• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2022 ] Club Wyndham vs Hilton Grand Vacation Club vs Marriott Vacation Club (CW vs HGVC vs MVC)

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
I tried searching a lot on TUG and the net in general but could not find good and up to date info contrasting Club Wyndham, Hilton Grand Vacation and Marriott Vacation Club that might help someone decide which one to to chose between the three major timeshare brands (tempted to throw in Bluegreens as well but let's keep it out for now :)) . So i decided to create this thread. Hopefully it is helpful for others like me who are pondering about the same. I am including the relevant links I found on this so that other can also benefit from that by finding it in one place and also posting additional questions to clarify missing pieces. Would be good if folks can contribute other relevant questions as well that aspiring owners should seek answers to. Request existing owners to reply based on their experiences. If this has been discussed elsewhere already, kindly point to that

I did find this very helpful link - https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html. However, it may not be up to date as it does not seem to reflect HGVC's acquisition of Diamond, as reflected in the low number of resorts showed for Hilton. So it also makes me wonder if the average MF and points required posted there are accurate or from an earlier year.
[Just for completeness, links to annual fee comparisons across different properties within a particular TS club are posted in the pinned threads in each of the club's discussion forum]

Can people kindly opine about the pros and cons between the three TS from their experience? I am thinking about a use case of about 2 weeks worth of annual travel for a couple, 1 bedroom suite, wanting to travel to different places all over US (rather than just a fixed set of resorts) and perhaps abroad.
- Is there a significant difference in resort quality and overall experience, particularly betwen Wyndham and HGVC, to make HGVC worthwhile (assuming it is somewhat higher cost)? I hear Marriott is quite better and perhaps also quite more expensive (is it true?)
- What are the total number of HGVC resorts now (after Diamond takeover, is it 64+93?) and are Diamond resorts also comparable in quality to Hilton or at least no worse than Wyndham ones?
- I think for Wyndham perhaps this would require average 225,000-250,000 annual points What is the equivalent number of points required for Marriott and Hilton?
- Total annual fee (including all kinds of recurring annual fee due on a contract by virtue of mere ownership, leaving aside one time purchase fee and any usage related fee) for Wyndham would be abt $1400-$1900 for this. What would it be for MVC and HGVC?
- Any significant differences in usage fee for typical usage? I see HGVC has a lot of different types of fee, at least at purchase/enrollment, and overall its fee structure is complex. Not sure if it has more hidden use costs.
- Comparison of benefits and access via the respective exchange (RCI for Wyndham, Interval International for Marriott, RCI for Hilton)? I see RCI has perhaps 2x the number of resorts than II but I hear II ones are much better. True? What abt ease of availability? Does one have more resorts in Europe and Asia (US and Americas are covered well by the main TS programs themselves)? One thing i notice is that through Hilton, one can use RCI for nightly stays (perhaps with some minimum nights) but with Wyndham, it is only weeks - that seems like an important difference?
- What are the other factors to consider?

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I tried searching a lot on TUG and the net in general but could not find good and up to date info contrasting Club Wyndham, Hilton Grand Vacation and Marriott Vacation Club that might help someone decide which one to to chose between the three major timeshare brands (tempted to throw in Bluegreens as well but let's keep it out for now :)) . So i decided to create this thread. Hopefully it is helpful for others like me who are pondering about the same. I am including the relevant links I found on this so that other can also benefit from that by finding it in one place and also posting additional questions to clarify missing pieces. Would be good if folks can contribute other relevant questions as well that aspiring owners should seek answers to. Request existing owners to reply based on their experiences. If this has been discussed elsewhere already, kindly point to that

I did find this very helpful link - https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html. However, it may not be up to date as it does not seem to reflect HGVC's acquisition of Diamond, as reflected in the low number of resorts showed for Hilton. So it also makes me wonder if the average MF and points required posted there are accurate or from an earlier year.
[Just for completeness, links to annual fee comparisons across different properties within a particular TS club are posted in the pinned threads in each of the club's discussion forum]

