• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helping my aunt selling her timeshare at Grandview

BeeE

Reaction score
Just wondering, based on your experience, you think that 49,000 points can use for any resort?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Just wondering, based on your experience, you think that 49,000 points can use for any resort?

It depends on several things. Where do you live? Are there places you would like to visit that you can drive to within say 6-8 hours? How flexible are you in being able to take vacation time say within the last 3-5 weeks before the check in dates? My husband finally retired in February but he set his own work schedule even when he was working so we have always been able to take advantage of the discounted point weeks that are available in the last 2-5 weeks before check in. Actually you can find those discounted point weeks even in the last week before check in. Those weeks are 4900, 6000, 7500 and 9000 points. Most of them are 7500 points. There will be some resorts that you would need more points to stay in but there is a large number of resorts that you could get two weeks out of the number of points you will have. Remember you can borrow points from the next year or rent points if you don't have enough to book a stay you really want. You pay a $239 exchange fee when you book a week with your points.

We are currently staying in Orlando at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a two bedroom deluxe unit for one of those 7500 point weeks. This is a very desirable resort and we got into Tower 5 in a unit that over looks the lake and the lazy river, so got in one of my two favorite buildings out of the six buildings here and got the view everyone wants. Twice in the last several months we've stayed at Reunion resort, another very desirable resort here in Orlando, in those 7500 point weeks. In fact we have friends staying there this same week, checking out on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend for a 7500 point week. Reunion has a fantastic waterpark and all the units are 3 bedroom/three baths and have huge balconies.

And don't forgot those sale weeks. You don't use any points or pay an exchange fee just the sale price and tax. Right now there are two excellent sales going on that you can book a week for $30 or $35 a night with no points and there are dates open clear through December. I just grabbed a $30 a night week starting on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in a two bedroom unit at Silver Lake Resort in Orlando. I've heard great things about this resort from people here on TUG and someone I know who stayed there. I know where it is located and it is very, very close to Animal Kingdom in particular and convenient to lot of restaurants, Walmart and a Publix grocery store. All the Disney parks will be decorated for Christmas by then. Then I grabbed the following week in a two bedroom unit in a $35 a night sale week at a resort that gets good reviews in Branson, MO. For several years we've been wanting to go to Branson for the Christmas shows. I can never find cheap flights out of the Fort Lauderdale airport to Branson but I frequently see cheap flights out of Orlando so this will work out great for us. The week in Branson will be our Christmas present to ourselves.

There are some places like Las Vegas, Branson, Orlando that you can always find stays, discounted points, last minute stays and sale weeks. If you wanted to go to one of these locations you could go ahead and book the flights if you found cheap flights and be confident of finding a stay. Airlines will let you cancel within 24 hours and you can also cancel an RCI reservation by midnight ET of the day following the day you booked it. That gives you some wiggle room in trying to make things work.

If you look in the marketplace adds here on TUG and also on eBay you will see that some owners are selling points they can't use. For a fee you can transfer points from one owner to another. You aren't buying their deed just the points. If some year you needed more points for something you were wanting to do that would take more points than you have you could always buy points from another owner. I considered doing this as the price asked is usually right around what the maintenance fees are for us so not a bad deal. However I ended up just buying another week as I could see that we would use the points every year if I did. If once you've started using the points you find that you want more you can easily find another Grandview deed that someone is giving away. Unfortunately there are a number of people like you and your aunt who don't know the value of what they have or never used it. I'm so glad we here on TUG and your friend were able to convince you to keep this. There are also people giving away deeds, sometimes even paying the closing costs themselves, who used what they own in the past but are no longer able to do so.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Maybe I’m missing something but didn’t you mention early on that this was not an RCI points week? If that is the case then you do not have 49,000 RCI points. What you would have is a regular RCI account in which your week would be assigned TPUs. Not only would that make a difference on how you use RCI but may also impact your decision to accept the timeshare.

