• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers:
We are going to Ko Olina next month for the first time. We have a two bedroom villa.
We are not familiar with the resort, but are really looking forward to our two weeks there.
Does anyone have a map of the resort that they would be able to share? Haven't been able to find one anywhere other than google maps which, of course, doesn't give the names of the buildings.
What is the best building to request? We are exchangers and realize that we won't have priority, but have given up two of our platinum Barony weeks, and hope we will at least get a villa with a decent view.
Thanks in advance.

Mudder Bear

Reaction score
ha-ha. Good luck. We were there last year and we had a view looking right into the parking deck. I complained and complained, but (and they NEVER admitted this...I read it elsewhere) from what I gather all IL exchanges get put into this horrible area. We were like on the third floor or something. Now, I am usually a hotel snob and love a good location, but trust me, this was the worst of the worst.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
We exchanged in a few years back and got a first floor looking out on the kids pool. It was far enough away that it didn't bother us. It's a great place, I'm sure you will have a great time. We did have a car, and I would highly recommend one.

Mudder Bear

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I too am an owner at Barony (Gold). Didn't help. After a few days they did move us up to the 7th floor (husband was NOT happy about packing and moving food, clothes etc). But at least we were able to see the Marina and some mountain or something. It was such a let down because we did our first night at the Hilton in Honolulu in a CORNER room. OMG. so we were spoiled. Anyway, after Ko Olina we spent another few nights back in Honolulu at the Sheraton with amazing views of Diamond Head and the water!

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is your room coded? Of its mountain view you'll probably get a parking lot view. If it's ocean view you'll probably get a lower floor ocean /pool view. I have a ocean view exchange. We are on the 6th floor overlooking pools with views of lagoon. I've stayed in all three. All have advantages and disadvantages but you really can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
What is your room coded? Of its mountain view you'll probably get a parking lot view. If it's ocean view you'll probably get a lower floor ocean /pool view. I have a ocean view exchange. We are on the 6th floor overlooking pools with views of lagoon. I've stayed in all three. All have advantages and disadvantages but you really can't go wrong.

PC steven is here and another tugger is also here at mko. I sent them a pm to see if they want to meet up. We can trt to meet up at the marketplace.

Hey you got a pretty good placement. Got assigned a room above the 5th floor. I'm on the 4th floor but did get a corner room.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is no room code on either confirmation certificate. It states that the unit might vary from the one indicated, but nothing is indicated. We always exchange into other Marriotts, and they are usually flexible with room assignments. Of course, there is a pecking order.
Thanks for the heads up. We won't expect too much.
We will be moving to Aulani for a couple of days after this stay. At least we are guaranteed an ocean view with our points.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
The room code is available on Interval International in the My History section -- that's where you can look at historical exchanges and it shows the unit code.

Good luck with your unit assignment, and please let us know where you end up!

Best,

Greg

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
PC steven is here and another tugger is also here at mko. I sent them a pm to see if they want to meet up. We can trt to meet up at the marketplace.

Hey you got a pretty good placement. Got assigned a room above the 5th floor. I'm on the 4th floor but did get a corner room.

Okay I'll be around Friday.

Yes the room is a nice location--Our relatives are there this week, and are MKO owners and only got 6th Floor. IDK why they were put so low.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
The room code is available on Interval International in the My History section -- that's where you can look at historical exchanges and it shows the unit code.

Good luck with your unit assignment, and please let us know where you end up!

Best,

Greg

Thanks Greg.
The room codes are HZZBA and HZZAA.
Looks like we might have to move the second week. This happened last year at MOC, where we had a garden view one week and ocean view the second week.
Oh, well. No complaints. We're happy to have the reservation and are very much looking forward to it!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thanks Greg.
Looks like we might have to move the second week. This happened last year at MOC, where we had a garden view one week and ocean view the second week.
Oh, well. No complaints. We're happy to have the reservation and are very much looking forward to it!

Those are great II trades -- one is a Penthouse Ocean View and the other is an Ocean View. I hope you get to stay in those units (but it is very possible that they will situate you somewhere else). Good luck and let us know!

