• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which devp'ts are ON swimmable beaches?

hibbert6

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're looking at purchasing a T/S on any of the islands, but want to buy at a complex that is either right on, or, say within 100 yards of, a swimmable /maybe snorkel-able beach. Please share your knowledge! :) (Unfortunately, we can't afford Marriott or Westin...) Thanks!
Dave

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Poipu Point, Kauai might meet your criteria

Dave,

Poipu Point on Kauai is right on the ocean and within a very short walk to Shipwrecks Beach. If you go to their website, http://www.kauaiembassy.com/, select The Resort oval, then select Resort Virtual Tours on the left. After the initial load, select The Point. You can then view the buildings and ocean front. If you "stand" with the buildings behind you and "move" to your left, you will see Shipwreck beach, a short walk away. If you put the cursor over the beach, a red rectangle will appear with "Take a stroll to Shipwrecks Beach", click here and you'll get a view of the beach back to Poipu Point. There are many other beaches within a short distance. You might seach for Mahaulepu Beach (actually three beaches, Gillin"s, Kawailoa Bay, and Haula Beach, make up this beach). Its also part of the virtual tour (another red rectangle from Shipwrecks Beach). Another is Poipu Beach Park.

Dollie

hotmike98

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not consider Shipwreck beach to be swimmable. There's a reason it got that name, and a reason they have such a huge pool at the Hyatt that fronts it. Poipu Beach Park is very swimmable and has great snorkeling, but you would need to drive (3 minutes, but a long walk over the hill with all your beach gear) from EVR. Lawaii Beach Resort is directly across the street from a pretty beach, but I have no been in the water there, maybe someone else knows.

Napili One is within 100 yards of Napili Beach (so is Gardens of West Maui?) which is very swimmable and has great snorkeling. Neither of these resorts have ocean views, but are as close as you can get without a view. There are a couple of t/s resorts in Kahana area on Maui--Ocean Front, with a beach, but not the kind of protected cove that makes for great snorkeling. Never stayed in Kihei, maybe others can comment.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
The Whaler

The Whaler on Kaanapali in Maui is on a great swimmable beach - although it may be in the range of Marriott or Westin in price.
Babs

Tiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawai Beach Resort is, as stated, right on the beach. Detractors will say the 1st part of the water is rocky, and it is, except for a 20 ft wide coridor, which is obvious. It is also the 2nd best snorkling beach on Kauai, and the best on the sunny south side. Many many species of fish, + rays,+ sea turtles and the occasional monk seal. The beach is relatively slim especially at high tide, but more frequently usable than the beaches in the North. We generally use the adjacent grassy fron of the Beach House Restaurant.

FWIW shipwreck beach is a great area for experienced surfers but known as dangerous otherwise. Many submerged large boulders in the surf.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Check out One Napili Way on Maui

The resort is very close to the beach, is makai (ocean side of the road) and has three bedroom units. You can see pictures at www.onenapiliway.com

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
hotmike98 said:
I would not consider Shipwreck beach to be swimmable. There's a reason it got that name, and a reason they have such a huge pool at the Hyatt that fronts it. Poipu Beach Park is very swimmable and has great snorkeling, but you would need to drive (3 minutes, but a long walk over the hill with all your beach gear) from EVR. …
That's only true if you take the long way to Poipu Beach Park (along the road). The paved walking trail (through the Poipu Kai development) is straighter, shorter, and bypasses the hill. It puts you at Poipu beach right in front of the Boogie board area, by the Nihi Kai condos.

The surf at Shipwreck Beach makes Shipwreck a mediocre swimming beach, but an excellent boogie boarding beach and beginner surfing beach (but not for complete neophyte surfers). If you have kids for whom those types of activities are more appealing, Shipwreck may be a better choce than Poipu.

Snorkeling is marginal at Shipwreck - the beach in front of Lawai Beach is by far the best for snorkeling. The area at Lawai Beach is not particularly good for swimming; Poipu Beach is really the only place that has good swimming in that area of Kaua`i.

