• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Well, I knew my medical insurance was expensive, and now it's official

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
And they are out back puffing away during smoke breaks.
We often go to Rochester, MN where the Mayo Clinics are located. It's amazing to see so many doctors and nurses walking down the street while smoking cigarettes.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's face reality... unfortunately smoking, eating an unhealthy diet, and lack of exercise are ALL major factors associated with the high health costs in America.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I know someone who was successfully treated for fatty liver with a low-carb diet. In his case the culprit was orange juice, not pop. The doctor said orange juice is frequently a problem since rarely is it served in those little shot glasses like back in the '60s, and it's perceived by patients to be a healthy alternative to pop.

LOL, I knew about where you lived before I checked. I was born in Ashtabula, OH on Lake Erie, as were Mom, Dad and every living relative. We moved from there when I was 2, and after living almost 60 years in the Los Angeles area people ask where I was born when I call Pepsi or 7Up pop!

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahem...you just contradicted yourself. :) And where do you draw the line on junk food vs non junk food? It goes a lot further than chips and soda. It gets complicated.

I would think the only way to make inroads down this path, is to somehow make the food companies financially accountable for the health care issues they are indirectly responsible for. That seems more fair. It would be similar to what has been happening to the tobacco companies.
My understanding is that the single most important thing to watch out for is the number of calories.
In other words, a person can eat a diet of mostly salad and vegetables and still be obese, because they consume too much of it.
And a person can eat hamburgers, potato chips, drink sugary drinks, etc, every day, and have a normal weight if they maintain the total number of calories they inget daily in a healthy range.
From my view point, the problem is not cheap greasy food and sugary drinks, the problem is cheap food.
Taxing food companies is one way to make food more expensive, but that's probably not going to happen. However it happens, we need to find a way to eat fewer calories, while still getting all the nutrients we need.
My guess is that our health care insurance system will continue to be broken for a long time, because it seems to me that this is not an issue that can be fixed by government, instead our culture needs to change, and that won't happen overnight.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I know someone who was successfully treated for fatty liver with a low-carb diet. In his case the culprit was orange juice, not pop. The doctor said orange juice is frequently a problem since rarely is it served in those little shot glasses like back in the '60s, and it's perceived by patients to be a healthy alternative to pop.

Interesting. I know what you mean about the shot glasses. My husband is an orange juice drinker and loves a nice glass every morning. I usually drink a half tumbler of grapefruit juice every morning.

Low carb- hard to do. Not that I am high carb, but I love my weekly pasta fix!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Let's face reality... unfortunately smoking, eating an unhealthy diet, and lack of exercise are ALL major factors associated with the high health costs in America.

I work in healthcare and I can tell you it is very stressful and yes- many employees smoke and sometimes don't eat very healthy type lunches.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Medical personnel are ordinary people. Think there has to be a personal cost and motivation to make a change. I know we get a discount on our health insurance based on an annual health screening if you meet certain criteria and they offer free health care coaching.

I got a good laugh reading this thread talking about MedicaidMedicare recipients and what they should and should not be allowed to purchase!

Having spent a lot of time in the hospital lately I cannot tell you how many overweight medical professionals I have seen! If you cannot get them to eat healthy how can you possibly expect the rest of the people to?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We often go to Rochester, MN where the Mayo Clinics are located. It's amazing to see so many doctors and nurses walking down the street while smoking cigarettes.

I know a clinic worker in Rochester who wears a scrub type outfit that some might guess she's a nurse when she's a office assistant, no nurse schooling or back ground. I can easily imagine she walks around smoking on the way to/from her car. Housekeeping and other services wear color coded scrub type uniforms where I'm at, can't assume they are all doctors/nurses unless you can read the name tag. I have heard male nurses referred to as doctor :ponder: and aides with a 6 week certificate as nurses:shrug: . (maybe I'm being too picky but.....)

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Whatever they make is not nearly enough! My nurses literally saved my life during my last stay. Probably would have bled out without their professionalism!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Medical personnel are ordinary people. Think there has to be a personal cost and motivation to make a change.
And in the towns I have lived, too many police officers are overweight. They could never chase a suspect. I think long ago a fitness standard applied, but I doubt that is now true.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Did you ask him how much was his cell phone bill monthly?
Is he driving a newer car? And does he have insurance on the car?
Could he get a part time job?
Has he cut out primo coffee and lattes?
Did he look for a cheaper apartment?

His premium is less than $85 per week.

Yikes...the nephew probably doesn't want to be grilled by his aunt! I'm surprised you didn't ask her to ask him if he smokes and to give up smoking! I remember when cigs were 50 cents a pack...aren't they something like 5 bucks a pack now? Who can afford that? Plus the "lifestyle illnesses" that are caused by smoking...that cost is passed onto all insured people, even if they do not smoke. Smoking and crappy "food" and sodas full of high fructose corn syrup are causing so much cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other "lifestyle illnesses" in the USA...but some folks never learn or just don't seem to care to take personal responsibility.

IMO one of the biggest problems = ripoff pharmaceutical companies. And the publicly traded drugstore chains. Example: my hubby takes 5 pills and ran out of one so we had to get a quick 30 day RX which we were forced to buy from a retail chain instead of our mail order company we use that's been so great for generics (RX Outreach, in Missouri...highly recommended). Anyway...the same pill would have cost $45 for a three months supply via RX Outreach, but since we needed 'em right away and had the doc call it into CVS, we were asked to pay $186 for three months worth of same drug...also a generic! I told them to put it all back and just sell us a month's worth...still cost $62 but we had to pay the piper since we didn't keep better track of when we'd run out. Thankfully only one of his meds has to be bought from a drugstore chain/retailer; the other 4 meds he takes are generic and bought in 90 day shipments from RX Outreach.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's the pharmaceutical companies, oh no, wait, it's the insurance companies, oh no, wait, it's cigarettes, oh no, it's sugary drinks and fast food companies (the list goes on, and on...)

