TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

RCI Points

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by Mjasp, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

Where can I find information on RCI Points?

I still see them for sale, but how do they work?
    Can you book any TS in their data base and can you book for long weekends and if so what would the charge be to book long weekends
    and housekeeping charge?

If there is a thread/forum on this please direct me.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    When you say 'rent' do you mean actual cash rentals? Or are you asking if you can book these reservations using RCI points?

3. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

Sorry...No, I mean book.
    I am thinking RCI pts may be a great option for long weekends and so that would be a good purchase for me. As I would have access to many many resorts.

4. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    That's exactly why I purchased my first RCI Points contract. I already had Wyndham Points and liked the flexibility of unit size and number of days. RCI Points gave me that flexibility in locations where Wyndham didn't exist.

Some resorts have add'l housekeeping fees for stays less than 7 days. I don't have a problem with that because there is additional housekeeping needed for short stays. Also, the exchange fees are lower for RCI Points reservations, so sort of an offset.

Also inventory in RCI Points is greater than RCI Weeks.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Mjasp likes this.
  5. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    In my experience not all resorts in RCI can be booked for less than full week rentals. When they can you have to pay a housekeeping fee for less than full week stays. If you are looking to book mostly long weekends you might be better off buying Wyndham points. Maybe other people have more experience than I have with booking less than full week stays with RCI.

Now I'm going to add a but. You can find discounted point stays in the last 5 weeks before the check in date. You will pay the $239 exchange fee but there wouldn't be a housekeeping fee. We've stayed a lot of holiday weeks at different resorts in Florida before my husband retired 6 months ago. He would have a long weekend because of the holiday and usually take a day of vacation to give himself a four day weekend. I would check with him when I booked the stays to make sure he had work in the area we were staying in and one of the three remaining work days for the week would be a day of doing reports. He always said sitting on the balcony looking out at the ocean or Gulf doing reports on his laptop hardly seemed like he was working. Several times we check out what the hotels in the area were getting a night for those holiday weekends and that $239 exchange fee for a whole week was a real deal compared to what people staying in the hotels were paying even if you didn't stay the whole week. Also when you can find sale weeks that require no points for around $269 or less they could also be used for long weekends.

6. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

So if you own RCI Points, anything you book has a $239 exchange fee? I like doing 2-3 nights as I live in Florida and like to do long Florida coastal weekends. So if there is a $239 exchange fee plus housekeeping fee, it may not be worth it for me, I may be better off booking a hotel. It;s just the 2 of us.

7. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

I found this online.
    Exchange Vacations USD (Call Center/RCI.com)
    Home Week Reservation (7 nights) No Charge
    Home Resort Reservation (7 nights) $50
    RCI Points Reservation 14 nights + $288
    RCI Points Reservation: 7-13 nights $209
    RCI Points Reservation 6 nights $199
    RCI Points Reservation: 5 nights $179
    RCI Points Reservation 4 nights $139
    RCI Points Reservation: 3 nights $109
    RCI Points Reservation 2 nights $79
    RCI Points Reservation: 1 night $59
    RCI Weeks Reservation (7 nights) $239
    Thanks.

Freein2010...Are you happy with your RCI Points?

Free2Roam likes this.
  8. hintok

hintok TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Westin Mission Hills
    WorldMark 26,000 credits
    Gandview at Las Vegas RCI Points 488,000
    I really like RCI Points over Weeks. I have been able to book 9 nights at the Hilton Club, New York City as well as 3 nights at San Luis Bay Inn, Avalia Beach, CA. It is so flexible. If you have an RCI weeks account you do not pay for an additional points account.

9. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I am fairly satisfied with RCI Points. I've learned how and when to book to get what I want. That part works great for me.

I'm not happy with frequent fee increases. But with the selection available and comparing it to other choices (renting or using hotels), I still come out okay.

10. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Actually that's reversed... if you pay for an RCI Points account, you get a free RCI Weeks account.

11. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    There is no housekeeping fee with full week or longer stays. What I can't tell you is how good the selection of resorts is that will do partial week stays.

12. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  13. hintok

hintok TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Westin Mission Hills
    WorldMark 26,000 credits
    I just know I had an RCI Weeks account first and when I acquired RCI points I did not have to pay for an extra account.

14. RNCollins

RNCollins TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House
    Mjasp likes this.
  15. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I wish that were my situation... because the RCI Points membership fee is much higher than RCI Weeks.

16. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Fee is not that much more, but I have never seen specials on on 3 for 2 year on memberships like you will see on weeks only memberships, but the availability of stuff to is much greater.

Exchange fee costs to clear up are based on weeks or points reservation made since you can make both.

The part they don’t explain is not all resorts including point resorts allow for reservations less than a week or given number of days.

RCI does mess with inventory too it seems like all weeks in reduced point times will normally alway show as weeks inventory so they can get higher exchange fee. But in some cases you can see same ones in last minute deals and they will show as points inventory since you don’t have exchange fee.

But all that said you can milk points for a lot of stays.

Mjasp likes this.
  17. hintok

hintok TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Westin Mission Hills
    WorldMark 26,000 credits
    With resorts that only allow 1 stay in 4 years such as Hilton, can you book one stay in weeks and then one in points within the 4 years? Some RCI agents say yes, and some say no,

18. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    If you have a separate weeks account and points account, they likely won't know since the rci membership number is different. If you are booking a week from weeks inventory and a week from points inventory from the same account- be it rci points or one of the portals and the 1 in 4 rule does not specifically allow multiple points bookings then I think the answer would be no. If there are exceptions like some allow consecutive weeks then it would be listed in the information page toward the bottom.

19. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

I usually try to book 9 or 10 night stays with our points and have found a very limited selection of resorts. I usually am trying to book in FL, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Earlier this year I wanted to book a 9-10 night stay in FL for this Oct. to go with our home week stay. I found several resorts that had two 4 or 5 consecutive night stays but the RCI system wouldn't let me book a 9 or 10 night stay for those dates. When I called RCI the VC told me to just book the 2 different stays and call the resort to see if we could be in the same unit for the whole time. I told her no way, I'm not giving RCI an extra booking fee for doing that, but if she would let me pay one 10 night fee I would go for it. Of course she wouldn't. I don't understand why somebody can book a 4 and a 5 night stay but not a 9 night stay for the same dates, at the same resort, unless each stay is for a different unit at the resort.

I am also peeved that we can't do an ongoing search with points in RCI.

End of rant! :wall:

~Diane

Jan M. likes this.
  20. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

So you can only stay at a Hilton property one time every 4 years? Or is it the same Hilton resort you can only go to once every 4 years?

21. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

22. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

23. breezez

breezez TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark 39K
    Wyndham 406K
    RCI Points 196K
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    It’s the same Hilton... I may be wrong but getaways sometime will still work

Mjasp likes this.
  24. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    This has been my experience.

We stayed a week in a Hilton in Orlando in 2015 and a Hilton in Las Vegas (3 units the same week) in 2017.

Also, I've used Last Call and/or Extra Vacations 2-3 years in a row at places that have 1-in-4 rules. This may not apply to all resorts though.

Mjasp likes this.
  25. Mjasp

Mjasp TUG Member

So I just read all the links that were shared and am loving this RCI points deal. Thank You!

Is there a link with how many points different units take? So I can get an idea of how many points it takes per night for different areas, different times of the year?