From your earlier post

1. Their timeshare is fixed weeks/annual
2. 1 bedroom 800 sqf
3. No points weeks. They have the RCI account, but it was inactive since 2016. So she does not have any point weeks.They said that she could renew it with $99, but They will have to start over with collecting all the weeks point again. Is this true statement?

Last edited:

BeeE

Reaction score
WOW Jan, I am so jealous. Seems that you have traveled around the country and enjoy life. We wish we would be traveling around the country too when we retire.

We live in Oregon and I am stay-home mom. I just quit a job to take care a baby and one of my goal this year is to travel more with the kids, so hopefully this timeshare will help me fullfill my goal :)

The trip schedule would be only my husband, but it depends on his schedule if he can take off. From what I read threads, it seems that timeshare will need to have plan ahead and in details.

Thanks for all the points info. I will keep you update what I find out and in the meantime I will shoot you a message here or private message if I have other questions.

Bee

BeeE

Reaction score
Maybe I’m missing something but didn’t you mention early on that this was not an RCI points week? If that is the case then you do not have 49,000 RCI points. What you would have is a regular RCI account in which your week would be assigned TPUs. Not only would that make a difference on how you use RCI but may also impact your decision to accept the timeshare.

From your earlier post

1. Their timeshare is fixed weeks/annual
2. 1 bedroom 800 sqf
3. No points weeks. They have the RCI account, but it was inactive since 2016. So she does not have any point weeks.They said that she could renew it with $99, but They will have to start over with collecting all the weeks point again. Is this true statement?

Yes, they don't have the points right now. But what I talked to Grandview and they said that there is one exception that they can deposit the points to RCI if their week has passed.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they don't have the points right now. But what I talked to Grandview and they said that there is one exception that they can deposit the points to RCI if their week has passed.
I think you may not be clear that the Grandview week can either be a traditional week, which will translate to TPUs - points in the RCI Weeks system or have been converted to RCI Points in RCI Points system. You need to find out what the ownership is.

BeeE

Reaction score
I think you may not be clear that the Grandview week can either be a traditional week, which will translate to TPUs - points in the RCI Weeks system or have been converted to RCI Points in RCI Points system. You need to find out what the ownership is.[/C

that's possible that I miight be clear about it. :(

Can you please help explain more a bit about Tranditional Week and TPU's (is it Trading powder...?). How are different between TPU's and converted to RCI Points?

Confused now. thank you!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
If you don't pay the $99 to get back the week into points you will be stuck with a fixed week. If you didn't want to use that week you would deposit it for trade and get TPU's, trading power units. How many you would get would depend on how far in advance you deposited your week.

My sister and BIL are fixed week owners and we see much more available to pick from as points owners. My sister and I have been logged in at the same time so I know how much more I see than she does.

Some people have fixed weeks at resorts and a time of year you would likely never find a reservation for unless you were very lucky. It is somewhere they want to go every year for that week. Grandview isn't a resort you would ever need to own a fixed week at.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

As you are now aware there are two different ways to use RCI. One is a traditional RCI account in which you own a deeded week that is aligned with RCI. You join RCI and it allows you to deposit your week for TPUs, or trading power units. You can use these points to exchange into other resorts that had been deposited to RCI. Your TPUs will vary based on your resort, what week you deposit and how far out you deposit. As long as you pay your membership fee you have the option to deposit your week in exchange for TPUs. Someone could check for you but I would think a Grandview deeded week would not result in very many TPUs if deposited to RCI.

The other is RCI Points. To be eligible for RCI Points one would have had to pay about $3000 to convert that deeded week to RCI Points. You have a set amount of points to use each year. While I don’t have an RCI Points account I believe the process is that your points are given to you automatically every year. If you want to use your deeded week instead you have to call the resort to advise them.

The currency is not the same between TPUs and RCI Points. You cannot use TPUs for a Points week. TPUs are generally in the “tens” while RCI Points are in the “thousands”.

I can’t say for certain but I suspect that what you have is a traditional RCI account. This would be worth much less than an RCI Points account. The only way to know for sure exactly what you have is for your resort or RCI to clarify for you. Wish you luck!