Best,

Greg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ha-ha. Good luck. We were there last year and we had a view looking right into the parking deck. I complained and complained, but (and they NEVER admitted this...I read it elsewhere) from what I gather all IL exchanges get put into this horrible area. We were like on the third floor or something. Now, I am usually a hotel snob and love a good location, but trust me, this was the worst of the worst.

But why did you complain? Someone has to be assigned a less desirable location, especially as an exchanger, one would expect a less desirable location. If I were working the front desk, I would hate to deal with complainers who are not owners at that resort. I would not have reassigned a complainer to another unit unless there was truly some defect or maintenance issue with that unit.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is probably why we primarily stay in our home resorts.
I am surprised when I read about a number of MVC resorts in Hawaii, mainland USA, Aruba... which have many views limited to parking lots or rubbish bins.
I am fairly sure I would be very disappointed if I travelled half way round the world to exchange into such a view, especially when none of my home resorts have what I could describe as a bad view.
Yes, of course they have some views better than others, but none truly bad.
This does seem like rather poor resort design or am I being unfair?

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are great II trades -- one is a Penthouse Ocean View and the other is an Ocean View. I hope you get to stay in those units (but it is very possible that they will situate you somewhere else). Good luck and let us know!

Best,

Greg

Thanks again Greg.
Hope this info might give us a bit of leverage in avoiding a villa with a parking lot view.
We spend a lot of time on the balcony, so always politely ask for a decent view. Usually, we're successful, but don't complain if our request isn't met.
We check in April 8. Will let you know how we make out!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
No one has responded to your question as to which building to request.

In my opinion, Naia is hand down the best choice, followed by Kona and last by Moana. None are bad choices, however. Since you have a 2BR, if you get assigned to Naia you will most likely have a dedicated 2BR. In the other towers it will for sure be a 2BR lockoff.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thanks Greg.
Fot both units, the coding is for lock off 2br so you will likely be in kona or moana tower. Figure you would get kona tower for the penthouse as they have those units starting on the 6th floor.
At least for the hzzba unit you should get a higher floor. Whenever i have exchanged for a penthouse room i have always gotten a penthouse unit. It has mostly been the 6th floor corner room in kona tower. Enjoy your stay and maybe we can meet up during your 2 weekks at mko?

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fot both units, the coding is for lock off 2br so you will likely be in kona or moana tower. Figure you would get kona tower for the penthouse as they have those units starting on the 6th floor.
At least for the hzzba unit you should get a higher floor. Whenever i have exchanged for a penthouse room i have always gotten a penthouse unit. It has mostly been the 6th floor corner room in kona tower. Enjoy your stay and maybe we can meet up during your 2 weekks at mko?

Hello Frank:

I received the "plan now" email from the resort today, so will call them.
I will make my request based on BocaBoy's information.
We are thrilled to get the exchange, so I'm sure we will be happy with whatever we get.
When are you there? Would love to meet up!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here at mko right now. Then off to hokulani for 8 nights. Then back to mko. Will be at mko for most of april. What day do you checkin?

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here at mko right now. Then off to hokulani for 8 nights. Then back to mko. Will be at mko for most of april. What day do you checkin?

April 8

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will be at mko the same 2 weeks that you are there. Should be a nice easter weekend.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_0726.JPG
Update:
We arrived at Ko Olina on Saturday. When we found out that we were assigned fourth floor in Moana we were disappointed. However, we are really enjoying this villa and location. Moana seems to be more open than the others. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, and are enjoying watching people coming and going, activity at the pool and barbecue.
We can see the ocean and the beautiful sunsets through the trees.

We were told that we will have to move next week, although we would be happy to stay here for two weeks. We will apparently get a penthouse ocean view unit.
However, as someone posted, it will probably be sixth floor of Kona building. There seems to be only one such unit, and it faces this building and parking lot rather than the ocean. Will keep you posted

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Each of the three towers has Oceanview Penthouse villas. I don't think you will be disappointed regardless of where you are placed.

taffy19

Reaction score
Really nice that you can see the sunset right between two palm trees on the fourth floor. We had a similar view once on the third floor at the MOC but it still looked nicer in reality rather than on a photo. I hope that you will not be disappointed with your view next week. It sounds promising.