• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Solar eclipse on August 21...anyone getting excited?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a cool picture I took close to the max coverage here. It is a shot of the sunlight filtering through the leave of a tree onto the sidewalk:
This is one of the coolest things to look at if you don't have totality. All the spaces through the leaves create their own little 'pinhole cameras'. When we were experiencing totality I texted my hot-shot smarty pants Microsoft engineer kid to look at the shadows under the trees. He was using a pinhole camera he'd constructed from a cereal box, but agreed that Nature's was better.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We were no where near the area of totality, we ended up seeing the eclipse while in Michigan while taking the detour for I75 south just south of Detroit at a road side stop on I475 SB. There were a lot of other people there stopped watching the eclipse. Some with simple pinhole viewers and others made of cereal boxes. I shared around a pair of our solar glasses we picked up a few weeks ago while they were still available. Many places were sold out last week.

Of course the eclipse came with its oddities, from one person going full road rage on us because a truck in front of us wouldn't turn right on red. Not sure what we could do about it. To then later our convertible top not being secure while driving down the highway. So we had to stop and put it up and back down again. It was neat to see, even though we were not able to view it in totality. We will be on the edge of totality in 2024, so we may drive a little further north to get a better view. IF we are still in Ohio.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We made pinhole cameras using cereal boxes with our grandchildren. They were so excited! Here in Toronto, we did not see anything near a full eclipse, but they were able to see the sun change from perfectly round to what they described as a piece of macaroni. It was a fun experience, and they learned some science and geography along the way.

Dori

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it on TV, with a cereal box viewer, and from borrowed glasses and welders lens from people I didn't know. Kudos to everyone who saw it in full force. Here, only 80%. In 2024 we will be much closer, and I will buy the glasses well in advance. It was a tremendous experience nonetheless.
Thanks for starting this thread, Carol C.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
You may need to wait an extra year. If you look up at the sun in 2023, you might be disappointed. The next total eclipse in the USA is April 8, 2024.

Cliff will turn 86 that day, and we have two friends in Virginia who share that birthdate so we'll have to start planning!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In the Salem Oregon we got to experience the Totalty. I did mot think I was going to be so impressed. It was awesome. We are making plans for Texas in 2024. There are several Worldmark Resorts that will be in the Zone of Totality.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the night of August 20th, the cloud forecast for Nebraska was a bit "iffy". We chose a location north of the Crescent Lake National Wildlife refuge and south of Lakeview, NE.

The morning of August 21st dawned with a pea soup fog (this was, ironically, the exact reason why I avoided the Oregon coast for the eclipse), so it was impossible to assess the cloud cover. Many hotel guests were through the breakfast bar before 6:30 a.m., so we also departed the Ogallala hotel early at 7:15 a.m.

We missed a turn for US-26, and did not discover this until we reached NE-27, so we took the scenic route to reach Oshkosh, NE about 8:45 a.m. The Sinclair mini-mart there was slammed. The small parking lot was packed, and the eight gas pumps had a line. I am sure the clerks there thought it was the apocalypse. People seemed in a good mood, though. There were quite a few tailgate breakfasts on the street immediately around the minimart.

The fog dissipated during the drive thirty-five miles north to and through the Wildlife Refuge, which took about 1.5 hours. There were fields of wild sunflowers and some other late-season flowers in bloom across the rolling hills. There was a line of cars driving the dirt road to the Wildlife Reserve, but the Refuge is where we left the traffic behind. At our chosen observation spot, there were only three cars on the half-mile of road we could see, and only about a dozen drove by in either direction while we there.

We arrived to clear skies, but then some clouds developed to the north, and a north breeze blew them in our direction. We watched the eclipse progress through our eclipse glasses, with the occasional cloud obscuring the sun. The landscape took on a strange, filtered light effect; the wild sunflowers popped neon yellow bright in this light. We developed an action plan to move north or south toward clear skies, but it was not needed. We lucked out with a clear view for the entirety of totality.

