• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help rescinding Welk contract

Orange17

Reaction score
My husband and I took a tour on Saturday (11/20/10) of the Welk resort in Escondido and unfortunately ended up signing a contract for an EOY 1br/120,000 points. We have thought about it and have changed our minds. We would now like to rescind. If anyone has experience dealing with Welk, I would really appreciate any and all the help you can give (addresses, forms used, etc.) Please help! Thank you!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. Glad you found us in time. Rescinding will save you thousands. The instructions for rescinding will be found in the material you got from them. Probably very fine print. I have no personal info on Welk, or any other, but from some years of reading others' instructions, here's what I've picked up. Follow the instructions EXACTLY. If they say certified mail, do it. If they say Fed-Ex, do it that way.

It probably won't do any good and will just add you your aggravation to contact the salesman. You can bet s/he will contact you with a huge bargain before this is done. Don't believe it.

Rescind, then if you are still interested in a timeshare, come on back and poke around TUG. There are some huge bargains now- at 0% to 20% of developer prices. It's safe to say the vast majority of us love luxury vacations at Motel 6 prices.

Best wishes....

Jim Ricks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is some info. about rescinding, it was written for a different company, but besides that, everything applies to you.

Orange17

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm going to do it all today & hopefully mail it out with the last pick up. One other question, any idea on the success rate of rescinding Welk contracts?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
As long as you follow the directions exactly, within the legal timeframe, you should be able to rescind - it's your legal right. See the post above for more info.

Orange17

Reaction score
DeniseM, any thoughts on rescinding in person? I live about 45 minutes away from the resort & if doing it in person will help process the info faster, I'd gladly drive up there today. Is it possible to rescind in person?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually - rescinding in person is a bad idea. You will be put under tremendous pressure not rescind and it will be a very uncomfortable situation. I would definitely do it by mail and keep it impersonal.

Last edited:

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The address that you send the rescinion to could be different than the resort or sales staff you dealt with. So, exactly following the instructions in your packet is very important!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thought...

I'm going to do it all today & hopefully mail it out with the last pick up.

Assuming that your rescission instructions specifically identify U.S. mail as the vehicle for delivery of your cancellation, go to the Post Office and use certified mail. Using certified mail will produce a date stamped receipt of your mailing, unlike just dropping a package it into a mailbox and "hoping for the best".

Whether or not the recipient signs a return receipt is basically irrelevant --- you're merely providing yourself with some retrievable documentary proof of having met applicable recission deadlines, just in case the recipient later tries to falsely claim that you failed to do so.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DeniseM, any thoughts on rescinding in person? I live about 45 minutes away from the resort & if doing it in person will help process the info faster, I'd gladly drive up there today. Is it possible to rescind in person?

As long as you follow the directions provided and get everything done within the rescission deadline you will have no problem rescinding. If you were to rescind in person by the end of the day you will have wasted about three hours, burned up about six or seven gallons of gas, and added unnecessary wear and tear on your car.

The only reason to rescind in person would be if it were necessary to have the documents delivered (not shipped or mailed) by a specific day and that was the only way to get them there on time. Then, as pointed out, there is the matter that the address for notifying of rescission is not necessarily the same as the sales office location. Some operations deliberately make those different addresses, as they don't want people who might be dissatisfied with their purchase hanging around the sales office.

++++++

The rescission terms will also likely require that you return all membership materials provided to you. That could be a pretty hefty chunk of materials, which could be expensive to ship on an overnight or two-day delivery.

So read the terms of the rescission carefully. You will likely find that the only document that actually has to be returned by a specific date/time is the rescission notice itself; the terms might simply say that the other materials must also be returned. In that case, you don't need to pay premium shipping charges for that big bulk of material.

But you should clearly state in the transmittal that the other materials have been sent separately, and say what that method is, including a tracking number or post office receipt. That way it is crystal clear that you have complied with all of the terms of rescission.

Last edited:

Orange17

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your advice! I will follow the instructions for rescission and will post an update when I get a response. Wish me luck!

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are successful in rescinding, please do not give up on timesharing. You picked an excellent resort. Just check for sales on ebay rather than retail and also read a lot on this site. Funtime

suser

Reaction score
Cancellation

Were you able to cancel your contract? I got suckered in just today. I'm already having second thoughts!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were you able to cancel your contract? I got suckered in just today. I'm already having second thoughts!

Rescinding isn't difficult and it's your legal RIGHT. Please find the instructions in your purchase papers and follow them exactly. I recommend that you DO NOT call the company and ask for help/advice - they will help you by stalling until it's too late to cancel. Rescind by mail and keep copies of everything.

Then you can take your time, do your homework, and purchase on the resale market for pennies on the dollar - with no pressure...

You want to rescind immediately - you only have a certain number of days.

suser

Reaction score
Cancellation confirmation

I have written my notice of cancellation and will be mailing it certified first thing tomorrow. How will I know that the contract has been cancelled? Should I ask for a confirmation?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have written my notice of cancellation and will be mailing it certified first thing tomorrow. How will I know that the contract has been cancelled? Should I ask for a confirmation?