Can people kindly opine about the pros and cons between the three TS from their experience? I am thinking about a use case of about 2 weeks worth of annual travel for a couple, 1 bedroom suite, wanting to travel to different places all over US (rather than just a fixed set of resorts) and perhaps abroad.
- Is there a significant difference in resort quality and overall experience, particularly betwen Wyndham and HGVC, to make HGVC worthwhile (assuming it is somewhat higher cost)? I hear Marriott is quite better and perhaps also quite more expensive (is it true?)
- What are the total number of HGVC resorts now (after Diamond takeover, is it 64+93?) and are Diamond resorts also comparable in quality to Hilton or at least no worse than Wyndham ones?
- I think for Wyndham perhaps this would require average 225,000-250,000 annual points What is the equivalent number of points required for Marriott and Hilton?
- Total annual fee (including all kinds of recurring annual fee due on a contract by virtue of mere ownership, leaving aside one time purchase fee and any usage related fee) for Wyndham would be abt $1400-$1900 for this. What would it be for MVC and HGVC?
- Any significant differences in usage fee for typical usage? I see HGVC has a lot of different types of fee, at least at purchase/enrollment, and overall its fee structure is complex. Not sure if it has more hidden use costs.
- Comparison of benefits and access via the respective exchange (RCI for Wyndham, Interval International for Marriott, RCI for Hilton)? I see RCI has perhaps 2x the number of resorts than II but I hear II ones are much better. True? What abt ease of availability? Does one have more resorts in Europe and Asia (US and Americas are covered well by the main TS programs themselves)? One thing i notice is that through Hilton, one can use RCI for nightly stays (perhaps with some minimum nights) but with Wyndham, it is only weeks - that seems like an important difference?

Pretty complex set of questions!! You may want to do some comparison shopping -- rent a week or two at the contenders' resorts over the next year or two and make your own judgment about quality.

Here are my takes on questions that I think I have some basis for responding:

- Is there a significant difference in resort quality and overall experience, particularly betwen [sic] Wyndham and HGVC, to make HGVC worthwhile (assuming it is somewhat higher cost)? I hear Marriott is quite better and perhaps also quite more expensive (is it true?) You get what you pay for. Quality-wise, I think most would rank Marriott, HGVC, and Wyndham, in decreasing order. The real question is how important is the difference in quality. In my opinion, one can have superb vacations in any of the three. A complication is Hilton's acquisition of Diamond Resorts International (DRI). Some Diamond resorts can readily be re-branded to Hilton. Some will never be brought up to Hilton standards, other than that the towels say Hilton.

- I think for Wyndham perhaps this would require average 225,000-250,000 annual points What is the equivalent number of points required for Marriott and Hilton? I think the magic number of Wyndham points is 308,000 ± a little bit. No opinion on HGVC or Marriott.

- Total annual fee (including all kinds of recurring annual fee due on a contract by virtue of mere ownership, leaving aside one time purchase fee and any usage related fee) for Wyndham would be abt $1400-$1900 for this. What would it be for MVC and HGVC? Wyndham's annual maintenance fees on 308,000 would be somewhere between about $1,500 and $2,100 (~ $5 to $7 per thousand). There are a few higher and a few lower. Acquiring a contract with maintenance fees less than $5/1,000 points will cost more money. (Acquisition cost is a one-time thing. Maintenance fees are forever. It's your call.) No experience with Marriott or HGVC.

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
Thanks. Helps to know for CW one needs abt 300k points for abt 2 weeks of vacation in a 1 bedroom suite. Also helps to know that Wyndham is good in general (as has been my experience), just that HGVC and MVC are even better.

Can others post abt the rough number of points required for HGVC and MVC and associated annual recurring fee, and other questions in the OP?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Pretty complex set of questions!! You may want to do some comparison shopping -- rent a week or two at the contenders' resorts over the next year or two and make your own judgment about quality.

