• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A vacation Comparison between Westin Princeville & Ka'anapali Villas

Nicole D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reserved two weeks in October through II at the Westin Princeville Villas and the Westin Ka'anapali Villas (south). Both rooms were 2 bd l/o units with great views of the ocean. In Princeville, we had a first floor room in Maui, our room was on the 5th floor. Our vacation started on Sunday, May 17 and ends today, May 30, 2009.

Between the two properties, Princeville was better. The kids loved the slide at the pool. I was offered beverages several times while the kids played at the pool. The check-in process was seamless and thorough. We also attended the luau at the resort. The luau was part of the 1yr anniversary celebration of the resort. I would definitely go back.

When we got to our room in Maui, we were invaded by ants galore. We were killing ants the whole week. The fan in the unit was a light dirty. In addition, I was never approached to order any drinks from any of the staff at the keiki pool. Lastly, the towel policy is a joke. If you are friendly with the staff member working the Towel hut, you can get towels whenever you want without presenting a card.

Overall, everything else was great. I would definitely trade back into both.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Thank you for the report. We own at both WPORV and WKORV-N but have not yet made it to Kauai. Flights are tougher in and out of Kauai, we have enjoyed every visit to Maui, and we weren't too sure that we wanted to brave the wetter weather that Princeville seems to have in the early part of the year. We are scheduled to be at WPORV next March/April. We are excited about going.

wannagotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been at both and prefer WKORV.
Beach access is easier-quite a walk down a hill at Princeville and the snorkling isn't as good. There is excellent snorkling at WKORV.

There is a nice walk to Whaler's Village from WKORV and not as much within walking distance from Princeville.

The units at Princeville seemed a bit older. When we were there, cabinet handles were broken and other problems came up.

It rained the whole time we were at Princeville. They said it is the only place where there are permenant covers on the golf carts.

It seemed that all the activities we wanted at Princeville were on the other side of the island where at WKORV they are no further than Lahaina. We were only at Princeville for 5 days and I am sure that others who are more familiar with the area have found great things to do locally.

No complaints, they are both beautiful. Maybe we need to return to both a few more times so that we have more information for comparison.:)

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reserved two weeks in October through II at the Westin Princeville Villas and the Westin Ka'anapali Villas (south). Both rooms were 2 bd l/o units with great views of the ocean. In Princeville, we had a first floor room in Maui, our room was on the 5th floor. Our vacation started on Sunday, May 17 and ends today, May 30, 2009.

Between the two properties, Princeville was better. The kids loved the slide at the pool. I was offered beverages several times while the kids played at the pool. The check-in process was seamless and thorough. We also attended the luau at the resort. The luau was part of the 1yr anniversary celebration of the resort. I would definitely go back.

When we got to our room in Maui, we were invaded by ants galore. We were killing ants the whole week. The fan in the unit was a light dirty. In addition, I was never approached to order any drinks from any of the staff at the keiki pool. Lastly, the towel policy is a joke. If you are friendly with the staff member working the Towel hut, you can get towels whenever you want without presenting a card.

Overall, everything else was great. I would definitely trade back into both.

i am sorry you had trouble in the villa but it was interesting to see you had trouble in Maui, i met a family who owns 4 weeks in Maui and they had traded to Harborside and they were so negative about the harborside units and the pool area. there was inconsistent pool service and they had a room where things did not work.

i would love all the timeshares to have fabulous service and no problems in the villas but that is not reality.

the smart thing to do when meeting owners is to find out where they own and not be very negative if you are at their home resort. negative things can happen at your home resort and an owner does take pride where they chose to own.

mepiccolo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's really hard to compare these two resorts because personal preference plays such a big part. We own at WKORV and toured Princeville. We personally did not like how the Princeville resort was not convenient to the beach as WKORV is - that is the MAIN thing we like about WKORV (and the snorkeling right in front of the resort is the best), and obviously the original poster, who doesn't even mention the beach, had priorities that were different from ours. We also thought the Princeville resort lacked the "wow" factor when you walk into the resort that WKORV has when you walk into the lobby and look out at the pool and ocean. The units were nice at Princeville, but again, we preferred WKORV, which seemed larger to us and you can't beat the oceanfront view from WKORV, whereas Princeville has few ocean front views which are actually on a cliff looking out to the sea. Also, when I'm laying out I don't like being bothered with drink offers. Princeville did seem a little more quiet and "upscale" than WKORV but we thought that WKORV packed in more fun and at the end of the day that is more the kind of vacationers we are as opposed to wanting to be pampered. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The units at Princeville seemed a bit older. When we were there, cabinet handles were broken and other problems came up.

Wow - and WPORV is only a year old. When I was there in September, the unit itself looked great (I also had other problems, which I've posted in the past). Others have mentioned previously about cheap(er) materials being used and worry about them showing their age sooner rather than normal, and I wonder if this explains some of the perception here.

Nicole D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarifying the Comparison

I guess I should clarify. I guess I just felt that service was better at the Princeville resort. I checked-in in the evening at both resorts. I was the only guest needing assistance and I just felt more welcomed at the Princeville resort. Beyond the regular check in procedures, she asked me if I had my laptop with me and I indicated yes. She instructed me on how to login to the internet. I'm proficient on the computer and would have figured it out. But she asked. She even asked if I was celebrating a special event while there. I wasn't. Our conversation ended with her addressing me by my last name. WOW!

Check in at the Maui resort, there was no extra personal touch. I walked away thinking, she didn't ask me if I was celebrating a special occasion and I was. My husband's birthday was on Memorial Day! I don't know why they ask at Princeville, but they do. I was never addressed by my last name. One day the Internet was down and I called to find out when it would be up again. No big deal, but usually the switchboard will answer something like how can I help you, Mrs. such and such.

While I don't need to be asked if I want to buy a drink, I just felt at least ask me one time. I was at the kid pool all day, no all week and there was no way I would be able to pull a 4 year-old and a 2 year old out of the pool, while carrying a 5-month old on my hip, and our belongings in my other hand. But then again, I probably shouldn't have a drink around the kiddie pool anyway. The ice water in the orange cooler was plenty refreshing. I know I was not singled out, other parents at the kiddie pool felt the same way. At least when I posed the question.

So I wonder if it's a case of higher priced units have better guest service skilled workers. What do you think?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Because the Princeville resort is quite a bit more isolated than the Maui resort, I think they tried to make it more of a "destination resort." Maybe that's it? On Maui you have Lahaina and the main part of Ka'anapali Beach right there, and I don't think they expect people to spend as much time at the resort.

I don't think it's price, because WKORV-N sold for about $7K more than Princeville when they were both in active sales.

Last edited: