• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Layoffs and Furloughs in Hawaii

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Came across this thread/link in Facebook. I knew we had a lot of workers at the resorts but didn't realize how many. With the layoffs/furloughs, I wonder how many people are left. That's 354 permanent layoff and 611 on temporary furlough.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow, it looks like they are obliterating their sales offices in Hawaii. I don't know how many people work there or the split between sales reps and back office support. I suspect they probably have a lot of back office stuff that is done for sales and marketing at each location and perhaps they will try to centralize that in Orlando or elsewhere and just keep the sales people on site. That is usually how it work, you don't usually terminate the people that bring in the money. Unless of course they think things will be really bad for a long time.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you click on each link, it shows you the titles of people being laid off or furloughed. When I see Sales Exec, Sales Exec Sr, Sales Exec Master, Sales Exec Team Leader, Sr Manager of Sales, and Sr Dir of Sales, makes you wonder what will be left.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I didn’t realize they had so many employees in Sales & Marketing. Sorry to see this happen. Based on the furloughs until January 8, it looks like they think things won’t open up much until then. I guess that isn’t that surprising based on how things have gone with the virus to date. Hopefully their current projection is on target, or things improve significantly before then.

Best regards.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Guess I should have checked those out. Those certainly are sales reps being let go. Looking at Ko'Olina, it looks like about 50 front line sales reps. How many can they possibly have? I suspect they figure travel to the islands will be depressed for a while to come. As for marketing staff, I always wondered why they didn't centralize that in Orlando or elsewhere. It doesn't really matter where the person is sitting that calls you before your stay to sign you up for a presentation. They usually have some canned email they send out with details and nearby restaurants listed. Given the number of sales staff being let go, I doubt they will need to move these positions elsewhere.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess I should have checked those out. Those certainly are sales reps being let go. Looking at Ko'Olina, it looks like about 50 front line sales reps. How many can they possibly have? I suspect they figure travel to the islands will be depressed for a while to come. As for marketing staff, I always wondered why they didn't centralize that in Orlando or elsewhere. It doesn't really matter where the person is sitting that calls you before your stay to sign you up for a presentation. They usually have some canned email they send out with details and nearby restaurants listed. Given the number of sales staff being let go, I doubt they will need to move these positions elsewhere.

They did have a good sized sales staff at Ko Olina, many of whom were fluent in Japanese.

I don't know how things have been in recent years, but at one time the sales staff was quite busy selling to Japanese tourists (as well as folks from the USA).

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
For some roles, it's always easier to bring people back than to let them go. MVC is likely being proactive given the uncertainty surrounding if/when Hawaii will reopen for tourism. Without tourists, who are they supposed to sell to? If things do improve faster than expected, I imagine they can rehire into those positions or transfer from the mainland if needed.

And then there's always the possibility that they are trying to send a signal to the state gov't.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I did not know the size and scope of the sales and support staff at MKO. I have seen some sales staff in the parking garage the past month. I had no idea that there were at least 300 sales and support staff. Well hope everything starts to get back to normal soon. That is a lot of people that will be unemployed and no chance of getting employment until we have tourism in decent numbers.

In Hawaii a lot of people were living paycheck to paycheck, now with no federal $600 per week it is only going to get worse. I can imagine the kids that do not have a decent meal because the public schools are not serving breakfast and lunch right now. Until mid July, certain schools were serving breakfast and lunch to kids. No it has been almost 2 months of children not being served

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are these X - Marriott's employees going to do? The tourism industry is at an all time low in Hawaii. IMHO.
There are no related jobs or employment that they can apply for on The Island.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
What are these X - Marriott's employees going to do? The tourism industry is at an all time low in Hawaii. IMHO.
Find work on the mainland?

There are probably some who moved to Hawaii to take these jobs. I’ve spoken to some salespeople in California, Orlando and Las Vegas who had previously worked in Hawaii but transferred back to the mainland.

Whether the situation in the rest of the US will be any better for these jobs is another question.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

They may no longer be selling Timeshares, but are they able to work selling Hawaii Real Estate? I know the Real Estate market in most of the USA is really "hot" right now. In certain areas things are selling within hours of listing, and at record high prices!

