• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Air fare curtailing trips

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Talking to friends, it seems that many aren't heading to destinations with a high air fare. I reserved a trip earlier this month using miles so I didn't see the cash price but have since looked. Holy cow.... Our flights for one trip were over $1,200 each without using miles or discounts. It took 70,000 miles a ticket which in the past was enough for 1st class.

The price increase kind of surprised me.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That’s what I’ve been saying. I mean when it costs $1300 for 2 people to fly couch on a connecting flight from NH to Florida….

After our Italy trip in the fall I’m done. Hopefully we’ll survive it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Most infrequent travelers are not experienced with finding the best fares nor will dedicate the time needed to check regularly (or even setting the easy to use alerts at various sites, and then won't purchase when the fare drops). But they will complain.

free2travel

Reaction score
otoh, we got R/T Biz Class tix to fly half-way around the world for 66,000 miles + $55. Of all the things to complain about with air-travel, cost is far down the list. On top of what Ken said, many people can't even imagine how widely ticket prices vary to get from Pt A to Pt B, so they don't even see the value in becoming skilled at buying them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
otoh, we got R/T Biz Class tix to fly half-way around the world for 66,000 miles + $55.

Great buy. Which airline?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying Friday to Friday 11/22 to 11/29
Set up a flight alert 2 months ago
prices were running $800 min to $1200 max per person
Coach, nothing special
Price difference related to early morning departures, late arrivals, etc. etc.
2 weeks ago, the fares dropped by 45%
best times were now $645
Booked it
Tried to get relatives to book as well
They didn't
Now the same times are $1250

Point of the story
You have to be shopping for air fares
If you go in and check fares once, 4 months out
Fares will likely be higher than you expect
Shop early, shop often,
Get familiar with price alert options at Google Flights, Kayak, Expedia, etc., etc.
I do not book through the sites, but go directly the airline website to book when I see the flights and prices I want
I would happily use the sites, but if there is an issue, I do not want to have someone between me and the airline

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just like timeshares stick to one or two brands.
Leverage their points programs. Get their branded Credit Cards. Use the CC to the hilt on everything you would normally pay for when shopping or paying for services. Yes the merchants or providers incur a fee. Most of those businesses like Medical providers or other merchants have built in the cost of the fee. The smaller Mom and Pop merchant typically add on a fee for the CC transaction.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just like timeshares stick to one or two brands.
Leverage their points programs. Get their branded Credit Cards. Use the CC to the hilt on everything you would normally pay for when shopping or paying for services. Yes the merchants or providers incur a fee. Most of those businesses like Medical providers or other merchants have built in the cost of the fee. The smaller Mom and Pop merchant typically add on a fee for the CC transaction.

I don’t agree. For myself, I get more value out of hotel credit cards, their annual free nights (which more than pay for the annual fee) and pay for flights based on price, itinerary, and desired class. I previously had multiple airline credit cards and now only have one, but still have tons of miles I’m working through. Of course, I get miles for the flights I fly but I rarely choose which flight based on my “loyalty” to them. They certainly don’t have any loyalty to me. In addition to timeshares, I spend a number of nights in hotels every year.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t agree. For myself, I get more value out of hotel credit cards, their annual free nights (which more than pay for the annual fee) and pay for flights based on price, itinerary, and desired class. I previously had multiple airline credit cards and now only have one, but still have tons of miles I’m working through. Of course, I get miles for the flights I fly but I rarely choose which flight based on my “loyalty” to them. They certainly don’t have any loyalty to me. In addition to timeshares, I spend a number of nights in hotels every year.

You have a good strategy that works. Most important it works for you. There was a time when I was spending 3 nights a week at a Marriott branded hotel that was expensed by the business. Accumulated points like wildfire. Heck I bet I still have those points.

I also leverage those points and the Bonvoy Card with the annual free night.

Also used to travel on Delta. So I got the AMEX Skymiles and got free baggage. But now my itinerary seldomly includes Delta. So I ditched that card.

Post Pandemic I find myself flying JetBlue again. DW and I have the JetBlue Plus card and accumulate thousands of points monthly and get free baggage.

