• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

getting out of Westgate Resort TS after 3 mths

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
It really is not that easy. People not generally versed in or accustomed to the lying, high pressure tactics of this type of confrontation. And generally Aussies on vacation are just nicer, if not a bit more naive than Americans. The Wastegate succession of ever more clever weasels, smelling a sale, would say, 'just a few minutes more', or 'if you leave now you don't get the $100', remember that's why the OP went in the first place.

I find your comments offensive, that you are blaming the victims for what happened. They simply fell into a den of well-trained wolves, and then as the law requires were not shown the rescission instructions. I think they might have a case, on those grounds, to go to the Florida Attorney General. This is a long way from the first time we've heard the same story from Wastegate victims about the deceptive practices and the hidden pocket holding the rescission instructions.

It's high time for them to be exposed and taken down. I hope someone can do it.

Jim

Hmmmmmmm! I only repeated what the OP stated or I highlighted their own text. They wanted a $100 gift card. They spent 5 hours in the TS sales meeting. They paid $19,000 for a 2-BR TS. And I made the comment that "WOW, that's one expensive $100 gift card.", which it was/is.

Sometimes, the truth hurts. :bawl:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
So maybe I should just suck it up and take my medicine, expensive as it may be! I could pay my Maintenance Fees and taxes $925 US and deposit my week for exchange and choose somewhere nice for a holiday I suppose. Or apparently I can exchange my week for 2 short stays with Interval for up to 6 days each, or is that BS as well. Probably there will be a fee for that too!
You entered into a legal binding contract. Something concerning the TS interested you. Try using it. You paid for it.

You may have over-paid for it, based upon us who buy resale, but so did ten's of thousands of other timeshare buyers around the world. Have a cold one and plan your next vacation.

Last edited:

jolumamo

Reaction score
You entered into a legal binding contract. Something concerning the TS interested you. Try using it. You paid for it.

You may have over-paid for it, based upon us who buy resale, but so did ten's of thousands of other timeshare buyers around the world.

Just because tens of thousands of people were scammed out of their money doesn't make it sit any better with me. I am not sure why we didn't walk out after a few hours, and I agree we signed a contract, but what we signed up for is a long way from what we will get. I will take some time to think about our next move.

Last edited by a moderator:

jolumamo

Reaction score

You may have over-paid for it, based upon us who buy resale, but so did ten's of thousands of other timeshare buyers around the world. Have a cold one and plan your next vacation.

I don't think it sits any better with me knowing that so many people have been scammed out of their money. We did sign a contract, but not for what we ended up with.

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with some of the others above. Do some resarch and see if you can find an Australian Lawyer who has experience in this general topic. And, hopefully there is a way to get out of this that has low consequences. The sales folks did not play fair and I'm sure they misrepresented what they sold.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Old Razzle-Dazzle & Ballyhoo.

I am not sure why we didn't walk out after a few hours,
They wear you down via guilt-tripping & psychological manipulation & seemingly endless high-pressure tactics till you reach the point of diminished resistance. By then you are ready to acquiesce in just about anything -- anything ! -- to bring the nightmare experience to an end & get out of there at last. Looking around, seeing all those other owners out there who appear to be OK with what they bought after going through approximately what you went through, just how bad can it be, anyway ?

The answer is, plenty bad. But you might not find out how bad till after 3 months or so.

The premeditated biz plan of the timeshare companies is to subject you to all that high-pressure, truth-stretching razzle-dazzle & ballyhoo till you give in & sign on the line, hoping & praying you won't catch on that it's all shuck & jive till the brief cooling off period for rescission (a few days at most) is over. Then you're stuck good & hard.

All the timeshare companies do it that way, though some are worse than others. WestGate is widely regarded by many on TUG-BBS as operating down at the end of the spectrum.

Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money. Resale timeshares, by contrast (via eBay, RedWeek, etc., sold for nickels on the full-freight dollar) offer opportunities for years & years of luxury vacation accommodations at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

Click here for a golden oldie hypothetical nightmare scenario illustrating multiple overlapping layers of timeshare hornswoggle & bamboozle that the shady denizens of the timeshare world are still out there all ready to spring on the unwary.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cost of the uncollectible international default is built into the 50 % selling costs associated with developer sales. Besides they are still in active sales so Wastegate keeps what was paid and sells it again.

