• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New adventures in Puerto Vallarta

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been to Puerto Vallarta 20 times since 1984 and each trip has provided us with new memories and adventures. We returned on 11/21 from another wonderful 2 week vacation. The weather was in the mid to high 80's all week and the water temp was in the low 80's.
We went to the Puerto Vallarta Zoo for the first time and it was great! Admission is 100 pesos and you can buy a bag of food which contained bread, carrots, corn, peanuts, and pellets, with a chart on the bag telling you which food was best to feed which animals, for 50 pesos. The zoo was very clean with a large variety of animals which appeared healthy. There is an area with a snack bar and picnic tables where they have baby animals you can hold and play with. It costs 100 pesos to hold one baby or 300 pesos to hold the baby and play with the older cats. DH was allowed to enter the caged area to take pictures. I got to hold a 1 1/2 mo baby jaguar and a 78 lb 4 1/2 mo tiger with the help of the animal trainer (see my avatar) and then play with another tiger and an 11 mo jaguar.
We went fishing one day, which was not new to us, but catching 5 dorado and a sailfish (released it) certainly was!
We wanted to go scuba diving somewhere new without a long boat ride because DH had a bad experience one time. A friend who is a divemaster suggested he take us to Tehuamixtle which was a about 2 1/2 hours away by car, traveling to El Tuito and stopping for breakfast, then traveling via a dirt road to Tehuamixtle. The drive to El Tuito was along the coast to Boca de Tomatalan then turning inland. El Tuito is a cute little town, the people were very friendly and breakfast was very good. The dirt road to Tehua was is pretty good shape. They are in the process on building a highway which will allow the trip to be done in much less time once it is completed. As we were driving along we suddenly had to pull to the side of the road to let a cattle drive go by; 3 caballeros with their dogs and a about 40 cattle! When we arrived in Tehua we found a beautiful bay. There were 2 small inns and restaurants and a nice beach with crystal clear water. We dove from the beach and one of the fisherman followed us in his boat to ward off other boat traffic. The dive was at about 40', visibility 50+ ft and we saw a lot of fish, some coral, eels and a turtle. We had an incredible lunch at one of the restaurants; wonderful fresh seafood, large portions and inexpensive. Our second dive was on the other side of the bay with slightly less visibility but a lot more color. Snorkeling from the beach is also very good. There is a small wreck in about 15 ft of water no more than 30 feet from the beach. I would recommend this trip to anyone who likes to see new places in the PV area. We are considering staying overnight next year and exploring some of the other beach towns in that area next year.

janna1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Carole,

My family is going to visit Puerto Vallarta next Wednesday on a Cruise. We want to do some snorkeling. I tried Puerto Vallarta tour company, they don't go to Los Arcos on Wednesdays, they only go to Yelapa which I think the trip is too long for us. My kids are not old enough to meet the critira with the cruise shore exclusion program although they can swim well and did snorkel a couple times before.

I heard that there a some good place for snorkeling near Mismaloya Beach and also you can hire a guided boat. I searched around and could not get very detail information. You may be familiar with the area. Do you know this? Do you have any suggestion where to snorkel and is any snorkel gear rental near by?

Thanks in advance.
Jian

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can snorkel from the beach at Lindo Mar Resort but I don't know of any equipment rental there. Try asking the question at www.vallartascene.com. Someone there may know where you could hire a guided boat. The people I know only do scuba diving trips. You could also try this site: http://www.puertovallartatours.net/
We went fishing thru them and everything worked out well.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
The snorkeling at Mismaloya Beach is pretty much Los Arcos. It's about a 1/2mile from the beach. There are a lot of boats at the beach and you basically negotiate for a seat (from dinghys to catamarans). As soon as you get off of your bus or cab, a bunch of people will offer you a snorkeling trip. There was at least a dozen boats with a capacity of 5 to 30+ snorkelers and since they do these things every hour, you definitely can get on a trip.

From what I remember they were trying to get me to pay $20 per person for a 1 hour snorkel. Since it was slow, I got a guide to do it for $20 for the both of us. But these were pretty much just ordinary guys with a tiny boat that snorkeled with us and pointed out anything interesting in the water. So if you need a more professional guide trained in rescue, you probably should go with a bigger tour company. All of them pretty much had the gear and life vests, but they might not have very small sizes.

Anyways, the snorkeling conditions were not good for us, choppy waters and not much clarity. After about 20 minutes, I was done. You could see many colorful fish if they were within 10 feet of you, but otherwise the water was too cloudy. The guide told me that the conditions are usually better, but it had been very windy all week.

You could also snorkel by the rock off to the south part of Mismaloya beach, but when I went the surf was too strong for comfort and there were too many sea urchins in the water. We pretty much spent most of time relaxing and swimming at the beach.