Not sure if that's happening in Hawaii right now but if it is it does provide those folks a great opportunity......

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was looking at exchanges on II this weekend and we could easily get 1-2 bedroom units in the Marriott in Maui or any Marriott on any of the Hawaiian Islands. I have never seen so much Hawaii inventory available. Too bad we can’t fly there.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Just looking at the top link supplied by OP here:

Just thumb down the whole thing. It looks like Hawaii is going to the unemployment slaughter house. Heads are rolling everywhere. Boy, the Covid costs are dear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Who would want to buy a timeshare from a developer at full price during these uncertain times?

Heck, I wouldn’t buy retail in the BEST of times either! One can get the same thing for pennies on the dollar.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Find work on the mainland?

There are probably some who moved to Hawaii to take these jobs. I’ve spoken to some salespeople in California, Orlando and Las Vegas who had previously worked in Hawaii but transferred back to the mainland.

Whether the situation in the rest of the US will be any better for these jobs is another question.
What are these employees working in the service industry going to do? There are high numbers of service workers on mainland USA unemployed; in Florida, California, Orlando, Las Vegas, New York and South Carolina. Service workers are laborers , janitors, cashiers, housekeepers, groundkeepers, restaurants workers, low skills and low paid employees. IMO.

Do you really feel that they have the resources to move to mainland in the United States ?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
What are these employees working in the service industry going to do? There are high numbers of service workers on mainland USA unemployed; in Florida, California, Orlando, Las Vegas, New York and South Carolina. Service workers are laborers , janitors, cashiers, housekeepers, groundkeepers, restaurants workers, low skills and low paid employees. IMO.

Do you really feel that they have the resources to move to mainland in the United States ?

And why go to the mainland when unemployment for service workers is terrible too? You are right. They were living hand to mouth with 2 jobs. My guess is any savings they did have are long spent.

What’s worse will be when the stimulus checks and eviction ban is gone. Something is going to give at some point. IMO, this is worse than the disease itself.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The news is reporting today, 3.4 millions permanent job loss because of COVID - 19.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a note - the fact that an employer issues a notice under WARN does not mean that the layoffs or reductions-in-force will actually happen. An employer is allowed to cancel some or all...not likely in this era.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a note - the fact that an employer issues a notice under WARN does not mean that the layoffs or reductions-in-force will actually happen. An employer is allowed to cancel some or all...not likely in this era.
Very true; but can you name one or two, that have cancel after issuing a WARN Notice ?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Well employees can’t expect to keep working when there is no work to be had. Unfortunately COVID-19 impact on a tourist destination that has chosen to completely close to tourist could and should have been foreseen.

I feel for all the unemployed but their Governor made choices which by most threads on TUG his constituents supported .

Hopefully for all of us life will return to normal sooner rather than later. There are many here that would return to Hawaii in a heartbeat if allowed including me.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In most companies sales staff is always the first to go in hard times.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Setting aside the obvoius personal difficulties of losing a job, kind of a good news story, maybe some karma haunting the sales weasels .

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The news is reporting today, 3.4 millions permanent job loss because of COVID - 19.
Which is what, roughly slightly less than 10% of the total number who lost a job along the way, over half of which are back at work.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Setting aside the obvoius personal difficulties of losing a job, kind of a good news story, maybe some karma haunting the sales weasels .
WOW.

I've sat in Marriott Vacation Club sales presentations, even purchased direct from MVC several times. They did their job, i.e. selling the product's features and making sure I understood there were caveats, even requiring me to initial and sign a piece of paper stating the caveats *and the rescission process* in simple terms. Then I did my job, reviewing the paperwork during the rescission period. It will always be mind-boggling to me that some people buy something that requires an ongoing financial commitment, and then blame the people who sold it to them.

Calling a worldwide pandemic that's ravaging the tourism industry and erasing the salespersons' livelihoods "karma" for their customers' willing ignorance, though, that's a new one. There's nothing about this that's, "a good news story."