Defaulting on a maintenance fee obligation to a sold out resort, passes rgose costs to the other owners

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Click here[/URL] for a golden oldie hypothetical nightmare scenario illustrating multiple overlapping layers of timeshare hornswoggle & bamboozle that the shady denizens of the timeshare world are still out there all ready to spring on the unwary.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Since your article was written, another scam in the chain that could be added would be the supposed knights in shining armour who claim they can get your money back from the original scammers if you pay them...get this...an upfront fee.:wall:

tugnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to repair any credit damage within a few years and cheaper than $44,000. Walk away. Anyone who thinks that they are paying too much MF due to non-payers should also walk away. Any one who pays more MF than can rent the same place and can't sell should walk away.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
.... Anyone who thinks that they are paying too much MF due to non-payers should also walk away...

When the non payers at a resort become so numerous that it becomes a burden on the other owners, something is wrong at the resort.

I believe one of the main problems at some resorts is that there are so many really bad weeks that those owners are not getting the value they were promised by the original sales people.

They are walking away rather than paying for something they can't or don't want to use.

Should we just blame the "bad" week owners? No, I believe we need to share the blame for buying at a resort with bad weeks. What was I thinking when I bought a decent week knowing there were some real dog weeks there?

I wasn't thinking ahead, that's for sure. Now we are starting to see some of the problems with resorts that have these off season weeks.

Sure, people were promised that they could trade those dogs for larger luxury units. Well, that is being addressed by the exchange companies so it's getting harder and harder to do.

I don't know the answer to the problem but I can see the problem.

tugnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the non payers at a resort become so numerous that it becomes a burden on the other owners, something is wrong at the resort.

I believe one of the main problems at some resorts is that there are so many really bad weeks that those owners are not getting the value they were promised by the original sales people.

They are walking away rather than paying for something they can't or don't want to use.

Should we just blame the "bad" week owners? No, I believe we need to share the blame for buying at a resort with bad weeks. What was I thinking when I bought a decent week knowing there were some real dog weeks there?

I wasn't thinking ahead, that's for sure. Now we are starting to see some of the problems with resorts that have these off season weeks.

Sure, people were promised that they could trade those dogs for larger luxury units. Well, that is being addressed by the exchange companies so it's getting harder and harder to do.

I don't know the answer to the problem but I can see the problem.

Bad weeks have to be absorbed by good weeks. If that is not cost effective then the TS has no reason to exist an should be dissolved.

Here's what should happen. Get thousands of TS's off the market.
BOD should go into voluntary dissolution (kinda like chapter 11 restructure) prior to forced bankruptcy (Insolvency). Consolidate all deeds(ownerships) into wholly owned units and sell as wholly owned. Gets rid (permanently) of those timeshares. Maintain Owner control, don't allow huge Management company control. (see Consolidated Resorts Management thread for what not to allow)
Do not sell out to a TS management company as they will buy the MF
contracts and recycle the same old crap but will have control to perpetuate the tired old TS financial model.

jolumamo

Reaction score
Just to give you an update I have been posing some questions to Westgate Owner Relations about my new found knowledge, would appreciate your responses to their comments.

My 1st email:
Could you please explain to me how it is that I can purchase the same unit and week at Westgate Town Centre from a current owner advertising on the webfor US$900, when I paid app $20000?
WG 1st reply:
Please keep in mind those are third parties Westgate is not affiliated with and would not receive Developer benefits like you do.
My 2nd email:
What are “Developer Options”. I was told I could sell my week if I wanted, but it looks like it is nearly worthless, if someone can buy the exact same thing for 5% of the price we paid!
WG 2nd reply:
Please keep in mind that if they purchased from a 3rd party then they would not qualify for owner rental rates, owner referral program, and would pay an exchange that is currently USD $450 among other developer related benefits.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is common for Developers to give original purchasers extra perks. So, ask sales person why buy from him if when you sell these demise and destroy market value.

Would you even think about giving sales weasel a good friend's name so he can be subjected to torture.

If you figure you can earn around 10% on $20K or around $2,000 will come out way ahead of getting Developer perks worth a few bucks.

Short answer is no way can justify basic Developer purchase with over half your money going for sales expense that have NO value!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
"WG 2nd reply:
Please keep in mind that if they purchased from a 3rd party then they would not qualify for owner rental rates, owner referral program, and would pay an exchange that is currently USD $450 among other developer related benefits."

This is yet another thing that makes Wastegate worthless. The benefits of an owner don't even pass along to a future owner. Along with this (and among the things they don't mention, is that future buyers can't book until 90 (or maybe it's 45) days before move in. Can you imaging what units are left at that late date!

