• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thrifty Car Rental on Kauai

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read (here on TUG, IIRC) about horrendous lines at the Thrifty Car Rental counter at Lihue. Is it still that bad?

I have 2 car reservations for April -- Thrifty through discounthawaiicarrental.com, and Budget from CostcoTravel. I really should give one up. The thing is: 1) the Thrifty reservation is cheaper, and 2) new quotes are nearly double from what I got in December. I've now joined Thrifty's Blue Chip program (thanks DaveNV for a rec from an old thread), and I've always belonged to Budget FastBreak.

I'd give up the Budget reservation, but I'm fearful of hours-long lines at Thrifty. And since I added the Blue Chip program after making the Thrifty ressie, I'm not sure it's gonna help. Or I can keep both, and cancel the other after picking up a car.

Any insights or advice? Thanks.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also exclusively use Budget if the airport has the fastbreak option. The price differential would have to be like $200 or more for me to accept standing in a rental car line foe an 1 1/2hr. And Costco usually has the best cost so not sure why pricing would be that different.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The thing to do is look at when the arriving planes show up. If there are a couple coming in within 30 minutes prior of your flight it could be a wait as everyone seems to going with the cheap quote which seem to be Thrifty. If your flight doesn't have any flights coming in within 30 minutes prior of your flight and you can bee line it to Thrifty while someone else gets the luggage handled you will probably be ok.

We used Thrifty and discounthawaiiancarrental and it did take about 90 minutes at HNL mostly because there were so few employees working. If Thrifty had more than two counter people and one employee getting the keys at the kiosk it would have been much faster. I have the Blue Chip program and as I was in line I watched the big tv at Thrifty advertising the skip the line which wasn't available at HNL because of a lack of employees. I saw one guy coming in to the rental center who was a bit upset that he had went to the kiosk and was told to go to the counter. The only reason I knew about it was I googled where Thrifty was and it read that the program had been paused.

Bill

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing to do is look at when the arriving planes show up. If there are a couple coming in within 30 minutes prior of your flight it could be a wait as everyone seems to going with the cheap quote which seem to be Thrifty. If your flight doesn't have any flights coming in within 30 minutes prior of your flight and you can bee line it to Thrifty while someone else gets the luggage handled you will probably be ok.

Hmm. It looks like, between an hour before and an hour after our scheduled landing, there are 8 flights arriving in LIH. Perhaps MOXJO7282 has the right idea. It's only about a $50 difference for the Budget reservation.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I rented from thrifty in Kauai last month. Other than a short wait and a rep who insisted on reading the entire insurance liability horror story that I’m responsible for since I declined their overpriced coverage, it was ok. I had to go back and get a different car when they didn’t give me one with a covered baggage area or trunk, so that took longer. Otherwise, it was perfectly fine. So not the best service, but pretty much what I expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our standard procedure when arriving in Kauai is that I hustle past baggage claim and hop on the shuttle bus as quickly as I can. DW stays behind to collect luggage. After I get the car, I return to baggage claim to pick her up. I started doing that after I got tired of getting stacked up behind other people on the plane picking up their cars. Plus, it's much easier to navigate the shuttle when all I have is my backpack.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Our standard procedure when arriving in Kauai is that I hustle past baggage claim and hop on the shuttle bus as quickly as I can. DW stays behind to collect luggage. After I get the car, I return to baggage claim to pick her up. I started doing that after I got tired of getting stacked up behind other people on the plane picking up their cars. Plus, it's much easier to navigate the shuttle when all I have is my backpack.
I do the same. Also, when leaving, I drop her off with the luggage, drop off the car, and take the shuttle back to avoid schlepping luggage on and off the shuttle.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We just returned fro Kauai and were staying at Marriotts Kauai Lagoons. The mainland flights start coming in around 3:30 and land one after another for a few hours.

We were on one of the earlier flights. we rented through Costco with Alamo. We utilized their skip the line option from their website. Most rental car companies have something similar where you put everything in and then receive a pickup ticket. You then skip the line and go straight to your car. Budget has Fastbreak. Sign up and put your reservation number in. Then all you should have to do is get on the shuttle bus and pick up your car.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I do the same. Also, when leaving, I drop her off with the luggage, drop off the car, and take the shuttle back to avoid schlepping luggage on and off the shuttle.
Same with us.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Perhaps MOXJO7282 has the right idea. It's only about a $50 difference for the Budget reservation.

I think so.

I think from now on I'm going to call or google if a location has the skip the counter option. The problem in Hawaii is that many people moved to the mainland causing a shortage of workers, imo.

Bill

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We just returned fro Kauai and were staying at Marriotts Kauai Lagoons. The mainland flights start coming in around 3:30 and land one after another for a few hours.

FWIW, my flight landed at 1pm from LAX.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
FWIW, my flight landed at 1pm from LAX.

I suspect there’s a few I missed coming in. I saw a few SWA’s flights and it’s hard to say the origin city. I saw one Hawaiian airline and one Alaska airline come in but I didn’t note the arrival times. Every day I’d see two AA flights, a United and a Delta flight arrive within an hour or so of each other mixed in with some Hawaiian airline 717’s.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrived three weeks ago at 6:30 PM. It took about 45 minutes to pickup my AVIS rental. They closed the AVIS facility at 5 PM and everyone is processed at Budget. They had my Preferred reservation, but not the paperwork nor had they assigned a car. It was apparent that in many cases it didn’t make any difference as to what car you reserved, you got what was available. I had reserved a standard car and was offered a pickup truck or a four door Jeep! The problem is they are short of cars and they are short staffed. It is the same story: no one wants to work. BTW, I also head to the car rental as soon as we get off the plane and then come around and pick up DW with the bags.