They will contact you.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Timeshare can be great, but not at retail prices

You should hear from them within a week or so. Should they ask you to "reconsider" or otherwise temp you with a "deal" just say no. You have the right to rescind and now that you are better informed you know that the value in timeshare, Welk or any other you may decide to get, is by purchasing resale. That may be as low as free for the cost of closing or at least 80-90% below the exact same week(s) from retail.

Congratulations on find help before your right to get out of a bad decision ran out.

suser

Reaction score
Notice of cancellation received

They finally called and acknowledged that they received my cancellation notice. I called back but no answer and theyll be closed tomorrow and Thursday. They said that they have a couple of questions to ask.

Thank you so much to this forum! I really thought it was hard to back out of this contract.

Thanks u guys!

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
They finally called and acknowledged that they received my cancellation notice. I called back but no answer and theyll be closed tomorrow and Thursday. They said that they have a couple of questions to ask.

Thank you so much to this forum! I really thought it was hard to back out of this contract.

Thanks u guys!

The only question(s) they need to ask you are geared towards convincing you to keep the timeshare. If you did everything correctly, they don't need you to answer any further questions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You don't have to call back, but if you do, expect them to:

Sweeten the pot with a "better" offer.
Tell you a sob story about the sales person losing the commission.
Question your ethics for rescinding.
Put a lot of pressure on you to reconsider.

Don't get embroiled in a long discussion - get ready to say "No Thank You," very firmly, and several times.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

You don't have to call back...

Denise makes several good points above. I would simply add that any post-rescission verbal conversation is (in addition to being entirely unnecessary and unproductive) can also potentially be conveniently "misinterprested" by the desperate folks about to lose their sale as your "expressing reconsideration".

My advice is to "say it only in writing" ---- and then say not another word.
Your timely submission of the written and signed exercise of your legal rights, as provided by pertinent state law, is all that is required or appropriate. There aren't any further "questions" to be asked or answered.

Close that door and lock it shut.

arc918

Reaction score
The only question(s) they need to ask you are geared towards convincing you to keep the timeshare. If you did everything correctly, they don't need you to answer any further questions.

Agreed big time!

I'd be inclined to confirm that the contract was indeed canceled correctly and then hang up on them.

edze

Reaction score
Welk Rescission

Hi group, just wanted to post a similar experience as well. After jumping the gun on a purchase last Sunday, me and my wife realized that the costs outweighed the benefits, especially after reading the forums. I respect that it is the salesperson's job to generate revenue in order to support him\herself, but not at the expense of a family or couple who do not know what exactly they are getting into.
Anyways, after reading these forums, then reading the public notice buried in the booklet of paperwork, consulting the Federal Trade Commission Website, the State of California, and a couple of my real estate attorney friends, you are entitled to rescind and cancel the time share purchase with no obligation or penalty AND full entitlement to a refund towards all monies put towards the deposit of the time share program.
In my Welk packet, it says you can fax or send mail to the specific address indicated in the documentation by the resort. Just to be absolutely certain, I compared and confirmed the mailing address information found in the rescission rights form that has to be, by law, affixed to the front of the public record that they have to give you. I faxed and sent them, via certified mail, our right to cancel within the rescission period.
I haven't received a call from them yet but I am sure it will soon come, as I have heard with other individuals. Once the chaos is over I plan to do a write up of my experience and include any pertinent information to help others who may one day find themselves in a similar situation. Thanks and I'm glad I found this board!

poohlein

Reaction score
pls help rescinding for welk resort

Im having a panic attack if I did my rescinding letter the right way. I sent already but second guessing myself.
One paper explained to do cancel by written request and send to welk resort group attn preview center. The other paper is part of the public notice I believe saying to send to welk resort group, INC. And no attn to. But seems like im supposedly have to fill out that specific form. (Its the first page of public notice) I dont know if im over thinking it.
I also want to ask if I need to rescind with interval international or does it atomatically cancels if I rescind from welk resort?
I just want to do it right. And get out of this nightmare. Thank u

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the cost of 2 or 3 or 4 sets of Certified Mailing plus regular mail copies to EACH and EVERY address you FIND in the packet? About $7.00? So is 4 sets of mailings ($28) cheaper than the dollars spent on this developer purchase? NO?

Mail IT EVERYWHERES! One or more will be correct!

Jus don't go to the sales office to talk or give them a copy or to ASK them where to mail it.... THEIR ONLY GOAL is to save their commission check!

DO IT TODAY - even if you have to take a cab to the US POST OFFICE.

Remember, the legal standard in the USA is "Regular Mail copy and a Certified Mail with Return Receipt copy". And keep a copy for YOURSELF with the Green & White post office receipt (stamped with date & their seal). You should get back in the mail, the GREEN POST CARD after they get your certified mail copy...

Remember, there is NO SECOND CHANCES - Do it today - tomorrow you could get hit by a train.

PS Most post offices have coin copy machines and will sell you envelopes. You can hand write out the rescind letter on any blank piece of paper --- even the back of a junk page of the contract. Photo copy it, sign each copy and MAIL away. And you can google USPS locations on your smart phone or via a computer with driving directions.