On the odd occasion I need to use another airline I will book as needed outside of JetBlue.

Recently also ditched the Chase Sapphire and just got Capital One Venture X. Plan to get their initial bonus of 75K points and will start to accumulate that points pool.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You have a good strategy that works. Most important it works for you. There was a time when I was spending 3 nights a week at a Marriott branded hotel that was expensed by the business. Accumulated points like wildfire. Heck I bet I still have those points.

I also leverage those points and the Bonvoy Card with the annual free night.

Also used to travel on Delta. So I got the AMEX Skymiles and got free baggage. But now my itinerary seldomly includes Delta. So I ditched that card.

Post Pandemic I find myself flying JetBlue again. DW and I have the JetBlue Plus card and accumulate thousands of points monthly and get free baggage.

On the odd occasion I need to use another airline I will book as needed outside of JetBlue.

Recently also ditched the Chase Sapphire and just got Capital One Venture X. Plan to get their initial bonus of 75K points and will start to accumulate that points pool.

It's good that you're regularly evaluating your usage and needs, and adjusting as needed.

I think JetBlue is generally quite good (I had one notable very poor experience, and notified a friend who was a Captain at JetBlue at the time about it). But I think they have the best domestic economy hard product. I fly them when I can, but they don't offer most of the routes I fly.

Shiba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear your complaints about airfare, but we just returned from a trip to the Caribbean, and all four of my flights were packed full. We always get there early, and as flights departed, I kept hearing overhead announcements that all flights were full. I've never seen the airport's parking garage so full. It seems like the cost of tickets are high, but people are still traveling.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Most infrequent travelers are not experienced with finding the best fares nor will dedicate the time needed to check regularly (or even setting the easy to use alerts at various sites, and then won't purchase when the fare drops). But they will complain.
I did. I used Skyscanner alerts for one and also kayak and Google flights and momondo, and Tuggers!.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
otoh, we got R/T Biz Class tix to fly half-way around the world for 66,000 miles + $55. Of all the things to complain about with air-travel, cost is far down the list. On top of what Ken said, many people can't even imagine how widely ticket prices vary to get from Pt A to Pt B, so they don't even see the value in becoming skilled at buying them.
Not everyone is a frequent flier with “ miles” or flies so much to have credit cards with travel perks though.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that people are looking at airfares and may be cutting back on trips. I have always tried to keep flights to every 12 to 18 months and drive the other trips. I also agree that flights are very full these days but I see that as airlines combining and cutting out flights that aren't full. I know I tend to book way in advance and my flights always seem to change. One of our 2 major carriers in Canada just announced a super basic air fare where you can't choose seats, can't take carry on, will be seated at the back of the plane and have to board last. They are getting pushback and will no longer be my preferred airline.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
More people are flying than ever, so finding deals is more challenging.

Thankfully, there are more online tools to help track down those deals, like Google Flights.

The price swings can be enormous if you have a little flexibility and are willing to compromise.

We have a large family, and here are some of the things we have done to save a huge amount on airfare. We also are not big planners, so most trips are booked within a month of going. However, it does take some work to plow through the various options and find deals.

Consider:
1. Flying from a different city nearby. Would you drive 3 hours to save $2,000? We have.
2. Flying to a city near your destination and driving. Same as above.
3. Adjust the dates slightly. Is it worth saving $3,000 on airfare to book a $200 hotel room for one night? It was to us.
4. Ditch the luggage, which often comes with extra costs. Airlines don't charge for a "personal item" which we have found can easily hold four days worth of clothing if packed correctly. Staying at a timeshare, you will have a washer and dryer. Many hotels have laundry rooms. Another benefit is you don't have your luggage lost and can quickly get out of the terminal.

All these require some kind of compromise. You have to decide if the savings are worth the hassle. I wouldn't drive three hours to save $100, but I might do it to save $1,000.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
All these require some kind of compromise.

Which is in short supply all over of late.

Choosing dates, two locations and then shopping for an airplane ticket is like choosing a cooking recipe and then going to the supermarket. "I don't care how much crab costs, I'm making Crab Louis, dammit!" Meanwhile, there's a blow-out sale on diver scallops (for whatever reason) and the shopper could have Coquille St Jacques for considerably less than Crab Louis.