I stick with my response from upthread. Take the bitter medicine and default. Offer them their deed back after they come begging or threatening. It will cost you some, but nowhere near $44,000.

Edited to add If you do this, they will take your down payment. It's lost. History. Wave bye bye. But unless you are planning to travel to the USA on LOTS of vacations over, say, the next 20+ years, it beats paying for this contract.

Best.... Jim

P.S. If you are contemplating any major purchases- home, car, have lots of credit card debt- take care of it before you initiate the default. Your interest may be hard to get or more expensive.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
"WG

Along with this (and among the things they don't mention, is that future buyers can't book until 90 (or maybe it's 45) days before move in. Can you imaging what units are left at that late date!

P.S. If you are contemplating any major purchases- home, car, have lots of credit card debt- take care of it before you initiate the default. Your interest may be hard to get or more expensive.

With PH it is 60 days for weeks 1-50. From other posts understand Wastegate is trying to alter older contracts that do not have in Governing Documents.

Second Jim on credit. GF defaulted on loan and MF and they zinged her FICO score over 200 points, but did take back when she advised filing for bankruptcy. Fortunately did not call her bluff and assume they just resold and had her down payment!

jolumamo

Reaction score
"WG 2nd reply:
Please keep in mind that if they purchased from a 3rd party then they would not qualify for owner rental rates, owner referral program, and would pay an exchange that is currently USD $450 among other developer related benefits."

This is yet another thing that makes Wastegate worthless. The benefits of an owner don't even pass along to a future owner. Along with this (and among the things they don't mention, is that future buyers can't book until 90 (or maybe it's 45) days before move in. Can you imaging what units are left at that late date!

I stick with my response from upthread. Take the bitter medicine and default. Offer them their deed back after they come begging or threatening. It will cost you some, but nowhere near $44,000.

Edited to add If you do this, they will take your down payment. It's lost. History. Wave bye bye. But unless you are planning to travel to the USA on LOTS of vacations over, say, the next 20+ years, it beats paying for this contract.

Best.... Jim

I would be more than happy to lose the deposit etc to get out of this. So far we have paid a deposit on the day of $2750 plus 3 monthly payments of $400. Next month $925 MF is due with $400 payment.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
There would be no mechanism for Westgate or the court system to report a default of the contract or foreclosure to an Australian, Canadian or even European Union Credit reporting agency.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
There would be no mechanism for Westgate or the court system to report a default of the contract or foreclosure to an Australian, Canadian or even European Union Credit reporting agency.

A good and valid point which the OP (who reportedly lives in Australia) should definitely take into account. More specifically, the OP might want to consider just flat out telling Westgate to go pound sand right now and voluntarily forfeit the deposit, putting not one more penny into the pockets of those thieves. Westgate Weasels will just casually shrug their shoulders, happily pocket the deposit --- and go right ahead and sell the very same "product" to the next willing sucker customer. Lesson learned, move on --- without pouring any more money into a nearly worthless "product". It was an unfortunate previous choice and decision, but we all make mistakes. Some have a cost.

Any choice or effort other than OP just cutting his / her losses and walking away right now, paying not another red cent in monthly payments or maintenance fees, but trying instead to somehow magically construct "a silk purse from a sow's ear", will ultimately be just a time consuming, expensive and frustrating exercise in futility, IMO.

This is just my own expressed personal opinion, neither constituting nor intending to in any way constitute, actual legal advice. YMMV.

Last edited:

jolumamo

Reaction score

This is an interesting point and I am asking some Australian legal people if this is actually the case. In fact I did read a section of our Credit reporting code that Australia does not list "foreign" debt or disclose Credit information to "foreign" companies, so I may have lucked out. Will keep you posted.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting point and I am asking some Australian legal people if this is actually the case. In fact I did read a section of our Credit reporting code that Australia does not list "foreign" debt or disclose Credit information to "foreign" companies, so I may have lucked out. Will keep you posted.

I LOVE IT when (if) a plan comes together!!! You might consider dropping any credit cards/bank accounts Wastegate has access to or ability to debit. In case you should want to buy another timeshare, buy resale. No credit check required on eBay.

Best of luck to ya!

BTW, we were in Melbourne in November, and found it a right pleasant place.

Jim

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
And for those indignant that the OP might consider defaulting

The cost of the uncollectible international defaultS is built into the 50 % selling costs associated with developer sales. Besides they are still in active sales so Wastegate keeps what was paid and sell it again.

