• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to ignore people on TUG?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can I use the ignore function with being reminded the reply is from someone I chose to ignore?

Also is there a way to ignore the emoji of the ignored as well?

There appears to be individuals that have become muted only to communicate via emoji.
Are they self muzzled?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Emoji's go on someone else's post, not the ignored person's post, which is why you see them.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Emoji's go on someone else's post, not the ignored person's post, which is why you see them.
Denise,

Thanks for the reply. Any way to suppress the message that the reply is from someone I am ignoring?
It's like a reminder that they said something and you can still see something if you really want to.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Not that I know of.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I almost wish there was a block feature like there is on Facebook.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I hope you see my post :)

I have found that ignore works like this;
  • If you ignore someone and they start a thread, you don't see the thread.
  • If you are ignoring someone and they reply in a thread, you don't their reply, but you see a small show ignored content link on the thread.
  • If someone replies to someone you are ignoring, you see that it is a person you are ignoring, but you don't see their actual post unless you opt to show it.

VacayKat

Reaction score
The ignore feature leaves you open to continued personal attacks that you won’t see but others will if that is why you chose to ignore them in the first place. It would be better implemented if ignore would also prevent the other user from seeing your posts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The ignore feature leaves you open to continued personal attacks that you won’t see but others will if that is why you chose to ignore them in the first place. It would be better implemented if ignore would also prevent the other user from seeing your posts.
Personal attacks should be reported, even if they are against someone else.

VacayKat

Reaction score
Personal attacks should be reported, even if they are against someone else.
In my experience reporting the attack unless it is very egregious is not always successful and there is no appeals process. It is subject to the moderator’s decision on whether they believe it *is* an attack. And who knows - it is possible the moderator might agree with the attacker and be less likely to view it from a neutral position. I mean they’re human moderators.
Edited to add which is why I will sometimes view the blocked user’s comment because it is extremely unfair to have an individual impugn you - sometimes it demands a response.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In my experience reporting the attack unless it is very egregious is not always successful and there is no appeals process. It is subject to the moderator’s decision on whether they believe it *is* an attack. And who knows - it is possible the moderator might agree with the attacker and be less likely to view it from a neutral position. I mean they’re human moderators.
Edited to add which is why I will sometimes view the blocked user’s comment because it is extremely unfair to have an individual impugn you - sometimes it demands a response.
I ignore very few people. Whenever I see that "show ignored content" or whatever it says, I have to click on it. I should just unignore them since I am always showing the posts anyway.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

If you've been on Tug very long, you'll find the Moderators do a tremendous job of keeping posters within the boundaries of Tug rules- which are specific. And personal attacks are against the rules. Compared with *most* social media, where it is a Wild West atmosphere, Tug is tame, civilized, and generally pretty well behaved place. Those who are repeat offenders are taken to the digital woodshed, and are thoroughly trounced for their behavior. The worst are eventually banned from posting.

Dave

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you see my post :)

I have found that ignore works like this;
  • If you ignore someone and they start a thread, you don't see the thread.
  • If you are ignoring someone and they reply in a thread, you don't their reply, but you see a small show ignored content link on the thread.
  • If someone replies to someone you are ignoring, you see that it is a person you are ignoring, but you don't see their actual post unless you opt to show it.
See you loud and clear! :wave:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yeah. Just like the block feature in FB.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ignore very few people. Whenever I see that "show ignored content" or whatever it says, I have to click on it. I should just unignore them since I am always showing the posts anyway.
Exactly my point. I tend to do that as well. Then Pandora's box is opened all over again o_O

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you've been on Tug very long, you'll find the Moderators do a tremendous job of keeping posters within the boundaries of Tug rules- which are specific. And personal attacks are against the rules. Compared with *most* social media, where it is a Wild West atmosphere, Tug is tame, civilized, and generally pretty well behaved place. Those who are repeat offenders are taken to the digital woodshed, and are thoroughly trounced for their behavior. The worst are eventually banned from posting.

Dave
Well for the most part what you say it true. But there is so much more traffic here on TUG and the mods are stretched thin. Unfortunately the offenders all to often "manage" to "damage" and the carnage is littered for all to see until the mods can catch and clean it up. Covid has now become an inflamed political issue as well. Where do you draw the line? The line is wide and very grey. Now even the frickin like button with those 5 emojis have nuanced definitions. The mutes have a voice and can't be ignored.

