cruise we're doing next Summer. They may ask you to wait while they contact the cruise line, so in that sense act very much like a travel agent. The difference is they can't book you into something specific that isn't offered on the Costco Travel website.

It's important to note that Costco Travel is a separate arm of the Costco corporation, and the people who work there often have experience in the travel industry. One person I spoke to had been a travel agent prior to Covid, but the company closed down. She moved to Costco Travel, and was able to share her industry experience with Costco customers. So it was like having a little of both.

Dave

I am going to call and find out more. Does Costco set up any price alerts on their end so they can contact you if prices go down? I am actually interested in an upgrade to a suite on Icon but the prices for the summer on Icon are too high. I got a great price on the Utopia for a star class suite so I doubt that will go down but you never know. Icon and Utopia are the new ships that launch in 2024. I only booked Utopia because I want to stay in the 2BR Aqua Theater Suite and the price was super reasonable for President’s Day in 2025.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am going to call and find out more. Does Costco set up any price alerts on their end so they can contact you if prices go down? I am actually interested in an upgrade to a suite on Icon but the prices for the summer on Icon are too high. I got a great price on the Utopia for a star class suite so I doubt that will go down but you never know. Icon and Utopia are the new ships that launch in 2024. I only booked Utopia because I want to stay in the 2BR Aqua Theater Suite and the price was super reasonable for President’s Day in 2025.

I'd call and ask. That kind of thing could be specific enough on the new ships that Costco may not be able to deal with it yet. I think they need to be able to find the cruise you're looking into, and if they aren't yet booking it, they may not be able to do what you want. But it starts with a phone call. Can't hurt.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not aware of any travel agents that will notify you of a price drop. It is up to you to watch for these. When prices drop, so do commissions. So it usually isn't in the best interest of a travel agent to watch for these. Some of the bigger travel agents will charge for rebookings and price drop adjustments. I noticed this with United *Airlines* Cruises. Most independant travel agents won't charge such a fee because they want to keep happy customers. I don't beleive Costco charges a fee. Now we just need a company like AutoSlash to track cruise prices.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago we used a Travel Agent to Book a trip because I was having problems Booking all the Flights - PDX to LAX to Auckland to Holbart to Sydney to LAX to PDX. And they all had to be on Alaska Airlines Partners. Two days before we left we discovered they had made mistakes as to spelling of Names and DOB's. So they had to do a bunch of work correcting things in about 24 hours. Then as we were preparing to Board in Auckland Qantas noticed I had two separate VISAs to enter Australia. This is a no no. Qantas got on telephone and computer and got it all straight. But this also meant the Travel Agent Billed me for an extra VISA. Never again with a Travel Agent.