• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to get to NYC Airports from Danbury CT?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even before I moved out of Queens to CT I knew this was going to be a challenge. So far we have managed.
I have a good friend that lives in Hewlett near JFK and we can drive and park at his house for long trips.

However I need to fly solo sometimes and get to the airports.

I can take the Metro North from Southeast near Brewster then from Grand Central take subway or get to Penn for the LIRR to the Airtrain in Jamaica.

There seems to be a CTLimo that picks up at some of the hotels in Danbury for a shared shuttle van. The reviews are horrific. But I have not yet tried them? One day I will have take a leap of faith.

If the MTA can ever get the East side access tunnel to Grand Central finished then I can take the LIRR into Grand Central.

Private car service is like $200. Amazing how airfare can be cheaper than ground transportation.
icon_mad.gif

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Airports do have these wonderful things called parking lots and garages. It looks like it is $18 a day for the economy lot at JFK. That is a little pricey as we often pay only about $6-$9 here in Ohio depending on the airport.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I lived in NY in Rockland County I always rented a car locally and dropped at JFK. On the return I would rent a car and return it locally. Depending on current car rental rates and the length of time you would be away it might be better to park at the airport or an offsite location.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have always gotten car service for vacations. Less stressful for us. Plus- especially if we fly out West- with the return trip and "losing" time, it is nice to have someone there waiting to drive you back home when you are exhausted.

We pay the money and chalk it up as part of the vacation expense. We try to save money elsewhere like on meals out and do free stuff on vacation as much as possible.

We have parked at the airports once or twice, but my husband doesn't like doing it.

Also- remember you can also use the airport at Stewart in Newburgh (a snap to park at)- though limited flight options there- or in Hartford I think there is one.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When I lived in NY in Rockland County I always rented a car locally and dropped at JFK. On the return I would rent a car and return it locally. Depending on current car rental rates and the length of time you would be away it might be better to park at the airport or an offsite location.

I grew up in Rockland County in Nanuet (Clarkstown)

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to be away longer than a week, I rent a car (in my area the choice is Budget or Avis) one-way to the airport for the departure and the same for the return. From mid-Connecticut to JFK the one-way rental runs between $90 and $140 including topping off the gas tank. For gas on the way to the airport there's an easy off/on from 678/Van Wyck to the BP station at Atlantic Avenue (easier than using the gas station inside JFK). The alternative is Uber, about $175 each way for my 90-mile trip.

(If you're renting from Budget or Avis book online in advance and do join the free Budget Fast Break/Avis Preferred program which lets you jump the long line to claim your car at the airport.)

Up to a week I drive my own car and pay to park at one of the privately owned lots near the airport.

Last edited:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
If you go to the Groupon website and type “JFK Airport Parking”, you will find companies that provide shuttle service to the airport (in Queens) that lets you park off-site in their parking lot and then shuttles you in to the airport. It’s cheaper than the airport parking.

Another alternative is to stay one night at a hotel either before or after your stay. They offer you free parking and have a van service that runs to JFK 24 hours a day. Not all hotels offer this. For more information try https://www.parksleepfly.com/
You could also call the hotels directly to see if they offer this.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies thus far. I don't necessarily need airport parking on or off site. If you read my OP I get free off site parking since I'm a good friend of mine lives near the airport.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long ago was it you lived in Rockland county? The car rental companies are hip to this idea. they charge a premium for a one-way rental nearby to the airport or from the airport to a local destination.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every year we travel in the winter for 3-5 weeks consecutively. I've tried a car service, staying at a hotel the night before the flight and leaving the car in the hotel parking lot, parking in an airport lot, parking in a commercial lot and shuttling to the airport. We settled on one way car rental each way, it's the cheapest and most convenient method IMO. This year the cost was about $125 R/T from 50 miles away in Suffolk to JFK.