I took a 50 cent bus to get to Mismaloya. I can't remember the number, but it had a "MISMALOYA" sign on it and you could pick it up at the Sheraton Buganvilla and it drops you off at the Barcelo Mismaloya hotel in front of the beach.

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Carole,

My family is going to visit Puerto Vallarta next Wednesday on a Cruise. We want to do some snorkeling. I tried Puerto Vallarta tour company, they don't go to Los Arcos on Wednesdays, they only go to Yelapa which I think the trip is too long for us. My kids are not old enough to meet the critira with the cruise shore exclusion program although they can swim well and did snorkel a couple times before.

I heard that there a some good place for snorkeling near Mismaloya Beach and also you can hire a guided boat. I searched around and could not get very detail information. You may be familiar with the area. Do you know this? Do you have any suggestion where to snorkel and is any snorkel gear rental near by?

Thanks in advance.
Jian

Ask ESK said, the snorkeling in PV really isn't very good unless you want to go all the way to Tehua or the Mariettas, which you will not have the time to do. Why not go to the zoo instead? You could take the public buses (ones that say Mismaloya) or a cab. I had a great time there.
If your cruise stops in Cabo, the snorkeling is better there. You could take a water taxi to Lover's Beach or a cab to Chileno or Santa Maria and snorkel from any of these beaches. I prefer Chileno, Lover's Beach can have a lot of boat traffic. There are plenty of dive shops in the Marina area where you can probably rent gear.

dsfritz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tehua

How could you take public transportation to Tehua. We went to Tuito last year and saw the road in progress. Is this road done now?
Diane

We've been to Puerto Vallarta 20 times since 1984 and each trip has provided us with new memories and adventures. We returned on 11/21 from another wonderful 2 week vacation. The weather was in the mid to high 80's all week and the water temp was in the low 80's.
We went to the Puerto Vallarta Zoo for the first time and it was great! Admission is 100 pesos and you can buy a bag of food which contained bread, carrots, corn, peanuts, and pellets, with a chart on the bag telling you which food was best to feed which animals, for 50 pesos. The zoo was very clean with a large variety of animals which appeared healthy. There is an area with a snack bar and picnic tables where they have baby animals you can hold and play with. It costs 100 pesos to hold one baby or 300 pesos to hold the baby and play with the older cats. DH was allowed to enter the caged area to take pictures. I got to hold a 1 1/2 mo baby jaguar and a 78 lb 4 1/2 mo tiger with the help of the animal trainer (see my avatar) and then play with another tiger and an 11 mo jaguar.
We went fishing one day, which was not new to us, but catching 5 dorado and a sailfish (released it) certainly was!
We wanted to go scuba diving somewhere new without a long boat ride because DH had a bad experience one time. A friend who is a divemaster suggested he take us to Tehuamixtle which was a about 2 1/2 hours away by car, traveling to El Tuito and stopping for breakfast, then traveling via a dirt road to Tehuamixtle. The drive to El Tuito was along the coast to Boca de Tomatalan then turning inland. El Tuito is a cute little town, the people were very friendly and breakfast was very good. The dirt road to Tehua was is pretty good shape. They are in the process on building a highway which will allow the trip to be done in much less time once it is completed. As we were driving along we suddenly had to pull to the side of the road to let a cattle drive go by; 3 caballeros with their dogs and a about 40 cattle! When we arrived in Tehua we found a beautiful bay. There were 2 small inns and restaurants and a nice beach with crystal clear water. We dove from the beach and one of the fisherman followed us in his boat to ward off other boat traffic. The dive was at about 40', visibility 50+ ft and we saw a lot of fish, some coral, eels and a turtle. We had an incredible lunch at one of the restaurants; wonderful fresh seafood, large portions and inexpensive. Our second dive was on the other side of the bay with slightly less visibility but a lot more color. Snorkeling from the beach is also very good. There is a small wreck in about 15 ft of water no more than 30 feet from the beach. I would recommend this trip to anyone who likes to see new places in the PV area. We are considering staying overnight next year and exploring some of the other beach towns in that area next year.

timesharejunkie4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Diane
There is a thread on Trip Advisor about public transportation to Tehua. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ehuamixtle-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html
Evidently the bus does not go daily. We rented a car, it wasn't a bad drive. There road from El Tuito to Tehua is only paved for a small portion but the dirt part was pretty smooth; you just couldn't go too fast. There was some construction but it was easy to get past.
We plan to go again next year and will most likely stay over for a night or two. We also want to see Mayto which is very close to Tehua.

aleksir

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regina
Thanks for a great idea

We're heading back the end of January. The zoo sounds like a neat idea - thanks! Love the picture.