Here are my takes on questions that I think I have some basis for responding:

- Is there a significant difference in resort quality and overall experience, particularly betwen [sic] Wyndham and HGVC, to make HGVC worthwhile (assuming it is somewhat higher cost)? I hear Marriott is quite better and perhaps also quite more expensive (is it true?) You get what you pay for. Quality-wise, I think most would rank Marriott, HGVC, and Wyndham, in decreasing order. The real question is how important is the difference in quality. In my opinion, one can have superb vacations in any of the three. A complication is Hilton's acquisition of Diamond Resorts International (DRI). Some Diamond resorts can readily be re-branded to Hilton. Some will never be brought up to Hilton standards, other than that the towels say Hilton.

Respectfully disagree on the order: Many would rank Marriott and HGVC equal (some resorts more luxurious some not depends on location but overall 4 - 4.5 stars). Wyndham, Worldmark lower.

Ritz >The Westins > Marriott> Sheratons.

Hilton Club > HGVC = Diamond Embarc > HVC (former Diamond DRI). Former Diamond would likely be 3 - 3.5 now. The prior owners let some DRI properties age. HGV corporate is bringing many up to Hilton Standards but may not be as nice as HGVC. Time will tell. Suggest if you are interested in HGV, buy a resale HGVC deed and don't bother with HVC/Diamond points.

I agree with prior poster comments that renting to check out your desired locations and brands is important so you can compare the quality and location. YMMV.

Congrats on doing your homework! Stick around TUG and we can help you find the best property for your needs.

Last edited:

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
One can rent out a couple of times but then every resort differs from another (and I do not have a fixed set of resorts where I will be vacationing most of the time). I think I have noticed that with CW different resorts can have different ratings (perhaps more than just marginally different). I have been to the Ocean 22 resort with HGVC at Myrtle Beach (not stayed there but been there for a presentation) and yes the very look of it gave a different, upper end luxurious feeling. However, I do not know if that single sample is representative of all HGVC resorts (from what i read, it felt like that one is somewhat more special, so others may not be like that). Another problem with HGVC is that now they have Diamond resorts as well and do not know how they compare to HGVC (does anyone know how many under Hilton directly and how many through Diamond. That way we can compare with CW and MVC, hoping at least Hilton ones are up to the mark). Thus, I do not think renting out a couple would do good in forming an overall judgement (besides would take 2 years or so), and would rather go by the experiences of other experienced members to get an overall "high level" sense if one of the clubs is definitely better than the other one.

And once that is known, then the question becomes what does it take to own it? MVC is quite good from what I hear and responses so far here, but the table in the link provided in OP shows the recurring cost of owning it is abt 1.7x-2x compared to CW and HGVC, and HGVC costs less than CW. Not sure if either is really true. If it is true, then the decision is really simple :p. So want to hear abt the points required and total annual fee for the three TS for the use case described in OP, and other important considerations based on users' experiences

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Suggest that answer the following questions and post to the New To Timesharing Forum instead of Club Wyndham so you can get responses from all three system owners. Good luck!

Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

Suggestion - copy the questions below, and start a new thread entitled "My Survey" or "What should I buy?," or something similar, and answer the questions in a NEW thread.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
BTW...If you buy an HGVC resale deed you won't have access to the lower quality Diamond resorts unless you buy a developer deed. You can book short stays within the HGVC system because points are tied to each deed.

Similarly if you buy a Marriott deed resale you cannot trade points unless you pay a hefty fee to the developer. The only way to trade is via II for a week only vacation.

Narrow down on your needs and location preferences so you can consider the best system then go to the forums to read the stickies about program nuance.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'd say HGVC and M quality (amenities, interiors, beds, and overall look/ambience) are equivalent. HGVC demographics (at least in Orlando) seemed a bit more diverse and skewed younger than M. We'd stay in either as our 1st choice. Wyndham seems a step down--although we really liked Bonnet Creek for amenities and would happily stay there again.
As HGVC owner, don't understand why anyone wants access to low tier units by joining MAX? I'd just exchange via RCI for that, or pay cash.

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
What is MAX?

