• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2023 Best Hawaiian Timeshare Brand

What Is The Best Timeshare Brand in Hawaii Poll?

• Total voters

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I choose HGVC, why, because I just want to get to Hawaii at the lowest cost possible, and the flexibility for booking stays. Views and other factors aren't as important to me as long I get to spend time in Paradise.

I consider HGVC as nice as Marriotts and Westins, even though I will give the edge to MVC/Vistana. I subscribe to the theory of good enough, and Hilton's are certainly good enough luxury for my family and I.

Those are my thoughts.

Great3

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I choose HGVC, why, because I just want to get to Hawaii at the lowest cost possible, and the flexibility for booking stays. Views and other factors aren't as important to me as long I get to spend time in Paradise.

I consider HGVC as nice as Marriotts and Westins, even though I will give the edge to MVC/Vistana. I subscribe to the theory of good enough, and Hilton's are certainly good enough luxury for my family and I.

Those are my thoughts.

Great3
I have never considered Hilton because I am kind of miffed that they charge $25 per day just to exchange into a Hilton Orlando resort through RCI. I am paying my trading power + $300 exchange fee through RCI + $25 per day. I cannot afford to stay at Hilton with the extra fees for absolutely no perks. Give me transportation to Disney World or Universal, and I am going to consider a stay at a Hilton in Orlando, but until then, I am not ever visiting a Hilton resort in my future.

I am talking Orlando here, and Hilton was my favorite in Orlando (next to Disney), but that love of Hilton dwindled as soon as they started charging those fees. Total turnoff for me.

But the Big Island, I will stay at any Hilton over Wyndham/ Shell resorts (all of which are just average). I love the BI Hilton resorts and don't mind the daily fee + TAT. As long as they keep that daily fee at the current amount, I am okay with it. Kihei is not the area I enjoy for Maui. If I could exchange into the Maui Hilton at some point, I would do it.

I have never been impressed with Diamond properties. The takeover of Diamond by Hilton would not impress me in a timeshare presentation, having stayed in several Diamond resorts over the years. I have never been to a Hilton presentation, but I have been to Diamond, and it was the pushiest I have ever been to, and that is saying a lot. It was Ka'anpali Beach. Total waste of my life, but it was 15 years ago, maybe more.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club

Those are my thoughts.

Great3
Before we purchased resell we stayed at Hilton, Westin and Marriott. (Already owned KBC Diamond weeks). The Westin and Marriott were nicer but for us the Hilton was a better value so we went with Hilton also.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never considered Hilton because I am kind of miffed that they charge $25 per day just to exchange into a Hilton Orlando resort through RCI. I am paying my trading power + $300 exchange fee through RCI + $25 per day. I cannot afford to stay at Hilton with the extra fees for absolutely no perks. Give me transportation to Disney World or Universal, and I am going to consider a stay at a Hilton in Orlando, but until then, I am not ever visiting a Hilton resort in my future.

I am talking Orlando here, and Hilton was my favorite in Orlando (next to Disney), but that love of Hilton dwindled as soon as they started charging those fees. Total turnoff for me.

But the Big Island, I will stay at any Hilton over Wyndham/ Shell resorts (all of which are just average). I love the BI Hilton resorts and don't mind the daily fee + TAT. As long as they keep that daily fee at the current amount, I am okay with it. Kihei is not the area I enjoy for Maui. If I could exchange into the Maui Hilton at some point, I would do it.

I have never been impressed with Diamond properties. The takeover of Diamond by Hilton would not impress me in a timeshare presentation, having stayed in several Diamond resorts over the years. I have never been to a Hilton presentation, but I have been to Diamond, and it was the pushiest I have ever been to, and that is saying a lot. It was Ka'anpali Beach. Total waste of my life, but it was 15 years ago, maybe more.

Ok, I agree, I would hate exchanging in with RCI. I used to exchange into HGVC in RCI, but with the daily resort fees, I no longer do so, especially in Orlando when you have so many options. Definitely not in Vegas either. So, I can understand the bad taste in your mouth.

Like you, I will still exchange into HGVC Kings Land and pay the $25 daily resort fee on the Big Island. Even then, I prefer to exchange into Bay Club without the daily resort fee that is also HGVC Managed. But as an owner, when you book using owner points, there are no resort fees, even if I own HGVC in Vegas.

As for the Diamond system, thankfully it's a different system, and although there is crossover booking to HGVC, it's not fully merged and HGVC owners still pretty much still get what they brought and have booking advantages in HGVC as an HGVC owner.

So, owners do get treated differently than exchangers.

Great3

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We like WM & VI for Hawaii. The VI in Kona is right on the lava rock overlooking the Ocean. I could see the yellow tang swimming in the rocks and dolphins in the Ocean from our deck. It's old but very close to the water. We did like the Valley Isle in West Maui that both VI and WM had inventory. It's old but very close to the water. Then there is Schooners Landing in Kihei which is on the park that is on the water. We enjoyed sunsets from the edge of the park. VI recently purchased inventory in the Kauhale Makia which is next to the Schooner Landing in Kihei. They share the same grassy park in front of the Ocean. None of these resorts are opulent. I'm thinking a one bed unit costs about $130 a night and includes free parking.

