• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waiohai Island View

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We are back at Waiohai this week after an absence of many years. Very pleasantly surprised with changes made at the resort. Especially glad they now have towel service at the pool. Interior decorating is modern (as seems to be the trend at all MVCI resorts), but I'm happy the styling still retains some island accents.

We reserved an Island View unit using timeshare points. Island View at Waiohai sometimes means parking lot view or dumpster view, so I held my breath at check-in time. We were VERY pleasantly surprised with our unit assignment. I wouldn't call it Ocean View, but certainly we get an Ocean Glimpse. From what I can tell, they treat points reservations like owned weeks when allocating room assignments. That is a big plus versus trading in via Interval International.

During a holiday week like this, the resort is packed (no surprise). I have never seen the Waiohai beach so full of people (too much for me - we will drive elsewhere for our beach days). Reserving activities and restaurants is also a challenge. Rental car prices are off the charts this week as well, but gratefully we nailed a last-minute Hot Rate deal on Hotwire (recommend others check the Hotwire website, too).

The weather is perfect and life is good. This will put me in a better mood for paying all those timeshare maintenance fees coming due soon.

Waiohai.JPG

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
That is a nice room location!! That's good to know that point reservations are treated well. I've visited Waiohai but have never stayed there -- enjoy your trip!!!

Best,

Greg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Looks much better than the view out my window today. Enjoy!!!

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Great “island view”. Enjoy Kauai! I’m sure weather is much nicer than the cold temps on the east coast right now. Jealous!

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Looks beautiful. What a nice unit assignment. Enjoy Poipu and the southern end of Kauai. And have a Puka Dog while you're there! The Pineapple Field menu choice is fantastic!

taffy19

Reaction score
That is a nice view and certainly when you had lower expectations. Enjoy Kauai and your coffee on the Lanai when you get up. :D

Have you seen the single swan? I wished he had company.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Very nice room assignment. We traded in via II last December and had an island view room opposite from you. We were happy with it, but your view is definitely better. Have a great time!

Best regards.

Mike

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Beach crowds not bad today.

C6F51676-784E-4982-AB20-8533E0AA57C6.jpeg

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
New Year’s Eve sunset.

BCC4756E-24B7-4676-99BD-5BDAADA7B9C7.jpeg

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Christmas lights at the resort.

12F8D5FD-686D-4D0B-B43E-F1DFBE4BAE13.jpeg

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Our week here at Waiohai is drawing to a close and it has been wonderful.

After January 2nd, the holiday crowds cleared out significantly. Lots of empty loungers by the pool, and the beach has not been crowded at all. Easy to find parking spaces in the garage.

My opinion of Waiohai has risen significantly during this trip. Previously, it always felt more like an apartment complex than a resort. This trip I have noticed and appreciated resort amenities like bellman service, towel service at the pool, and a full schedule of fitness classes. I also like the smaller scale of the Waiohai resort (my only real gripe is the small size of the Waiohai swimming pools).

We attended a low-pressure timeshare sales presentation for 15K MRPs, but did not buy anything. They have a small sales staff of only 6 people here at Waiohai.

The fish and shrimp tacos at Island Tacos (in Poipu and Waimea) are heavenly. Pie lovers like me will find nirvana at The Right Slice (in Kalaheo and Lihue). Our kids love Uncle's Shaved Ice (in Poipu and Lihue).

The island of Kauai is spectacular (we already knew that). Kauai's natural beauty simple cannot be beat.

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4098.JPG

KauaiFalls.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

KauaiSunset.JPG

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Those are fantastic pictures, thank you for posting! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed your trip to Waiohai and I hope to stay there in the coming days. I’m glad you met Jeremy and that it was been such a successful trip. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Those are fantastic pictures, thank you for posting!
Kauai's incredible beauty makes everyone look like a great photographer (all those photos were taken using my iPhone).

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I’m glad you’ve enjoyed your trip to Waiohai and I hope to stay there in the coming days.
I have no doubt we will return to Waiohai at some point, but our kids all voted that Maui Ocean Club is still their favorite of all the MVCI Hawaii timeshare properties. That Maui Ocean Club pool is hard to beat.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Great photos! While we also prefer Maui Ocean Club (location, pool, etc), it is hard to beat the true natural beauty of Kauai. No other Hawaiian Island can compare, in my view. The Napali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and just the lushness of Kauai is fantastic. Glad you had a great trip! We'll be in Oahu and Maui very soon, but skipping Kauai this trip. I think next trip I need to hit Waiohai, as I've yet to stay there. Aloha!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Nice Pics....looking forward to my visit to Kauai in April.

tjcutler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous shots of Kauai! We will be there in a couple weeks, staying at Waiohai for the first time. I'm trying to figure out building/unit you were in, hoping to request a similar room as I've reserved Island view with points as well.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Those are fantastic pictures, thank you for posting! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed your trip to Waiohai and I hope to stay there in the coming days. I’m glad you met Jeremy and that it was been such a successful trip. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg
Did I miss something ?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Great pics! I just got a trade into Waiohai for next January (5-12) so I look forward to my "dumpster view" room. No biggie, it's KAUAI!!!

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
Wonderful pics!!! Looking forward to our return next year...this year it is off to Ko Olina in August using accumulated points for entire family.

Is Troy still there doing water aerobics and other "physically challenging" activities...he was very engaged and ran great programs.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your review, observations and photos.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Great pics and great room. We own there and love it too.

FWIW: By asking and doing our research (here on TUG somewhere) the priority for room assignments starts with Waiohai multi-week owners using multiple weeks, and trickles it's way down thru Marriott owners to the owner/exchangers, exchangers and then other non-owners and some types of MR points or vacation packages or ????
As a Waiohai owner, they indicate that you shouldn't be in the p-lot hale. As a Marriott owner on exchange, they say you also shouldn't be in the p-lot hale.
We'll see: I'm using an owned and exchanged week in Feb. Hopefully, we'll be as lucky as you!

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Is Troy still there doing water aerobics and other "physically challenging" activities...he was very engaged and ran great programs.
I saw the water aerobics class underway in the pool while I was walking to the beach. Can't say if the instructor's name was Troy, but he was very enthusiastic.