Being a HGVC owner, perhaps you could say how many HGVC resorts does Hilton have now and how many acquired through Diamond?
Do you have a rough idea abt the HGVC points and total annual fee required for abt 2 weeks of annual vacation in a 1 bedroom suite (CW would be 300k points and $1700-$2200)? And the same for MVC?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
QUOTE="yoprabhat1, post: 2798184, member: 134805"]
One can rent out a couple of times but then every resort differs from another (and I do not have a fixed set of resorts where I will be vacationing most of the time). I think I have noticed that with CW different resorts can have different ratings (perhaps more than just marginally different). I have been to the Ocean 22 resort with HGVC at Myrtle Beach (not stayed there but been there for a presentation) and yes the very look of it gave a different, upper end luxurious feeling. However, I do not know if that single sample is representative of all HGVC resorts (from what i read, it felt like that one is somewhat more special, so others may not be like that). Another problem with HGVC is that now they have Diamond resorts as well and do not know how they compare to HGVC (does anyone know how many under Hilton directly and how many through Diamond. That way we can compare with CW and MVC, hoping at least Hilton ones are up to the mark). Thus, I do not think renting out a couple would do good in forming an overall judgement (besides would take 2 years or so), and would rather go by the experiences of other experienced members to get an overall "high level" sense if one of the clubs is definitely better than the other one.

And once that is known, then the question becomes what does it take to own it? MVC is quite good from what I hear and responses so far here, but the table in the link provided in OP shows the recurring cost of owning it is abt 1.7x-2x compared to CW and HGVC, and HGVC costs less than CW. Not sure if either is really true. If it is true, then the decision is really simple :p. So want to hear abt the points required and total annual fee for the three TS for the use case described in OP, and other important considerations based on users' experiences
[/QUOTE]

That's why it is difficult for someone else to answer the questions for you. These are subjective values.

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
BTW...If you buy an HGVC resale deed you won't have access to the lower quality Diamond resorts unless you buy a developer deed. You can book short stays within the HGVC system because points are tied to each deed.

Similarly if you buy a Marriott deed resale you cannot trade points unless you pay a hefty fee to the developer. The only way to trade is via II for a week only vacation.

Narrow down on your needs and location preferences so you can consider the best system then go to the forums to read the stickies about program nuance.

Did not understand your comment. One does not have access to Diamond resort inventory if one buys HGVC resale, even though Diamond is lower in quality? So one is only restricted to HGVC contracts alone? That is good to know since I believe HGVC resorts are somewhat fewer than CW and MVC. I believe with CW resale you can book all of their 80+ resorts, but not WorldMark but that is because perhaps that is a step up, not down. So this sounds a little weird/disappointing.
And I believe in all the 3 TS programs, you can book 3 nights and higher stays by using as many points. Is there anything special with HGVC (or CW and MVC being restrictive in a way HGVC is not)?

What do you mean by trading points in a Marriott deed? The only way I am aware of trading points is through the exchange - RCI or II, which you say MVC also allows.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
re: HGVC It depends on location, season and type of unit. Most recommend a minimum 2 bdrm platinum unit = 11,200 points. MF will run about $950 Las Vegas, Scotland to about $1800. If you want to regularly visit South Carolina and Gulf/South Florida locations suggest you purchase there. Otherwise you can trade.

You can check HGVC points values for 1 bedroom in your desired location attached

re: MVC if you buy a 2 bdrm week deed resale in certain locations you can lock off (divide) those units to get 2 weeks (usually 1 bdrm and a studio)

Attachments

• HGV Max Points and Open Season Booklet_WEB.pdf
    543.6 KB · Views: 71

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@yoprabhat1 Check out the list of HGVC resorts here. If those don't fit your travel needs then perhaps it is not the right fit for you. You can also trade for Diamond resorts via RCI if you don't buy MAX from the developer.

(ignore resorts labeled Hllton Vacation Club (HVC) because those are Diamond)

Each system has pros and cons. MVC has more resorts but more expensive and must trade week for week in II. i.e. no long weekends.

Wyndham and Worldmark have many more locations in the USA. Tradeoffs.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
What is MAX?

Being a HGVC owner, perhaps you could say how many HGVC resorts does Hilton have now and how many acquired through Diamond?
Do you have a rough idea abt the HGVC points and total annual fee required for abt 2 weeks of annual vacation in a 1 bedroom suite (CW would be 300k points and $1700-$2200)? And the same for MVC?

