• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice needed: Bought two bedroom SDO but transferred two (one bedrooms)

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I could use some advice on what you would do if you found yourself in my situation. I found a timeshare on Redweek listed as a 2 bedroom Sheraton Desert Oasis Platinium week (1-21, 51/52) and jumped on it as they were giving it away with 2016 MF paid. I acquired this property for both trading (through II) as well as personal use at the resort.

When the title was transferred into my name, I see that they actually gave me separate 1 bedroom units bundled together to make a two bedroom property (1 small bedroom and one premium 1 bedroom).

So, I will be paying $300 more a year for two separate 1 bedrooms that make up a two bedroom). I also don't like the fact that I can't get a 2 bedroom unit easily (for Spring Training). Because if you don't reserve within the first two minutes of the window opening, you can't get a room (in March). Practically impossible if I have to do two transactions as I essentially have two different rooms.

What would you do as the paperwork clearly shows this was a 2 bedroom unit?

I guess I have two options, undo the whole transaction and give it back or keep the two individual weeks. Is there a market for 1 bedroom platinum units? I want to make sure I can easily unload these if I want to in the future. I know the trading power is higher for a platinum week, but is it worth $300 more a year?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did you request an estoppel letter from Vistana, before you proceeded with the purchase? An estoppel letter documents what you are buying, and protects you from situations like this.

This is a rip-off: I would go back to the seller and tell them I want a 2 bdm., or a full refund - PERIOD.

BTW - there is no way this can be construed as a 2 bdm. If you made a reservation, Vistana would give you 2 separate reservations, with 0 guarantee that they would be attached.

Last edited:

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Is it possible this is a 2bd/lockoff. 1studio and 1 premium villa. Don't know much about SDO just thought I'd throw that out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is it possible this is a 2bd/lockoff. 1studio and 1 premium villa. Don't know much about SDO just thought I'd throw that out.

No - With Vistana, it must be deeded as one 2 bdm. unit. This is 2 separate units, and when reserved, will generate 2 separate confirmations.

Last edited:

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Hello,

When the title was transferred into my name, I see that they actually gave me separate 1 bedroom units bundled together to make a two bedroom property (1 small bedroom and one premium 1 bedroom).

So, I will be paying $300 more a year for two separate 1 bedrooms that make up a two bedroom). I also don't like the fact that I can't get a 2 bedroom unit easily (for Spring Training). Because if you don't reserve within the first two minutes of the window opening, you can't get a room (in March). Practically impossible if I have to do two transactions as I essentially have two different rooms.

What would you do as the paperwork clearly shows this was a 2 bedroom unit?

Not sure what paperwork but they state 2 bdrm
This was "bundled" "1 small ( studio) and 1 premium"
MFs on a LO would be higher than a standard 2 bdrm (300.00) right?

Just sounds like a LO to me. If that is the case it is a 2 bdrm and probably better off for trading purposes. It would be an easy mistake to make to not include LO in description and just put 2bdrm. I've seen more egregious errors on timeshare adds. Here again just seems plausible

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just sounds like a LO to me. If that is the case it is a 2 bdrm and probably better off for trading purposes. It would be an easy mistake to make to not include LO in description and just put 2bdrm. I've seen more egregious errors on timeshare adds. Here again just seems plausible

This isn't correct - there is only one kind of 2-bdm. at this resort, and it's a lock-off.

With Vistana, you cannot take a small one bedroom deed, and a large one bedroom deed, and create a 2 bdm. deed - it doesn't work that way.

Yes, you could SELL them together, but that doesn't make them into a two bedroom deed.

The OP would have to reserve each one-bedroom unit separately and he would not be able to make a 2 bdm. reservation.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
DeniseM is correct (as usual)

We've stayed at SDO before (traded into) and have just closed on a 2BR platinum week ourselves.

The "Resale Information Sheet" (estoppel - in Vistana-speak) we received lists our unit as being 2 bedrooms - not separate one bedroom units.

I agree with DeniseM here - you've been sold a bill of goods and if/when this were to appear in your Vistana account it will show as two separate units. The additional fees would be the least of my worries - I think it will be more difficult to trade them as individual units - especially if you want a 2BR elsewhere (II upgrade fees?). Can't speak to resale value but I suspect it will be harder to unload as you'll have to find two individuals to take these off your hands.

One final thought - if you were ever considering doing a requal on this unit you would have to do two separate developer purchases to get the same Staroptions value (2BR = 148,100 vs 1BR Prem + 1BR = 81,000 + 67,100) as only one unit can be requalified per developer purchase (making this a minimum additional $40k proposition vs. $20k). Not sure if this would matter to you, but it is another negative in how this is structured.

Demand what you purchased otherwise unwind the transaction.

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at SDO before (traded into) and have just closed on a 2BR platinum week ourselves.

The "Resale Information Sheet" (estoppel - in Vistana-speak) we received lists our unit as being 2 bedrooms - not separate one bedroom units.

I agree with DeniseM here - you've been sold a bill of goods and if/when this were to appear in your Vistana account it will show as two separate units. The additional fees would be the least of my worries - I think it will be more difficult to trade them as individual units - especially if you want a 2BR elsewhere (II upgrade fees?). Can't speak to resale value but I suspect it will be harder to unload as you'll have to find two individuals to take these off your hands.

One final thought - if you were ever considering doing a requal on this unit you would have to do two separate developer purchases to get the same Staroptions value (2BR = 148,100 vs 1BR Prem + 1BR = 81,000 + 67,100) as only one unit can be requalified per developer purchase (making this a minimum additional $40k proposition vs. $20k). Not sure if this would matter to you, but it is another negative in how this is structured.

Demand what you purchased otherwise unwind the transaction.

Thank you everyone for all the replies. It is DEFINITELY not a 2 bedroom lockoff. We own 4 different 2 bedroom lockoffs. This is two different consecutive weeks with one being a premium 1 bedroom and the other being a regular 1 bedroom.

I wanted to get some opinions from Tuggers before I approached the seller/closing company. So, I am going to see how they handle it before I make any personal judgements. :)

As I always say, everyone can provide great customer service when things run smoothly. Only when an issue arises, do you really know the way companies value their customers.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yeah...this sounds like bad form. Get a refund and walk it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The closing company did exactly what you hoped, they worked with me and they took back the properties. They said they would look for a replacement week, but I am not holding my breath.

Just glad that they took it back!

Pmuppet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just remember if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is...

Agreed, though this wasn't an insane deal as I have heard of Platinum SDO units going for next to free. It isn't like we were talking week #52 at one of the Westin Maui properties. :)

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The closing company did exactly what you hoped, they worked with me and they took back the properties. They said they would look for a replacement week, but I am not holding my breath.

Just glad that they took it back!

:clap: Good to hear - even though it's disappointing not to get what you thought you were getting this is much better than being saddled with two units you don't want.