• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Discovery program

BaelorSwift

Reaction score
Greetings friends! My fiancé and I had attended one of those timeshare meetings with a bunch of friends to get the free gift and after seeing what they offered was initially interesting but at the end I was not comfortable making such a commitment and a large decision in such short notice in the spot. They then offered the discovery program in which my fiancé said she was okay with so we decided to sign up.
We figured we would just use the points for our honeymoon after the wedding later this year. We paid 3279 for 20,000 points.
After coming home and sleeping on it we flipped through the book of where we could spend our honeymoon! After noticing some of the locations that were showed to us prior we’re not available we were initially a little bummed out. Now after reading the contract and fine print that the points may not even be used on RCI or flights I’m really no longer interested. My fiancé believes we can still make it worthwhile but I’m unsure. Looking for some advice! Should we rescind? And how would that work as we paid in full using a line of credit we opened under a citizens pay account through Wyndham. Or am I thinking too much into it and we can make it work for us? Is it a bad deal? Thanks friends!

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Greetings friends! My fiancé and I had attended one of those timeshare meetings with a bunch of friends to get the free gift and after seeing what they offered was initially interesting but at the end I was not comfortable making such a commitment and a large decision in such short notice in the spot. They then offered the discovery program in which my fiancé said she was okay with so we decided to sign up.
We figured we would just use the points for our honeymoon after the wedding later this year. We paid 3279 for 20,000 points.
After coming home and sleeping on it we flipped through the book of where we could spend our honeymoon! After noticing some of the locations that were showed to us prior we’re not available we were initially a little bummed out. Now after reading the contract and fine print that the points may not even be used on RCI or flights I’m really no longer interested. My fiancé believes we can still make it worthwhile but I’m unsure. Looking for some advice! Should we rescind? And how would that work as we paid in full using a line of credit we opened under a citizens pay account through Wyndham. Or am I thinking too much into it and we can make it work for us? Is it a bad deal? Thanks friends!
You should rescinded immediately and get your money back, this isn’t worth it, and candidly, 20,000 points isn’t enough to do almost anything with. You can get Wyndham points basically for free on eBay, if you want to own Wyndham, buy resale. I’ve got 650,000 points resale, at low maintenance fee resorts, that I got for less than closing costs (and far less than the $3,279 you paid).

With that all that said, if you aren’t sure if you want to commit to a timeshare (the reason for doing the discovery program), then you should just rent until you decide. That will be more cost-effective than the discovery program. Either way, i would rescind.

As far as what will have pen, they will refund your money so you won’t owe anything to the institution you opened that line of credit with.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm hoping 20,000 was a typo and the poster meant 200,000 points. Even at 200k that's only enough to get you a week in a one, maybe a two bedroom, in prime season at most but not all of the resorts. If you go in the lower point seasons and stay in a studio or a one bedroom you might be able to stretch the points to get you as much as two weeks. At $3279 that's a really expensive week or possibly two weeks.

You'd be better off rescind this and use the money to buy something resale. Unfortunately Wyndham closings are taking as long as 5 months. Maybe 4 months if it's a Club Wyndham Access contract not deeded points. Also if it closes in the second half of the use year you likely won't get the points from that use year.

You'd be better off looking for a resale at a non Wyndham resort that gives you an RCI points account or an II, Interval International, account. If it's RCI you can frequently book Wyndham resorts. With II you can book Marriott resorts. Both systems offer a lot if options besides Wyndham or Marriott.

A lot of people like the Vacation Village resort, Grandview at Las Vegas, for an RCI points account. The maintenance fees give you good bang for the buck.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Did you mean 200,000 points? 20,000 won’t get you more than one or two nights at most Wyndham resorts. If you paid over $3,000 for 20,000, points, you’ve been had and should rescind if you’re still within the rescission period. We used the Discovery program about ten years ago and it worked well for us. I think we initially purchased 225,000 points which got us a week at Bonnet Creek. We went on to make a developers purchase the following year and have since made additional resale purchases. It works well for us but we’re retired and can travel pretty much whenever we want. It isn’t for everyone, especially if you have school age kids and/or demanding jobs with limited vacation days.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Is this Wyndham or Worldmark? 20,000 credits (WM version of points) makes sense for Worldmark but not Wyndham. Wyndham is the management company for Worldmark and they like to blue the lines, but they are completely different systems.
Regardless; rescind and get out of it. Using points for airfare or any non-timeshare stays is a bad use of your maintenance fees.
Wyndham sales has a bad reputation because they lie. They will pretend you can get anywhere anytime, but that simply isn't true. You can get a lot of great options, but you have to plan well in advance for the good stuff (i.e. the stuff most other people want). If your focus is using this for your honeymoon; where and when? We can tell you if it's a realistic option.
So ask questions here. We can help you sort out whether a timeshare is a good fit. Regardless of system, though, resale is the way to go.