BeeE

Reaction score
Hi! Its me again :)

Do I need to get Estopple letter? I did some research and seems that it is better to get one. Do you now where I can get it? I called Grandview. They said they don't provide it.

thank you!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Hi! Its me again :)

Do I need to get Estopple letter? I did some research and seems that it is better to get one. Do you now where I can get it? I called Grandview. They said they don't provide it.

thank you!

Unless you plan to sell or give this away to someone else in the very near future you don't need an estoppel letter. Any letter you get now wouldn't be current down the road so of no use. Since you can log into Daily Management's website you are able to see if any back maintenance fees are owed. Grandview hasn't had any special assessments. If you are taking your aunt and uncle off the deed and transferring it to you any loans they might still have from when they bought it would have to be satisfied before it could be transferred. Do you know if they paid for this or if money is still owed? Given their age i would think it's paid for.

I believe you would contact the board of the resort for an estoppel letter if you should ever need one in the future.

BeeE

Reaction score
Yes, they already paid off...it seems that I don't need it now then. Thanks Jan.

I am still waiting for the deed from the county (I need some info from the deed) and will do fill in the QuitClaim Deed Form soon. :)

Thanks again!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Yes, they already paid off...it seems that I don't need it now then. Thanks Jan.

I am still waiting for the deed from the county (I need some info from the deed) and will do fill in the QuitClaim Deed Form soon. :)

Thanks again!

Did you contact the resort to start the process to get the week back into points yet?

BTW if you can log into RCI you can take a look at those $30 and $35 a night sale weeks. It is my understanding that any reservations will transfer if you are transferring the account.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
You should contact VV they have resorts all over the US. You can exchange internally with them. Much cheaper than RCI and the resorts are nice.
We are staying at one now Berkshire Mountain Lodge in MA. Very nice. We also enjoy VV at Weston, Fl.
Before you convert with RCI, talk to Vacation Village. They may offer you the best options for your week.
Silentg

BeeE

Reaction score
Did you contact the resort to start the process to get the week back into points yet?

BTW if you can log into RCI you can take a look at those $30 and $35 a night sale weeks. It is my understanding that any reservations will transfer if you are transferring the account.

No, I have not done it yet. I am planning that I should put my name on the deed first and later add my name into her RCI account. In order to add my name in her account, I need to get a deed with my name and a letter saying that her husband has passed away. So, I do not need to pay a new RCI membership fee.

Is there any negative if I add the week back into the points later?

BeeE

Reaction score
You should contact VV they have resorts all over the US. You can exchange internally with them. Much cheaper than RCI and the resorts are nice.
We are staying at one now Berkshire Mountain Lodge in MA. Very nice. We also enjoy VV at Weston, Fl.
Before you convert with RCI, talk to Vacation Village. They may offer you the best options for your week.
Silentg

Thank you for the tip! :)

BeeE

Reaction score
No, I have not done it yet. I am planning that I should put my name on the deed first and later add my name into her RCI account. In order to add my name in her account, I need to get a deed with my name and a letter saying that her husband has passed away. So, I do not need to pay a new RCI membership fee.

Is there any negative if I add the week back into the points later?

ohh is it because I have a chance to book a hotel during the sale weeks? hmm good idea let me ask RCI if I can use later after adding my name on her RCI accout.

Anyway, do you know how to notorize the quitclaim deed form if me and my aunt live in the different states? sorry, but I never done it if we live different states. Thank you@

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
ohh is it because I have a chance to book a hotel during the sale weeks? hmm good idea let me ask RCI if I can use later after adding my name on her RCI accout.

Anyway, do you know how to notorize the quitclaim deed form if me and my aunt live in the different states? sorry, but I never done it if we live different states. Thank you@

You can't book hotels with sale weeks. I'm not sure if you understand that timeshare resorts are different from hotels. You can book a fully furnished a hotel unit, studio unit, one bedroom unit or two bedroom unit, think condos, at a number of resorts with the sale weeks. I don't think you will find a three bedroom unit in the sale weeks. There aren't many resorts with hotel type units and they might only have a mini fridge and maybe a microwave.

