• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Right Way to Use a Public Bathroom (to Avoid Getting Sick)

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
The Right Way to Use a Public Bathroom (to Avoid Getting Sick)
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/smarter-living/using-public-bathrooms.html

By Melinda Wenner Moyer / Smarter Living / The New York Times / nytimes.com / Apr 17, 2019

“The odds of becoming ill from using a public bathroom are slim. But there are a few things you can do to minimize your risk even more. Here’s what to keep in mind.

There are a handful of things in this world I’m extremely thankful for, yet also quite grossed out by. Public bathrooms are one of them. (Also: colonoscopies.) My disgust peaks around this time of year, when everyone around me seems to be coughing or sneezing or both — sometimes in the next stall.

What, if anything, can we do to minimize our exposure to germs when we have to relieve ourselves in public? I called a handful of experts — it’s fun to ask total strangers about toilet bacteria, believe me — and dug up some pretty nasty research to find out. You’re welcome.....”

DE771DB5-F76A-46E3-A8E6-0430A70FCFF6.jpeg

Photo: iStock / The New York Times

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I am still appalled at the number of women I see using the facilities and not washing their hands! Yesterday at Costco I followed a woman out of the washroom who walked out of a stall as I was drying my hands (with paper towel) and she went right to a table and proceeded to eat her lunch. Yikes!

~Diane

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I am still appalled at the number of women I see using the facilities and not washing their hands! Yesterday at Costco I followed a woman out of the washroom who walked out of a stall as I was drying my hands (with paper towel) and she went right to a table and proceeded to eat her lunch. Yikes!

~Diane
Isn't that the truth! Washing your hands is so important.

Years ago my kids would pass illnesses from one kid to the next and I simply couldn't take off any more work. I discussed this with our pediatrician who told me that I had to enforce hand washing at home if I wanted to prevent this from happening. I was skeptical that such a simple solution would work, but was willing to try anything. Our new rule was that you had to sing the alphabet while washing (so that they washed for at least 30 seconds), and lo and behold, they never passed another illness again. The kids still got sick, but it was just one person. It was like a miracle cure.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Isn't that the truth! Washing your hands is so important.

Years ago my kids would pass illnesses from one kid to the next and I simply couldn't take off any more work. I discussed this with our pediatrician who told me that I had to enforce hand washing at home if I wanted to prevent this from happening. I was skeptical that such a simple solution would work, but willing to try anything. Our new rule was that you had to sing the alphabet while washing (so that they washed for at least 30 seconds), and lo and behold, they never passed another illness again. The kids still got sick, but it was just one person. It was like a miracle cure.

It is also important to wash your hands after every time you blow your nose when you have a cold or you can risk re-infecting yourself. Also sneezing into your crooked elbow, not your hands. I even wash my hands when I get home from grocery shopping before I start putting the groceries away, then again when I'm done. I wash my hands so often it's a wonder I have any skin left on them!

~Diane

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It is also important to wash your hands after every time you blow your nose when you have a cold or you can risk re-infecting yourself. Also sneezing into your crooked elbow, not your hands. I even wash my hands when I get home from grocery shopping before I start putting the groceries away, then again when I'm done. I wash my hands so often it's a wonder I have any skin left on them!

~Diane
A friend watched me prepare dinner at a timeshare a few years ago and stated that she had never seen anyone wash their hands so many times during meal prep. Scary thought - doesn't everyone do this, lol?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
About a year ago I read an article that said not to use the blow dryers in a public bathroom. Most public bathrooms do not have toilet lids and the few that do people never put them down before flushing. This sends microscopic amounts of fecal matter into the air, which quite often get sucked into the blow dryers. In another article people complained about public bathrooms without toilet liners. The article said not to worry because any viruses or bacteria can shoot right through that thin paper. So either accept the toilet seat or wash it down with an antiseptic wipe.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I had to use public bathrooms a ton of times during the day in my job. The one thing I did was to always wash my hands afterwards.

The past few years I finally got smart and got seat covers that I would take in with me. Keep them in my bag and take with me at all times wherever we go. I first wipe the seat and then cover so I can at least sit down. Not into the squatting thing, especially now that I am older.

Then I wash my hands afterwards. I don't worry about door handles and air dryers and all that.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
The number of people who use their phones in bathrooms also can contribute to this. Disinfecting stuff like that is often skipped. For example, people reading or watching videos then stick the phone in their pocket and leave the stall.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Unless your immune system is compromised, I really don't worry about such things. When you gotta go, you gotta go.