If you purchase HGVC resale, you will not have access to the former DRI resorts. HGV Max is the membership that allows cross booking between HGVC and HVC resorts (formerly DRI). As of right now, you can only join by purchasing a retail deed through HGVC. The HGV Max bookings are only available at 6 months. Many of the more popular HVC/DRI resorts will not be available at that time.

I have 22400 points (all resale) through 2 platinum 2 bedroom deeds (The Flamingo and The Boulevard). This year my MF’s we’re $1087 and $944 respectively. I also paid $193 in club dues. That would get you close to 3 weeks in a platinum 1 bedroom (standard points). There are resorts that cost more points, but that why I suggest buying just more than you you need. You would need 15360 points for 2 weeks in a standard 1 bedroom platinum. If you stay in the gold weeks or limit yourself to weekdays, your points will go even further. Last year I had 1 week in a 2 bedroom in Hilton Head, 5 nights in a 3 bedroom in Vegas at Elara (M-Sat) and 3 nights in Chicago (M-Th) all with my 22400 points. I even had 40 points leftover! All but the Vegas trip were in the platinum season.

Tahiya

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own WorldMark and some Independents that trade well. We have traded extensively, including to multiple Hiltons and to a couple of highly rated Marriott Resorts. We used to own Wyndham points but gave those back because our small ownership didn't yield good value. I agree with commenters who say that the Hilton's seem to be as good as the Marriotts.

I have long considered buying Marriott because it is harder to trade into than some other resorts if you don't own Marriott, but as exchangers we were given units overlooking the parking lot or another building. I knew someone who had a 2 bedroom Oceanfront at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, and when they traded through Interval they also got units with disappointing views. They sold their unit back to Marriott because of that. Since view is very important to us, that, along with the high maintenance fees, has discouraged me from buying Marriott.

I don't understand why developers would design resorts where some people get terrible views. By contrast with Marriott, when exchanging into Hiltons we have always gotten the building we requested, and a decent view.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott would have the highest quality but it is also very expensive to purchase. If you are looking at internal booking system, then we are looking at MVC DC points. You would need about 6K to 7K points to book 2 weeks of 1BR, and the point values vary greatly by resort and time of year. Assuming you buy 6K points in the resale market, and you pay $3.5 per point plus $3 per point of junk fees + $300 education fees, you are looking at about $40K to just buy in. For a new timeshare owner, I would strongly advise against spending so much. You can also buy a resale 2BR Marriott week at a location where there are lockoff units and you can make 2 weeks of deposit by locking off the week, into Interval International and trade into other resorts, including Marriott and other brands. If you buy something like Marriott's Grande Vista or Grand Chateau, you are spending only about $3K upfront. If it were me, I would go the latter route. Having said that, I own Marriott DC points and weeks as well as Vistana (Westin/Sheraton) weeks but I knew what we wanted and it was the right decision for us. I have owned timeshare since 1996 and my Marriott purchases were done after 2013.

Last edited:

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
.......... I knew someone who had a 2 bedroom Oceanfront at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, and when they traded through Interval they also got units with disappointing views. They sold their unit back to Marriott because of that......

Did not understand the above comment. If the folks already owned with MVC, why would they need to exchange through II to get another Marriott property? As MVC owners, they can use their points to book any other MVC property and probably would have priority over II requests.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

Club Wyndham > HVC/DRI

I just checked out of the Sedona Summit one week ago, a (supposedly) renovated Diamond property, with the new Hilton Vacation Club branding. The lobby and presentation area looked modernized from prior Diamond stays, and the staff was very friendly. The resort itself was a bit of a disappointment:

1. Not all the burners on the stove worked.
2. No cleaning supplies for the dishes (ie dish soap or scrubby)
3. No wine glasses or corkscrew. This is wine country!
4. The couch was past its prime
5. Carpet starting to unravel near the tile.
6. Faucets that leaked out of the handles.
7. Water damage to one wall.
8. Some lights in the bathroom abandoned, plates put over where either switches or outlets had once been.
9. Chipped stucco damage to exterior, pretty common.
10. Parking was limited due to the proximity of buildings to each other. One guest was allowed to take up several spaces with their truck, trailer, and motorcycles (which you would think should go back into the trailer).