There's opportunity cost for "I want what I want when I want it." If people are OK with that, no worries. But I'll never understand why people who aren't OK with refuse to make any changes to the way they travel.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Consider:
1. Flying from a different city nearby. Would you drive 3 hours to save $2,000? We have.
2. Flying to a city near your destination and driving. Same as above.
3. Adjust the dates slightly. Is it worth saving $3,000 on airfare to book a $200 hotel room for one night? I was to us.
4. Ditch the luggage, which often comes with extra costs. Airlines don't charge for a "personal item" which we have found can easily hold four days worth of clothing if packed correctly. Staying at a timeshare, you will have a washer and dryer. Many hotels have laundry rooms. Another benefit is you don't have your luggage lost and can quickly get out of the terminal.

All these require some kind of compromise. You have to decide if the savings are worth the hassle. I wouldn't drive three hours to save $100, but I might do it to save $1,000.
I go through all the same considerations. If my husband isn't happy about an airport layover, I tell him that "we're earning $400 an hour" or whatever the math works out to be. Layovers, drive time, etc are a lot more bearable if you keep the dollars in mind.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We have a large family, and here are some of the things we have done to save a huge amount on airfare.
We definitely want to stretch our vaca budget. We fly on FF miles and have had to do the same. When flying 6 people home from Paris, we could only get low miles FF tickets from Zurich, so we added a few days in eastern France on the way. We've also flown into a different city and then taken a European domestic flight or train to destination. London vs Paris via Eurostar is another "trick." As long as we get over the pond with a decent inexpensive connection, we'll do it.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of compromises. I'm flying to Europe soon, nonstop in biz using relatively cheap air miles. I booked that ticket 11 months ago when the window opened. On the return, however, I couldn't get a biz seat back to my home city on any nearby date unless I was willing to spend far more air miles. After all, this is high season. So instead, I was able to find a return international flight, biz class using cheap air miles to another city only 3 hours away by air from my home city. So I'll be flying back to that city from overseas. Then only $200 more for the domestic flight back home.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
For me, I plan on spending around $1,000 per ticket - and likely driving ~5hrs to Newark for direct flights and saving a lot on those. The problem I have is I can either be flexible with timeshares or flexible with airfare. Usually the hotel vs timeshare difference when getting 2 rooms overwhelms a couple hundred in flight costs, but certainly not always.

Interestingly enough, I don't think airfare is curtailing trips any more now than going back to at least 2007 (kind of when I started paying attention to / paying for my own trips that included flying really). Flights always were "a lot", and still are "a lot". That said, I think in reality they've come down in price because throughout all the inflation, the priced dollar amount has stayed around the same, with the main difference being losing one carry on bag (I think when I was pretty young all the airfare included 2 checked bags, I now pay extra for one and the pricing seems similar).

And I think that's why the flights are full - real purchasing costs for flights are still near the bottom in history, especially compared to the "golden era of flying" when only "rich" people could afford it.

The thing about flights is I still haven't really found that I'd "lock in" to even United from Newark to make the mileage cards worth it. The deal alert stuff sounds more promising, but I'm still not really comfortable with booking a timeshare and then hoping I find a special flight deal in time. For hotels sure - I can always book a Hilton somewhere, but again, that adds a lot of hassle and cost and loss of a kitchen etc...

Now opinion aside - I think it may just be me not really thinking / trying it - but say I'm planning on flying from Newark to IDK, San Diego (for MarBrisa) next March. What should I set up to look for a deal? If I don't find one, do I just buy the tickets "normally" at ~2 months out like I usually have done? I feel like those "cheap flights" sites never seemed that worth it, but I see people using skyscanner here and I've also seen momondo - do I just set up an ongoing search there?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, I plan on spending around $1,000 per ticket - and likely driving ~5hrs to Newark for direct flights and saving a lot on those. The problem I have is I can either be flexible with timeshares or flexible with airfare. Usually the hotel vs timeshare difference when getting 2 rooms overwhelms a couple hundred in flight costs, but certainly not always.

