• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise Questions

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The water front may be my best option for the time I will have there.
Suzanne
The Empress Hotel faces the inner harbour in Victoria, and is well worth a walk-through. They do a formal 'High Tea' in the afternoons. It's one of the old Canadian Pacific Grand Hotels. A word of caution, it's kind of dressy. I've been disallowed from entry wearing shorts.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our last port before arriving back in Seattle is in Victoria, BC. unfortunately we don't arrive until 6 PM depart at 11:30 PM. Had hoped to see Butchart Gardens but they close at 5 PM that day. Any recommendations for what to see or do during the evening hours near the port?
Suzanne

You seem to be on almost the same itinerary that we were on Princess Seattle to Seattle. We too arrived in Victoria at night and for a short time. However, Princess did have a short evening tour to Butchart Gardens. Lighted, but not the best way to experience the garden for the first time. While I loved visiting Seattle, I really did not like the Seattle to Seattle experience of Alaska. Plus it was at the end of August and it was wet, foggy and cold just about the whole week. The difference seems to be that we went into the Tracy Arm Fjord not Glacier Bay. Regardless, it was stunning.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The Empress Hotel faces the inner harbour in Victoria, and is well worth a walk-through. They do a formal 'High Tea' in the afternoons. It's one of the old Canadian Pacific Grand Hotels. A word of caution, it's kind of dressy. I've been disallowed from entry wearing shorts.

She said they don't get to Victoria till 6:00. I'd expect High Tea would be over by then. ?

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
She said they don't get to Victoria till 6:00. I'd expect High Tea would be over by then.
Well, I guess she could stay over. Lessee here, Butchart Garden in the morning then High Tea in the afternoon, jump the Victoria Clipper back to Seattle. Could be a fun day.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Our last port before arriving back in Seattle is in Victoria, BC. unfortunately we don't arrive until 6 PM depart at 11:30 PM. Had hoped to see Butchart Gardens but they close at 5 PM that day. Any recommendations for what to see or do during the evening hours near the port?
Suzanne
We just went for a walk as we’d been there before. The port is near a nice residential area and it was pleasant to walk down to a waterfront area with a park. You might want to take a taxi to the downtown area & walk around there.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
That's an idea Dave. There is only 2 cruise lines allowed in Glacier Bay and that's a must see for me. Both Holland America and Princess Cruise arrives at 6 & 7 PM in Victoria. Friends in Oregon have decided to drive up to Seattle and meet up with me there to do the cruise. Plus flights from Florida to Seattle are much cheaper than Florida to Vancouver.
I will check out the ferry and extending my stay an extra day or two.
Suzanne

Norwegian goes into Glacier Bay also, I was just there from Seattle. I agree that Vancouver cruises have better port times but is more expensive to fly in. What some people do is fly to Seattle and take Amtrack to Vancouver, its a scenic ride.

We chose to stay in Seattle a few days because we’d never visited the market area, well worth it but very expensive. The foodie sampler tour was a highlight, underground tour was a lowlight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Norwegian goes into Glacier Bay also, I was just there from Seattle. I agree that Vancouver cruises have better port times but is more expensive to fly in. What some people do is fly to Seattle and take Amtrack to Vancouver, its a scenic ride.

We chose to stay in Seattle a few days because we’d never visited the market area, well worth it but very expensive. The foodie sampler tour was a highlight, underground tour was a lowlight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Dave, I will check out Norwegian as I didn't know they went into Glacier Bay. I read on one site that only Holland and Princess were permitted to go there.
Suzanne

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We sailed Norwegian to/from Seattle on the Pearl and experienced Glacier Bay NCL is very informal so need to pack dressy clothing. Suzanne, one of your posts indicates you were hoping to book a starboard cabin northbound and port for the southbound. That works for what is known in cruise lingo as a Back-to-Back (B2B) which is actually 2 separate cruises. I've never heard of being able to book a starboard cabin for half of a 7-night cruise and then moving to a portside cabin midway. No worries about missing out because you can always go on an upper deck to see scenery you can't observe from your balcony. And actually, scenery in Alaska is best viewed from the bow or stern areas of the ship. In Glacier Bay, the Pearl did a 360 so that both sides of the ship enjoyed the experience.

