• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

5 Weeks at Marriott Ko'Olina

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Well if anyone wants to meet up let's schedule a tentative date of Nov 3 at 730pm by marketplace? Dont know who can make it. But whoever's wants to meet either PM me or respond here. Election night and the results will most likely be done by then.
We plan on being there. We just snagged another 2BR (starting October 31st) with an II certificate! It's showing as a dedicated 2BR OV unit (HTBOV); that's the same unit type we're in right now. Maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to stay in the same room...

Interestingly, my current week is now reflected as TBOV (dedicated 2BR OV) in II; I could have sworn it was ZZAB previously.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
We plan on being there. We just snagged another 2BR (starting October 31st) with an II certificate! It's showing as a dedicated 2BR OV unit (HTBOV); that's the same unit type we're in right now. Maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to stay in the same room...

Interestingly, my current week is now reflected as TBOV (dedicated 2BR OV) in II; I could have sworn it was ZZAB previously.
While i love MKO i feel like its so hard to manage life (work and school) and live there lol. I hope you have a great time over the next 2 weeks!! I keep mentioning to my husband the ACs i see but he hasn't said to book likd he did for fall break and this past week. Maybe i can convince him for later.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys have fun. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Love seeing the pictures.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
@PearlCity I hear you! Last week, we didn't make it back during the week (I had too many late days at work). That was the main reason for getting the second week. We're letting our DD stay there a few days now before DW and I head back later this week. We decided on the exchange for next week to make it easier to attend the tugger get together.

Many thanks to @JanT for letting us hijack portions of this thread! Great meeting you yesterday. We look forward to seeing Frank again and meeting new tuggers next week.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we reserved a two hour time slot for the Reflection pool from 9:30-11:30 for today. Won’t make that mistake again. We got there on time and checked in, picked our spot on the chart, and walked in. The signs were up that masks must be worn except for when you’re IN the pool. There were a few other people there already relaxing in their chairs - with no masks on. No pretense of masks either. We should have left right then but figured someone would be around to tell them to put their masks on.

More people arrived and virtually every one of them pulled their masks off as soon as they got away from the pool check-in area. They walked around with no masks on and proceeded to their assigned areas and plopped down - no masks. We ended up with people on either side of us and you guessed it, no masks on.

Not one Marriott employee came around to see if people were respecting the mask and social distancing policy. We were there for a full 2 hour period and not one person other than us had masks on - ever.

When we left, we stopped at the check in area and asked what the mask policy is, that we thought you could have it off only if you’re in the pool. She said that was the policy and that they try to enforce it. We just said ok and I commented that we will just skip the pools now. She said going to the lagoons would be better because they’d removed all the lounges down there and not many people wanted to go there without them.

So, later today we’re going to go find some chairs we can use at the lagoons while we’re here. Won’t step foot in the pool area again.

I’m frustrated that they simply aren’t going to enforce the rules regarding masks. We see people within the resort without them and no one says a word apparently. Marriott is going to end up contributing to their own shut down again if they keep this up. Eventually, a visitor is going to sneak through or a local will unknowingly expose people here and it’s going to be a hot mess.

I love this resort and will certainly enjoy our time here but I am disappointed in them for not being more diligent about masks.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Yesterday we reserved a two hour time slot for the Reflection pool from 9:30-11:30 for today. Won’t make that mistake again. We got there on time and checked in, picked our spot on the chart, and walked in. The signs were up that masks must be worn except for when you’re IN the pool. There were a few other people there already relaxing in their chairs - with no masks on. No pretense of masks either. We should have left right then but figured someone would be around to tell them to put their masks on.

More people arrived and virtually every one of them pulled their masks off as soon as they got away from the pool check-in area. They walked around with no masks on and proceeded to their assigned areas and plopped down - no masks. We ended up with people on either side of us and you guessed it, no masks on.

Not one Marriott employee came around to see if people were respecting the mask and social distancing policy. We were there for a full 2 hour period and not one person other than us had masks on - ever.

When we left, we stopped at the check in area and asked what the mask policy is, that we thought you could have it off only if you’re in the pool. She said that was the policy and that they try to enforce it. We just said ok and I commented that we will just skip the pools now. She said going to the lagoons would be better because they’d removed all the lounges down there and not many people wanted to go there without them.

So, later today we’re going to go find some chairs we can use at the lagoons while we’re here. Won’t step foot in the pool area again.

I’m frustrated that they simply aren’t going to enforce the rules regarding masks. We see people within the resort without them and no one says a word apparently. Marriott is going to end up contributing to their own shut down again if they keep this up. Eventually, a visitor is going to sneak through or a local will unknowingly expose people here and it’s going to be a hot mess.

