• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii to require 14-day quarantine of incoming air passengers [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapolei

Reaction score
If we close down and avoid a massive spread then we can reopen sooner.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The governor had already said previously for tourists to stay away. So, I suppose not too surprising.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any ideas or thoughts what will happen at the end of April 2020?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii’s governor issued a sweeping quarantine order Saturday, requiring all visitors — including mainland U.S. citizens — and residents returning to the state, to self-isolate for 14 days.

Arriving passengers must immediately report to their quarantine location upon leaving the airport.

Hawaii residents will self-isolate at home, and visitors will be required to stay in their hotel rooms or “rented lodging” for 14 days or the duration of their stay in the state, whichever is shorter. During the two weeks of isolation, people will only be permitted to leave their quarantine location to seek urgent medical care. Disobeying the order could result in a $5,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Post deleted as it is a duplicate now that the threads have been merged.

Last edited:

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov. Ige is my least favorite person right now.

If he would have at least said, "On doctor's orders, I'm quarantining everyone," maybe my travel insurance would kick in.

This is the thing that is irritating me. Gov. Ige is not ordering hotel closures because that would mean the hotels would have to cancel and refund money. By doing things like this 14 day quarantine and “asking” tourists to stay home, it means no travel insurance will cover and no businesses have to refund money. Then the tourists are painted as greedy by the locals because they keep showing up. We have a trip mid April, and have already been told by multiple entities we booked with that they will not refund money spent. Travel insurance will not cover because there has been no ordered closure.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov. Ige is my least favorite person right now.

If he would have at least said, "On doctor's orders, I'm quarantining everyone," maybe my travel insurance would kick in.

This is the thing that is irritating me. Gov. Ige is not ordering hotel closures because that would mean the hotels would have to cancel and refund money. By doing things like this 14 day quarantine and “asking” tourists to stay home, it means no travel insurance will cover and no businesses have to refund money. Then the tourists are painted as greedy by the locals because they keep showing up. We have a trip mid April, and have already been told by multiple entities we booked with that they will not refund money spent. Travel insurance will not cover because there has been no ordered closure.

The only way the travel insurers will pay for anything related to COVID-19 is if you come down with it (unless you have cancel for any reason insurance). Then the medical coverages would apply.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The only way the travel insurers will pay for anything related to COVID-19 is if you come down with it (unless you have cancel for any reason insurance). Then the medical coverages would apply.
In looking at a policy I currently have, here are some other reasons your insurance would pay out:

You or a traveling companion is quarantined. (I assume this means before travel, but it would be an interesting one to try to argue)

Your destination is uninhabitable. (Would this apply if it was shut down completely)

You or a traveling companion is terminated or laid off by a current employer after your policy’s purchase date. (This could end up applying to a lot of people)

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm tempted to fly to Seattle just so I can have my travel insurance kick in. I've got 66 days before my trip. Chance are it will likely spread and a majority will get it before we leave on our trip.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 There likely are two other fine print exclusions for "epidemics" and "government action" so a shutdown may not help with insurance unless they refund directly. This was in my event insurance so I am waiting for my broadway show to be cancelled and refunded when NYC extends the ban to end of April. Travel insurance is a waste of money unless you are traveling internationally and need the health coverage while traveling.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will also pay if your flight is cancelled.

I think this is dependent on policy. The policy I have from Marriott doesn't appear to include this coverage unless it's a Strike or the air carrier ceases operations and becomes insolvent.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I think this is dependent on policy. The policy I have from Marriott doesn't appear to include this coverage unless it's a Strike or the air carrier ceases operations and becomes insolvent.
I didn't mean to post that. I realized after I had started my post wasn't that the travel insurance would pay if the flight was cancelled, but that the airline (might depend on which airline) would refund if they cancelled the flight. If you cancel, in most cases, you'll just get a travel credit.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm tempted to fly to Seattle just so I can have my travel insurance kick in. I've got 66 days before my trip. Chance are it will likely spread and a majority will get it before we leave on our trip.
Confused here. Why would your travel insurance kick in if you fly to Seattle?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confused here. Why would your travel insurance kick in if you fly to Seattle?

Because then I would have to be quarantined. Maybe it'd be better if I fly to New York.

From Travelex:

To be eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage one of the following must occur while your coverage is in effect:
  • you or your Traveling Companion would need to be sick as diagnosed by a physician and unfit for travel (which could include contracting the coronavirus, and as a result being physically quarantined).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Because then I would have to be quarantined. Maybe it'd be better if I fly to New York.

From Travelex:

To be eligible for Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage one of the following must occur while your coverage is in effect:
  • you or your Traveling Companion would need to be sick as diagnosed by a physician and unfit for travel (which could include contracting the coronavirus, and as a result being physically quarantined).
Sounds like you would have to be sick, not just quarantined. Do you really want to get COVID-19 just so your insurance will kick in?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Sounds like you would have to be sick, not just quarantined. Do you really want to get COVID-19 just so your insurance will kick in?

Agree. It appears you would have to have a confirmed positive test result. That seems a little extreme to try for that just so that travel insurance would kick in.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
What about visitors that are already in Hawaii?

I know we have some tug members there. It’s probably safer to stay than to fly back to the mainland. They are going to quarantine people on incoming flights, what about pilots and stewardess. What about outbound flights so visitors that arrived before the quarantine can depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kapolei

Reaction score
What about visitors that are already in Hawaii?

I know we have some tug members there. It’s probably safer to stay than to fly back to the mainland. They are going to quarantine people on incoming flights, what about pilots and stewardess. What about outbound flights so visitors that arrived before the quarantine can depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting point. If you are a retiree and you are stacked with timeshare weeks, and you are already here, maybe you shelter in place in Hawaii. I think it would depend on the unique circumstances of each individual and the resort you are located in.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How exactly are they going to enforce this? Do they post a guard outside your hotel room? Is the Hawaiian government converting the local high school gym into the quarantine central lock down facility? The honor system? On people who disregarded the governors request they not show up to begin with? Maybe the governor is hoping enough people are scared by this so called quarantine that they decide to cancel and it pushes airlines to just cancel their flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.