• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach in April?

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of going Spring Break 2009 (mid April) to one of the above. My question is, is it usually warm enough to swim then?

Thanks!

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
hilton head or myrtle beach

Hi all,

Thinking of going Spring Break 2009 (mid April) to one of the above. My question is, is it usually warm enough to swim then?

Thanks!

If you are talking the last week of April in Hilton Head, you have about a 25% chance of the water being warm enough to swim. Any earlier, or ANY April in Myrtle Beach, IMHO, NO WAY.

jfitz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Only if you are 10 years old or younger. The Atlantic is still chilly, if not downright cold, anywhere north of Daytona Beach in mid April.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you're ok with swimming in a heated pool instead. Many of the resorts on HHI and, I imagine, Myrtle Beach, have heated pools that would be fine for swimming anytime in April.

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. That's what I meant. Swimming in the pool. Will the air temp be warm enough for us not to freeze when we get out of the pool. THanks!

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Myrtle can be downright warm this time of year. It can also be chilly. I believe the average is mid to upper 70s now.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We'll be in Hilton Head next week. I've been watching both the air and ocean temps for the last week or so. Seems average day time temps have been 70's to 80's and ocean temps have been in the mid 70's. IMO, mid 70's for ocean temps would be brisk but doable.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Myrtle can be downright warm this time of year. It can also be chilly. I believe the average is mid to upper 70s now.

You will need an indoor pool. March and April have been very windy. Temps have been all over the place. Two weeks ago we went down into the 30's at night in and around M B. The days were in the 50 and 60's. Today was about 75. Sat will be 82. Mon and Tues were cold during the day this week.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need an indoor pool. March and April have been very windy. Temps have been all over the place. Two weeks ago we went down into the 30's at night in and around M B. The days were in the 50 and 60's.

We travel to HHI over Xmas break every year. Temps at that time of year are often the same as above, or only slightly warmer. We always swim in the outdoor pools. In fact, some of our favorite swimming time is in the evenings, about 9 PM or so. And I'm not the hardy type - I get cold very easily.

I have also been swimming in the outdoor pool at Marriott's Ocean Watch in MB in November quite a few times.

The key is how warm the resort keeps their outdoor pools. Also, you can't get in and out. Once you get in, you swim for a while. When I get out, I wrap in a towel and head for the hot tub, which is usually only a few steps away. I actually plan where I get out - closest exit to hot tub - and dear Hubby, who is much hardier, brings me my towel. :whoopie: After being in the hot tub for 15-20 minutes, body temp rises enough that air actually feels good as I dry with towel just enough to stop dripping and pull on an old pair of warm, comfy sweats.

In fact, one year over our Xmas break trip, we stayed at Marriott's Barony Beach on HHI. We did the above routine every night until the pool closed at 10 PM, for the whole week we were there. Besides the massages that we got, our nightly swim was the highlight of our trip. It was just so fun and relaxing. :D