• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2016 ] Attempt to Surrender Membership with Resortcom, UVC, Villa Group

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
We purchased and paid off a timeshare with Villa Del Palmar about 8 years ago and after years of increasing maintenance fees and the slow realization that most of what the salesman claimed about flexibility options were blatant lies, we stopped paying our maintenance fees and thought we would just lose our ability to use the membership. We were wrong!

We have now been sent to collections for the past several years of fees and we are trying to figure out how to cut our loses and stop the bleeding. I contacted Resortcom and requested a "Membership Surrender Packet" but they won't send it or even talk about the cost or what is involved until the past due amount of $2500 is paid. What I am afraid of is another scam and that once the fees are paid they pretty much tell me there is no such packet or that it is so expensive that it doesn't make sense. I would rather put that $2500 to a lawyer as a last resort.

Has anyone here been successful in terminating a membership? Does this packet really exist and if so, does anyone know what kind of fees they are going to require? We desperately want to put this thing behind us without taking a hit to our credit. I can't even imagine being stuck with this for the next 22 years.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im pretty sure if they have already turned you over to collections, it will likely have already shown up on your credit no?

(note ive never heard of such a thing as a surrender packet...but if they wont provide it to you without you paying thousands of dollars, I cant imagine its a legitimate thing vs just an attempt to get you to pay them more money)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased and paid off a timeshare with Villa Del Palmar about 8 years ago and after years of increasing maintenance fees and the slow realization that most of what the salesman claimed about flexibility options were blatant lies, we stopped paying our maintenance fees and thought we would just lose our ability to use the membership. We were wrong!

We have now been sent to collections for the past several years of fees and we are trying to figure out how to cut our loses and stop the bleeding. I contacted Resortcom and requested a "Membership Surrender Packet" but they won't send it or even talk about the cost or what is involved until the past due amount of $2500 is paid. What I am afraid of is another scam and that once the fees are paid they pretty much tell me there is no such packet or that it is so expensive that it doesn't make sense. I would rather put that $2500 to a lawyer as a last resort.

Has anyone here been successful in terminating a membership? Does this packet really exist and if so, does anyone know what kind of fees they are going to require? We desperately want to put this thing behind us without taking a hit to our credit. I can't even imagine being stuck with this for the next 22 years.
I don't think paying a lawyer will help. Looks like the choice is to either pay up and take your chances that the surrender pack is legit, or don't, and see how much of a credit hit a Mexican timeshare default can cause. Since there is no deed for them to foreclose, and it's your right to answer any negative credit reports, this may all be bluster. Question is, do you feel up to challenging them. They will play hardball, but really don't have much ammunition. (JMHO)

Jim

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
Somebody on another forum just replied that a buddy was in a similar circumstance and the timeshare wants 10 years of fees to surrender!!
Please somebody give me some good news.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its certainly not uncommon for mexican resorts to attempt to extract ridiculous fees from those looking to cancel. they are all hoping you will just "agree and pay"

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
The worst part of this is that we are planning on finally being able to buy a house this spring!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The worst part of this is that we are planning on finally being able to buy a house this spring!
Ouch! That could throw a wrench into the works. You will want to discuss this with your mortgage banker. (Whether to pay and show being current- or default and write the explanation) I'm no banker, but I would prefer a client with extra money and a pissed-off Mexican TS outfit.

If you have already been turned over to collections, all this may be a moot point.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
Turned over but not reported yet...I see you're in Idaho as well. I'm in Boise.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
I am in the process of filing a complaint with the California Attorney Generals office, contacted the Idaho Attorney Generals office and am disputing the charges with Monterey Collections. After some google time, it appears there have been several legal judgements by the California AG office against unethical timeshare companies using similar sales tactics. I also plan on posting as much as possible on social media hoping to draw some negative attention to crooked timeshare companies like United Vacation Club (UVC), Resortcom and Villa Del Palmar. I also plan on contacting PORFECO, which is Mexico's equivalent of the AG.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
good ideas, but id also inform the company that you are doing so..and express your interest yet again in just discontinuing your membership at no penalty to you.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
I might try again tomorrow but it took me forever to talk to a supervisor and they just kept trying to transfer me, turns out to the collection company, saying they could not access my account until it was paid.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
Add Federal Trade Commission to that list. Just finished filing a report. Somebody has to deal with crooks like Resortcom.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have seen numerous posts from people who posted derogatory notes heavily including their name here and on other timeshare and travel sites. They come saying that 'all issues have been resolved' and as a condition of either ending their relationship or reducing costs or whatever, they had to rescind negative posts. Apparently it works. Their Bots will find your posts, and they DON"T like it when sites like Tripadvisor are plastered with warnings about them. You won't get satisfaction overnight, but you will get them to take your calls.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
We have seen numerous posts from people who posted derogatory notes heavily including their name here and on other timeshare and travel sites. They come saying that 'all issues have been resolved' and as a condition of either ending their relationship or reducing costs or whatever, they had to rescind negative posts. Apparently it works. Their Bots will find your posts, and they DON"T like it when sites like Tripadvisor are plastered with warnings about them. You won't get satisfaction overnight, but you will get them to take your calls.

Jim

Fortunately I'm self employed and have plenty of time for that this time of year.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
good ideas, but id also inform the company that you are doing so..and express your interest yet again in just discontinuing your membership at no penalty to you.

I sent an email to Resortcom hoping for a more professional response than the what I have been getting over the phone but pretty much got the same answer back. "We will not talk to you until pay us money."

