• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan RM - whats with the pools?

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just back from Cancun over the Christmas/NY break. We spent the first part of the vacation in Westin Lagunamar, and the second part at the Vidanta GM at Riviera Maya.

So most of what I read about the Grand Mayan was absolutely correct, the room was fantastic and the grounds were great. Food was good but pricey, sales was pushy, and they did everything they could to keep us in the resort, including making parking a huge hassle.

But my beef was with the pools. Even though the pools looked great, the water was freezing! And not the "get in and you will get used to it" cold - it literally was 72 degrees! Also, there are no hot tubs! Again, that baffled me! Huge pools, spent a lot of $ and effort to make it look good, but not even a token try to make the water inviting... it was a big disappointment for me and my family, especially after the fantastic pools at the Lagunamar.

I figure the pools are so large that they don't heat it. But - and this is the reason for the post - I was surprised that this had not been mentioned in any TUG post... usually most pros/cons for each resort are so hashed out that the pool situation took me aback.

Was my experience just a one time random fluke? Do most people not find the water cold? I would honestly have not come to this resort if I had known about the pool/hottub situation.

Ok, I will stop the rant. It was a nice vacation.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
I am just back from Cancun over the Christmas/NY break. We spent the first part of the vacation in Westin Lagunamar, and the second part at the Vidanta GM at Riviera Maya.

So most of what I read about the Grand Mayan was absolutely correct, the room was fantastic and the grounds were great. Food was good but pricey, sales was pushy, and they did everything they could to keep us in the resort, including making parking a huge hassle.

But my beef was with the pools. Even though the pools looked great, the water was freezing! And not the "get in and you will get used to it" cold - it literally was 72 degrees! Also, there are no hot tubs! Again, that baffled me! Huge pools, spent a lot of $ and effort to make it look good, but not even a token try to make the water inviting... it was a big disappointment for me and my family, especially after the fantastic pools at the Lagunamar.

I figure the pools are so large that they don't heat it. But - and this is the reason for the post - I was surprised that this had not been mentioned in any TUG post... usually most pros/cons for each resort are so hashed out that the pool situation took me aback.

Was my experience just a one time random fluke? Do most people not find the water cold? I would honestly have not come to this resort if I had known about the pool/hottub situation.

Ok, I will stop the rant. It was a nice vacation.

we went in May last year. found them cool but not cold. they likely do not heat pools and let the sun do the work.

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
Before they built the Beach Club there were a couple of round hot pools. I thought there was a hot pool in the Sanctuary area.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am just back from Cancun over the Christmas/NY break.
But my beef was with the pools. Even though the pools looked great, the water was freezing! And not the "get in and you will get used to it" cold - it literally was 72 degrees!

It was a nice vacation.

Surface water temp. in Lake Huron ( & other Great Lakes ) peaks at approx 72 F in mid August and wavy/ windy days tend to bring up cooler water from the bottom .
So - not too cool for us .

We have experienced Vidanta pools in NV / PV . ( Feb / March / April - depending on the visit ) and thought the water temperature was fine .

I guess it depends on your comparison .

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
I remember the pools in Vidanta RM being cool too. Just returning from a trip to GM NV in December we discovered the MP pool to appear the coolest (its also the largest) while the GM pools appear to have been heated. Wonder if they also employ their caste system with the pools?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The pools are generally cool or cold - I prefer warmer than any of the Mayan World pools that I have been in during winter months. It always seemed to me that the higher level of the large Mayan Palace pool at RM was warmer than the lower levels probably because it had less surface area.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember the pools in Vidanta RM being cool too. Just returning from a trip to GM NV in December we discovered the MP pool to appear the coolest (its also the largest) while the GM pools appear to have been heated. Wonder if they also employ their caste system with the pools?

The GM pool is quite shallow in parts because it's zero entry. I think it probably heats up faster from the sun because of that.

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP here - you'r right different strokes and all that. The lake comment made me laugh - my husband made the same comment - that this temperature at the cape would be considered warm - and then he added - in June. A couple of years ago we stayed at the Malaga Marriott timeshare in Spain in April, and they also had really COLD pools, and the management told us that Spanish pools had to be at 72 degrees by law. Not sure I believed him!