• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ritz Carlton Aspen or Vail?

alhanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to the Aspen location, but the Ritz in Vail was great. We stayed last summer and loved it. The location is close to many shops and restaurants and right on the main trail by Gore Creek. Great staff at the hotel, too.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also highly recommend the Vail, but I haven't been to Aspen. The Ritz in Vail seems to have a lot better availability. It is my favorite timeshare that we have used DC points for. Staff and location are fantastic. We parked our car (free valet) and only used it a few times for grocery shopping and one restaurant. It is close to walking and bike trails, and there are several good restaurants in the area. There is a small bike rental shop next door with reasonable prices. We were there last Labor Day week and are returning next year. There is a nice fitness center and pool and they even provide complimentary sunscreen. Most restaurants are expensive but have off season specials and some are worth the price. There is a good carryout barbecue place nearby

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How hard is it to use DC Points for ski season at RC Vail and Aspen?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Nice reports about Ritz Vail. We just recently reserved two nights for next June as we pass through the area. We had stopped by to see the resort as well as the Westin in Beaver Creek (just down the freeway about 9-10 miles as I recall),and we really liked both resorts and the area.

Best regards.

Mike

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Which do you prefer and why? Are either of them walkable to downtown shopping and restaurants? This would be for early June, late May.

You need a vehicle to get into town from the Aspen Ritz.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are a few restaurants that were within easy walking distance to the Ritz VC:
La Tour: Excellent special meal, French bistro style, multi-course specials on some week nights
Moe's Barbecue: Casual, reasonably priced, we carried out from there twice, great pulled pork and baked beans, two blocks
Blue Moose : Near the main lift square area, good pizza, we carried out but they also have nice outdoor and indoor dining areas

The Ritz has a complimentary shuttle for local locations. I think Vail also provides complimentary bus service to key shopping/dining areas. We enjoy walking so we walked most places. Very scenic.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both Clubs are beautiful. The Aspen Club is in Aspen Highlands, it is rather remote, in the context of "happening" Aspen, but it could serve as a fabulous base for enjoying the area. There is one restauant on-site, at the Aspen Highlands Club, the remaining "destination restaurants" are, primarily, in downtown Aspen. The Aspen Club operates a shuttle to downtown, and perhaps, some other destinations. If you want to be in the mountains, and enjoy a bit of a now chic/former cowboy town (the Sheriff wears blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat), I'd consider Aspen Highlands. If you want the "Vail experience," and to be in an aberation of Vail Village, I'd consider Vail. The quality of accommodations and service is what you would expect of a luxury hotel brand (in a residential (not hotel) setting). FYI, there was once The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch, at Beaver Creek, now managed by the Timbers, so don't let reviews confuse you. If you are looking for a destination in close proximity to an airport, you can't beat Aspen; Vail Eagle Airport is most convenient for Vail (but not as convenient as Aspen Airport is for Aspen), and Vail Eagle Airport will put you in easy reach of Aspen.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I like the descriptions of Vail, but my wife has been spoiled by the downtown location of the Summit Watch in Park City so I don’t know if I can convince her to go slightly out of town with Vail.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I like the descriptions of Vail, but my wife has been spoiled by the downtown location of the Summit Watch in Park City so I don’t know if I can convince her to go slightly out of town with Vail.

I’d say the Ritz-Carlton Club in Vail comes much closer to meeting your wife’s happiness (in terms of proximity to town), than the Ritz-Carlton Club in Aspen Highlands. Happy Wife = Happy Vacation.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Funny that you mention both of those resorts. We are planning a driving trip for next June from Las Vegas. Our first stop will be Summit Watch for a couple nights. We plan to visit Yellowstone, Cody WY, then drive to Mt. Rushmore and Badlands. We will head back home and stay two nights at the Ritz in Vail on the way home. We will stay at both resorts on Sun- Th nights, so they points required are very reasonable.

Best regards.

Mike

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vail actually has two villages with shopping and restaurants. The Ritz is only two blocks from Lionshead Village which has several good restaurants. Vail Village is about a mile away, but there is a walking/bike trail that makes it easily accessible. La Tour is in Vail Village. We took the hotel shuttle to the restaurant and walked back. We were there for a week and only used our car for grocery shopping. The shuttle, free local bus, and bike/walking trails make everything easily accessible. The bike/hike trail is behind the Ritz and goes for miles. Location is great.

I'd like to point out that the high altitude in Vail takes a little adjustment. I suggest taking it easy the first day to adjust, but we were fine walking and renting bikes on the second day. We frequently go to Park City and never had altitude issues there, but Vail is higher in altitude and it is noticeable.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, thanks to everyone for their comments.

We will be at the Summit Watch in September this year and over the Fourth of July next year. We need to escape the summer heat of south eastern South Carolina. I think I’ll try for Vail in 2020. We only have one week that has enough points for us to get a summer week in Vail.