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
Just in case anyone browsing misses the point here:

Villa Del Palmar is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that victimize innocent people with their bait-and-switch scam.
Villa Del Palmar is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that trap people in a timeshare scam with no resolution.
The Villa Group is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that victimize innocent people with their bait-and-switch scam.
The Villa Group is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that trap people in a timeshare scam with no resolution.
Resortcom is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that victimize innocent people with their bait-and-switch scam.
Resortcom is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that trap people in a timeshare scam with no resolution.
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that victimize innocent people with their bait-and-switch scam.
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) is a Timeshare scam organization of thieves that trap people in a timeshare scam with no resolution.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tug member,beach.bar.bob, has been appointed to the UVC Member Advisory Council. Here is a link to that announcement: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/attn-uvc-owners-villa-del-palmar-arco.233735/
I suggest you send him a private message, he may be able to give you information of the legitimacy, requirements, and procedures of the surrender pack.

It would make perfect sense to me that you would have to pay the owed maintenance fees before you can proceed. DRI has had a buyback going on for over a year; their requirements are that all loans are paid off and maintenance fees are up to date. You will then have to pay $250 to complete the buyback. Pelican Resort Club in St marten did the same thing several years ago. Good luck!

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
Tug member,beach.bar.bob, has been appointed to the UVC Member Advisory Council. Here is a link to that announcement: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/attn-uvc-owners-villa-del-palmar-arco.233735/
I suggest you send him a private message, he may be able to give you information of the legitimacy, requirements, and procedures of the surrender pack.

It would make perfect sense to me that you would have to pay the owed maintenance fees before you can proceed. DRI has had a buyback going on for over a year; their requirements are that all loans are paid off and maintenance fees are up to date. You will then have to pay $250 to complete the buyback. Pelican Resort Club in St marten did the same thing several years ago. Good luck!

Thanks for the info junkie. I will definitely reach out to him.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> It would make perfect sense to me that you would have to pay the owed maintenance fees before you can proceed. <snip>

This is standard procedure at virtually any and every timeshare that accepts "deedbacks" (or RTU contract terminations), whether the facility is "chain" associated (e.g., Wyndham, DRI, etc.) or an "independent" property. Whether "processing fees" or some additional amount funds equivalent to "advance maintenance fees" might also be required varies, but a current account which is not in arrears is surely the bare minimum for acceptance anywhere.
In a Mexican RTU / membership however, they might just make up the rules as they go along, in order to more effectively separate Gringos from Dollars.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> I also plan on contacting PORFECO, which is Mexico's equivalent of the AG.

It's PROFECO ---and only in its' wildest dreams and / or hallucinations is it anything even remotely "Mexico's equivalent of the AG". :rolleyes:

I genuinely wish you luck and success, but it's a very steep uphill climb to overcome the indisputable fact of multiple years of unpaid annual fee obligations.
Whatever you do, don't pay any attorney $2.5k seeking a miracle that just plain ain't gonna happen. You would be far better off (IMO) using that $2.5k to just "get square" with your accumulated annual fee debt and then just get rid of the unwanted "membership" contract obligation once and for all, if you can.

Lying sales weasel statements which are not reflected in writing anywhere within the associated contract is not news --- not in Mexico and not in the U.S.
Also, your membership acquisition was 10 years ago now. These collective facts and time frames certainly do not work in your favor at this late juncture.
In any case, good luck.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somebody on another forum just replied that a buddy was in a similar circumstance and the timeshare wants 10 years of fees to surrender!!
Please somebody give me some good news.

You really need to first accurately determine the processes and fees applicable to you at your specific facility under your specific membership (assuming for the sake of discussion that you might be willing to resolve the outstanding debt which has accumulated over the past years).

In other words, I would respectfully note that a third hand hearsay report regarding what might be the processes and procedures in place at an entirely different resort with a contract / membership different from yours is just an anecdote which might not apply to you at all. If your parasites would also require 10 years of maintenance fees even after resolving your outstanding $2.5k debt for past unpaid fees, then it may be time to at least consider telling them to go pound sand -- and just accept the consequences of defaulting. That, of course, is entirely your own personal decision to make, but don't make it until you acquire and assess all of the current and accurate facts, figures and information on any and all available, reasonable "exit" options.

Last edited:

Centurion

Reaction score
When they report the debt to collections your credit will take a hit. Paying off the collection will not do much to repair your credit. The only way is to communicate with the resort and reach a written deal with them to accept the unit back for payment or partial payment of fees owed. Make sure you get it in writing that they are willing to accept the unit back for your payment but also make it a condition that they eliminate the ding on your credit report. If they do not agree to this you might as well just stay in default as was suggested above and allow the 7 year time line on the debt reporting to expire. The choice is up to you. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing so much trouble here.

jrider

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Group
Thanks for the input. I am a bit of a holding pattern right now as I wait for the BBB, FTC, CFPB, CA ID and NV AG offices, PROFECO and who ever else I submitted complaints to about Villa Del Palmar, UVC, Resortcom and Monterey Collections to contact them and get responses back.

As for the credit side of things, I am also a member of a credit forum and have this whole thing plastered all over their forum and have been getting advice on how to dispute, validate and draw this thing out as long as possible to allow some of these other things to run their course.

I'm also working on letters to state representatives in 4 states hoping to widen the scope of attention to the fraudulent sales and management practices in the industry to Mexican timeshares. The timing is actually pretty good considering the fact that there are class action suits and state AG offices looking into Wyndham, CA Monarch, Marriott, The Manhattan Club and Diamond Resorts for fraud and various misdealings.

I'm hoping after they get bombarded with the complaints that they will decide to open communications and get this thing taken care of in a reasonable manner. If not, I have until March when I get busy with work again to be a major pain in their asses.