I love this resort and will certainly enjoy our time here but I am disappointed in them for not being more diligent about masks.

And I am disappointed in the guests who have no respect for Hawaii emergency orders or Marriott rules. Shame on them.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh I’m definitely more upset with the guests!! I didn’t mean to imply they aren’t the problem because they are - 100% at fault. The self-entitlement of people never fails to amaze me. But, they will continue to do this until Marriott enforces the rules and initiates some deterrent against their flaunting of the rules - fines or whatever is necessary to put a stop to it.

And I am disappointed in the guests who have no respect for Hawaii emergency orders or Marriott rules. Shame on them.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Yesterday half of the people had masks the other half didnt. But when i was there the 1st week of oct workers were reminding everyone to wear masks. You are correct though. This weekend i saw much less reminding. At the time though security was running the pools. Now i think activities people are. I also so a bigger lady (so she was a bit scary) reminding people once about masks at reflection maybe Yesterday for the 2nd morning time slot. (930-1130) The 12-2pm time slot was more crowded and way less mask wearing which is partly why the kids said lets go and we walked to paradise cove.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Really, really sad, but not unexpected based upon my limited experience in the touristy areas of San Diego. I have posted about it before - folks take a vacation from their masks. It's true, it's annoying and I suppose that people who have tested negative are even more likely to decide that there is no risk to others because they don't think that they have it. In San Diego we have found that if you go even slightly off the beaten path things are more normal with folks trying to socially distance and wear masks.

Glad for the heads up. We will be looking for the less populated places to hang out. We don't usually go to the pool as there is zero novelty for us (we don't use ours in the backyard either, lol) so no issues there but I was hoping to spend some time on the sand, socially distanced. Hopefully we can find a corner by ourselves. We may just be spending quality time on our balcony.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really, really sad, but not unexpected based upon my limited experience in the touristy areas of San Diego. I have posted about it before - folks take a vacation from their masks. It's true, it's annoying and I suppose that people who have tested negative are even more likely to decide that there is no risk to others because they don't think that they have it. In San Diego we have found that if you go even slightly off the beaten path things are more normal with folks trying to socially distance and wear masks.

Glad for the heads up. We will be looking for the less populated places to hang out. We don't usually go to the pool as there is zero novelty for us (we don't use ours in the backyard either, lol) so no issues there but I was hoping to spend some time on the sand, socially distanced. Hopefully we can find a corner by ourselves. We may just be spending quality time on our balcony.
I would say if you are able to hike definitely now is the time to go! Trails are empty. If you come before Nov 1st Lagoon 1 was the least crowded yesterday on a Sunday.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I read about a brown water advisory from paradise cove to nanakuli. How is the water in the lagoons as paradise cove is just down the street?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read about a brown water advisory from paradise cove to nanakuli. How is the water in the lagoons as paradise cove is just down the street?

Water looks ok. We are under a flash flood watch until Thurs so that maybe why. No rain though. Marina was brown sat and yesterday.

aamarquez8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (ccv), MGC, MGV
Hi all! We are new to Marriott & II and have 2 MKO stays coming up. Using a getaway & an exchange. Trying to absorb all I can from you all so we can have lengthy stays too (lol). this will be our first time so your help is appreciated...thx!

for getaways, we don't have free parking, right?

I read that AC are deposited randomly into your account. When do you think I will start seeing some? I would love to have $300 staycations.

Can we check in early to start using the amenities. And stay on- site after checkout?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
for getaways, we don't have free parking, right?
I'm fairly certain, you do not have to pay or parking for getaways. I think the only time you pay is when booking as a "hotel" stay, but I'll defer to others who stayed on getaway. You do not pay parking for exchanges (including ACs).
I read that AC are deposited randomly into your account. When do you think I will start seeing some? I would love to have $300 staycations.
I'm not sure when the "random" ones arrived in the past. In addition to the random ones, you'll be offered ACs for depositing your unit during certain times. Last year, we received one for each side of the unit when we deposited in October. We also get ACs on the anniversary of adding one of my other TS. Like resort units, different ACs have different power. We could see some/most of the 2BR deposits with the AC we were given for our Marriott deposits, but the 3BR "random" AC did not see them.
Can we check in early to start using the amenities. And stay on- site after checkout?
You can definitely stay after checkout. It called "Stay and Play" or something like that. I presume they have the same for early arrivals, but I don't know. In the current environment, it would be difficult to do anything since most things are closed. You could go to the lagoon or maybe the pool. After 30 minutes, the pools are available for walk-ins/waitlist if not at capacity.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain, you do not have to pay or parking for getaways. I think the only time you pay is when booking as a "hotel" stay, but I'll defer to others who stayed on getaway. You do not pay parking for exchanges (including ACs).