Bill

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Ridiculous.

It's like asking "what is the best car?"

A Bugatti Chiron is the fastest. But it isn't comfortable and only travels 12 total minutes at top speed before running out of gas. (I'm too tall to even manipulate the pedals. It's a car designed for really short people.)

A Rolls Royce is the most comfortable. But it breaks down constantly after its eighth birthday and gets 2 gallons to the mile.

The Toyota Prius gets a reliable 50mpg. But good luck fitting in one if you're any taller than "munchkin." It's like the Bugatti, without the speed.

The best timeshare in Hawaii? The Hyatt Pinon Pointe in Sedona Arizona.

I can get every single Hawaii resort mentioned so far and pay considerably less than any Hawaii owner doing so. Best of all worlds. Least expensive and most flexible. And it doesn't matter which brand I want. I can get 'em all.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
"Best" means different things to different people. If money is no object, I would choose the Hyatt - I believe the one on Ka'anapali Beach is the only one in Hawaii. We stayed there is May, and it's gorgeous. However, I will never own there, because it's more than I want to spend.

If it's "Best to Own," then I would choose Vistana/Westin/Sheraton, including the 2 that I own at Sheraton Desert Oasis, AZ, which I used in May to exchange into Nanea, and WKORV-N, (throught Interval) at a fraction of the cost of owning there.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favourite is Marriott even though I consider the resorts to be a tier lower than Westin. My reasoning is I trade into Hawaii regularly using II, and Marriott honours exchanged unit views along with allowing owners to deposit specific weeks.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Independents. Mostly because I like smaller resorts.
I agree, I like the smaller resorts...Hanalei bay, The cliffs ( Also Shearwater, shell, POP) on Kauai, Maui Schooner , Sands of Kahana on Maui. I don't care for the big resorts .

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We only own Shell so that is our favorite. We did rent a discounted II on Maui once, and it was far inferior to any Shell. None are on swimming beaches, true, but good. Paniolo Greens, though above the South Kohala Coast is a bargain for families. We will probably never stay in any others, since we are paying for Shell.

swiftyman

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what timeshare system has the most options across all the islands? Need a system with a kitchen, and the option to book at least 2 bedrooms (3 would be a plus).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think there is a timeshare system with resorts on all of the islands.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I have stayed at WKORV and Westin Princeville, and driven out to Ko Olina to see Marriott and DVC, but haven't stayed there.

My favorite is HGVC, which is why we bought there. Our favorite island is O'ahu and HGVC has many locations on Waikiki. They're very nice and the Lagoon rooms are spacious and convenient, right on the ocean. I think the value is very good. In contrast we think Kauai is kind of boring, and the BI too spread out. Maui is beautiful but overrun with tourists whereas O'ahu is mostly locals especially away from Waikiki. The food on O'ahu is some of the best in America.

I like the flexibility of the HGVC system and the fact that resale owners have full access to the program. It also complements our other favorite vacation location in the US, which is NYC. I don't think the others on your list have units in Manhattan.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm just wondering what timeshare system has the most options across all the islands? Need a system with a kitchen, and the option to book at least 2 bedrooms (3 would be a plus).
We trade through RCI. They do have options on all of the islands. Not a timeshare system like Hilton, Marriott, etc., but they do offer you options. We own a three bedroom timeshare on Maui, Maui Lea at Maui Hill. They are not affiliated with any of the systems.

hapstersmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin. Newer properties with nice locations and decent to good ammenities. However, I would not buy in HI with them. I live in HI. MFs are high and am guessing that the fallout of the Maui fires will impact properities in variety of ways once the lawsuits shake out (which will take a few years.) Also the loss of Lahaina proper impacts what is available in the area, and the fact that many people who worked in the Kaanapali Lahaina area are now homeless due to the fire may leave residents with no choice than to relocate. This will cut into the labor force and services for the MFs spent. That's my mileage, yours may vary.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott has resorts in Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Big island.
That's only half of the eight main Hawaiian islands. Granted, Kaho'olawe (unpopulated) and Ni'ihau (privately owned) don't have timeshares or hotels of any kind, but that still leaves Moloka'i and Lana'i. I don't think any of the major timeshare brands have locations on those islands.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's only half of the eight main Hawaiian islands. Granted, Kaho'olawe (unpopulated) and Ni'ihau (privately owned) don't have timeshares or hotels of any kind, but that still leaves Moloka'i and Lana'i. I don't think any of the major timeshare brands have locations on those islands.
I don't think there are any timeshare properties on Lana'i. There is only one (that I am aware of) on Moloka'i.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don't think there are any timeshare properties on Lana'i. There is only one (that I am aware of) on Moloka'i.

Yes, only Ke Nani Kai on Molokai and none on Lanai. For practical purposes, when people are talking about traveling to Hawaii, the four main islands are what they are referring to.