AAA if you belong or your bank would have a notary.

The resort or was it RCI offered your aunt not necessarily you a one time deal to pay $99 to get that week back into points. That offer may only extend to your aunt as the original owner. You need to get that done now before you transfer anything.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I still suggest that the OP should verify exactly what type of RCI account this is. If this is a traditional RCI membership with TPUs versus an RCI Points account than it has much less value and may not be the right fit for the OP. A standard Grandview week may also be difficult to give away. Before getting on the deed I think the OP needs to know exactly what it is they are signing up for.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I still suggest that the OP should verify exactly what type of RCI account this is. If this is a traditional RCI membership with TPUs versus an RCI Points account than it has much less value and may not be the right fit for the OP. A standard Grandview week may also be difficult to give away. Before getting on the deed I think the OP needs to know exactly what it is they are signing up for.

She and her aunt already talked to both the resort and RCI. This was purchased as points and they were told by the resort that for $99 they will reinstate it as points and reactivate the account. The aunt let things lapse after her husband passed in 2016 and the resort made what sounded like a one time offer to help her out. That is why I have been telling BeeE. to get this done asap while it is still in her aunt's name. I'm not sure from what she posted that the offer will extend to her once it is transferred.

BeeE

Reaction score
Thanks so much Jan. I will contact RCI to reactivate the account before it transfers.

Will let you know how it goes. :)

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
She and her aunt already talked to both the resort and RCI. This was purchased as points and they were told by the resort that for $99 they will reinstate it as points and reactivate the account. The aunt let things lapse after her husband passed in 2016 and the resort made what sounded like a one time offer to help her out. That is why I have been telling BeeE. to get this done asap while it is still in her aunt's name. I'm not sure from what she posted that the offer will extend to her once it is transferred.

If you and Bee are comfortable with it then that is good enough for me. I bring this up only because while I see that the OP stated she spoke with RCI it is still unclear as to whether or not this was all about TPU Points or RCI Points.

No point weeks. They have the RCI account, but it was inactive since 2016. So she does not have any point weeks.They said that she could renew it with $99, but They will have to start over with collecting all the weeks point again. Is this true statement?”

The only mention of this having 49,000 RCI Points is from you, not the OP. Maybe there is more to these posts but for me I don’t see anything posted here that would make me know with 100% certainty that this is truly RCI Points. For someone new to all this it just might be easy to not fully understand what RCI is saying. Since the OP is talking about getting on the deed before reinstating the RCI account she just may be in for a surprise.

I wish the best for the OP and hope I am wrong.

BeeE

Reaction score
If you and Bee are comfortable with it then that is good enough for me. I bring this up only because while I see that the OP stated she spoke with RCI it is still unclear as to whether or not this was all about TPU Points or RCI Points.

No point weeks. They have the RCI account, but it was inactive since 2016. So she does not have any point weeks.They said that she could renew it with $99, but They will have to start over with collecting all the weeks point again. Is this true statement?”

The only mention of this having 49,000 RCI Points is from you, not the OP. Maybe there is more to these posts but for me I don’t see anything posted here that would make me know with 100% certainty that this is truly RCI Points. For someone new to all this it just might be easy to not fully understand what RCI is saying. Since the OP is talking about getting on the deed before reinstating the RCI account she just may be in for a surprise.

I wish the best for the OP and hope I am wrong.
Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, I am also afraid will come up with any surprise after transfer the deed as I am so new with this.

Let me call them again.

Does anyone know what forum they talk about the transferable paperwork? I am filli g out the quitclaim deed form now but called Clark county asked about my deceased uncle who also in the deed. Clark county said I need to fill in another form to remove his name from the deed but they cannot advice any legal...so i need to figue this out :(

Thanks

BeeE

Reaction score

Called RCI. She has week point program that are able to do with TPUs.