TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Two Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by geist1223, Aug 12, 2018 at 12:38 AM.

1. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    1. Do not come to Hawaii in July and August. Over the past 15 years we have traveled to Hawaii October through June. The June trip was to Kauai. Normally our trips are January to May. It is too Hot and Humid in July and August. Even with the Trade Winds blowing.
    2. If your first week is in a Timeshare with AC and your second week is in a Timeshare whose AC is OW and Fans. Then every day of the first week turn up your AC at least 2 degrees. So you are ready for the OW/Fan AC.

2. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
    Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
    HGVC at Sea World
    ...3. If you do visit Hawaii in July or August, first spend the week prior in the southern U.S. Then when you get to Hawaii, you will be pleased with the reduction in heat and humidity. ;) :)

Seriously, even with our tolerance for heat/humidity built from over 60 years living in North Carolina, we would never consider going to a Hawaii timeshare without A/C, especially in the summer. Since your profile says you are in Salem, Oregon, I'm sure even the modest humidity in Hawaii seems like a sauna compared to your home. Come on down south sometime for some real heat and humidity. Ya'll are welcome!

3. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    I have lived in North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. Never again.

4. Egret1986

Egret1986 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We went to the Big Island/Kauai in mid-June 2015. We were in three different units. Two units had A/C, one didn't. We only stayed for three days in the no A/C. It was miserable for sleeping.

We're headed to Maui next February. No A/C. I definitely have my concerns. I guess that I have a tolerance for heat/humidity living in southern coastal Virginia. :ponder:

5. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    yup. Like a Sauna

[​IMG]

6. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    p-shaw.

It will be 'chilly' for you in Maui in Feb. Only time it get's hot (we leave the doors open, so no AC most of the time) is around happy-hour when the sunshine beats on the windows facing west. Throw another Mai Tai on the fire. (so to speak).

Really, I think Feb is pretty mild....at least early Feb.

Egret1986 likes this.
  7. chellej

chellej TUG Member

This is so true. We lived in Houston for 22 years and our first trip to Hawaii was in July. We stayed at the Shearwater on Kauai and theBay Club on the big Island. No AC at shearwater and even though the bay club had AC there was something in the AC system that stirred up my DH allergies so we didn't use it. We had no trouble, thought the weather was great.

Now that we live in Washington State, if we don't have ac, we are miserable

8. b2bailey

b2bailey TUG Member

Laughing with y'all on this one. Left Atlanta last year. Relocated to California desert -- "it's a dry heat" Ha! 120 degrees is miserable. Escaped to Cabo for a couple weeks and felt their humid 90 was lovely. Of course had air conditioning everywhere.

9. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    Being retired our rule is do not come to Hawaii when kids are out of school! :)

From Baton Rouge and I'm with you! We sometimes have to be careful and not laugh when people on Maui complain about the humidity. We smile and say "come stay awhile in Baton Rouge where the humidity is high and the wind is either non-existent or a hurricane"! ;)

vacationtime1, slip and DaveNW like this.
  10. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    The Hurricane (┬┐Hector?) that passed 150 miles to The south did not help. It's trailing north edge sent up a bunch of moisture to the Islands.

11. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    This ^^^. I travel to Hawaii in May and October. Come to think of it, I travel most everywhere in those months. Crowds are somewhat lower, and the weather is usually pretty good, at least in the places I go. :thumbup:

Dave

controller1 and slip like this.
  12. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

We went to Kauai end of June and stayed at Shearwater. No air conditioning but with The tradewinds blowing, we sometimes had to wear a jacket because it was chilly at night! Guess we really lucked out.

13. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We go to Hawaii during the period January - April and the weather is usually just perfect with windows open and no air-conditioning. However, we usually stay on the shaded cooler side of the building. The Sun in the last morning and afternoon is very hot and if that was beating on our apartment I would say we would need air-conditioning. Being retired and with our goal of getting away from the cold in the NY winter we have no reason to go in July and August. If we did I believe that air-conditioning would be required for us.

14. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

For years we went to Hawaii (Maui first, then eventually the Big Island) during the summer because that was when our kids were out of school. We own a fixed week at Maui Hill from August 26 to September 2. We stayed at our unit on Maui a few years back, then followed it up with a week on the Big Island. It happened that year both island were experiencing more heat AND humidity than usual. Last time we'll go to Hawaii during that time. Now we stick to March when the whales are visiting.

Polly Metallic likes this.
  15. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    I remember 40-50+ years ago, the hottest time of the year in Honolulu was the first couple of weeks in August. We'd get what my parents called a "kona wind" from the south in which the air was hot, humid and little/no breeze. I wasn't paying attention to weather patterns as a kid, but bet it was due to hurricanes and other storms passing south of the Big Island. Just my opinion, but I think the time of the 'kona winds' has shifted and occur more now in mid-August to mid-September.

I remember it being so hot and humid that my school friends and I would take 2-3 showers a day! And we were all relieved when our cooling tradewinds from the NE returned. My parents never owned a car with AC. Talk about hot... think about getting into a car with vinyl seats, that's been sitting in the sun for several hours! My dad occasionally took us driving with windows down to help cool off. Also went to the beach a LOT! I have AC in my car now, but as a matter of principle o_O don't turn it on except for rare occasions during Seattle's dry summers.

It takes us about 3-4 days to get acclimated to Hawaii's humidity and warmth, where we don't feel uncomfortably sticky and hot. Of course we're wearing shorts, T-shirts and flip-flop slippers the whole time :D

16. Dean

Dean TUG Member

We spent 3 weeks on 3 islands in July, fortunately all with AC. The first week on Maui would have been miserable because it was very calm the first 5 days. I lived on HI for 5 days and not only did our Condo not have AC, our Hospital didn't for much of it. It generally wasn't a problem and I remember being cold about as much as too hot due to the winds in the condo.

Plus it's often cheaper and for timeshares, easier exchanging.