Totality was a totally different experience from the partial phases leading up to it. It was like someone flipped a switch. Removing the eclipse glasses was rewarded with a sight I will remember for the rest of my life. A perfect ring of silver surrounded the moon with three large arms of plasma visible. I have not seen a picture of the eclipse that captured the delicate filaments of the sun’s corona. Totality is definitely something where you have to "be there".

The most surprising aspect was the 360-degree sunset/sunrise in the south, north, west and east horizons. The clouds in the area magnified the effect with orange, yellow, blue and purple.

I thoroughly enjoyed my short trip to Nebraska. The locals were quite friendly to all of us out-of-towners. The police departments in Alliance and Scottsbluff were completely prepared for the apocalyptic traffic jams and moved everyone through their towns safely.

The total solar eclipse is definitely worth a repeat performance. I am already planning an extended vacation to one of the WorldMark resorts in Texas for April 8, 2024. 2024 will be here before we know it. In the meantime, I will be watching the west Texas cloud cover in early April each year to get some idea of what to expect.

If you did not make it into the Zone of Totality for this eclipse, try for another total solar eclipse; it is soooo worth it.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
96% here. It was a fun experience, and looking at the traffic from here to Wyoming I'm glad I decided not to try a day trip up there.

Here is a cool picture I took close to the max coverage here. It is a shot of the sunlight filtering through the leaves of a tree onto the sidewalk:

View attachment 4520

Kurt
I have never seen a full eclipse, but remember many years ago watching a fairly substantial partial. The one thing that knocked my socks off (partly because it was so unexpected, at least by me) was seeing what Kurt took a picture of. The little spaces between the leaves acted as a pinhole and all these crescents ended up being projected onto the sidewalk.

Thanks for the photo, Kurt. It brought back some real memories.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Husband is back from his trip and says it was worth it to see totality. Says though that the frustration of traffic would have made it NOT worth it for the kiddo so we did make the right decision. However, he is certain we need to see one all together and is much more pumped to make plans well ahead of time to prevent traffic/hotel/flight issues for the next one.

Husband says this 2 minute one was spectacular and that a "4 minute one would be twice as good." He says he understands people who are eclipse chasers - that you just want as many minutes of totality as possible.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know that there is such a thing as one continuous 4 minutes of totality, unless one is flying in a VERY fast airplane, but can agree with your husband that totality is very very cool, and well worth chasing. And the shared experience, the applause, some people crying, everyone in mouth-gaping awe, the drop in temperature, stillness, crescent shaped shadows, the whole shebang was just TOO COOL FOR WORDS.

Jim

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cliff will turn 86 that day, and we have two friends in Virginia who share that birthdate so we'll have to start planning!

DH also has a birthday on that day. Living in So Cal, we are nowhere near the path but DH has relatives in CT and we have friends in ME, so maybe we can see it from one of those locations. Or get a timeshare somewhere along the path.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I ended up with an appointment yesterday morning which was going to require me to be on the freeway during the eclipse. I didn't know how other drivers on the freeway would react, so I left 20 min. early and set in the parking lot during the eclipse and checked emails.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I ended up with an appointment yesterday morning which was going to require me to be on the freeway during the eclipse. I didn't know how other drivers on the freeway would react, so I left 20 min. early and set in the parking lot during the eclipse and checked emails.
Are the glasses on your avatar Eclipse-approved?
207.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Nope, but I do wear really dark sun glasses. ;) I was having a busy day, and to be quite honest, I didn't make any arrangements to view the eclipse. I saw it on the news, later.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honest- This is my LAST post in this thread.... Our library is collecting 'gently used' eclipse glasses to send to South America for the next eclipse there and it's in an area where the people do not have much disposable income, and kids might have to do without. We donated 6 pairs, and I hope you all can find a good charity to donate yours too.

Jim

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honest- This is my LAST post in this thread.... Our library is collecting 'gently used' eclipse glasses to send to South America for the next eclipse there and it's in an area where the people do not have much disposable income, and kids might have to do without. We donated 6 pairs, and I hope you all can find a good charity to donate yours too.

