• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Why are both spouses required to attend?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered, why do both spouses have to attend a timeshare presentation? Surely, if I walked in and said I wanted to buy and sign on the dotted line they wouldn't refuse the money, right? Just curious because my husband refuses to go because of the hard sell but has no issues if I wanted to buy one. He just doesn't want to be bothered with it LOL!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Because a common excuse is, "I can't make a decision without consulting with my spouse."

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What Denise said. It eliminates the biggest excuse offered for why someone won't buy.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...but has no issues if I wanted to buy one.

I'm sure he would have issues if you bought one for about $15,000 when you could get one resale for pennies on the dollar. Or if you paid $15,000 for something based on a 90-minute presentation. People spend more time than that researching the purchase of a $100 camera.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I thought it was because it was easier to see which side to play when both husband and wife are there!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I thought it was because it was easier to see which side to play when both husband and wife are there!

That too. But the primary reason is so one can't use the aforementioned excuse. Besides, if the one spouse who did not attend is consulted in the decision-making process, that one would not have gone through the rigours of the TS sales presentation that intoxicates people into making foolish decisions (like paying thousands of dollars for something that can be had for next-to-free).

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure he would have issues if you bought one for about $15,000 when you could get one resale for pennies on the dollar. Or if you paid $15,000 for something based on a 90-minute presentation. People spend more time than that researching the purchase of a $100 camera.

That's true! But my husband knows I have been going researching on tug for 6+ months and learned through you all in Tug about resale and making informed decisions :whoopie:

Bought 2 timeshares since joining tug and happy with my purchases so far :)

Thanks TUG!!!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
They will give you a presentation without the spouse, they just won't offer any freebies. The first one I went to solo because they said it was just "an owners update", which of course was the first lie. It didn't take to long before the guy got mad at me for wasting his time because I had no plans to buy.

The second time I went solo it was beneficial for me and the sales guy. I think he was a rookie and got to practice his pitch. I got to see what they were selling which was $40K for one weeks worth of points :eek:

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
It worksthe other way too

When offered an "update' I will make myself available since I have been to a few that are an update but if they insist on my wife attending we both know what is coming and walk away.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years back I did get a gift ($100 Amex card) for going by myself at Wyndham Canterbury in San Francisco. I thought that would get me out of the "owner update" pressure, but they had no problem with me going by myself (DH did not go on that trip).

What really cracked me up about the "update" is she claimed I could not get into the new resorts like Canterbury with resale points, when obviously I was staying there on resale points!

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Because a common excuse is, "I can't make a decision without consulting with my spouse."

Or the risk incurred that one person buys, tells the other spouse who says NO and cancels the contract in the recinsion window.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few years back I did get a gift ($100 Amex card) for going by myself at Wyndham Canterbury in San Francisco. I thought that would get me out of the "owner update" pressure, but they had no problem with me going by myself (DH did not go on that trip).

What really cracked me up about the "update" is she claimed I could not get into the new resorts like Canterbury with resale points, when obviously I was staying there on resale points!

Maybe it has to do with how hungry the sales department is.

I have gone to them alone, even though my DH was with me on the vacation, at Wyndham's Nashville and Kingsgate/Governors Green resorts.

As I head out the door, we have a good laugh and make an "over/under" bet on how long before I get home WITH the gift. I think the record was 20" at Nashville.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I head out the door said:
Impressive! How did you manage that?

Sometimes I actually want to go to find out how their system works but will definitely not buy on the spot. So I need exit tips :)

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
MC also wanted two forms of ID. They suggest the second I'd be a credit card of course so that you can charge the down payment. I showed the receptionist my drivers license and student id. She asked if I happened to have any other id. I showered her my passport. Then she was very sheepish and asked if I had a credit card.

The funniest requirement to attend A MC presentation is that you not know any MC owners -- that way you won't know the real scoop on what's it like to be an owner

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Impressive! How did you manage that?

Sometimes I actually want to go to find out how their system works but will definitely not buy on the spot. So I need exit tips :)

At the time I/we owned a 3BR lockoff fixed week at Kingsgate; 2BR fixed week at Flagstaff; and a 1BR floating 1-52 on Waikiki. I was totally invested for around $6,000 and MF's of $1,250 . . . all via resale.

When he realized I wasn't buying whatever he had to sell, he knew to cut his time with me and hope to catch someone from the next scheduled time for the sales appointments. For this to work, you need to schedule for the first time of the morning (usually 8:00 or 8:30am) . . . that way they can still try to make some money on the 10am/10:30am group of appointments.

Really you just need to be strong and say NO.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other related aspect is why can single females go, but not single males?

If staying at resort not an issue, but if not staying there refuse to sign me up as too olde.

Wonder what ADA would say about this?

Think prior posts are right on about consulting spouse which would be de rigueur if spending a lot of money.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Once, we saw a product we were interested in at a local home-improvement show.
The contractor called to arrange a visit, but said that both of us had to be present.
Why? Because he needed both owners' signatures on the contract.

"Not gonn'a happen," I said and hung up.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many states have a right of rescission for in home sales pitches also.

Same logic - The whole model is built on a single step close, if the other half of the committee isn't present then the probability of the decision being vetoed is too high. despite the dynamics of any single relationship.

LadyBeBop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but don't both spouses have to sign the contract if the property is in a community property state (e.g. California, Nevada, Louisiana, Texas, Wisconsin and several others)? Or if the couple lives in a community property state?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Legally, no

but in most relationships, spouses don't make purchases of $10,000 to $30,000 or more without consensus.

With a right of rescission not having both spouses on board for the sizzle from the presentation dog and pony show, leads to a wasted presentation because "I need to discuss it with my spouse" is an objection that the salesman cannot be trained with a reversal to overcome on the spot (with more exaggerations).

The timeshare companies do not want anyone to have anytime to do any research before signing the contract - The whole sales model is built on the one pitch close.

So to be precise - it's a rule of their sales model, not a legal requirement

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe in Wisconsin the law requires the creditor to advise the "other spouse" if something has been bought by credit/loan by just one, or if a credit account has been opened (i.e., MC/VISA/Store accounts).

Tom3928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are 3 reasons

1) When we offer the free gift there's a chance that it will be something that one spouse wants while the other doesn't. The negative one will capitulate to keep the other happy and grab the tickets or whatnot and come on the tour.

2) Trying to make the sale is, believe it or not, easier when they both are there. They swear to each other on the bus to both say no, or play good cop/bad cop, but it's actually easier for me to make the sale by pitting one against the other and it works the same as the free gift, only with more zeros and a nice commission for me.

3) Sometimes (lots of times) one spouse might lack sufficient income to qualify on their own. A joint income can negate this problem.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Tom - you are responding to a post that is 4 years old. When you use the search function, please look at the date before responding.