I'm not sure when the "random" ones arrived in the past. In addition to the random ones, you'll be offered ACs for depositing your unit during certain times. Last year, we received one for each side of the unit when we deposited in October. We also get ACs on the anniversary of adding one of my other TS. Like resort units, different ACs have different power. We could see some/most of the 2BR deposits with the AC we were given for our Marriott deposits, but the 3BR "random" AC did not see them.

You can definitely stay after checkout. It called "Stay and Play" or something like that. I presume they have the same for early arrivals, but I don't know. In the current environment, it would be difficult to do anything since most things are closed. You could go to the lagoon or maybe the pool. After 30 minutes, the pools are available for walk-ins/waitlist if not at capacity.
Be aware that while you can stay after check out thr complementary showers marriott used to offer to clean up before getting on a plane is currently closed. So if you plan to swim or go to the beach just know the only showers available are the cold water showers along the beach that are open air and NOT private.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the charge for parking if you’re on an exchange. Several years ago I know if you owned a MVC week and stayed at any MVC resort you did not have to pay for parking. Otherwise you had to pay. Maybe that has changed. I honestly didn’t even think about that when we checked in.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the charge for parking if you’re on an exchange. Several years ago I know if you owned a MVC week and stayed at any MVC resort you did not have to pay for parking. Otherwise you had to pay. Maybe that has changed. I honestly didn’t even think about that when we checked in.
I can speak to that. I exchange in with worldmark (i did own a Marriott in AZ but sold it) no fee for the 1st car and $20 for the second. I cant speak for getaways though.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
You do not have to pay for parking on an exchange (trade or AC). More specifically, you do not have to pay if you have only 1 vehicle. If you have 2 vehicles, you'll have to pay for the second one. The front desk told me it would be $20/day if we brought a 2nd vehicle this week. As I mentioned above, I think it applies to Getaways, but I haven't stayed on a Getaway yet.

I think the II exchange certificates has the statement that you'll be charged for parking, but it's not accurate. It's caused some confusion over the years.

Edit: @PearlCity must have beat me by a second or two, but I'll leave this here. We're both saying the same thing.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Okay folks, I have a potential treat (no trick) for those following this thread...

Yesterday, we secured a 4th MKO week (Nov 7-14) with an AC; unit code is ZZAA which is a 2BR LO Ocean View. DW and I decided to not extend a 4th week. We'll be cancelling the AC before II closes for the day (11PM Eastern). If you would like to coordinate a time so we can turn it in and you can grab it, send me a PM (move your mouse over my username and then click "Start conversation") so we can determine a mutual time that works for both us.

ETA: No one has contacted us yet. DW and I are flopping like fish on a pier; we may end up keeping the week. Contact me and I'll tell you if it's heads or tails :)

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
All these great weeks with an AC!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ETA: No one has contacted us yet. DW and I are flopping like fish on a pier; we may end up keeping the week. Contact me and I'll tell you if it's heads or tails :)

Just stay another week. You know you want to! Ask nicely and maybe front desk will keep you in the same high floor room.

Then you can make round two of the TUG meet n greet.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Just stay another week. You know you want to! Ask nicely and maybe front desk will keep you in the same high floor room.
No one contacted us, and we decided to keep the week! DD loves staying there so she'll be there during weekdays, and we'll be there some weekdays and the entire weekend.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina

Frank, what was your route from HNL to MCO? I am always looking for new ideas to get from FL to HI. Which airline did you fly?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Am on United. Because we are not leaving MCO till after noon the routing is MCO to IAH, IAH to SFO and SFO to HNL. It is long flight but allows me a nice relaxing morning. Wake up go to the club lounge then hit the park for a few hours. Leave Universal by 1030 and get to MCO by 11 to return car and have about 1.5 hours before flight.

There is a better flight that goes from MCO to IAH then IAH to HNL. But it leaves MCO at 7am and no way I am waking up that early.

Last edited:

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Am on United. Because we are not leaving MCO till after noon the routing is MCO to IAH, IAH to SFO and SFO to HNL. It is long flight but always me a nice relaxing morning. Wake up go to the club lounge then hit the park for a few hours. Leave Universal by 1030 and get to MCO by 11 to return car and have about 1.5 hours for flight.

There is a better flight that goes from MCO to IAH then IAH to HNL. But it leaves MCO at 7am and no way I am waking up that early.

How is the IAH-SFO connection time, assuming no significant delays? Are the gates close to each other? Comfortable amount of time between flights? IAH is our departure airport, and I’m always hesitant to book connecting flights. Of course, we wouldn’t have to wake up as early to catch the IAH-HNL flight as you would to fly MCO-IAH-HNL!