• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Name on Deed vs. Name on Marriott Account

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
I recently purchased a few Marriott resale weeks, and am excited about our upcoming travels to Park City and Ocean Pointe. I appreciate all the wisdom and assistance that has been shared with me from the TUG community as I have been navigating this process.

I just encountered a problem and thought I would see if others have encountered similar trouble. Marriott notified me that they could not place all my weeks in a single MVC account, as the weeks are not all deeded identically. 3 of the 4 weeks have both me and my wife as owners on the deed, while one of the weeks (the first we purchased) shows only my name on the deed due to an oversight. As a result, Marriott created two different owner accounts and owner ID numbers. When I inquired about this, they said there was no way to include the single ownership week in the same account as the joint ownership weeks.

As a result of this snafu, I am having an attorney's office draft and record a new deed with my wife added so that all deeds will match. I will then have Marriott place all of the weeks into a single account. This will cause a little bit of a headache and about $175 in fees, but I figure it is worth it to keep things simple and in one account. I assume having the weeks spread across 2 separate accounts/ID numbers would make life difficult when I try to call in at the 13-month mark to reserve consecutive weeks.

Hopefully others reading this can learn from my mistake. Moral of the story: Make sure when buying new weeks/points that all your deeds have identical matching ownership.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
We recently added our son and his wife's names to our Barony and Grande Ocean deeds (actually now combined into a single registered deed) so that there would be no issues when we pass (a long time from now :=).

We have not bothered to change the name on the account at Marriott which is in just my wife's name. I always make our reservation on-line logging in with her credentials. I suppose I should investigate the possibility of putting all our names on the account at Marriott, but every bone in my body tells me it would just turn into a hassle!

Wahoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Ocean Watch
We recently added our son and his wife's names to our Barony and Grande Ocean deeds (actually now combined into a single registered deed) so that there would be no issues when we pass (a long time from now :=).

We have not bothered to change the name on the account at Marriott which is in just my wife's name. I always make our reservation on-line logging in with her credentials. I suppose I should investigate the possibility of putting all our names on the account at Marriott, but every bone in my body tells me it would just turn into a hassle!
If I were in your shoes I would not bother updating the Marriott account. At best, Marriott would make you go through the transfer of ownership application process requiring some paperwork and $25 per week in Marriott fees. I imagine everything will continue to work smoothly if you simply leave your account as is.

In my situation, I think the trouble occurred as these were newly acquired weeks. I am still surprised they would not allow us to include them all under one joint account, but it seems it's their policy that the Marriott account ownership and the deeded ownership much exactly match.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would update the Marriott info so everyone can get access if they need to and avoid guest certificates if you exchange through II or if you add another week later.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott can link the two owner numbers together and save you the trouble of the correction although if you are keeping long term it is probably better to correct it.

I have loads and loads of units in just my name and some in me and my wife's name. I have two owner numbers but Marriott has them linked. I can even see both numbers when I log in but all of my units show as one for me to manage.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott can link the two owner numbers together and save you the trouble of the correction although if you are keeping long term it is probably better to correct it.

I have loads and loads of units in just my name and some in me and my wife's name. I have two owner numbers but Marriott has them linked. I can even see both numbers when I log in but all of my units show as one for me to manage.
We have 3 MVC Owner numbers (a historical quirk) some with me as the Primary and my wife as the Secondary, others with my wife as the Primary and me as the Secondary.
We also had them linked to be able to have a single access, which works well for most but not all things we want to do in managing our account.
It did take almost 6 months of to and fro communications to achieve this a few years ago.
Hopefully, they deal with this a lot easier now.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
When I owned a week jointly with my brother, I could access it in my same MVCI account as the weeks I held jointly with my wife. She could only access the joint weeks in her account, which makes sense. My brother could access the week he held with me in his account. This seems simple and I had no issues and did not need to do anything special to make this happen. I no longer own a week jointly with my brother so this goes back about 5 years.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Wife and I had same problem and it was a hassle having two different acct numbers. What we did was to rectify the situation, was purchase a quit-claim deed form from Staples (about $20.00) filled out all the pertinent info yourself, (adding her name), then bring it to the W. Palm Beach Clerk of deeds. They notarized/recorded it and it was mailed to Marriott. It took several months for them (Marriott) to change things over...but it was solved inexpensively.
Some will say that you should go through an attorney, (and that's fine) but I know that what I described does work. The proof of it is... that I ultimately sold that unit with no problems using the quit-claim deed.
Good Luck
Mike
PS: the whole hassle was because her name was first on 3 deeds, and my name was first on one deed. ....Geeez..

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Thought I would bump this thread with my own experience. Took a few weeks, but Marriott made it work.
This is going to be a bit long, and all the deeds I am going to refer to are resales...

5 years ago purchased a Ko Olina week with two names on deed - Mine and my wife's. Was given Marriott Account "XXXXXXX"
A year later I purchased a second Ko Olina week as a surprise for my wife. Had only my name on the deed. Was given Marriott Account "YYYYYYY".
This made it very difficult for me to use my ability to reserve 13 months out, because when I would call owner services they wouldn't let me reserve 13 weeks out because the weeks had to be on the same exact account.
After a few calls and complaints, they merged two deeds into one account. It took a LOT of transfers to lots of departments.
Behind the scenes, there were still two account numbers. What they did was make it so I could log into one account and see both deeds.
This seemed to work great.
I was able to actually log into either account and see both units on each.
This worked great for years.

I then purchased more weeks...

A few months ago I purchased two Waiohai weeks, again under just my name on the deed.
They gave me a NEW Marriott Account "ZZZZZZZZ"
So now I could log into account XXXXXX or YYYYYY and see the Ko Olina weeks.
I could only see the Waiohai under ZZZZZZZ. I lived with this for a couple of months. After all I could reserve Ko Olina 13 months out on one account and Waiohai 13 months out on the other. Inconvenient, but I get the benefits.

I then purchased a third and final Waiohai purchase (also just my name on the deed).
Out of nowhere on this final week was added to my account XXXXXXX.

So I now had these three accounts:
XXXXXXX - Could see two Ko Olina weeks + 1 Waiohai
YYYYYYYY - Could see two Ko Olina weeks + 1 Waiohai
ZZZZZZZ - Could see two Waiohai weeks

I contacted Marriott and asked that these all be aliased to my master account. Their first response was NO. not only that., but they noticed that the two Ko Olina weeks had different deed names, so they wanted to separate those two weeks.

Seeing this begin to completely unravel, I pleased with them to just give me a SINGLE account where I could see all 5 weeks. All I wanted to do was be able to use the 13 month rule to call and have the telephone rep on the other end see all 5 weeks on one account.

Then a miracle happened, and I can now see all 5 weeks on the XXXXXXX account.
In fact, I cannot even log onto the YYYYYYY or ZZZZZZZ account any more (that worries me a bit, but I'm Ok with it).

So Marriott CAN make this work.
You just have to get the person who will spend the time to actually make it work.

The difficulty here is that this department of Marriott is "MVCI Owner Modifications". There is no telephone number for this department. You are at their mercy, and the only way to get to them is E-mail. I always just replied on the Email they used to contact me when new weeks were to be added to Marriott.

They always give you a boilerplate excuse as to why what you want cannot be done. Be persistent.