Oh, but I know who it couldn't be, it could never be us hurting our own health and wanting others to cover our healthcare bills. :ponder:

It could never be like that (sarcasm intended).

That's why this will never be "resolved":bawl::bawl::bawl:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Interesting. I know what you mean about the shot glasses. My husband is an orange juice drinker and loves a nice glass every morning. I usually drink a half tumbler of grapefruit juice every morning.

Low carb- hard to do. Not that I am high carb, but I love my weekly pasta fix!
Don't drink that grapefruit juice if you are on statins. They clash. (I miss my grapefruit.)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ever since I (purposely) lost a lot of weight (205 to 155) I tend to observe the weight of other people when I am eating in say Subway or shopping at Walmart or Kroger. My observation is that 7 out of 10 people are overweight and 5 out of 10 massively so. If being massively overweight really does lead to health problems, there are a lot of people out there who are rolling the dice.

George

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do like my PCP to be fit and give me flak if I am not doing what it takes to be healthy. My former PCP who was taking care of me for the past 15 years until I moved, was a triathlete. He had no qualms in saying to me that I had put on 10 lbs since my last visit and I needed to work on losing weight. Mind you, my BMI is between 20 to 21, so I am not overweight but I could be leaner and fitter. He kept me on my toes. I have several health issues which he would remind me that losing some weight would make me feel better, which was true.

When the PCP is unfit and unhealthy, it is more likely that the doctor would not harp on the patients to lead a healthier lifestyle.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes...the nephew probably doesn't want to be grilled by his aunt! <snip>.

IMHO, if the nephew (or niece or other form of friend or relative) is over 17 and not in high school ... and asking anyone for money, they truly should expect to be grilled ... by the bank, credit union and particularly, RELATIVES. There is NO FREE RIDE in life and if you ask, hint, beg, cry and any other way ask for assistance (cash, food, lodging, cars, loans) ... you are opening yourself and your prior choices for review.

As for NOT wanting to be grilled by his aunt ... his bad.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Don't drink that grapefruit juice if you are on statins. They clash. (I miss my grapefruit.)

Not on any medications thankfully.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Always amazes me how we can be so critical of some people and so supportive of others!

I belong to several heart forums because of the LVAD I have implanted. When someone posts asking if others still smoke, they get flamed by most responses. People telling them that it kills and they are stupid for doing it.

But, when they post about wanting to lose weight, they get great positive advice!

What's the difference? They both will eventually kill.

Probably because smoking is just a plain nasty habit and over eating isn't. LOL.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Always amazes me how we can be so critical of some people and so supportive of others!

I belong to several heart forums because of the LVAD I have implanted. When someone posts asking if others still smoke, they get flamed by most responses. People telling them that it kills and they are stupid for doing it.

But, when they post about wanting to lose weight, they get great positive advice!

What's the difference? They both will eventually kill.

Probably because smoking is just a plain nasty habit and over eating isn't. LOL.

Just an FYI- I had read years ago that weight was not an indicator of mortality. Illness/medical issues- yes. But heavier people actually lived longer than their thinner counterparts.

Lots of slender people die every day of various illnesses.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI- I had read years ago that weight was not an indicator of mortality. Illness/medical issues- yes. But heavier people actually lived longer than their thinner counterparts.

Lots of slender people die every day of various illnesses.
I believe what you read is that slightly overweight outlives underweight people. The main reason is that when one falls sick, the underweight person has less reserve to lose and more difficult to recover.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
Here is an idea, that no one would endorse, but could actually work in my opinion VERY CRAZY opinion.

Have all the obese people like myself, daily use crack cocaine.. (i've heard it causes weight loss)
After so long, and the weight is gone, put them in rehab..
Teach them to eat healthier, get off the drugs, exercise... whatever they do in rehab.

So lets quit crying about fat people and offer solutions, maybe not as crazy has mine, but solutions to the problems we are all facing whether it be being fat or paying for fat people.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
10 years ago, my new doctor YELLED at me to lose weight. He was 80+ years old and put me on the favorite 2 meds many of us have ... blood pressure & satins. And the doctor demanded I come see him EVERY 3 months. So I lost 50lbs plus over 2 years .... and have held steady on the weight. I told the guys I worked with, I was going to be a PAIN in their butts ... but I needed to get approved for longterm care insurance. After the 2 years, I applied and got a much lower rate for LTC .. but regarding my RN sister (living on the West Coast), I got to call her up and gloat (she told me I would NOT get approved for LTC and if I did, it would be a HIGH premium).

And my knees stopped hurting me. And my sugar level dropped down.

PS For the first month, I brought a QVC pre-package 30 day diet with food shipped to my house. Portion control and smaller meals. No, I did not renew ... but it "trained me" to eat smaller portions and keep bad food OUT of my house. And I still LOOKED at the bakery items ... I just don't buy them.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Here is an idea, that no one would endorse, but could actually work in my opinion VERY CRAZY opinion.

Have all the obese people like myself, daily use crack cocaine.. (i've heard it causes weight loss)
After so long, and the weight is gone, put them in rehab..
Teach them to eat healthier, get off the drugs, exercise... whatever they do in rehab.

So lets quit crying about fat people and offer solutions, maybe not as crazy has mine, but solutions to the problems we are all facing whether it be being fat or paying for fat people.

No need to be so drastic, there are programs that are structured to support people that WANT to lose weight and get healthier.

I'm on this program, lost 18.5 lbs so far in week 15, and have transformed my eating and exercise habits.

https://www.bluemesahealth.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk