• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I've got the "Timeshare Bug" again

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm catching up here on TUG, and I made the mistake of checking the Bargain Board. Now, my addiction to buying timeshares has returned. And, I'm not just "jonesing" for a cheap timeshare. Nope. I'm thinking how much I'd like to buy a Disney Vacation Club contract at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Or, maybe some Marriott points. And a free timeshare or two.

I remember that, years ago, many of us would lament our timeshare addictions. I think the Great Recession and its plunge in timeshare prices cured many of us of the addiction. But, the economy has improved, and now my timeshare cravings are back!

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
I'm catching up here on TUG, and I made the mistake of checking the Bargain Board. Now, my addiction to buying timeshares has returned. And, I'm not just "jonesing" for a cheap timeshare. Nope. I'm thinking how much I'd like to buy a Disney Vacation Club contract at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Or, maybe some Marriott points. And a free timeshare or two.

I remember that, years ago, many of us would lament our timeshare addictions. I think the Great Recession and its plunge in timeshare prices cured many of us of the addiction. But, the economy has improved, and now my timeshare cravings are back!
I'm a Financial Security Advisor and I have to wonder...you say "the economy has improved...". I suggest you read this thread: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/buyers-market-coming-soon.283467/. It discusses the current economy...there are many (and differing) points of view and I agree that the economy "has" improved for the last several years, but as they say in my line of work: "Past performance is not indicative of future performance".

By all means, keep looking (that's what I am doing...), but if I were you, I would wait a little longer before acting on those cravings...

Cheers!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

What I have learned with my timeshare addiction is only acquire what you can use and what will be easy to find a new home for when you need to give it a new home. Free is only good if it meets both criteria’s and spending money is okay if you can afford it and realize when you no longer can use it you might not get what you spent, you might even have to give it away.

I focused my addiction on getting what I love to use. I have a few traders but would use them too. Still I find myself having too many good ones and will need to find some new homes in the coming year.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Judy, it's nice to see you here again. I think you have WorldMark, (when it was still Trendwest), and didn't you used to have MROP? I think we chatted about both of those, back in the day. I agree about the addiction - it's easy to fall into the "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality. You have a real benefit of knowing exactly how it works, and what to expect before you jump in. One advantage of being slightly battle scarred is that it makes you circumspect before plunging back in. :)

For me, all those Weeks ownerships I had came and went. I bought and sold a lot for resale stuff before deciding that Weeks just wasn't a long term fit for me. They were all sold off, and then I bought just WorldMark. It's working great for me so far, and I'm happy with how it's going. I see those bargains you're talking about, but so far, the bug hasn't bit me again. I'll leave them for you to enjoy. :)

Keep us posted on your finds!

Dave

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy, it's nice to see you here again. I think you have WorldMark, (when it was still Trendwest), and didn't you used to have MROP? I think we chatted about both of those, back in the day. I agree about the addiction - it's easy to fall into the "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality. You have a real benefit of knowing exactly how it works, and what to expect before you jump in. One advantage of being slightly battle scarred is that it makes you circumspect before plunging back in. :)

For me, all those Weeks ownerships I had came and went. I bought and sold a lot for resale stuff before deciding that Weeks just wasn't a long term fit for me. They were all sold off, and then I bought just WorldMark. It's working great for me so far, and I'm happy with how it's going. I see those bargains you're talking about, but so far, the bug hasn't bit me again. I'll leave them for you to enjoy. :)

Keep us posted on your finds!

Dave
Wow, Dave you remember me quite well! Yes, I own Worldmark, although I'm not sure it was still Trendwest when I bought it. I was just talking about the availability problems in the WM forum here, although I think WM works well for people who live near the west cost and take frequent short trips there. I wish it were easier to get peak reservations in WM, but I can always rent out surplus credits. so it's all good. I am glad WM works well for you.

And yes, I owned three MROPs. The fees went up on those, so I deeded two back, paying a $250 fee on each. I had a MROP with special booking privileges in the Pacific Northwest, and a Tugger from Washington state was happy to take that third one.

As for my finds, my husband gave me a resale DVC about 15 years ago, and I'm so glad we got that. Disney now offers some great developer-only perks, but we are grandfathered in. I rent my DVC out each year because I just can't bear to spend that much on a one week's stay in Orlando. Instead, I can sometimes book Disney's Saratoga springs via RCI. We get about a 7% or 8% ROI on our DVC after figuring in opportunity cost and depreciation on the RTU. I could make a profit selling it, but renting it is good and the perks we get are great.

Other than DVC and WM, I also own some Sheratons. I tried buying a Marriott years ago, and lost it to ROFR. So, I decided to go with Sheraton instead -- no ROFR. II can give some very nice trades up using Sheratons. I also rent Sheratons out.

I own the rare fractional UDI-type contract at Christmas Mountain Village in the WI Dells. Availability has gotten much harder to find there, but I still get decent value. I rent a summer week, deposit some weeks into II or RCI Points, and have four weeks each year for WM Exchange plus.

I own an every-other-year week that trades in RCI Points. And, I have a VRI-managed week in California that I've owned for a long time and have been trying to find a new owner for. It rents for almost enough to cover MFs. It's a nice place, but small and unknown to the public. I should list it for rent in AirBnb, which gives renters confidence in renting unknown places.

I've had some dangerous health problems on-and-off that limit my online time, but mostly my health is better now. I also had some bone fractures in the past year or so that made sitting at the computer difficult, but those are better, too. I am working on some writing projects, and that also limits my time on TUG. I tend to catch up on TUG in bursts, so I'm posting a lot this weekend.

I can't travel on my own, but I hope I will be able to soon. I can go on trips if I have family to help me out. I love to travel, and timesharing makes it so much easier than a hotel. If I am resting, my family can do stuff in the living room, and the kitchen makes it way easier to follow dietary restrictions. Most of my timeshares have bell services to carry my luggage -- it would cost a lot to stay at a hotel with that level of service. II ePlus is great if I need to postpone a trip. I am thrilled to have gotten into timesharing.

For flights, I use Southwest airlines because canceling is so easy. My husband and I pretty much always have a Southwest Companion pass, which we get by signing up for credit cards.

I'm a Financial Security Advisor and I have to wonder...you say "the economy has improved..."....
I agree that the economy is still precarious. By "the economy has improved," I just mean that my hometown of Ann Arbor is now mostly a middle-class place again. During the Great Recession, I routinely saw evicted people's belongings piled on the curb in my neighborhood, and there was a tent city behind my local mall. I can't imagine how awful it must be to live in a tent in Michigan in the winter. But, that's how bad things were here.

It's true that timeshares can be very risky. I had to get rid of a lot of timeshares during the Great Recession, so I know which timeshares are easy to get rid of and which aren't. (My general rule -- if a timeshare can be easily rented for more than the MFs, someone will probably want it. If not, it will be a problem to get rid of.)

What I have learned with my timeshare addiction is only acquire what you can use and what will be easy to find a new home for when you need to give it a new home. ...
Ah, yes, that is true for sensible people. But, I have a true addiction! I just gave a couple timeshares away and closing is nearly complete on those. So, I want to get new ones!

And, despite my addiction, I'm really not planning to get more timeshares immediately. I promised myself I'd finish up various things I need to get done before "rewarding myself" with my next timeshare. Plus, there are so many great deals to evaluate!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Judy, I think the biggest reason I remember you so well is you helped me so much early on, when I was trying to decipher the mystery of timeshare ownerships. You gave me no-nonsense advice about what was good and what wasn't. You helped me quite a lot. I still made my own mistakes, of course, but in retrospect it was excellent training. (I think maybe I confused your MROP with Northwest Priority for the Trendwest thing. It's easy to confuse things.) But since I live north of Seattle, WorldMark was a great decision for me, and a nice system to end up owning. I'm surrounded by good places to stay.

Sorry to hear of your health issues, and I certainly hope you get back to normal soon. Having all those ownerships sitting there must be frustrating, if you can't use them when you want to. Be well! :)

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
OkJudy, you have caught my interest. Let us know what you do.
I’m always interested in what TUG members buy and sell.
GoodLuck,
Silentg
Pm sent

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy, I think the biggest reason I remember you so well is you helped me so much early on, when I was trying to decipher the mystery of timeshare ownerships. You gave me no-nonsense advice about what was good and what wasn't. You helped me quite a lot. I still made my own mistakes, of course, but in retrospect it was excellent training. (I think maybe I confused your MROP with Northwest Priority for the Trendwest thing. It's easy to confuse things.) But since I live north of Seattle, WorldMark was a great decision for me, and a nice system to end up owning. I'm surrounded by good places to stay.

Sorry to hear of your health issues, and I certainly hope you get back to normal soon. Having all those ownerships sitting there must be frustrating, if you can't use them when you want to. Be well! :)

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I'm glad I helped out when you were getting started in timesharing!

I try to always have a back-up plan if I can't use my timeshares. Most of them can be rented easily, and I also like that deposits in RCI can be extended pretty much forever. But, I really hope I can get to Hawaii someday. When I'm offered a Westin in Maui for one of my Sheratons, that sounds so nice!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, I have managed to restrain myself and not buy another timeshare!

However, a week just showed up in my online Vistana account from a timeshare I bought off eBay last summer. I thought that timeshare had closed months ago! The fact that I'm having trouble keeping track of the timeshares I own shows that maybe I've "had a few too many." (Too many timeshares, that is.)

And, this new timeshare showed up so late that I owed a late fee on the 2019 MFs. Sheesh.

carnaby2905

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Resorts Orlando, FL

Hey Sweetpea. We have the deed to one in Orlando - Disney! - you can have for back maintenance fees. Week is Red Week.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I think I've maxed out. Not even an itch to buy more. We are retired and making good use of what we own (a lot). I have only bought over the years - never sold anything.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Sweetpea. We have the deed to one in Orlando - Disney! - you can have for back maintenance fees. Week is Red Week.
Am I "Sweetpea"? I saw under your User ID that you own a Westgate. I am definitely not interested in Westgate. But, you may want to offer your week on the Bargain Board here.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I caught the bug back in 2016 and acquired over 35 units spending close to $300k while also flipping some for profits. These would’ve been over $1.5m if bought from developers. We use what we can and rent the rest. Only buy in popular places and resorts. My goal is to just stay in timeshares and travel the world when I retire.