The timeshare projects that front on Poipu beach are the new Marriott and Nihi Kai. Within the Nihi Kai project, only about two or three condos are timeshare, so Nihi Kai units are hard to find. All of the units at Nihi Kai are fixed weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Napili beach is by far the most beautiful on Maui

I should have added that One Napili Way is just 100 feet away from Napili Beach, the most beautiful beach on Maui. The resort sells its weeks on its site and we saw them in person. They do not charge outrageous prices, have eoy weeks for a very reasonable price that they sell directly from their website. There aren't a variety of prices--just two, annual and eoy. The units are gorgeous. We are smitten. You won't get a half-price heli ride for stopping by, they just show you the unit and say, "do you like it, do you want it?"

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
Swimmable beachs in Kauai...

Lawai Beach Resort, as previously mentioned, fronts a very good snorkling location. The sand beach is small, but usually not too crowded. Not much shade and its a pretty rocky entrance to the water except for one wide spot through the coral.

The Kauai Marriott fronts a wide sand beach on a bay. Easily swimmable, no large waves or rocky coral. Great for kids. As a result of no coral, there is also little to no snorkling to see fish and other wildlife.

Plenty of shade and lounge chairs just off the sand under the palms.

There is some snorkling at the north end of the bay near the bay exit. The water can be pretty choppy out there and there won't be many snorklers.

...Mark

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
what other resorts on maui have great swimmable beaches

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
jjking42 said:

Maui Prince, but that's not a timeshare developement. :D

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
http://www.onenapiliway.com/map1.htm
This map shows condos along the most beautiful, swimmable, sunbatheable (new word), beach on Maui. Gardens at West Maui is across the street from Napili and is very reasonably priced on the resale market.

Kapalua beach is the second prettiest beach but I don't know where to find that map with resorts listed like this one.

Honestly, for $8,950 for eoy, One Napili Way is a bargain. I am a cheap person, very, very cheap, and this is within most budgets. If you go every year, it's easy math because it is twice the eoy.

Check it out and let me know what you think. You will not find any weeks resale because they resell weeks for the owners for the price they originally paid minus $800.00.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
jjking42 said:
Just like Luanne said, there are tons of resorts on great beaches in Maui, just not many TIMESHARE resorts :)

hibbert6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank You!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all of the great information & advice. With these low airfares available, maybe we'll go check these places out this summer! Again, thank you all.
Dave

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
jjking42 said:
Embassy Maui, Westin Ka anapali, Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Sands of Kahana, Kahana Beach Vacation Club, Honolani, Valley Isle Reort are all OF on Maui

taffy19

Reaction score
Your choice is not easy to find

When we were recently in Hawaii, we stopped by a Timeshare Resales office in Lahaina to find out if there were any resales at the Marriott to compare prices with the developer and the resale market. We spoke with a very low key, patient salesman who may give you his honest opinion what the best beaches are on any of the Islands for swimming mainly and some snorkeling too. He should know all the beaches there and not be too biased since he is not a timeshare owner. The fellow's name was Gordon Gates and he is there three times a week. The Broker in Charge is Mark Mullen but we never talked to him. Gordon looked all the resorts up for us and wrote the resale prices down too. His phone number is 1-800-923-7700 or 1-808-667-7773.

http://www.timeshareresaleshawaii.com/

There are quite a few timeshare resales offices, we noticed later but I would contact him again if we were interested in buying a resale unless you use eBay or any of these type of web pages.