Interestingly enough, I don't think airfare is curtailing trips any more now than going back to at least 2007 (kind of when I started paying attention to / paying for my own trips that included flying really). Flights always were "a lot", and still are "a lot". That said, I think in reality they've come down in price because throughout all the inflation, the priced dollar amount has stayed around the same, with the main difference being losing one carry on bag (I think when I was pretty young all the airfare included 2 checked bags, I now pay extra for one and the pricing seems similar).

And I think that's why the flights are full - real purchasing costs for flights are still near the bottom in history, especially compared to the "golden era of flying" when only "rich" people could afford it.

The thing about flights is I still haven't really found that I'd "lock in" to even United from Newark to make the mileage cards worth it. The deal alert stuff sounds more promising, but I'm still not really comfortable with booking a timeshare and then hoping I find a special flight deal in time. For hotels sure - I can always book a Hilton somewhere, but again, that adds a lot of hassle and cost and loss of a kitchen etc...

Now opinion aside - I think it may just be me not really thinking / trying it - but say I'm planning on flying from Newark to IDK, San Diego (for MarBrisa) next March. What should I set up to look for a deal? If I don't find one, do I just buy the tickets "normally" at ~2 months out like I usually have done? I feel like those "cheap flights" sites never seemed that worth it, but I see people using skyscanner here and I've also seen momondo - do I just set up an ongoing search there?
I use Google Flights, which lets you track destinations and will send you emails when fares change.

If you are willing to drive 5 hours, I would start by looking for any cities in range with nonstop service to San Diego and see what those flights are looking like.

I would also be willing to fly to the LAX area, which is about a 2.5 hour drive to San Diego. You might find a low fare to Santa Ana, for example.

I'm not saying drive 5 hours to fly to LAX and then drive about 2.5 hours, but perhaps your home airport will have a deal to LAX.

I use the Explore feature of Google Flights to look at an area I want to travel to. Sometimes it will surprise you with a deal.

I don't fly enough to be concerned with airline miles. I'd rather save money now than hope for a free flight later.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
You can set up a fare alert on Kayak. Also, many airlines' "normal" economy rate allow free canx and rebooking for a year after purchasing the ticket. Of course, you'd have to fly that airline to use your voucher. But, it's a nice buffer vs the high change fees airlines used to charge.
A Covid change that has continued: Most FF miles can be redeposited back into FF account for free. So, I can lock in a flight and then if something better comes along, just canx and rebook. That flex makes FF miles "worth" quite a bit more to me.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Now opinion aside - I think it may just be me not really thinking / trying it - but say I'm planning on flying from Newark to IDK, San Diego (for MarBrisa) next March. What should I set up to look for a deal?

The first thing is to widen the airport search -- Newark has loads of nearby alternatives. (Although it's usually the best option.)

I'd include LAX and Burbank on the other end as well. Why? The Pacific Surfliner train from Union Station to San Diego is lovely.

Jet Blue will get you from Newark to LAX for around $150. Flyaway shuttle to Union Station. Train to San Diego. Have a picnic lunch on the train. Or a French Dip at Philippe's Original near Union Station.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I use Google Flights, which lets you track destinations and will send you emails when fares change.

If you are willing to drive 5 hours, I would start by looking for any cities in range with nonstop service to San Diego and see what those flights are looking like.

I would also be willing to fly to the LAX area, which is about a 2.5 hour drive to San Diego. You might find a low fare to Santa Ana, for example.

I'm not saying drive 5 hours to fly to LAX and then drive about 2.5 hours, but perhaps your home airport will have a deal to LAX.

I use the Explore feature of Google Flights to look at an area I want to travel to. Sometimes it will surprise you with a deal.

I don't fly enough to be concerned with airline miles. I'd rather save money now than hope for a free flight later.
The one thing is Newark or Philly are really the only major airports I have family who'll let me stash my car at their house and do the airport pickup / dropoff, and of those Newark always beats Philly IME. Or I could do Syracuse, Binghamton, or Elmira, but those usually are so small regional airports to not be worth it in terms of any savings and there's always a layover.