Jim
Any idea if this is wide spread or what the charity doing it is? We had to buy 25 pairs (the curse of procrastination, lol) and used maybe 12 so it'd be awesome to pass them on!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any idea if this is wide spread or what the charity doing it is?
Do not just throw away your unwanted Eclipse Glasses. Donate them to Astronomers Without Borders who can share them with inquisitive children in South America and Asia for the 2019 Total Eclipses.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/solar-system/news/a27870/donate-your-eclipse-glasses/

Education is the key to prevent Total Eclipse Scrooges. Everyone should have a chance to experience a Total Eclipse of the Sun in Their Lifetime.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I lied. THIS is my final post in this thread. . . . On April 8, 2024 The total eclipse will come ashore just at Mazatlan, Mexico. Lots of timeshares there. Get your ressies in!

Jim

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw it in Totality. It was cool.
If I did not happen to be in the totality zone I don't think I would have made arrangements to view in an area of totality. Just got lucky to be in the zone with DW.

Now I can say I have seen the "Total Eclipse of the Sun". Just like Carly Simon sings it.:)

ssreward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not just throw away your unwanted Eclipse Glasses. Donate them to Astronomers Without Borders who can share them with inquisitive children in South America and Asia for the 2019 Total Eclipses.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/solar-system/news/a27870/donate-your-eclipse-glasses/

Education is the key to prevent Total Eclipse Scrooges. Everyone should have a chance to experience a Total Eclipse of the Sun in Their Lifetime.
Thank you - exactly what I was hoping for! Sad to admit my subscriptions to Pop Mech/Sci have lapsed so I wouldn't have known if it wasn't mentioned here

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you - exactly what I was hoping for! Sad to admit my subscriptions to Pop Mech/Sci have lapsed so I wouldn't have known if it wasn't mentioned here
That is just one source, as an example. Astronomers Without Borders is getting a lot of press for their efforts.

The local Science and Nature Museum is collecting unneeded Eclipse Glasses to send somewhere and offering a discounted admission in return.

The discount is more than I paid for the cheap sunglasses. Win - Win.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I saw it in Totality. It was cool.
If I did not happen to be in the totality zone I don't think I would have made arrangements to view in an area of totality. Just got lucky to be in the zone with DW.

Now I can say I have seen the "Total Eclipse of the Sun". Just like Carly Simon sings it.:)

Me too. We went just north of Maderas Oregon to view the eclipse. It was totality. Our view included Mt Adams, Mt Hood, Mt Jefferson, The Sisters and Mt Bachelor. The light dimmed from west to east so it was it made the mountains look odd as the darkness hit these areas before ours. It was a really cool thing to see and I have not seen any film that captured what black moon with corona as it looked in real time.

Bill

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I saw it on TV, with a cereal box viewer, and from borrowed glasses and welders lens from people I didn't know. Kudos to everyone who saw it in full force. Here, only 80%. In 2024 we will be much closer, and I will buy the glasses well in advance. It was a tremendous experience nonetheless.
Thanks for starting this thread, Carol C.

You're welcome, Patri. It's been fun reading it all. If I could I would have driven 15 mi to be within the PoT but with disabled spouse I didn't want to take out in all the traffic and heat, I decided to watch in my driveway. I got to see 99.985 pct of totality....but not the whole enchilada with corona, diamond ring, etc. Guess I'll just have to go to Mexico in 2024...not a sacrifice for me as I love Mazatlan and almost moved there. Btw, did folks who were close (but no cigar) to totality enjoy an otherworldly greenish glow to the light all around during totality time? I felt like I was on another planet...not in my driveway! Reminds me of the time I was in a real haunted house behind a timeshare resort, and the air inside was thick like a kind of plasma, very strange walking around in there, and yes others experienced some strangeness, and one gal shot a photo and got an orb. I just love this stuff...it breaks up the routine of "normal" life!