We went to see all the Marriott timeshares this time but we also stopped by older timeshare resorts on all four Islands to see if they were on the ocean and what the beaches were like. We drove all the way to One Napili Way in Maui since one TUGger here highly recommended this resort and the beautiful beach for snorkeling (what we are mainly interested in) but we never found it as we drove to the end of that road. We also stopped by the Lawaii Beach Resort in Kauai at Poipu and the beach is right across the road. We saw people snorkeling there but it is a very tiny beach. I like the beach better in front of the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club for swimming and snorkeling and we saw people surfing too. However, you have to drive from the one resort to the other. If I were you, I would talk with this salesman to find out what Island to focus on. It is very hard to find a timeshare resort on a nice sandy beach where you also can go snorkeling. There are some available but they are most likely the Hotel chain type of timeshare resorts because they have the very best locations. Good luck. If I were you, I would rent first. Here is a not too expensive condo rental right on a beautiful sandy beach. :)

http://www.menehuneshores.com/index.html

It is practically next to the Maui Schooner and the Maui Sunset where we have owned a timeshare unit well over 20 years but that would not be for you since it is definitely not a beach for swimming because it has a reef. We use the beach for walking mainly and snorkel almost every day at Ulua Beach in Wailea seven miles away.

taffy19

Reaction score
Correction!

This is the resort I meant to give you because of the very nice beach which is called Sugar Beach:

http://www.sugarbeachresort.net/

Menehuni Shores doesn't have a beach in front of the resort either but to the right of the resort. I always get these two resorts mixed up. Both are in Kihei but neither one is a timeshare condo resort, I believe but they have rental units on or next to a nice sandy beach. :eek: I quickly checked the Trip Advisor and this one has some good reviews. :cool:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone stay at kahana falls ? sands does not have ac correct ?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some of the Sands do have a/c but not all. It would be necessary for the oceanview units because late afternoon and again when the sun sets, those units would heat up a little.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any owners of One Napili Way that could provide some of their opinions of the resort, location, etc.? :confused:

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare Beaches

Embassy Poipu is not on a beach--I own there.
Lawai Beach is across the street from a beach, not on it.--I stayed there.
Not all Sands of Kahana units facing the ocean have AC--I stayed there.
One NaPali Way is not on a beach. I visited there.

Sterling :(

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai Kid - One NaPali Way is not on a beach. I visited there.

How far from the beach is One NaPali Way and what is your opinion of the resort? Is it in a good location overall?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if i cant get a timeshare on the beach with ac. what are the best hotels on maui ?

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
I'll only speak of places I have stayed - there are so many others so keep asking...

In Wailea - Grand Wailea is great if your ready for lots of people. Beautiful grounds pools beach views. Four Seasons is spectacular and right next door. Has great restaurants, grounds and impecable service. The Kea Lani is beautiful - haven't stayed there but had breakfast there last month. After seeing it I realize that I am going to stay there for a couple of nights. Sometime...

In Kihei - the Mana Kai condominiums are on a lovely beach - they have a nice little pool with bbq's as well. We had fantasies of purchasing a condo there but had to re-evaluate and bought a timeshare at the Whaler instead. Much easier on the pocketbook. Teeny units - but GREAT views.

In Kaanapali - you can rent units at the Whaler through Aston hotels or through owners (searching online...). Some units are timeshare, some privately owned and some are owned by Aston. Great long beach.

Napili Kai Beach Club is a great property on a GREAT beach. Nice relaxed beachy hawaiian feel. We eat breakfast there and will stay there soon - it is just too picturesque. We have friends that go to Maui every summer for two weeks and stay there each time. I thought they were nuts until I saw the property. I can see why now...

Try Priceline (after researching on BiddingforTravel) for great rates. I got a room for my golfing husband a room at the Mariott Wailea for $140 a night last month using them.

Happy hunting, Babs

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
riverdees05 said:
How far from the beach is One NaPali Way and what is your opinion of the resort? Is it in a good location overall?

I don't know what your definition of a resort is.....but One Napili Way is a small converted condo complex, I would not call it a "resort" in the terms that one would think of a resort...like the Westin or Marriott.

It is located about 1 block from the ocean front, it is in an area called Napili, near Kapalua, there a lot of smaller, older hotel-motels and condo complexes in the area but not a real busy touristy area like Keihi or Kaanapali.

With Maui, it all depends what you are looking for, to purchase there without visiting would not be a good decision, ask 5 people about what area they like on Maui...and you will get 5 different answers, even what you would call a "swim able beach" can be subject to different opinions.

Good Luck