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
Marriott would have the highest quality but it is also very expensive to purchase. If you are looking at internal booking system, then we are looking at MVC DC points. You would need about 6K to 7K points to book 2 weeks of 1BR, and the point values vary greatly by resort and time of year. Assuming you buy 6K points in the resale market, and you pay $3.5 per point plus $3 per point of junk fees + $300 education fees, you are looking at about $40K to just buy in. For a new timeshare owner, I would strongly advise against spending so much. You can also buy a resale 2BR Marriott week at a location where there are lockoff units and you can make 2 weeks of deposit by locking off the week, into Interval International and trade into other resorts, including Marriott and other brands. If you buy something like Marriott's Grande Vista or Grand Chateau, you are spending only about $3K upfront. If it were me, I would go the latter route. Having said that, I own Marriott DC points and weeks as well as Vistana (Westin/Sheraton) weeks but I knew what we wanted and it was the right decision for us. I have owned timeshare since 1996 and my Marriott purchases were done after 2013.
$40k to buy 6k points? Wow!! Did not have the slightest idea!!

If one buys the 2BR with lockoff unit at Grande Vista, what is the rough total annual fee? I assume if you have to rely on going through an exchange to trade off your lock-off units separately for 2 weeks of 1BR units at other resorts, then you would be highly limited by the inventory of other resorts available on the exchange. This would not be the same as booking any MVC property whenever you want by using your points. Also, I believe, one loses the felixibility to book anything less than a week. Is this right? Then it seems this way is very restrictive, and buying points highly costly. That pretty much settles the question of even considering MVC in that case

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
If you purchase HGVC resale, you will not have access to the former DRI resorts. HGV Max is the membership that allows cross booking between HGVC and HVC resorts (formerly DRI). As of right now, you can only join by purchasing a retail deed through HGVC. The HGV Max bookings are only available at 6 months. Many of the more popular HVC/DRI resorts will not be available at that time.

I have 22400 points (all resale) through 2 platinum 2 bedroom deeds (The Flamingo and The Boulevard). This year my MF’s we’re $1087 and $944 respectively. I also paid $193 in club dues. That would get you close to 3 weeks in a platinum 1 bedroom (standard points). There are resorts that cost more points, but that why I suggest buying just more than you you need. You would need 15360 points for 2 weeks in a standard 1 bedroom platinum. If you stay in the gold weeks or limit yourself to weekdays, your points will go even further. Last year I had 1 week in a 2 bedroom in Hilton Head, 5 nights in a 3 bedroom in Vegas at Elara (M-Sat) and 3 nights in Chicago (M-Th) all with my 22400 points. I even had 40 points leftover! All but the Vegas trip were in the platinum season.
Thanks for the very informative reply. I assume, just like CW one can mix and match points from any number of deeds and use them together. Does it matter whether you get points through bronze/silver/gold/platinum, 1BR/2BR/3BR and which property? At the end does it simply boil down to how many points does each deed get you? HGVC and MVC deed and point system are more complex than CW. CW is very straight forward with no complications arising from seasons attached to a deed/contract; they all just convert to a set number of points.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
$40k to buy 6k points? Wow!! Did not have the slightest idea!!

If one buys the 2BR with lockoff unit at Grande Vista, what is the rough total annual fee? I assume if you have to rely on going through an exchange to trade off your lock-off units separately for 2 weeks of 1BR units at other resorts, then you would be highly limited by the inventory of other resorts available on the exchange. This would not be the same as booking any MVC property whenever you want by using your points. Also, I believe, one loses the felixibility to book anything less than a week. Is this right? Then it seems this way is very restrictive, and buying points highly costly. That pretty much settles the question of even considering MVC in that case
Annual maintenance fees of Grande Vista is just under $1,500. Most of the Grande Vista deeds come with Florida Club where you can book at another Florida resort at 6 months out. But other than that, you can only use Interval International to trade into other weeks. You cannot use the Marriott internal booking system where you can book 1+ nights. Only Marriott Destination Club points can do so.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

I wouldn't do MVC over the maintenance fees alone. I don't see the point if you're close to breaking even over renting similar resorts. We've purchased both HGVC and Club Wyndham within the last 6 months, due to the savings both offer. Three nights on 4th of July weekend in Vegas, I cancelled an $800 booking with Virgin, and switched to a studio with HGV for $330. We purchased Club Wyndham Sedona specifically for that resort, and will be paying $107 weeknights for a 1,000 sq ft deluxe 1-bedroom, where motels start at $200 + tax per night.

