• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
As with most studies, this is a subset of severity of the illness, hospitalization. I would like to see one with at the beginning of your symptoms, not needing to be hospitalized and immediately took it and the results.

Of course, but that's not what this thread is about.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Scientists Question Validity of Major Hydroxychloroquine Study.

Richard

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
The World Health Organization and several world governments have changed their coronavirus policies and resumed trials of hydroxychloroquine because they got questionable data from a small US healthcare company — with a science fiction writer and an adult content model on staff.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
the study that "showed" increased hearth risk has been retracted, it was based on bogus data. This is actually a scandal, several real Hydroxychloroquine studies were cancelled (now reopened) because of that article in the Lancet magazine

New England Journal of Medicine had to retract their findings also. It would be nice to have an unbiased study that may save future lives.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Now I hear Ibuprofen is helpful if you have Coronavirus? A few weeks ago I heard it was bad for Corona?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
New England Journal of Medicine had to retract their findings also. It would be nice to have an unbiased study that may save future lives.

Please read more carefully before over-interpreting. The retraction had to do with sharing data that is under privacy protection. It was not about that hydroxychloroquine being efficacious - it was about safety.

Also, hydroxychloroquine is already known to prolong QTc interval which is usually enough to prevent approval. (can lead to torsades de pointe - sudden death due to stopping heart rhythm). If it weren’t for HC efficacy in malaria - HC would never received FDA/EMA approval. Vioxx and Bextra (Cox-2 inhibitors) we’re pulled for this reason.

How do I know this? I was involved in drug development and ran/used data from QTc studies for drug approval (or program stop).

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please read more carefully before over-interpreting. The retraction had to do with sharing data that is under privacy protection. It was not about that hydroxychloroquine being efficacious - it was about safety.

Also, hydroxychloroquine is already known to prolong QTc interval which is usually enough to prevent approval. (can lead to torsades de pointe - sudden death due to stopping heart rhythm). If it weren’t for HC efficacy in malaria - HC would never received FDA/EMA approval. Vioxx and Bextra (Cox-2 inhibitors) we’re pulled for this reason.

How do I know this? I was involved in drug development and ran/used data from QTc studies for drug approval (or program stop).
It is so convenient to hide behind supposedly privacy agreements. That whole study was based on a tiny company with 6 (or 3!) employees. This is what the Guardian wrote:
  • "A search of publicly available material suggests several of Surgisphere’s employees have little or no data or scientific background. An employee listed as a science editor appears to be a science fiction author and fantasy artist whose professional profile suggests writing is her fulltime job. Another employee listed as a marketing executive is an adult model and events hostess, who also acts in videos for organisations.
  • The company’s LinkedIn page has fewer than 100 followers and last week listed just six employees. This was changed to three employees as of Wednesday.
  • While Surgisphere claims to run one of the largest and fastest hospital databases in the world, it has almost no online presence. Its Twitter handle has fewer than 170 followers, with no posts between October 2017 and March 2020."

Last edited:

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag

It's still a massive failure of the medical establishment in a time of crisis.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
US stockpile stuck with 63 million doses of hydroxychloroquine

Richard

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading an article recently. Lots of interesting information. I’m trying to attach the link but not sure if I’m doing it right.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/hydroxychloroquine-not-dead-yet-n1224586

A couple of points

“Medical teams tell NBC News the politicization of the drug has complicated the trial enrollment processes.”

“Researchers across the U.S. are still testing the drug. The 48 or more trials still underway include at least 17 that are testing whether it could still play a role as a prophylactic preventing COVID-19 infection, even if it may not help treat patients who are already infected with the coronavirus.”

“It's known to have side effects, including muscle weakness and heart arrhythmia, although experts say it's generally considered safe for a healthy population as long as it's not prescribed with other medications that could cause arrhythmias.“

IMHO I think it’s great that we have so many researchers running the appropriate trials to gather the data, so the science will prevail, whatever the findings are.

One more point. They are now saying dexamethasone, another old cheap drug, a steroid, may help those on ventilators or on oxygen. It also has potential side effects but most drugs do.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was reading an article recently. Lots of interesting information. I’m trying to attach the link but not sure if I’m doing it right.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/hydroxychloroquine-not-dead-yet-n1224586

A couple of points

“Medical teams tell NBC News the politicization of the drug has complicated the trial enrollment processes.”