Good Luck in your planning. BTW we use Costco for our cruise bookings.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great cruise thread. We plan on booking an Alaska cruise as soon as our they are announced (next year) for July of 2020. We are thinking of cruising the Princess. Have lot's of time for reading/researching. :).

Thanks everyone

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I would not be changing cabins. My cabin will be at the front of the ship on the navigation deck 8. I meant that because my cabin will be on the left side of the ship I would see everything on the left going north from Seattle and everything on the right heading back south to Seattle.
Suzanne

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The left side of a ship is called the port side; the right side of a ship is called starboard; the front of the ship is the bow and the back of the ship is called aft or can be refer to as stern..

Happy sailing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The left side of a ship is called the port side; the right side of a ship is called starboard; the front of the ship is the bow and the back of the ship is called aft or can be refer to as stern..

Happy sailing.

There are two sides to the ship. As you’re looking toward the bow, a good way to remember which is which is Port has four letters, and Left has four letters.

The old joke is then, that if there are two sides to the ship and you know which way is Port, then Starboard is Left. ;)

Dave, the old sailor. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I would not be changing cabins. My cabin will be at the front of the ship on the navigation deck 8. I meant that because my cabin will be on the left side of the ship I would see everything on the left going north from Seattle and everything on the right heading back south to Seattle.
Suzanne
that is correct.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two sides to the ship. As you’re looking toward the bow, a good way to remember which is which is Port has four letters, and Left has four letters.

The old joke is then, that if there are two sides to the ship and you know which way is Port, then Starboard is Left. ;)

Dave, the old sailor. :)
OK then, smarty pants. Back in the olden days of sail. When Britain ruled the waves and the sun never set on the British empire- and there was no such thing as air conditioning, When the wealthy sailed to India, and wanted to be on the most comfortable cabins on the ship, they chose cabins on the Port side Outbound, and the Starboard side when heading Home. Ticket agents, knowing this charged accordingly and noted, for the wealthy, POSH.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ticket agents, knowing this charged accordingly and noted, for the wealthy, POSH.

Jim

That’s good. I thought I was fast, but you’re showing me I’m only half fast. ;)

Dave

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. We just booked a two week trip with Princess Cruises for August 2019. We start in Anchorage and have the first week on land (Denali, Fairbanks, etc.) and the second week is the cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.

We are planning to arrive in Anchorage early for a few days on our own. We are looking into the Brooks Falls Brown Bear excursion. See the live webcam: https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Has anyone done this excursion? Can anyone suggest a tour operator? We are looking at Katmailand, Inc. right now. It is a pricey day trip, but we are going to go for it. Are there any other excursions you can recommend in Alaska?

And, it looks like we booked our mini-suite stateroom (port side) in a good location. Other than a three day Mexico cruise, this is a first real cruise for us.

Happy Travels! :)

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cruise question. We booked our Princess Cruise with gratuity included ($15.50 per person per day or $217.00 for the week). I'm a moderate tipper (15%to 20%) and my husband is an over tipper (25%+). Do we really need to tip anymore? Like for room service? Thanks. We are new cruisers.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Cruise question. We booked our Princess Cruise with gratuity included ($15.50 per person per day or $217.00 for the week). I'm a moderate tipper (15%to 20%) and my husband is an over tipper (25%+). Do we really need to tip anymore? Like for room service? Thanks. We are new cruisers.