Overall, I like HGVC better. For roughly the same amount of money, you get nicer resorts, and access to places like Japan and Scotland. Wyndham has more resorts, and is more flexible with weeknight rates, Sunday - Thursday nights. When booking early at your home resort, you can do partial stays with Wyndham, where Hilton makes you book an entire week. Hilton charges a club fee, Wyndham does not.

yoprabhat1

Reaction score
Overall, I like HGVC better. For roughly the same amount of money, you get nicer resorts, and access to places like Japan and Scotland. Wyndham has more resorts, and is more flexible with weeknight rates, Sunday - Thursday nights. When booking early at your home resort, you can do partial stays with Wyndham, where Hilton makes you book an entire week. Hilton charges a club fee, Wyndham does not.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you also say that abt 15000 points with HGVC should suffice to get abt 2 weeks of vacation for a 1BR on avg. Do you have a rough idea how much total annual fee (including all kinds of recurring annual fee, like club dues etc) would it cost (or would be good deal to grab)?
I believe HGVC also allows nightly stays with minimum 3 nights, just like CW. Perhaps the week long booking restriction only applies to home resort

Is it possible to relatively easily get decent quality resorts (any club) through HGVC RCI membership for at least some of the places like Sedona, Williamsburg, Branson and others where HGVC does not have a resort with flexibility on when on to travel (as in availability is not restricted to just a very few select weeks)? Just trying to get a sense of the extent of disadvantage w.r.t HGVC having fewer resorts. I think one advantage with HGVC RCI over CW RCI is that it allows nightly stays rather than full week stays.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you also say that abt 15000 points with HGVC should suffice to get abt 2 weeks of vacation for a 1BR on avg. Do you have a rough idea how much total annual fee (including all kinds of recurring annual fee, like club dues etc) would it cost (or would be good deal to grab)?
I believe HGVC also allows nightly stays with minimum 3 nights, just like CW. Perhaps the week long booking restriction only applies to home resort

Is it possible to relatively easily get decent quality resorts (any club) through HGVC RCI membership for at least some of the places like Sedona, Williamsburg, Branson and others where HGVC does not have a resort with flexibility on when on to travel (as in availability is not restricted to just a very few select weeks)? Just trying to get a sense of the extent of disadvantage w.r.t HGVC having fewer resorts. I think one advantage with HGVC RCI over CW RCI is that it allows nightly stays rather than full week stays.

I think 15000 would be more than enough for most locations, even 100% covering prime season. I would buy Las Vegas, where maintenance fees are very reasonable, especially for larger contracts. For example, this is only $75 more than my 5440 point timeshare, with double the points:

Club dues are the same for everyone, $193 currently, even if you own multiple timeshares. 3 Nights minimum, up to 9 months out. You can book your home resort between 9 - 12 months out, but it has to be the fully allocated week and room type.

I don't know anything about RCI, I've only glanced at the last minute deals (Last Call). I have too small of contracts to really mess with it other than that.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Hilton charges a club fee, Wyndham does not.

Actually, Club Wyndham charges a "program fee" of $0.66 or $0.68 per 1,000 points (depending on whether you have any retail points in the account) with minimum amounts of around $185 for an account IIRC. That is the equivalent of the HGVC club dues and pays for the ability to book within the system using points and a few other things. If you own the equivalent deed at a Club Wyndham managed resort but don't have it in the system, for example a 2 BR Deluxe at Bali Hai that would yield 325,000 points, the program fee would be $214.50 (for resale points) while both would have the same underlying maintenance fee.