• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Air fare to London in June

rl2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been checking for air fare to London in June and the rates all seem to be over $1,000 r/t. Does anyone know what the historical prices have been for this time of year and when the best time is to buy tickets?

They seems to be much cheaper earlier and I don't know how low they will go for the summer season.

We can leave out of NY, Philadelphia or Baltimore.

Thanks for your help.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Check http://www.farecompare.com. Thay have a graph of fares for a year. I am afraid summer season is the highest of the year. :(

Cheers

rl2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw that site before I posted the question. I can not find historicals for london on it. They did show me prices but it says that they don't have the historicals for that route.

Did I miss something?

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
farecompare doesn't have historical data on international or ex-USA routings, AFAIK.

Based on my experience and travels, JFK will likely be your best bet. I'd suggest a bucket shop or consolidator. A Google search will turn up plenty of them. Learn to love Air India ;)

IMO, now through the end of January is the best time to seriously shop.

Lastly, another option to consider is using miles/points. I always consider 50K a good burn, especially from our location on the west coast.

Pat

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw that site before I posted the question. I can not find historicals for london on it. They did show me prices but it says that they don't have the historicals for that route.

Did I miss something?

Sorry, I did not know that. Must be the New Years Memory Lapse Syndrome. :wall:

Cheers

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Hi,

I have been checking for air fare to London in June and the rates all seem to be over $1,000 r/t. Does anyone know what the historical prices have been for this time of year and when the best time is to buy tickets?

They seems to be much cheaper earlier and I don't know how low they will go for the summer season.

We can leave out of NY, Philadelphia or Baltimore.

Thanks for your help.

Don't forget the small airports too like Harrisburg & Allentown and of course, the big one in Newark. I had to go to London in July when my DD had her baby and I paid over $1100 but I wanted to fly on a specific airline. Her inlaws only paid about $700 out of Newark on British Air.

You can also check flying into Shannon or Dublin and then taking a Low Cost Carrier(LCC) into London.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having just returned from London on Sunday - let me add this: the airfare is only the beginning of the money drain!! I was shocked at how expensive London has become. The weakening of the dollar vs the pound has had a profound effect.

We took a 3 1/2 mile walk one afternoon. We opted to take a cab back to the apartment. For the measly 3 1/2 miles - it cost us $40!!! Ouch. This included an $8 fee for taking a cab on a holiday, and a 10% tip to the driver.

The salad bar at Whole Foods (which did contain some entree type items - but mostly salad stuff) was approx. $15/pound.

I'm saying this not to scare you - but to prepare you.

After a few days, we had to just stop looking at the prices and just take the hit.

rl2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know the costs. I alway assume double what you would pay here. Cabs are very expensive, we will be close to a tube station and buy the week pass.

Thankfully we got a nice timeshare at very little cost to stay for the week!:whoopie:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
It matters what part of June you are travelling in, as the cut off between shoulder season and high season for most airlines for TATL travel is about June 10, give or take a few days so the first week and a few days of June will be cheaper than the last part of June.

Second, a big factor in air ticket prices to the UK is the huge new air ticket tax imposed by Gordon Brown officially in order to discourage air travel to ''save the planet'' but probably more likely to cover a shortfall in Olympics preparation costs. As a result of this tax, I have seen low season fares this winter to London where the tax is more than the airfare. The tax is charged as a departure tax, so one way to avoid it and pay the much cheaper shorthaul departure tax instead is to fly open jaws, into the UK and out from another European country, bridging the two with a cheap LCC flight.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have seen low season fares this winter to London where the tax is more than the airfare. The tax is charged as a departure tax, so one way to avoid it and pay the much cheaper shorthaul departure tax instead is to fly open jaws, into the UK and out from another European country, bridging the two with a cheap LCC flight.

Good advice. I used FF Miles to book a flight from Dayton to London. If I had made it round trip London, it would have been about $400. Result was I flew in via CDG, booked a cheap fare from London to Venice via bmiBaby for about $60 (including fees and taxes) and returned from Venice after a short stay there. My TALT cost was then ~$85 in fees and taxes.

Cheers

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
@jme, did you realize you were reviving a thread from 2008?