“Researchers across the U.S. are still testing the drug. The 48 or more trials still underway include at least 17 that are testing whether it could still play a role as a prophylactic preventing COVID-19 infection, even if it may not help treat patients who are already infected with the coronavirus.”

“It's known to have side effects, including muscle weakness and heart arrhythmia, although experts say it's generally considered safe for a healthy population as long as it's not prescribed with other medications that could cause arrhythmias.“

IMHO I think it’s great that we have so many researchers running the appropriate trials to gather the data, so the science will prevail, whatever the findings are.

One more point. They are now saying dexamethasone, another old cheap drug, a steroid, may help those on ventilators or on oxygen. It also has potential side effects but most drugs do.

Once on a ventilator for COVID - the death rate is huge. ~50% iirc

HCQ was being (wrongly) touted to be used to prevent COVID or early in infection.

Big difference.
DUCY

btw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

Many Patients take it for RA and Lupus, my mother was one that took it for decades and yes definitely do not take it with arrhythmogenic drugs.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once on a ventilator for COVID - the death rate is huge. ~50% iirc

HCQ was being (wrongly) touted to be used to prevent COVID or early in infection.

Big difference.
DUCY

btw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you are getting political. I won’t dignify it.

I am a scientist. My point is simply that good science will determine what works and what doesn’t. Doesn’t matter who says what.

No One Knew what to do with this virus. Many things have been tried, not much has worked.
The Health experts have been wrong time and again. In many countries....Not just here.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
it is fascinating that so many people would want a drug to fail and would actively work on sabotaging medical studies. For them, saving lives was for sure not a priority.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
it is fascinating that so many people would want a drug to fail and would actively work on sabotaging medical studies. For them, saving lives was for sure not a priority.
What evidence do you have of this????? Where has anyone wanted a drug to fail? And what medical study has been sabotaged? Those are pretty serious charges. So please defend them with references. The only problems I have seen are in over hyping an unknown cure.

Last edited:

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
What evidence do you have of this????? Where has anyone wanted a drug to fail? And what medical study has been sabotaged? Those are pretty serious charges. So please defend them with references. The only problems I have seen are in over hyping an unknown cure.
I thought you read about this above, here are the links again. There is no reason for a company with 3 employees to claim what they claimed if their purpose was not to derail studies about this drug. I have to point out that the medical magazine was also very sloppy initially in publishing a study based on data they could not verify

this is another one

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you read about this above, here are the links again. There is no reason for a company with 3 employees to claim what they claimed if their purpose was not to derail studies about this drug. I have to point out that the medical magazine was also very sloppy initially in publishing a study based on data they could not verify

this is another one

And if you read them you will know that there is no evidence the data is wrong. The evidence cannot be confirmed because sugrisphere did not own it and therefore could not provide it. Nothing was sabotaged. Nobody wanted anything to fail. You imply a lot from data cannot be confirmed. There have been and being done a lot of studies with this drug. Not one study has shown any significant benefit to date. That is why the FDA pulled the emergency use for it.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
studies take time... unless you want to prove otherwise

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you read them you will know that there is no evidence the data is wrong. The evidence cannot be confirmed because sugrisphere did not own it and therefore could not provide it.
you have an extremely generous interpretation of what happened. After reading the same articles, to me it looks that the data was fabricated. The company did not have either the brain power or man power to do this. And the medical magazine was too eager to publish it, one may also wonder why

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
you have an extremely generous interpretation of what happened. After reading the same articles, to me it looks that the data was fabricated. The company did not have either the brain power or man power to do this. And the medical magazine was too eager to publish it, one may also wonder why
Where do you get fabricated from unconfirmed....reread. And again.....why did the fda pull the emergency use. They are in on the conspiracy along with all the other studies. hmmmm

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody is that naive, come on!

• "A search of publicly available material suggests several of Surgisphere’s employees have little or no data or scientific background. An employee listed as a science editor appears to be a science fiction author and fantasy artist whose professional profile suggests writing is her fulltime job. Another employee listed as a marketing executive is an adult model and events hostess, who also acts in videos for organisations.
  • The company’s LinkedIn page has fewer than 100 followers and last week listed just six employees. This was changed to three employees as of Wednesday.
  • While Surgisphere claims to run one of the largest and fastest hospital databases in the world, it has almost no online presence. Its Twitter handle has fewer than 170 followers, with no posts between October 2017 and March 2020."