Defaulting on a maintenance fee obligation to a sold out resort, passes those costs to the other owners, which would not be the case here, because the week would be returned to developer inventory to be sold as new again

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree with the above statement and if the OP would file a formal written complaint with FL state attorney general office about the high pressure sale to an international traveler . Westgate will cancel this contract.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Offering the OP false hope?

...if the OP would file a formal written complaint with FL state attorney general office about the high pressure sale to an international traveler . Westgate will cancel this contract.

I admire your optimism but, with due respect, it's naive to suggest or believe that Westgate might rescind a lawfully executed contract three months after the state law rescission period has passed.
Surely, Westgate is not going to just voluntarily "cancel" this contract (at least not in the sense of a rescission involving any refund of money; this is Westgate we're talking about here and that just ain't gonna happen). A release from the contract, maybe --- with Westgate keeping any and all monies paid to date, is very likely the OP's best (and maybe only) hope here.

The "international traveler" factor is completely irrelevant. Westgate sales tactics, albeit slimy, are nonetheless entirely lawful (even if unethical) and are exercised equally with (or upon) everyone.
Moreover, the OP is from a English-speaking country and is likely far more literate than many of the "English as a second language" U.S. resident candidates who have also willingly jumped into the Westgate sales shark tank and then freely and voluntarily signed a lawful and binding contract.

In my opinion, the best that the OP can possibly hope for is to unilaterally end the financial drain right now and formally request release from the contract (paying not another penny to Westgate and overtly informing Westgate of this clear intent), while understanding and acknowledging that there is little or no prospect of recovering any of the funds paid to date. While I'd certainly be delighted to be mistaken in my belief that there is really no chance of any "refunds" in this matter, I think it's imprudent to provide the OP with unfounded false hope for a different outcome, regardless of any "complaining" to the AG. The written contract terms and content, freely and voluntarily accepted under signature and not subsequently rescinded in timely fashion as allowed by law, is all that matters in the final analysis --- regardless of any totally meaningless verbal assertions from the mouths of deceitful sales weasels. The contract at issue was not subsequently rescinded within the time provided by applicable state law.
End of story.

Just my own viewpoint and personal opinion. OP should definitely seek and follow guidance from his / her own independently obtained legal counsel.

Last edited:

jolumamo

Reaction score
I admire your optimism but, with due respect, it's naive to suggest or believe that Westgate might rescind a lawfully executed contract three months after the state law rescission period has passed.
Surely, Westgate is not going to just voluntarily "cancel" this contract (at least not in the sense of a rescission involving any refund of money; this is Westgate we're talking about here and that just ain't gonna happen). A release from the contract, maybe --- with Westgate keeping any and all monies paid to date, is very likely the OP's best (and maybe only) hope here.

The "international traveler" factor is completely irrelevant. Westgate sales tactics, albeit slimy, are nonetheless entirely lawful (even if unethical) and are exercised equally with (or upon) everyone.
Moreover, the OP is from a English-speaking country and is likely far more literate than many of the "English as a second language" U.S. resident candidates who have also willingly jumped into the Westgate sales shark tank and then freely and voluntarily signed a lawful and binding contract.

In my opinion, the best that the OP can possibly hope for is to unilaterally end the financial drain right now and formally request release from the contract (paying not another penny to Westgate and overtly informing Westgate of this clear intent), while understanding and acknowledging that there is little or no prospect of recovering any of the funds paid to date. While I'd certainly be delighted to be mistaken in my belief that there is really no chance of any "refunds" in this matter, I think it's imprudent to provide the OP with unfounded false hope for a different outcome, regardless of any "complaining" to the AG. The written contract terms and content, freely and voluntarily accepted under signature and not subsequently rescinded in timely fashion as allowed by law, is all that matters in the final analysis --- regardless of any totally meaningless verbal assertions from the mouths of deceitful sales weasels. The contract at issue was not subsequently rescinded within the time provided by applicable state law.
End of story.

Just my own viewpoint and personal opinion. OP should definitely seek and follow guidance from his / her own independently obtained legal counsel.

Hi Theo,
Thanks for the information, do you think all this could be done via email or should be done via snail mail, maybe registered mail or certified mail.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to advise you to walk out on the debt but if everyone like you did just that they'd stop these predatory practices. Personally, I think I'd just stop paying regardless of the consequences to my credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also reluctantly agree. $44,000 literally wasted is just too much to say "live & learn". Hopefully the consequences are less as it isn't US law. Good luck.