I think the fixed gratuity covers the expected things, like your room stewards and such. If you order something extra, like room service, I'd tip the server directly.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would be about it. We like to use breakfast room service for our 'wake-up' call. They ring your phone as they are headed to your cabin- just about enough time to rise and throw on a robe. I give them a couple (as in $2) bucks. I don't add any other tips on the cruise. Oh, and I have the cabin steward empty the mini bar of their stuff so I can put my own sodas and fruit juices in it.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On top of standard gratuities, we budget an additional 5% of cruise fare and give out on last night of our cruise in envelopes to those who have excelled in taking care of us, typically the cabin stewart, wait staff and maitre d.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, thank you for your post. I did not know that I could have them remove the stuff in the mini bar and put my own stuff in it. This is good to know. Am I allowed to bring my own wine on board and if so how much? I understand alcohol is very expensive on the ship. I also drink a lot of cold bottled water and tonic & lime, do they charge for those?
Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, thank you for your post. I did not know that I could have them remove the stuff in the mini bar and put my own stuff in it. This is good to know. Am I allowed to bring my own wine on board and if so how much? I understand alcohol is very expensive on the ship. I also drink a lot of cold bottled water and tonic & lime, do they charge for those?
Suzanne
iirc, HA allows 2 bottles of wine to be brought aboard at embarkation. On subsequent port stops, they confiscate alcohol and return it on the day you disembark. And they charge A LOT for water and sodas. One way around that is getting a drink card. They will be available shortly after you board near the buffet. Some cruise lines and discounters will include this perk. My personal 'petty larceny' is to put a box or so of wine in my checked bag for use in the cabin, then order OJ with the above mentioned breakfast room service and use that and some sprite for a sangria in the cabin before dinner.

This business of getting a cruise for a low price is a bit of a mine field. We have said, "It might cost you $500 to get on a cruise, but you'll pay a LOT more to get off it." With the charges for drinks, shore excursions, 'mandatory' tips, charges by the minute for internet, specialty restaurants aboard, fancy coffee drinks, the mini bar, even water conveniently left in the cabin, all suddenly appear on the bill that is automatically charged to the credit card you produce when you board.

You CAN cruise on the cheap, but they make all the 'little extras' seem so innocuous and easy and cheap, 'you're worth it', and that drink-of-the-day with the cute umbrella and beautiful fruit in it looks so good- for only $7.50 (plus 18% gratuity) will add up by the time the cruise ends.

Jim

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
iirc, HA allows 2 bottles of wine to be brought aboard at embarkation. On subsequent port stops, they confiscate alcohol and return it on the day you disembark. And they charge A LOT for water and sodas. One way around that is getting a drink card. They will be available shortly after you board near the buffet. Some cruise lines and discounters will include this perk. My personal 'petty larceny' is to put a box or so of wine in my checked bag for use in the cabin, then order OJ with the above mentioned breakfast room service and use that and some sprite for a sangria in the cabin before dinner.

This business of getting a cruise for a low price is a bit of a mine field. We have said, "It might cost you $500 to get on a cruise, but you'll pay a LOT more to get off it." With the charges for drinks, shore excursions, 'mandatory' tips, charges by the minute for internet, specialty restaurants aboard, fancy coffee drinks, the mini bar, even water conveniently left in the cabin, all suddenly appear on the bill that is automatically charged to the credit card you produce when you board.

You CAN cruise on the cheap, but they make all the 'little extras' seem so innocuous and easy and cheap, 'you're worth it', and that drink-of-the-day with the cute umbrella and beautiful fruit in it looks so good- for only $7.50 (plus 18% gratuity) will add up by the time the cruise ends.

Jim

Since there is just me, 2 bottles of wine will easily get me thru the week. I had no idea they would charge for water, If I buy bottled water in ports of call and take on board will they take it away from me? I will try to get the drink card it seems worth it. I know those mini bars in hotels are extremely expensive and I would never take anything out of one. I would prefer they just empty it out at the beginning of the cruise.
Suzanne

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Tap water is free. Its the bottles of water for which they charge.