VacayKat

Reaction score

Dave
I sure hope it happens. I've been watching a couple of folks who are doing what moderators call 'disagreeing' but it's all veiled hatred. I'm not saying it's the moderator's job to keep people polite, but in the time I've been active (long time lurker, lol) I've noticed a few who go out of their way to vilify those who [no matter what is said] go against what their opinion is. And in general, it has just devolved into a you horrible people vs us holy folks. So, long story short, I would hope these folks end up as you say. I will hold out hope.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I sure hope it happens. I've been watching a couple of folks who are doing what moderators call 'disagreeing' but it's all veiled hatred. I'm not saying it's the moderator's job to keep people polite, but in the time I've been active (long time lurker, lol) I've noticed a few who go out of their way to vilify those who [no matter what is said] go against what their opinion is. And in general, it has just devolved into a you horrible people vs us holy folks. So, long story short, I would hope these folks end up as you say. I will hold out hope.

You have the option of Reporting any posts you think are violating Tug rules. Moderators are volunteers, they are human, and Tug is a huge website with thousands of users. Some posts may get out of control quite easily. And if you're specifically referring to posts in the Covid forum, it was set up specifically to house those posts that get to be pretty emotionally charged, and to keep that subject away from the other forums. Most forums don't have the level of emotion attached, so posts tend to be more reasonable.

But again, anytime you see something you think is out of line, report it. A moderator can review things, and take action, as appropriate.

Dave

VacayKat

Reaction score
You have the option of Reporting any posts you think are violating Tug rules. Moderators are volunteers, they are human, and Tug is a huge website with thousands of users. Some posts may get out of control quite easily. And if you're specifically referring to posts in the Covid forum, it was set up specifically to house those posts that get to be pretty emotionally charged, and to keep that subject away from the other forums. Most forums don't have the level of emotion attached, so posts tend to be more reasonable.

But again, anytime you see something you think is out of line, report it. A moderator can review things, and take action, as appropriate.

Dave
Yep have done it - and received the response maybe I need to take a break. It was a special response.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yep have done it - and received the response maybe I need to take a break. It was a special response.

Well, that would be unexpected. Maybe I need to start reading these threads more closely. :D (No thanks. I don't read the inflammatory topics. I have enough real-life BS to cope with as it is. I don't need to add more to the pile.)

If you feel a Moderator is out of line, perhaps bringing it to the attention of Tug Brian directly is a better answer.

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The COVID Forum is what it is. It's never going to be as calm as the rest of TUG, because of the inflammatory nature of the topic. That being said, it's a heck of a lot better than having those posts spread all over TUG! I seldom visit, except as a Moderator, because I find it super annoying!!! I know that many people feel that way, but are still drawn to it like moths to a flame. So my advice is: If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! With that being said, if you see posts that violate the TUG posting rules, please use the REPORT link. Just so you know, when you report a post, ALL TUG staffers see the report. However, that doesn't mean you will win your dispute.

I do not care to get into a debate about this, I just wanted to clarify a few things up. PEACE OUT! :hi:

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I know that many people feel that way, but are still drawn to it like moths to a flame. So my advice is: If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!
This is my thought. If one is going to participate in the COVID forum, why would they be using the ignore function anyway other than to perhaps wanting to sit in an echo chamber. I see lots of "you are going on my ignore list" posts for simple differing of opinions. I am the victem of same. I guess my 30K+ posts about timeshare mean nothing because I have a different opinion of something not related to timeshare. If you don't want to see differing opinions, the COVID forum is the wrong place to be. I have decided once again to add the COVID forum to the list of the forums I ignore and just come here for timeshare discussion. It isn't worth the stress. Thanks to @TUGBrian for adding that Ignore More add-on!

Last edited:

VacayKat

Reaction score
Just so you know, when you report a post, ALL TUG staffers see the report. However, that doesn't mean you will win your dispute.
this is good- I try to avoid the covid forums, and if I do go there, I presume comments will come back at me with a bite and put on my tough skin and suck it up. I, however, tend to expect other forums to have a lot more decorum. Long story short, when my report got shut down, it caused me to refute and address the individual's actions directly in a post because frankly I feel poor behavior must be addressed or it metastasizes, just preferred it to be a neutral party who had done so. But that said, I tend to address things in a fairly adult and tempered way, so doubt it made any change in the other user's behavior. I guess I assumed that someone saying I was doing bad things without evidence (or even being on topic for the thread) would be seen as a personal attack, turns out it is viewed as a "difference of opinion". I now know better.
Regardless, back to the point of my original post - having a way to block certain users from seeing your posts in these cases would solve the problem and create much less work for the moderators. I know this user will attack me in any and all forums because they have decided I am one of the subset of owners they hate (I'm not and have said so multiple times) and if I could block them from seeing my posts, they'd have less outlet for their vitriol. That's all I was pointing out.